All Ords hit 5000...... What now?

see_change said:
I don't buy what I would class as speculative shares ( they all are making money , don't have excessive debt ( or shady deals being investigated ..) and arn't trading at reediculous PE ratios , )
If this is your buying philosophy then forget stop-losses. The AllOrds is in unchartered territory and people are edgy (me too) but if you buy a stock which meets your strict criteria, trust it. Until it fails for some time (read Gympie Gold and many others) hang in there and if your belief in the company is unchanged AVERAGE DOWN. For me, averaging down has converted many losses to modest profits.

Not being a practicing medico I have much more time than you to watch and make non-mathimatical decissions, That's a given.

see_change said:
Finally , something you said I disagree on ... ( though maybe it's just on the definition of what a stop loss is ...:) )

Anyone who buys a shares does it with the anticipation that the share will go up in price at some stage in the future. The reality is that doesn't always happen.

The market may turn , the company announces that three rogue traders have lost 500 mil , or what ever , but any share bought at any time runs the risk of going down for unforeseen reasons. In that situation the anticipation that the share is going to go up is not being met so the underlying premise on which the share was bought is now false . Anyone who holds a share at that stage is really buying and hoping . That's why you need a stop loss.
I'd agree that I'd place a stop loss on earnings rather than price. So it's a fundamental basis rather than TA. eg I never sold NAB after the FX scandal, dividends never fell (or rose) and they're now at new highs. I could have sold on the way down, incurred CGT & tried to pick the bottom. What I actually did was bought more on the way back up. Just don't mention TLS,PPX,AMC,TEN,FGL,FXJ,.... I'll be buying them if/when I see the signs.

I've mentioned quality before - if you buy quality stuff, you don't ever need to sell - applies to both IP & shares. And I'm prepared to buy quality at fair value not just at bargain basement prices.

A few years ago I was convinced TA was the way to go. Not all TA, just the stuff that related to reality eg support/resistance, volume, MA crossovers. I considered that much of it was data mining eg fib, double/triple tops, candlesticks.

Now I believe TA is ultimately driven by FA, but has a lot of chaos added by TAers, day traders, sentiment/newspapers.

see_change said:
I don't buy what I would class as speculative shares ( they all are making money , don't have excessive debt ( or shady deals being investigated ..) and arn't trading at reediculous PE ratios , ) , however at the time I buy a share I also know at what price I will sell it if that shares starts going down. They also do fulfil various technical criteria , increasing volume / price / momentum and a couple of other things thown in.

I'm aiming to go with the rising tide , but also try to outperform it. Is this speculating / trading ? Maybe if some what to define it as that it is , but if it makes me money I'm not really concerned.
I'd define what you are doing as low-risk trading. The way I (try to) beat the market is through leverage (same as IPs) rather than trading.

These discussions usually end up with people having different timeframes, shorter timeframes lead to trading, longer ones are favoured by investors. I'd agree with Thommo that you don't need stop losses, but if your timeframe is shorter & you need to beat the market try it. There's no point in traders holding stuff that is trending down.

When I traded it made me money, but it did my head in. If I was down $20K one day, I agonised over what I should have done differently (tighter stops , faster fingers, ignored the uptick that looked like a reversal) & it affected my family life. So now I have v. little input into it & it's made a lot more than the old trading days. The rising tide has helped of course. Of course, when it looks like turning I'll be looking for a different place to swim!

The only trading I do occasionally now is dividend stripping LPTs, espec the ones with quarterly dividends. They v. often return to their previous price within a week of XD. I consider it v. low risk. One recent trade that went well was buy MOF@$1.37, XD 2.82c 4 days later, sold 3 days later @$1.38. It was all on margin, so Cash on Cash return was infinite. If MOF never got back to $1.37, I'd hold it till it did because the underlying properties are worth that & the income stream is guaranteed @ 8%, easily covering the margin interest, and I see interest rates (the main driver of LPT prices) as stable.

I've finally come around to Buffets way of thinking, that you shouldn't try to jump 7 foot hurdles, find some 1 foot hurdles instead.

Cheers Keith

keithj said:
Hi DCA,

I agree with you about picking stocks based on fundamentals. However, other peoples opinions DO matter, especially people (like AMPs head honcho) who are quoted in newspapers. See Keynes beauty contest.

See my spreadsheet a few posts up about how I calculated Fair Value - I based it on fundamentals (historical PE) rather than opinion.

KJ
I have no problem with economist and all these experts and I dont disrespect them. They all have their place in the stock market.

I just have differents way of looking at my investment. I usually ignore all the noise and daily breaking news
I looks more than fundamentals, I will try to project their future earnings and intangible assets. Look at their business model, will they survive the next 5 years. Would China has anything that would cut their earning, Will oil price drive down their profits etc..

People are so fixated on resource booms that they are missing out alot alot more better bargain out their :). Some of them dump money into Uranium venture I dont know if they investing or gambling :).
remember alot of Uranium money you wont see for at least 3-5 years down the track and even then you dont even know how much these company actually get until proper accounting are in place.

Look at stuff around you, you usually suprise to find there are alot of good stocks that you happen to use every day :)
Here is one thing I see and I want to share :). GPS related products ..for me I bought it 2 years ago and position nicely last 2 years...

I actually spot 3 more trends. I come back in 2 years and share :=)

Pasted from reefcap for those who arn't members

http://lightning.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~reefcap/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000281;p=1#000008

Well 4 "experts" gave their opinion on this mornings Business Sunday.

ALI MOORE: Gentlemen thank you very much for joining me. I think we've got three bulls and a bear which is probably pretty reflective of market sentiment at the moment. Let's start with a politician, and the Federal Treasurer no less, Peter Costello says he put all your eggs in the resource basket and in a few years time he'll be as badly off as those who bet on the tech boom. Let's start with you Shane, is he right?

SHANE OLIVER, AMP Capital: I think it's always wrong to put all your eggs in the one basket, you need diversification and there's always going to be volatility in individual shares and the overall share market but I think the situation we have today is very different to the tech boom. Back in March 2000, Nasdaq, that was the index dominated by the tech stocks, was trading on a PE of nearly a hundred times the dot coms, trading on PE's near infinity, very little profit growth, whereas this time around, the resources stocks are generating very, very strong profit growth, 50 percent, often more.

MOORE: So has this boom got more than a few years to run?

OLIVER: My feeling is that it's got many years to run.

MOORE: Justin, are you as optimistic as Shane, a long, long time, if indeed you are, can you put a time-frame on it, is five, ten, fifteen years?

JUSTIN BRAITLING, Wilson Asset Management : Sure. If you look at the industrialisation of China, if it follows the same course as Japan and Korea, then this process lasts, you know, a number of decades and we're very early in that process.

MOORE: Greg, what are the charts telling you, I mean, is this sort of demand, this level of demand sustainable over that period of time?

GREG TOLPIGIN, GH Financial : A lot of these commodity prices haven't done anything for 20 years, I mean, we're talking about silver prices, gold prices, copper prices, these sorts of things are awakening from 20 years or, 25 years in some cases, of poor performances. So, when you're leaving behind that sort of activity, you tend to see some very, very big, large and longer term price movements that tend to underpin what we are seeing in the equity market.

MOORE: Gerard, in the face of all of this, you're the bear, how can you possibly be bearish?

GERARD MINACK, Morgan Stanley: Well, two points. First is there's a lot of other areas in the market I'm more worried about than the resources, but if you just focus on the resource sector I always like to distinguish between on the one hand the economics, and on the second the investment case. Now, there's lots of other areas in the market where this same sort of volume arguments are true as well, so on a one or two year view, I'd be happy to buy these things but I think extrapolating out for ten and twenty years is way too optimistic.

OLIVER: I think that's a bit too negative, I mean if you look at the resources sector, it is a big chunk of our export income, and each year every time we see commodity prices rise that leads to higher profits for companies like BHP and Rio and some of that flows through into the Government budget surplus.

MINACK: We are truly the lucky country. I mean just as we had the consumer adjustment start, we had land in our lap, this once in a generation commodity price windfall. I think it's too early to say however the consumer's escaped its problems. We're still leveraging up at an enormous rate, we're still seeing home owners borrow six-billion dollars a month for (unintelligable) led investments, I mean this is good money going into a bad investment. More-over we can focus on the upside of China and the exports there but let me tell you, there's only one thing that's grown faster than exports to China, and that's our imports from China.

MOORE: But how much does that demand in China trickle through to all those other sectors of our economy that people want to invest in. I mean, how many companies are really going to reap the benefit of China's boom in the next two, three, four years?

OLIVER: It's broad-based, you see what happens is that obviously the key sector benefiting is the mining sector but as income levels rise there people get paid more, they spend that money in the rest of the economy and you get a flow-on to the rest of the economy.

MOORE: Can you see some value?

MINACK: Very stock specific. But in aggregate we have a market where the profit share of GDP's at all time highs… and that's the case.

MINACK: US, Europe, Japan.

MINACK: You're absolutely right. Why, this is, Australia is as I describe it, a part of a global bubble, we are worlds best practice in my view, in terms of the bubble but this is not just an Australian problem and what I'd argue is, we are being swept along now in part, on the back of a global wave of euphoria and I don't think...

MOORE: But what *****s that? What *****s that?

MINACK: What *****s that is you can have these things ***** without a trigger that that's obvious and I'd ask all the panellists — here we are, six years after the Nasdaq top, can anybody say what was the trigger then?

TOLPIGIN: The trigger was, in January, US bond yields peaked in January and they were falling for two months signalling that the strength of that US economy had ended and I think, as Gerard's probably point is that there are going to be some aspects that are of concern out there, there are some head winds for the markets in the next few years and I think...

MOORE: But headwinds are a lot different to substantially changing the…

MINACK: I think we're now at the stage where people have pushed up these things, risk appetites are so aggressive at the moment that it doesn't take much bad news to get a large reaction.

OLIVER: Nasdaq — there were a few things that ultimate led to the peak, Nasdaq was trading on an exceptional PE, a hundred times. BHP is trading on about 14 times…

OLIVER: Very, very different. Very hard to say that BHP and Rio are in a bubble.

MINACK: I don't think they are as big a bubble... but it's more the issue of the trigger. I mean, to say the Nasdaq was expensive in March 2000 — absolutely, but it was expensive a month before, a year before, two years before, given how far it ultimately fell, it was expensive five years...

OLIVER: I'm saying it was expensive five years before.

MINACK: That's right.

BRAITLING: If you want to look at the specific events which led to the unravelling of the tech bubble, first of all it was an additional call of a 100-billion dollars of capital to fund the third generation mobile licences. I think the fundamentals are much stronger in this mining boom and it's all to do with the industrialisation of China and the issues we talked about.

MOORE: As Gerard, you say, everyone is riding this particular wave, I mean, so what? I mean everyone can be right can't they?

MINACK: Not, not but not everybody's riding the, the mining wave. I think the wave I'm talking about is the leverage investment in markets. I mean, everything's gone up over the last three years. We're not just talking about mining stocks we're talking about financial stocks, we're talking about credits, everything where risk is involved has performed well.

MOORE: So are you seeing signs of a rational exuberance? Are you seeing the??

MINACK: I think in some parts of the global markets absolutely.

OLIVER: It's fair to look around — you can certainly say there's risks there. As households we've taken on a lot of debts compared to the past but you've got to see something that goes wrong to trigger that, either a big rise in unemployment or interest rates and right now I can't see either of those occurring on a big enough basis to cause big problems for Australian consumers, or therefore, the banks.

MOORE: So, is that fair to say, there's three of you all in that camp, no really big issues on the immediate horizon?

TOLPIGIN: I think there are some big issues on the horizon, but it's just a matter of whether the market can overlook those in the short term, obviously any of these concerns, for example the oil price, geo-political concerns in what's happening in Iran, and if the US Federal Reserve continues to raise rates where it *****s the housing bubble there are probably your three main global concern.

OLIVER: I would sort of see the oil price and there's a few other problems around the world like the rise in bond yields, and interest rates, there's a possibility that China might announce a monetary tightening sometime in the next couple of weeks to slow their economy down just a touch, all of those things have the potential to cause a correction in our market. Last year we saw two corrections, around April and October, both of the order of eight per cent, or so, both of them were associated with higher bond yields and oil price concerns, but, of course, with both of those corrections the market then came back down and then moved back up...

MOORE: So you'd say a healthy pause is what we're likely to be in for but not a fundamental change.

OLIVER: Yes, we have seen an eleven per cent in the market - our market so far this year, other markets are up by similar, if not greater amounts, so we are due for a bit of a pause at some point.

MOORE: Let me ask all of you, given the scenario that we've painted about the current situation and what's ahead, do you hold, do you sell, or do you buy, Greg?

TOLPIGIN: I think you buy.

MOORE: You buy.

TOLPIGIN: You buy.

MOORE: Alright we'll get to where you buy in a minute. Shane

OLIVER: Right now I'd be holding and I would use any correction as an opportunity to buy into the market.

MOORE: I guess you'll just…

MINACK: Short term, short term, I'm with Shane, I don't think we're at the top yet. I think markets may have a one or two months celebration if the Federal Reserve brings to an end its rate increases but I'd be selling into that rally.

BRAITLING: I think there's a strong corporate profit momentum in place and consequently I think the earnings expectations will be met and the stock market can move ahead.

MOORE: So is now a good time to buy, or sit for and wait for a little correction?

BRAITLING: I would hold.

MOORE: You'd hold. Ok the question then is, when it does come time to buy, what do you buy. I mean if you look at resources, you've got massive share price increases just in the last couple of months alone coming off a very high base. Let's perhaps start with you this time, give us your topics?

BRAITLING: Well if you look at the earnings forecast, a large portion in earnings growth that the market's looking for is coming from the international growth companies, NewsCorp, Aristocrat, ResMed, these types of companies.

MOORE: How about you?

MINACK: If you had to invest I'd go for off-shore companies as well. I'd go for QBE a world-class insurer, I'd go for Brambles, which is in turnaround mode, and I'd also go for Westfield.

MOORE: Shane…

OLIVER: I'd be focussing on two main areas. One is the resources sector, I think that's still worth looking at...

MOORE: Even though BHP's off something like 30 percent just since January.

OLIVER: Certainly had a great gain but the PEs are still quite reasonable and my feeling is that earnings growth will remain quite strong for that.. that sector driving further gains in the resources stocks, so I certainly think that's one area to look at. On top of that, another one worth looking at is the health care stocks. Health care is being driven by very rapid growth on the back of innovative products and good off-shore expansion, stocks like CSL and Cochlear and ResMed and those sorts of companies.

MOORE: Greg, what are the charts telling you?

TOLPIGIN: If you're looking in the resources area, I mean I continually like stocks like Beach Petroleum, for example, stocks that potentially when there is consolidation in the industry, and oil companies start to merge and acquire each other, you want to be owning one of those stocks that's being acquired and get a premium for your investment. Outside the resources sector my favourite out there is IBA Health...

MOORE: So you're sort of next tier down really aren't you?

TOLPIGIN: Yeah, I think so, I think, look, that's where I think the best opportunities are going to lie with stocks specific, opportunities in sectors where there is a lot of growth.

MOORE: I do want to just ask you, was anyone keeping more cash? Any one putting a little bit away in case there's a rainy day? You are?

MINACK: Well I unfortunately still have an investment that gives me a guaranteed, after tax, return of seven percent, which I just don't think the stockmarket can do, apart from a mortgage.

MOORE: Despite a 22 percent return last year.

MINACK: Despite that, I mean, I wish I'd have put it in the stock market a year ago but if I had a dollar today I'd pay down my mortgage.

MOORE: Well it's a brave man who calls an end early isn't it? Gentlemen, thank you very, very much for joining us.

Interesting to note that the ( so called ) bear is still positive about the short term , he's just wary about predicting to far in advance , which is my take on what people should be doing anyway . Invest but keep your eyes open.

See Change

DCA said:
Here is one thing I see and I want to share :). GPS related products ..for me I bought it 2 years ago and position nicely last 2 years...

I actually spot 3 more trends. I come back in 2 years and share :=)

It's easy to look backwards and say what you bought two years ago and how smart your were :rolleyes: . In medicine it's called the retrospectoscope. Mine infallible , but it's a fools tool.

So do you have the guts to share or are you just trying to talk yourself up ? :eek:

IMHO ( PS this is not a recommendation to buy , but purely posted for educational purposes ...:) )
One area that doesn't take to much brains to pick are those companies that provide services to the mining companies . While the hole in the ground may turn out to be valueless it's still worth something to the company that drills it.

Companies that are involved in site maintainence , providing equipment to people within the industry are also a worthwhile look.

See Change

see_change said:
IMHO ( PS this is not a recommendation to buy , but purely posted for educational purposes ...:) )
One area that doesn't take to much brains to pick are those companies that provide services to the mining companies . While the hole in the ground may turn out to be valueless it's still worth something to the company that drills it.
Hi Seech, At risk of talking myself up:rolleyes:, I'm holding as much ORI as BHP, they supply explosives. I see it as a lower risk (& dividend paying) way of accessing some of the res sector growth - it was lucky for me it didn't take much brains to pick it:). KJ

keithj said:
The way I (try to) beat the market is through leverage (same as IPs) rather than trading.

These discussions usually end up with people having different timeframes, shorter timeframes lead to trading, longer ones are favoured by investors.
Kieth,

As most everyone here is aware, I am a relative novice when it comes to investing. However, the approach you have outlined is that which I personally am most comfortable with and am trying to employ. I have taken a highly leveraged position in the ASX using what I consider to be a quality blue chip portfolio. My returns to date have been modest compared to the XJOAI, but due to the power of the leverage I have employed it has delivered excellent results for me in total dollars terms. I am much more comfortable leveraging into this sort of portfolio than if I was stock picking myself. I also intend to ride the equities bull run for all its worth and then when I spot better value in real estate then I intend to switch markets. I only look at the very macro picture and try and stay appraised of the drivers of value in the respective markets. Current and projected yields are my most notable tool. Of course, the Somersoft barometer is also an invaluable tool in assessing the relative strengths of the equities and property markets.

The recent posts on this thread, including primarily the graphs from yourself and Mark have been excellent. Thank You both!

I know this is a strategy that has been rebuked by many here and is not that which is recommended by advisors such as Navra, but its the strategy that I have chosen to employ. Time will tell if it is an appropriate one. Note I didn't say "the right one" as I believe there are many "right" strategies and no one iron clad best way to investing. All I hope for is that my strategy is effective. I personally believe it has the correct balance between timing and time-in the market.

I am also now in the process of stretching the LVR on my margin loan to get a few hundred thousand more into play. My LVR was a very conservative 45% to date, but now I aim to push it to 60%. I could stretch it even further but want to leave a bit in reserve to avoid the possibility of a margin call. The new cash is going to go to Platinum Asia as soon as I get my wife to sign the PDS... The stock is all in her name as the lower income earner so some education is required in order for her to agree to the position I want to take in the markets. We're a team and I won't do anything without her consensus.

When that is done we'll have $850K total in the equities markets working for us. If See Change, Thommo, yourself and I are correct, then that leveraged position at a 7.5% cost of capital should deliver very handsomely over the coming few years. Again, time will tell.

Thanks again for all the ongoing insight.

Cheers,
Michael.

DCA said:
Uranium venture I dont know if they investing or gambling :).
remember alot of Uranium money you wont see for at least 3-5 years down the track and even then you dont even know how much these company actually get until proper accounting are in place.
DCA,
good way to look at things,but some companys is Australia have for many years now exported uranium,and imho in three to four years down the track,after a share market peak,rising interest rates is anyones call..
good luck
willair

willair said:
DCA,
good way to look at things,but some companys is Australia have for many years now exported uranium,and imho in three to four years down the track,after a share market peak,rising interest rates is anyones call..
good luck
willair

Apologies DCA . That's one :)

In the long term uranium has to be an alternative that's used more extensively unless we come up with a way to using fusion ( that's assuming I remember by basic Physics...).

At the moment I'm using technical analysis as my first screen , and then I'm checking the fundamentals after that. The only uranium share that's triggered so far was not even a hole in the ground at that stage . Lots of potential , but no income , and I've been burnt by shares like that before so I avoid them.

I also think that Biotech is an area that will become more and more important as we are prepared to pay money to improve our quality and quantity of life. Hard to pick and at the moment . CSL is the big one in Australia and I have shares in them , though it was a relatively recent purchase . ( Again not a recommendation to purchase , do your own due dilligence ). There are many Biotechs with really nice sounding ideas , but which ones will succeed is hard to pick as the good idea is only a small part of the success equation.

See Change

I'll also mention what I think is another obvious one , and there have been a couple of high profile performers in the area.

Companies that control the wealth aspirations / super funds / Private banks etc. Again you need to see which ones are actually performing and attracting funds and making money and not someone with a good idea that might make money at some stage in the future. That's speculating and I personally don't invest in something like that.

See Change

see_change said:
Thommo

I might try and cut and paste some when I have time.

The most interesting is the link to an early thread by Stevo ( which I missed at the time ) .

http://lightning.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~reefcap/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000287

This graphs PE ratios over time. Interestingly at the moment , the Average PE ratio is as low at the moment as it has been in the last 14 years , so on this value alone, any talk of the ASX being over valued is wildly off the mark. The current PE ratio is around the mid teens compared to levels close to 30 during previous stronger periods ( or in the early 90's, 50 .....).

I'm starting to remember the talk from some people early on in the property boom , who said it can't keep on going like this.

Personally I'm looking at putting more money in the market at the moment, BUT this is purely my own opinion.

See Change

Hey Sea Change,

That chart of the all ords PE ratio is all wrong as far as I can see. The PE in March 2003 was just 13. You only have to look at the incredible yields available in 2003. 6/7% fully franked was everywhere. That would only be possible if PE's were low.

As for the huge spike in 92, that just didn't happen. The PE of the all ords was about 13/14 from my info. Also, while I wasn't much into shares or investing at the time, I did have a few stocks, and the market was definately not at such expensive levels from my memory. A PE of 40 would mean a dividend yield of 2.5 at a 100% payout ratio. It didn't happen. My info is just charts I've collected over the years from AFRs. It is hard to find historical info like PE ratios on the net, because I suspect that people with the info like to keep it to themselves.

From that chart in reefcap, it looks accurate up to and for a few years after the 87 bust, but I believe it gets way out of wack after that.

Pe's have risen since 2003, but only a little, as profits have almost kept up, as we all know.

I saw that chart in reefcap ages ago, and just ignored it. It has to be wrong. Just my opinion.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Another really interesting thread, with many fantastic contributors.

An explanation for the variance in the PE ratios may come from how they changed the way of calculating it for the market as a whole.
I cannot remember when they changed it, but it once included all the loss making companies in the overall figure. These days the loss making companies are excluded from the markets overall PE ratio.

The reasoning behind the high PE ratio for 1992 would have included the huge writedowns/losses from the banks and News Corp at that time.

In other words, we are not comparing apples with apples when looking at some of these longer term charts, and those who use them are often unaware of the subtle little changes that can and do occur.

bye

Hmm, that may be right Bill.

Westpac nearly went bust then didn't it? By including a huge negative PE in the results from a bank would have changed PE's heaps.

Negative PE's play havoc with average PE results. A negative PE of 1000, is really only a tiny fraction, a tiny loss, but it can wipe out 100 company PE's of 10 if not calculated properly. I have a portfolio manager, and it can't handle negative PE's properly. One company with a huge negative PE stuffs all the results. Negative PE's need to be deleted.

I believe that Comsec has charts of ASX average PE's. It would be good if someone could post for comparison.

I get pretty passionate about my PE's. I base my whole investing method on it, so the results need to be accurate. I won't hold a single stock when average PE's tell me not to. As in 87, and 2000.

See ya's.

Last edited:
From the RBA, PE ratios through history:

http://www.rba.gov.au/Statistics/Bulletin/F07hist.xls

From www.bwts.com.au:

Historical PE Ratio and Dividend Yield data for the Australian Stock Exchange. The file containing this data is called ASXPEDY. The file contains historical PE ratios and dividend yields going back many years and was collected from the tables section in Shares magazine. Since July 2001, the file is being sourced from the Australian Financial Review, because that series does not include loss-making companies, unlike the more recent Shares magazine series. The file is mostly on a monthly basis, but since July 2001 is weekly.

Attachments

• asxpedy.xls
    50 KB · Views: 81
MichaelWhyte said:
I am also now in the process of stretching the LVR on my margin loan to get a few hundred thousand more into play. My LVR was a very conservative 45% to date, but now I aim to push it to 60%. I could stretch it even further but want to leave a bit in reserve to avoid the possibility of a margin call.
Hi Michael,

Speaking personally, my margin LVR is currently less than 40%. For me 50% would be my limit. I realise that it would need a huge drop to cause a margin call. Also bear in mind that some margin loan agreements allow margin calls in some other circumstances eg a drop in ASX of 10% over 3 days. You did read your agreeemnt didn't you ?

Consider when is the best time to buy stock. The obvious answer is when they are cheap. They are cheap when the ASX has fallen. That's going to be the time when your LVR is close to it's limit. If the ASX dropped 20%, I'd have lots of spare LVR to buy cheaply, whereas someone starting with a higher LVR would be frustrated at not having the borrowing capacity to do so (not to mention a really low SANF).

You've got to balance -
  • the odds of a biggish ASX drop
  • the desire (& ability) to buy cheaply
  • SANF
  • if you're a B&H
Cheers Keith

Glebe said:
From the RBA, PE ratios through history:

http://www.rba.gov.au/Statistics/Bulletin/F07hist.xls

From www.bwts.com.au:

Historical PE Ratio and Dividend Yield data for the Australian Stock Exchange. The file containing this data is called ASXPEDY. The file contains historical PE ratios and dividend yields going back many years and was collected from the tables section in Shares magazine. Since July 2001, the file is being sourced from the Australian Financial Review, because that series does not include loss-making companies, unlike the more recent Shares magazine series. The file is mostly on a monthly basis, but since July 2001 is weekly.

Righto, this has got me annoyed!

I know how cheap the market was 3 years ago, as I geared into it right at the bottom, but this damn info is saying it was expensive. This info is wrong. So where has it come from?

I'm concerned that some on this forum may think that PE's now are even lower than they were 3 years ago. This is not correct. PE's are higher now.

I've done some research. This info is from the market bottom in March 13, 2003. The very bottom.

.....................Price........EPS..........PE.....

Newscorp,......$18.60......105c........17.7...
NAB bank........$28.36......250c.......11.3...
BHP...............$8.27........46.4c......17.8...
CBA bank........$23.00......183c.......12.5...
Telstra...........$3.92........36c.........10.9...
Westpac........$12.83.......124c.......10.3...
ANZ bank.......$15.70.......143c.......11...
RIO Tinto.......$29.00.......133c........21.8...
Woolworths....$10.60.......59.8c.......17.7...
Wesfarmers....$21.70.......134.1c.....16.2...

Newscorp had a ridiculous PE of 80 just 3 years earlier. Telstras was silly too. The height of the tech madness.

The average PE 3 years ago was lower. Banks were much cheaper back then, however, BHP and RIO are cheaper today. Interestingly, The last earnings forecasts I saw for BHP and RIO was around the $2 and $6 levels, but resource prices have risen heaps since then so they should be even higher.

OK, this is the top 10 stocks by market capitalization at March 13 2003. I looked at the next 30 stocks and to save boring everyone, the most expensive was Westfield at a PE of 22, and the cheapest was CSR and Quantas at a PE of just 9. The top 40 stocks would be most of the market capitalisation. The average PE, as I thought, is not in the 20's.

This info has all been found on the web. It just takes a bit of time to look up. I've just done it to prove to myself that I wasn't dreaming. Stocks were at 'once in a lifetime' prices 3 years ago. These are the actual PE's. I've worked them out using my calculator.

Using forecast PE's, these stocks would have appeared even cheaper!

So why is this other info saying that PE's were in the 20's in March 2003, and at 50 in 1992? The info is wrong. The only things I can come up with is what Bill suggests, or perhaps the PE's are not weighted. That is, some small cap stock with a huge PE or negative PE is weighted the same as CBA or BHP.

Any ideas?

I've just done this to show that stocks are definately not as cheap as 3 years ago. Look up the current PE's and compare with 3 years ago.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Lies , Damn lies and Statistics

This brings to mind the saying attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized by Mark Twain:

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.:rolleyes:

See Change

Not knowing a lot about shares... but comparing to property.

Is buying shares on PE comparable to buying a house on yield?

For me, yield is just one indicator- of course, as with houses, there's a whole host of things which are important. It depends on your desired outcomes.

Before the tech wreck, people ignored PEs to their peril.

But it seems to me that it remains as just one of a number of indicators.

Back