Millionaire thru shares

Nice work bort,

In a few years time you may well be the first 'Millionaire through Shares' that we hear of in this Coffee Lounge (if you aren't invested in property too by then). Know it seems you're the first 'Half-millionaire or so through Shares'...

GSJ

Hmmm thought i might put in my 2c - I have been investing primarily in shares for about 7 years or so (apart from my ppor which i am also currently selling) - but I just dont have too many of those quick gain stories.

I am a buy and hold investor - these days a substantial portion of my portfolio is in good old AFI and ARG, which I buy when it is trading at a decent discount to its' net assets (as well as taking up their $5,000 share purchase plans each year if appropriately priced). I think that has netted me about a 25% annual return over the 7 years - although I guess a lot of that could be from the booming share market than anything else, and the ability to further leverage and buy more via margin loan as prices have gone up.

Can't say i'm at the $1m yet .. maybe only halfway in terms of $ ... much closer in terms of timeframe to go with any luck. I started really small in terms of $ invested so the first few years were really slow going, however that snowball is getting bigger faster now! Will i get there primarily through stocks? - absolutely no doubt :D (although will i diversify into property as well? - umm given i'm on these forums lurkin around not much doubt there either)

Oh i guess there would be a few reasonable performers in there as well come to think of it .. pickin up csl for $12 when it was out of favour, and mbl a few years back too which has been handy :) .. but overall slow and steady is how my portfolio looks .. with virtually none of the wild swings people talk about - i think the most mine ever moves is maybe 2% in a day!

25% compounded annually is impressive, Mr Buffet

Yep, good call Marty. But you know what I mean. A $3,500 'investment' (if you can call a spec share an investment) goes to $38,100 and back again to $6,600 still hurts.

Hmmm, typing this has made me realise something. My best shares have all been good companies that have temporarily fallen from grace and rebounded. :D Uncle Warren would be proud of me. :p
Yeah, know what you mean SOS, and can understand your frustration.

I'm still smarting over ERG, which I purchased a while ago (few years) and sold recently for a pittance of what I paid.

These days I stick to mgd funds and LIC's like AFI

Regards
Marty

You'll need to join to see these .

Tech / A ( John from adelaide ) set up a system which has been trading live since 2002. Initial investment 30 K , margined to 100 K . Up to 370K as of last week. There are many people who are using variations of this system , including some mebers over here ( I think )

http://lightning.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~reefcap/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000029;p=3

Another reefcap member , Stevo , is using another long term system , and last time I talked to him , he was averaging about 40 % a year.

I've fiddled with similar systems with good results and once I've finished our current development ( which has sucked out my trading capital :( ) I'll be getting stuck back into it.

See Change

Last edited:
thanks for the reefcap link, see change.

I used to post there but then one day it closed down and I thought it was gone for good.

Carol

Hi Vla,

You don't have to pay $55 per month for the system, that fee is if you wish to subscribe to Nicks service.

If you have share software the Tech Trader system is available free to anyone who wants it, kind of makes the people who pay spruikers thousands a bit p****d off when they discover what they have paid for doesn't work and a free system does :D

Stevo uses a variation which I don't think he has disclosed but TT is proven on a public forum, over 3 years.

The stock market has been kind of late but it is all in the timing isn't it, there are plenty of times that real estate is in the doldrums as well, so each has a turn just got to pick the right one :)

Hi Vla,

You don't have to pay $55 per month for the system, that fee is if you wish to subscribe to Nicks service.

If you have share software the Tech Trader system is available free to anyone who wants it, kind of makes the people who pay spruikers thousands a bit p****d off when they discover what they have paid for doesn't work and a free system does :D

Stevo uses a variation which I don't think he has disclosed but TT is proven on a public forum, over 3 years.

The stock market has been kind of late but it is all in the timing isn't it, there are plenty of times that real estate is in the doldrums as well, so each has a turn just got to pick the right one :)

Stevo has never documented his system in the way that Tech has, but if you read his posts his ideas are all there . He's never given the specifics of his system simply because some of the shares he trades are lower volume than those triggered by Tech trader so he doesn't want people getting the same buy and sell signals as he does though a few times I seem to be in the same trades ...:D

Basically it's a weekly system , relying on a short term trend breakout , in shares that have a long term momentum indicator reaching a new high . The trailing stop is an ATR based trailing stop that ratchets up . There is code for it somewhere on the amibroker site ( It's the trailing stop that Van K tharp suggest , I think) . Within those paramaters the combinations are endless ....:) .

Within those combinations it is easy to come up with systems that back test over 50 % though in my experience you're better to aim for lower than that as the higher returning system tend to try and pick up the High % gainers and they also tend to be the more volotile :(. I also tend to think you can do better when the market isn't going through the roof. These types of systems will pick up on the good performers , whereas in a volotile market , everything seems to be at the whim of the overall market and you can get shaken out of a good trade by the volotility , whereas a steady market seems to be more forgiving.

See Change

Stevo has never documented his system in the way that Tech has, but if you read his posts his ideas are all there . He's never given the specifics of his system simply because some of the shares he trades are lower volume than those triggered by Tech trader so he doesn't want people getting the same buy and sell signals as he does though a few times I seem to be in the same trades ...:D

Basically it's a weekly system , relying on a short term trend breakout , in shares that have a long term momentum indicator reaching a new high . The trailing stop is an ATR based trailing stop that ratchets up . There is code for it somewhere on the amibroker site ( It's the trailing stop that Van K tharp suggest , I think) . Within those paramaters the combinations are endless ....:) .

Within those combinations it is easy to come up with systems that back test over 50 % though in my experience you're better to aim for lower than that as the higher returning system tend to try and pick up the High % gainers and they also tend to be the more volotile :(. I also tend to think you can do better when the market isn't going through the roof. These types of systems will pick up on the good performers , whereas in a volotile market , everything seems to be at the whim of the overall market and you can get shaken out of a good trade by the volotility , whereas a steady market seems to be more forgiving.

See Change

See change

How does it do in a down market? or does it work only in boom times? It sounds like a system based on only new highs.

As you can see by some of the statements made, it wouldnt take long with the power of compounding to hit the 1 million mark.

Think it was summed up pretty well before. Just about anyone can do very well out of property (all you have to do is buy it), where as with shares, only the people who know what they are doing make the good money, and the odd lucky person.

Again its the power of compounding. 50% of 0 is zero, but when you get some capital behind you, 50% of 100k - 500k your raking it in.

50% is an example here quoted by others. Most people do much worse than this. A select few can do much better.

Cheers
mono

Bumb!

Does anyone have an inspiring story about how they became a millionaire thru shares?

We are still only qtr the way through a resources super cycle. Many early adopters have already made their mills. Starting from the low base I did, I won't make my mill till next yr. In spite of being a wory-wort, I am confident this will happen.

The funny thing is I HAVE SHOUTED FROM THE ROOFTOPS how it can be done. SOS bought into my favourite miner at a difficult time (they don't always go up every week) but I believe he held his nerve and would now be 20% up. A little patience and that will be 100%.

I am not a financial advisor but not one miner I have referred to, directly or indirectly, has failed to deliver the goods.

Actually I think Buffett is an investor in the purest sense. He doesn't really OPERATE most of his businesses (except the insurance business), and he certainly doesn't trade shares. He is famous for letting the previous owners of 'his' businesses operate independently.

I believe that you can contribute, say, 25% of your income into your super fund for 40 years and become a millionaire purely through shares. Boring, but over time it's likely to work.

I also think you can do it faster by leveraging and using property in addition to shares.
Alex

I agree with you. He started off with little money investing his shares. It's the starting off that is more intresting to me than how he makes his money now. His 1st million wa smade purley through investing in shares.

You are also correct about the super. The system in Singapore works well eventhough the cost of labour is high. I think super contribution is like 17%? and then the employer has to match it. Can you confirm this?

That's why majority of Singaporeans retire a millionaire and most with their property paid off will retire multi millionaire.

Here's one:

Subject sold out today made 4 million dollars
Stock Code PDN - PALADIN RESOURCES LIMITED
Posted 29/12/06 00:33
Posted by esmeralda
IP 203.26.xxx.xxx
Hotcopper Radio PDN on BoardRoom Radio
Post #1458663 - 381 reads
Start of thread

been holding since 10 cents, just woke up yesterday.

All the good news is out, PDN is way overpriced unless U308 is double the current price.

Gunna put all the profits into *** if it relists

..................................................................................

Now I don't know if esmeralda is totally truthful, but $45,000 invested in Apr '04 would give this result.

I would love to post a chart off my hard drive, if someone can tell me how. I'll try to post it into the gallery if that helps.

Try this link:

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/...ompareCode=&TimeFrame=M3&chart.x=55&chart.y=2

nb. The vert axis is log. It looks awesome on a linier scale. LOL.

Last edited:
This from another interesting thread I've been following (link posted on this site for that thread) its interesting to play with some of the figures..though I like to err on the side of caution and would only look at a 50-60% Margin

The other thing to note is compounding and time, and not to undersetimate it. Assume you borrow $100 at 8% and invest it in something paying 7% dividend. But assume the company paying the dividend is growing it's profits by 10%pa.

In the first year, you would get $7 div, and pay 8% interest, you would be down $1 in cash terms, but would have growth in your share price of $10. for a net $9 return.

In the second year, assuming you paid your interest last year, your dividend would be 7%x110%= $7.70, Interest still -$8 share growth 10% x $110 = $11..Net cash out $0.30, net return $10.70 .

In the 3rd year you are cash positive $0.47, net return $11.47

In the 5th year cash in $2.24, total return $15.55
10th year cash in $8.50, total return $29.94
15th year cash in $18.58, total return $53.10
20th year cash in $34.81, total return $90.40.

All this for zero outlay.

Now assume instead of $100 you borrowed $100K.

After 5 years it's generating $15,550 a year for you..

I realise this assumes 100% lending, but add this to the $50K of your own money you invested and bang, you're doing very well. If your lucky or smart enough to buy shares cheaply the return is even higher. This kind of growth is available. I realise this excludes inflation, but you will find these numbers kick other investements in the butt. You will do even better to buy more as you go along as your returns allow you. Of course you know the risks involved, have to understand and manage them.

This person appears to have put $20k down on some blue chip shares in 1996 and is now a Millionaire (net) through regular re-investing of dividends and gearing and still at a young age

I agree with you. He started off with little money investing his shares. It's the starting off that is more intresting to me than how he makes his money now. His 1st million wa smade purley through investing in shares.

You are also correct about the super. The system in Singapore works well eventhough the cost of labour is high. I think super contribution is like 17%? and then the employer has to match it. Can you confirm this?

That's why majority of Singaporeans retire a millionaire and most with their property paid off will retire multi millionaire.

Education Department Super (and Universities is around 17%) from memory..I've also read of a few Singaporean nurses retiring Millionaires and many's the cabby i met whilst in Hong Kong that invested in the Aussie stock Market

Here's a daily chart of Paladin since May 2003, again using log scale.

pdnpe1.gif

Note that the price at the left of the chart is around one cent.

$0.01 to $8.90 in around 3.5 years...

Cheers,
GP

Hi all,

Is "esmeralda" truthful?? This is the real question.

Let's pull the trade apart for a minute.

April 04, bought $45,000 worth of a penny dreadful stock. Why?
Any successful investment strategy that I know of has a stoploss point. How can you set a stoploss on a share that could go to 0 cents at any time??

The answer is simple, you can't. You have to be prepared to lose the entire investment.

To work around this problem, any trader/investor that has a form of risk control, would only risk a small proportion of their trading/investment stake on any one of these trades, say 5% at max?

If this was the case then esmeralda had close to $1,000,000 for trading before she implemented the trade.

The other options are
1/ She had no regard for risk and effectively bet her entire bankrole on a pennydreadful. Is this the preferred method to stockmarket riches??

2/ It was just a paper trade and not real.

If option 1/ was true, then she is very likely to lose the lot when *** relists.

bye

1/ She had no regard for risk and effectively bet her entire bankrole on a pennydreadful. Is this the preferred method to stockmarket riches??
Sounds like gambling to me, unless you can confidently repeat it with a system. ?Better odds at the pokies.

GSJ

I'm not sure if I beleive her post, most of the stuff on HotCopper is dribble, people trying to ramp up a stock or downramp a stock.

A few shares that I'm interested in and know a lot about the companies is completely contridicted on HC by people pushing their own barrow !

Others also post 'info' on HC to help the share price when required.

All in all HC is a good place to read during the day in between trading but not a place to pick up stock tips in my opionion.

I won't make my mill till next yr. In spite of being a wory-wort, I am confident this will happen.
http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/...mpareCode=&TimeFrame=M10&chart.x=68&chart.y=9
But have a look at the ten year spread of PDN the person that
bought in at that low price Must have a high level of skill and experience
and the way the boom conditions have been from 2002 up to now and
next year good luck to them it's not something that i would have sunk
money into at that time,Brisbane property was going up at 10k a month back then.willair........

Back