Young investors - tell all

warrioress said:
I do identify with other forumites with convincing their partners to think the same way. My boyfriend is not a reader, so getting him to read Jan's books is like pulling teeth - so in many of my 'lectures' he has asked me to give him a presentation of the facts...Im in the process of preparing a PowerPoint presentation, and whilst it may seem a little silly, i guess i have to look at it like a business proposal. I wouldn't pitch something to my clients in my normal 9-5 job without research and with all the bells and whistles!
Dear Warriorress,

1. I think that perhaps your boyfriend's learning style/mode is such that he learns better through listening to a presentation and having the experts explain the topics to him in real person. I know that many people learn through reading books on their own.

2. If that being the case, may I humbly suggest to you to consider signing him up for one of the Jan Somer's seminars and have him ask his questions to the experts directly, instead of trying to do the presentation yourself.

3. For your kind update, please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Kennethkohsg said:
Dear Warriorress,

1. I think that perhaps your boyfriend's learning style/mode is such that he learns better through listening to a presentation and having the experts explain the topics to him in real person. I know that many people learn through reading books on their own.

2. If that being the case, may I humbly suggest to you to consider signing him up for one of the Jan Somer's seminars and have him ask his questions to the experts directly, instead of trying to do the presentation yourself.

3. For your kind update, please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Thanks for the advice Kenneth..I actually referred him on to this forum! We're both fairly young (22 & 23), and I think the hardest part for him to comprehend is that it's so easy...He has read other forumites experiences, and has been inspired...

I would definately love to attend one of Jan's seminars with him! Or anyone else worthwhile...

Im at the stage where Im trying to learn as much as I can...whilst I have one IP which I bought with him, we have done many things wrong - like for example trying to pay as much as we can off the mortgage! And not knowing what negative gearing was before a few months ago! (please don't yell :)!)

We fell in to our first investment by accident! I only found out about Jan Somers when I bought a book to read about Australian millionaires who made 'it' through real estate...sheer luck really...

It would be actually interesting to hear from other forumites how and why they decided to invest in property! Mine was pure luck - but the next few won't be! :)

warrioress said:
It would be actually interesting to hear from other forumites how and why they decided to invest in property! Mine was pure luck - but the next few won't be! :)

In my case, I was 22, second year after uni, and was basically looking for ways to make money. I'd started investing in shares, and attended this seminar on property investing. It made a lot of sense, and I don't know why but I decided to try it. I don't remember doing all the long term projections, and I think a big part of it was faith (of course, I checked the price of the properties I was shown independently and so on, but I wasn't sure about the validity of the whole strategy back then).

I like to think that a half was my own initiative (I remember that first seminar: a cold winter night in 1999 at the Eastwood RSL, I was tired from finishing an audit), and half was luck (2000: Brisbane was yielding 6%+ and my properties would increase 8.5% pa in the next 6 years).

My own suggestion, warrioress, don't stop investing just because your boyfriend doesn't 'get it'. He will or he won't. No sense sacrificing your own future wealth just because someone else doesn't understand it. I don't care what friends, family or anyone else thinks of my investing. My girlfriend is quite happy to just leave me to it.
Alex

Wow - what a great thread. I'll put my mark in here, as I consider myself a "young investor". *grin*

Firstly, I'm 26 and my wife is 27. I'm the investor - she's the one who brings me back to reality a lot of the time. :) My challenge at the moment is to try and convince my wife to delay kids for a few more years - she's starting to warm to the idea that kids are a good thing (hey, they are, probably), but I'm trying to toe the line of "Let's get ourselves set up first, then go and have kids". The challenge is also working out when that moment will be!

Anyhoo... our situation:

We only have 2 properties at the moment, which is 2 properties more than a lot of people, and a very small portfolio considering some of the giants on this forum, yet 1 property more than my parents (who are in their late 50's and only own their home). Yay!

We started by buying a Brisbane CBD unit off the plan for $336k in 2003. Just wanted to get into the property market with both feet. Signed paperwork March 2003. Got married April 2004. Rented for 8 months. Settled December 2004. Didn't do much due diligence. Probably paid a little too much, considering it was the peak of the boom. Learnt a lot about valuations back then, as the bank valued our property with $0 increase in equity in 19 months. Wanted to kill the real estate agent who sold us our unit... grr. Managed to get a fridge and storage thrown in for free by the developer, so it wasn't all bad.

May 2005 - Bought 850sqm of land at Brookwater, for $225k with a 3 month settlement. Looked at architects; decided that $400k *Just for the house* was too much, so went with a builder/developer. Sourced a builder, did many iterations of the plan that finally went to council in October. I reckon with more experience, we could have done all this within the 3 month settlement period, but since this house is going to be our PPOR, a lot more emotion went into it. Also made lots of small, piddly decisions like lights, carpet, colours, tiles, features, curtains, etc, etc.

I was looking at building from an "adding equity" point of view. My wife was looking at the large backyard for our dog. :D Things we did include:

* Submitted plans to the valuer with 'study' renamed to 'bedroom 5'. 5 bedroom house, not a 4+study. ;)

* Got a watertank installed in the huge space under the deck, connected to an outside tap and the two toilets.

The house should be completed in the next 4 weeks or so, and after the landscaping is mostly done (at least the front streetscape), the plan is to get both properties revalued and use a LOC against our home to get our third property, which will probably be a renovation jobby, then renovate and sell or revalue. Wash, rinsh, repeat.

We'll move out of our unit when the house is ready, rent out our storage separately (guess of $120/month), rent out our unit to the building manager for $400/week (1 year lease with rent reviews at the end of each lease), which makes it cashflow positive by about 63 cents/week, not factoring in depreciation. :eek: Whohoo!

My modest guess is by then (July/August 2006), the house should be valued about $650k and our unit about $380k.

That's more than $1mill in property with LVR of about 73%.

Most of my wife's school friends (all about the same age) are renting in Sydney (where we used to live before getting married), and struggling to get a deposit together to buy their first property, yet look aghast when I talk to them about looking for our "third property"... hehe.

The lesson learnt - get off your butt and go do something, anything. If you make a mistake, that's ok. Learn from it.

-- MJ.

Everyone, this thread is awesome. It is a fantastic read.

Perhaps it could be made a sticky thread, for all who are interested, to find easily and read. :)

Merovingian said:
Everyone, this thread is awesome. It is a fantastic read.

Perhaps it could be made a sticky thread, for all who are interested, to find easily and read. :)

Good idea :)

Motivation threads lead many people to take more action.

hi..the occassional pop in of little sk8er

well i have 0 properties and 0 shares...there is a problem with this picture...ahuh i'm 14 so i can't possibly own any (stupid laws!!). Although i have a part time job and save half or over half my wages every week. I have two parents whom both invest and are very dedicated to their "work" you could say. So slowly i'm learning the bad and the good since i live with them it's if they suffer a loss so do i, so i must learn in return. I'm planning to start my portfolio as soon as i'm 18 and have a deposit and go from there.

So i'm planning on getting my help from my parents and probably alot of you guys and of course our friend Rolf L. hehe :p I think in a couple of years once i get organised and on my feet i'll have a steady portfolio and i'm planning on retiring before the age of 40-50 depending on how organised i am and by the age of 30 having a portfolio of at least 15 IPs. Crossing my fingures HOPEFULLY!!!

cheers and i'd appreciate peoples thoughts :D

Hi Little Sk8ater,

That´s pretty impressive to see a 14 year old planning their first investment property , setting a goal to own 15 properties by the age of 30 and retiring by 40-50!!!!

You are so fortunate to have your parents as role models, I started investing in my late 20´s and can only imagine what I could have achieved if I had started earlier.

I have no doubt you will achieve all those things and more. Look foward to reading about your investing journey on this forum!

Hi Little Sk8er

I thought I was doing well :eek: I am 21 and own my first house, and I've always thought I was way ahead and had the time to create a considerable portfolio. The advantage you have (aside from your age) is that you have two fantastic role models, and have already learnt some extremely valuable lessons which really sets the foundation for investing and most people don't learn until mid 20's +. I have no doubt you will do very well, and I'm certain that you will hear many MANY times from older and wiser investors...."If only I had started at your age..." I definitely did, and I only started being interested and learning at 17. :)

Congratulations Little Sk8er, and good luck. (Not that you need it by the sounds of it!)

1st Home Owner

Do you own your home outright 1st home owner? if so thats pretty good!~

I am 19 and about to buy a townhouse off the plan for $195k, returning $230per week with a 3 year rent guarantee (review of rent at end of each12month period) in the cessnock area.

Im doing a 97% loan.unfortunately forgoing the 1st home owner grant and stamp duty exempt.

im expecting low to medium capital growth for the area - the hunter economic zone (see http://www.hez.com.au/ ) is looking to bring major growth for the next 5-10 years, so as this will be the first of many ip's, im not so concerned on the CP. I am looking to just get as much equity as i can to move onto the nxt one.

any comments suggestions welcome - cheers - DW.

Hi Dwlakeshores

I wish! :rolleyes: I should have specified in my post that we have 'purchased' our first house....instead of we 'own' our own home.

We have just under an 80% LVR, hoping to pay it off (offset account) in the next 3-4 yrs. Well we hope to have invested the same amount as our loan in the next 3-4 years anyway.

1st Home Owner

Hey guys,

This thread has been a really interesting read!

My story: Currently 23 (turning 24 tomorrow!) and getting married in 2 months time :) Started learning about property investing at 21 when my brother and his wife gave me Jan Somers book "More Wealth through residential property". As i enjoyed this, i read several more property books, still many more that i want to read though. I also began a habit of reading as much as i could about investing in general however more focussed on property investment.

I had started working at 21 after leaving uni so i started saving money for my future property purchase. I was ready to make a purchase at 22 however i stopped for a few reasons. It was 2004 and the Sydney market was falling, and i didnt want to invest interstate as i would have lost my ability to get the NSW stamp duty exemption on my subsequent purchase. So i decided instead to invest in a managed fund to allow my savings to continue working while i saved more and waited for the market to improve. And of course continued to learn.

Now in 2006 i have been researching and inspecting potential properties and believe that after my wedding in 2 months time i will shortly make my first purchase. Will be purchasing something here in Sydney, to get FHOG and stamp duty exemption. Most likely a free standing house that i can perform some renovations on with my soon to be wife and then after about 6 months rent out. At this point will have the house revalued and see if we can obtain another one (maybe interstate this time) or otherwise wait until savings or equity increase.

Will have to sit down very soon and write down some medium and long term life goals with my fiance, at present they have all been discussion, but as there is quite a bit going on right now with the upcoming wedding and my new business venture this can wait a couple of months.

Thanks for reading :D

1st Home Owner said:
Hi Dwlakeshores

I wish! :rolleyes: I should have specified in my post that we have 'purchased' our first house....instead of we 'own' our own home.

We have just under an 80% LVR, hoping to pay it off (offset account) in the next 3-4 yrs. Well we hope to have invested the same amount as our loan in the next 3-4 years anyway.

1st Home Owner

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'owning' vs 'purchased'. Leverage is almost a given in property investment. I always make the general (depends on individual circumstances, of course) that it's better to have $2m in property with $1m debt (especially if they're all IPs) than just having a $1m PPOR without debt. The concept that owning a house free and clear is 'better' than having a mortgage on it is just emotional. It'll make you worse off financially in future years.
Alex

Hi Alex

Thanks for that, I agree. I would much rather have $1m net worth AND a further $1m in assets that I don't technically own, but that are working for me. Not a hard choice any day. ;)

I'd probably started to get a little tiny bit less comfortable if the LVR was over 80% though. I'd probably still do it up to 90%, as long as the figures worked.

I'm just going to take the opportunity to also add my voice to the "What a fantastic thread" camp! :D

1st Home Owner

1st Home Owner said:
Hi Alex

Thanks for that, I agree. I would much rather have $1m net worth AND a further $1m in assets that I don't technically own, but that are working for me. Not a hard choice any day. ;)

I'd probably started to get a little tiny bit less comfortable if the LVR was over 80% though. I'd probably still do it up to 90%, as long as the figures worked.
1st Home Owner

At your age, 1st Home Owner, your income will most likely increase as time goes by. My first place was purchased with a 90% LVR loan, but 6 years later and refinancing it's at around 70% LVR.

It's important to separate control and claim to future profit (which you have as the owner) and a financial claim (which the bank has, to the limit of the loan amount). Of course you have to keep an eye on the LVR to make sure you can still make repayments even if everything hits the fan, but in general, 'ownerhip' is just a legal and emotional issue. I live 10,000km from my IPs and barely remember what they look like. I get no emotional sense of 'ownership'. But I receive rent and get to refinance the properties for cold, hard cash. I'll take that over the thought that 'I own this property and no-one has a claim on it' anyday.
Alex

G'day Alexlee,

They weren't wrong were they?
Alexlee said:
(2000: Brisbane was yielding 6%+ and my properties would increase 8.5% pa in the next 6 years).
I love it - how about you? Although I work in Sydney, I've only bought in SEQ (where I've lived for over 15 years, and think I sort of understand it).

When I kicked off, Bne property was returning 8 - 9% (that was 1999) and the best was yet to come. Today, of course, returns have sunk (as values have screamed upward) to 4 - 5% Par for the course, I guess.

Anyway, I also wanted to say that this thread is a WINNER !! I've enjoyed reading of the various success stories herein. Thank you all - it is heartening to read of the successes of those of younger years. It took me FAR too many years to come to grips with the awesome value of property investing - thank heavens that Jan and others were around for me. My future is looking far more brighter than it might have been otherwise.

Good luck to all of you,

Regards,

Back