Living off Equity - is this still an option?

Bill.L said:
Hi all,

I also think Simon's approach is brilliant. They value add to each property as they progress. They gain by sweat equity, that works exceptionally well in a boom market, as they have proved, but also works in a flat market with careful selection. However their approach is not for everybody, and does still require hard work (doesn't it Simon).

bye

Hi bill
I consider, riding a push bike for 25k's as hard work or working out at the gym as hard work or learning and continuing to play a musical instrument. Aren't those activities looked upon by some as pleasurable?
I believe it is all in the eye of the beholder. So if you reckon it's hard work doing what I do then for you it must be, as for me, I love it and will keep on doing it till I find no more pleasure in the activity:) No personal attack or malice intended or inferred in any way. Just making a valid point.
Kind regards
Simon

Hi all
I have decided that LOE for me at present stands for Leaning On Equity.
While I still continue to grow my property portfolio this will remain the case.
Technically I am living off the income received from my property portfolio.
If I were to stop work today I would still be living off the income received from my portfolio. The equity increases, "when and IF" they eventuate will still support the maintenance of the portfolio. This is acheived through a careful balance of the overall LVR. As long as my overall portfolio increases it's value over time and my LVR decreases I see no reason for this to change unless something more than normal market pressures come along and knock us over.
I apologise to those who consider my strategy as "not living off equity"
But I reckon it works for me which ever way you look at it.
Kind regards
Simon

simonjulie said:
Hi all
I have decided that LOE for me at present stands for Leaning On Equity.

I apologise to those who consider my strategy as "not living off equity"
But I reckon it works for me which ever way you look at it.
Kind regards
Simon

Simon , I know when I've been involved in these debates in the past I've had no problems with how you structure your investing , but I felt frustrated when you defended LOE and then used you structure to defend it.

Maybe Investing of Equity ( IOE ) would be a more descriptive term :)

Others would be Retireing on Equity ( ROE ).

See Change

Hi all,

In response to Salsa's question....

"post the risks you think LOE have since others did not post them"

I have put together a very long post (or couple of posts) to try and show where some of the risks are in LOE as portrayed by Alan.

This involves normal market behaviour without a major decline of any type, and those who think "this time it will be different" and we don't have that type of market behaviour any more, please explain why. (by major I am referring to a 50% or more type of decline that we have had at least 3 times in the last century)

Salsa,

I will try to identify the risks to the strategy by using a couple of examples.

Scenario 1.

The first example involves a sharemarket correction over 2 years of 25-30% with a flat property market. Our income fund, because it is a trading fund (anything that pays higher than dividends is trading) also has an equally poor couple of years, but still manages to make 6% per year.

Using the correct figures, you could only borrow $1,816,000 at an 80% leverage against the PPOR and 3 IPs that have a value of $2,270,000. This would have to be a No doc loan as the retiring couple are honest with their lender. Alan allowed 6.7% as the interest (and no other costs). Perhaps a little bit of wishful thinking, but lets run with that number anyway.

Interest on $1,816,000 at 6.7% = $121,672.

We then use that money and borrow a further $1,816,000 using a margin lender to buy into our income fund. On this margin loan we pay 8.5%.

Interest on $1,816,000 at 8.5% = $154,360

Total interest = $276,032.

We invest the $3,632,000 in the income fund.
We are unlucky to have invested near the peak of the stockmarket, and in the first year it falls 15%. Our income fund also falls the same 15% but still has a 6% payout. This means our fund has had a net performance of -9% for the year, which would still put it amongst the better performing funds!!

How does our situation look???

Income from the fund at 6% of $3,632,000 = $217,920
Income from rental IPs = $55,000
Total income = $272,920

We then need to subtract the interest bill of $276,032

Our Net income for the year = -$3112

So our couple have nothing to live off in the first year. They also do not qualify for any financial assistance from centrelink as they have too many assets. Back to work if they can find it for the 50 year olds, and would be desperate to find anything because of the interest cost.

Basically the whole concept of living off the equity has already fallen apart for this couple. They would look back and see that if they had not gone into any debt at all, and stuck to the income from their 3 IPs they would have had an income of $55,000 and enjoyed the company of their grandchildren that year.

Lets go forward to year 2.
They start the year with a 15% loss in the income fund. This equates to a loss of $544,800 in the value of their investment. The value of their fund “units” is $3,087,200
The income fund again makes 6% income but losses 10% the same as the overall market.

The payout is now 6% of $3,087,200 = $185,232
Plus the income from the IPs that has gone up 3% = $56,650

Total income = $241,882
Now we subtract the interest bill of $276,032

Net income of -$34,150 !!!!!
Does anyone really think that this couple would still be involved in such a scheme????

Yet the income fund has still outperformed the market by losing only 13% over the 2 years of a common 25% correction in the market.

To add insult to injury, the value of the income fund is now down another $308,720 to only $2,778,480. Luckily we are still above a margin call but over 65% leverage getting close enough for the couple to start worrying about it.

Lets go forward another year but this time it is much better. The market goes up 10%, so does the income fund and it has an income of 9% as well.
Income from fund = $250,063
Income from IPs = $58,350

Total income = $308,412
Minus total interest bill of $276,032

Net income = $32,380

Net increase in value of fund $277,848

After 3 years in the fund the couple is still working, and has a lower income off their LOE strategy than if they had retired to live off the rent income of their IPs.
Yet in that time the income fund has performed better than the overall market in each year.

Scenario 2 (I warned you this would be a Loooooong post)

The couple are unlucky enough to invest at exactly the wrong time, and the nature of the income fund has it involved with some stocks that underperform the overall market by a couple of percent.

The market has a performance like ’97 or ’98 where it plunges 30% but then recovers and has a slight loss for the year. Our fund near the bottom of the panic has plunged to be down 35%.
The margin lender gives our couple a call.
As they have used all available equity, they will have to sell assets at precisely the wrong time to meet the margin call.
Assuming a maximum leverage of 70%, the minimum value of their investment into the fund could fall to is $2,594,286 before they get the margin fall. (A fall in value of about 28.5%). A 35% fall in the value of the income fund takes its value down $1,271,200 to only $2,360,800. The maximum margin loan on this would be $1,652,560. Our couple would have to raise (by selling assets) $163,340 to meet this margin call( and hoping that the market does not go down again tomorrow as they are leveraged to 70%).
The value of their holding in the fund has now declined to $2,197,460, however this again affects a margin call as we can now only borrow $1,538,222 against this amount.!!!

The reality in this situation is our couple would have to sell $550,000 of their income fund to meet the margin requirements of the 35% fall at the bottom of the market.

The numbers..
Value of fund holdings $2,360,800
Less $550,000 in sold assets = new value of $1,810,800
Pay $550,000 off the margin account = new borrowings on margin = $1,266,000
The couple are now margined at 69.9%
The market then turns around, the fund goes up 40% from these lows to have a slightly down year.
The value of the couples holdings go up from $1,810,800 to $2,535,120

Irrespective of what the income is, our couple have had the value of their fund holding go down from $3,632,000 to $2,535,120 a loss of $1,096,880
While the size of their borrowings have gone down $550,000.
This is a net loss of $546,880 for the year, even though the fund was up 40% from the lows and only slightly down for the year!!!

How confident do you think the retired couple trying to Live Off Equity would be feeling????

bye

see_change said:
Simon , I know when I've been involved in these debates in the past I've had no problems with how you structure your investing , but I felt frustrated when you defended LOE and then used you structure to defend it.

Maybe Investing of Equity ( IOE ) would be a more descriptive term :)

Others would be Retireing on Equity ( ROE ).

See Change
Hi Sea Change
I am a little confused by your statement :confused:
Yes I agree with your term investing off equity would sit well with what I am currently doing. However, if I were to stop work today and not buy another property ever, then would I be Retiring off equity? The reality is that even though I am technically living off the income from the properties, that income is insuficiant to meet costs so therefore I would need to refinance as the need arises to cater for the shortfall and living expenses. Hence I then believe that I would be living off equity.
The point that I have been trying to make with previous posts is that Structures like Steve Navras' are Not the only way to acheive Financial independence. There must be lot's of different strategies out there and I still believe strongly that mine is one of them. :)
Kind regards
Simon

Sorry if I confused you Simon.

Think we're discussing semantics and we probably both have better things to do with our time.

Bill

I'm glad someone has more enthusiasm and time for this debate than I do :D . Nice post.

See Change

Hi again,

Before the promoters of such schemes get all huffetty and puffetty, my opinion on the possibility of such corrections happening now are at a probability of about 1 in 5. But how many 50 year olds who have the type of assets our mythical couple have would be prepared to take such a high risk just to get a potentially higher income than their "safe" $55,000 pa from rents????

The obvious answer will to have lower debt levels and a lower margin on the income fund to allow for such contingencies. This of course will lower the potential return, and bring the income back towards the "safe" income level.

Some general points on funds as well, most market funds tend to have the greatest inflow of funds just before market peaks, and their major outflow of funds around major bottoms of the market. This is just part of normal market behaviour/patterns. However the influence it has on the funds is generally to make them invest most of this cash at market peaks, and be sellers around market bottoms. Hence the average of all funds tend to be below the performance of the market itself, before any fees are withheld for administration etc.

Alan,

When will you and other promoters of such schemes acknowledge that there is a potential downside, and use examples so that people can see what happens when they are highly leveraged and things don't go according to plan???

That is the way people can assess the risks, decide for themselves if it is worth it or where they would be more comfortable (somewhere between 0% and the 61.5% leverage in your example)

bye

If all you people would only realise that "Cashflow Positive" Ip is King we wouldn't be having this long winded cyclical debate again ;) :D

Rixter said:
If all you people would only realise that "Cashflow Positive" Ip is King we wouldn't be having this long winded cyclical debate again ;) :D

Agree 100 % ... :D , though that should be cash flow pos before tax considerations........ :eek:

See Change

Thank you for answering my questions with a long post BillL.
Also thanks to others for their inputs to the debate.
I am at work now so will have to have a good read of everything later tonight.

This debate is very relevant to me as many of the parameters about this "mystical couple" are closely resemblant to ours.....including age and all .... except we have not yet committed to any formal investment plan.

Regards,

salsa said:
Thank you for answering my questions with a long post BillL.
Also thanks to others for their inputs to the debate.
I am at work now so will have to have a good read of everything later tonight.

This debate is very relevant to me as many of the parameters about this "mystical couple" are closely resemblant to ours.....including age and all .... except we have not yet committed to any formal investment plan.
Regards,

I don't see why you need to commit. For me flexibility is important. Given that we don't know what is going to happen in the future , to commit to one plan for the next x years is one of my concerns.

I like to think of my investment plan as a tool box.

I have some tools in there that I've used before and if I see the appropriate situation to use it , I'll use it and possibly many times . Every one has their favourite tool...

If I see the landscape has changed I'll use a different tool .

If I can't find the right tool , I'll go off and read up and find a new tool.

If some says you've got to have this latest fantasmagorical gadget I'll check it out and if I think it will work at this stage of in the future , I'll put it in my tool box. If I don't like the look of it I won't put it in my tool box, but I need to be open to changing my mind.

See Change

see_change said:
Agree 100 % ... :D , though that should be cash flow pos before tax considerations........ :eek:

See Change

Of coarse seech ......there is no other type, although its better to have a surplus after tax than before with no chance of CG ;) :eek: :D

Hi Guys
"Cashflow +ve is King".
I reckon that is only part of the strategy.
"Capital growth is King and cashflow is the Queen".(does that sound sexist?)
keeping the balance is the key.
Kind regards
Simon

See Change,
I believe in planning and hence would "commit to a plan " (or a strategy I guess). I would have also planned for contingencies etc and then review/adjust the plan as required (= get different tools out of my tool box).

So I think we do not disagree just different terminologies.

Simon,
Love it:
"Capital growth is King and cashflow is the Queen and SALSA IS THE ONLY PRINCESS" !!!!

Regards,

see_change said:
I like to think of my investment plan as a tool box.

I have some tools in there that I've used before and if I see the appropriate situation to use it , I'll use it and possibly many times . Every one has their favourite tool...

If I see the landscape has changed I'll use a different tool .

If I can't find the right tool , I'll go off and read up and find a new tool.
Well said seech. Like the way you think.

Regards
Marty

Hi All

Interesting discussion and I like your figures Bill.

I must put up my hand as being in the Alan H camp. I am 50 and we are following a version of the strategy that Alan has outlined.

Where we vary, and in part reflecting the risks that Bill has outlined, we have utilised margin lending up to 50% but have an equivalent LOC availability unused. So if there was a margin call then we could simply draw down the LOC and wait it out. Most of the other 50% is our money (or at least money in our various company structures) and then we have more realestate against which we can still raise substantial funds.

All up we pay less than 7% interest for both margin loans and LOC's.

To me, be it that capital is at risk, the more immediate risk is if income is less than the interest payable but as this is at about 4% it is again a risk I feel I have mitigated to a degree.

My exit strategy hinges around a boom scenario where the going is getting so good that it becomes time to start divesting out of that investment.

Bill, in your examples you have concentrated very much on the negative with the market loosing but prior to each of these losses there was a massive booming market and that is really the flag as to what to do and be proactive rather than reactive ones it stops booming.

Cheers

handyandy said:
Hi All

All up we pay less than 7% interest for both margin loans and LOC's.

To me, be it that capital is at risk, the more immediate risk is if income is less than the interest payable but as this is at about 4% it is again a risk I feel I have mitigated to a degree.

Cheers

Hi H/Andy,
This just raises more queries....
Can you clarify what the 4% refers to ?

Ta

kp

boom what boom?

Good discussion. Bill I think there has to be a very negative worst case scenario employed for anyone planning on LOE (some of the equity is used for living expenses) and even those investing off equity (100% of equity is used for investing) such as myself.

To find the strength of a structure you should tear it down.

So play out the gloom scenarios, but then invest the best you can anyway, equity is a great tool for living and investing if handled correctly.

The sun is shining on our economy at the moment and it's very difficult to believe in the existence of dark clouds. It's possible that we will continue to have sunshine for the next 100 years, I really don't know.

Dark clouds do exist though and if you think they will never come back or have a plan in place should they arrive you are being foolish. I remember attending work experience at a Brisbane stock brokers office during school holidays in 1987, one of the guys with a city view from his window was busy packing all of his books and belongings into a box, I was told that he had 'lost a lot of money' in the crash. I asked one of the brokers 'Why doesn't he just hold his shares? They always come back in price don't they?" Later I learnt that my own Dad had a particular liking of blue chip stocks such as Quintex and Bond Corp, and I'm pretty sure they won't be coming back in price anytime soon. It should be said that some made a lot of money out of Bond and Skase before they tanked, dumb money will seek out smarter pockets.

In summary I think that equity is a great tool if employed correctly. Just make sure your worst case scenario takes into account the lessons of history.

Hi,

I first proposed the concept of living off equity well over 3 years ago!

Since then there have been many doom and gloom proponents warning of the potential downsides . . . and advocating a do nothing / beware of changing market scenario.

For these of us who (Within a risk management profile, with SANF buffers etc) have acted and utilised the structure the results over the past 3 years are as follows:

Property:
I strongly advocated property purchases in Brisbane since the start of 2002. (Based on Rental Reality)

Brisbane property growth 2002 to 2005:
$227,400 (2002) to $310,000 (2005) = 10.88% ave per year.

Shares:
Navrainvest since inception (2003) 19.66% average per year.

So for someone with $500,000 of equity available then to employ on a LOE structure . . . who had property worth for example 2,000,000 with $1,300,000 debt.

They might have purchased a $500,000 property in Brisbane. (($125,000 deposit and costs at 80%) and invested the balance of $375,000 into the fund with a 50% margin.

LOE would have provided an income of $75,000 per year.

The new property would be worth $681,600 (Gain of $181,600)
The share fund would assuming reinvestment be worth $856,676. (Gain of $106,676 after the margin loan.)

Existing properties would have increased from $2,000,000 to $2,662,000 (Average increase for Syd+ Melb+Bris+Perth+ Can) Gain of $662,000

Total gain = $950,276
Total spent = $75,000 X 3 = $225,000
Total interest $105,000 + $90,000 = $205,000

Net result = $520,276 positive. (And this after enjoying the extra $75,000 per year)

The point is that there is now a BUFFER of over $500,000 for possible future corrections in the market.

For those of you who listen to the doom 'n gloom crowd . . . please thank them for costing you about half a million dollars of value plus the last three years of very good living.

From those of us who had the forsight to actually invest, well 80% of the gain margined at 50% is now producing about an extra $100,000 of distributions per year. (At 10% pa)

PS: this quarters distribution is about 5.5% :p

The updated LOE article with all the latest refinements will appear on InvestEd this week.

Regards,
Steve

What will it cost you NOT to invest over the next 3 years??

This has been a great debate and I have really enjoyed reading both sides. I have one serious concern re living off equity and that is what happens if there is a recession and there is no growth for a number of years or even negative growth. If you have no cashflow outside of drawing down on debt you could be wiped out. Having said this, I can see a place for this strategy, but I don't think it is without its risks. Just my thoughts.

Regards
Alistair

Back