Re-blocking an old Vic.

Hiya,

We are paying off our PPOR in Victoria and are looking to spend a bit to fix the floor, walls & doors. The place has never been restumped and the front of the house seems to be shifting a lot i.e. large cracks and doors jamming etc. Is it possible to stump half the house i.e. the front? The house still has the original floorboards and you would have to tear them up to get under the floor as there is no access underneath...? I don't want to spend a fortune but I'm wondering if it will add a lot of value to the place?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Hi, I've just done to my PPOR what you're contemplating; restumped half my old Vic house in melbourne.
Hiya,

We are paying off our PPOR in Victoria and are looking to spend a bit to fix the floor, walls & doors. The place has never been restumped and the front of the house seems to be shifting a lot i.e. large cracks and doors jamming etc. Is it possible to stump half the house i.e. the front?
Yes, but I did this because in the next year or two I'll be knocking down the half that I didn't have restumped.

The house still has the original floorboards and you would have to tear them up to get under the floor as there is no access underneath...?
If there is no access from outside then yes, some floor boards will have to be lifted.

I don't want to spend a fortune but I'm wondering if it will add a lot of value to the place?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

No it does not add value to the house. In fact it made mine look much worse as whole chunks of walls and ceilings fell down as a result of the restumping.

However, if you want to have internal plaster cracks fixed for the medium to long term you need to take one step back by restumping, before taking two steps forward.

If you want to repair the cracks to increase the value in a sale situation then I wouldn't restump but do just do a superficial fix of the cracks (as that's all that can be done without restumping). However if you plan on living in the place for at least a few years, then it would be worthwhile restumping.

Good luck :)

Have you considered restumping the entire house, and raising it to legal height beneath? That would allow for additional rooms and really add value.

Just a thought!

We just brought a new property on the weekend which will need to be restumped. Does anyone have an idea of cost?

carumble

I had a quote for restumping and raising a 2-bed house last month. Cost $25-30K. Don't know how this compares with others' quotes?

Back