Just rang TICA

..... and was charged $16.05 according to the message for the privelage of being told to call back later because all the operators are currently busy. Then it disconnected me.

:eek: LOL !!!!

So yeah. I'll post back later to see how much contacting TICA as a tenant will cost me in the end as I do want to know whether or not I'm on it even tho' I shouldn't be as far as I'm concerned.

I'll post back later to see how much contacting TICA as a tenant will cost me in the end as I do want to know whether or not I'm on it even tho' I shouldn't be as far as I'm concerned.
Hi GCG.

If you were on TICA, would you not have been advised by the PM that placed you there?

Regards
Marty

GCG, why don't you go into a Real estate agency and ask them nicely to check for you. They should have access to TICA and will undoubtedly help you out. And that shouldn't cost you anything.

IF you can't find a local one, PM Jarrod Lane (LiverpoolHarryK) and I'm sure he'll help, he's very helpful.

asy :D

Can anyone help ????

Tried again... it's now 2.30pm (ish). Same recorded message. $16.50 down the tube.

:mad: :mad:

I don't have money like this to waste!!!

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ??????

edit to add: Ooops :( I didn't see the reply! I'm renting privately however had a recent event happen that I want to make sure hasn't impacted me being able to rent. I will contact the member here. If not, I will try tomorrow morning as I know most REAs are open Saturday til mid-day and ask a local one to see if they can ring it or what-ever to help me out.

Hi GCG.

If you were on TICA, would you not have been advised by the PM that placed you there?

Regards
Marty

I havn't been advised by the PM that would have placed me there nor do I trust them enough to do so. Why? When I stopped paying rent on the place I broke lease upon (I accidentially signed the lease to the place when I wasn't meant to be moving anywhere - long complicated story) because I could no longer afford to pay rent on a place I wasn't living within as well as the place I never moved out of and thus WAS living within... thus $475 per week (way way over my capacity to affordibly pay)... I had to stop.

I had up to that point paid three weeks rent (the PM/REA was meant to be finding someone to take on the lease in this time BTW) .... they contacted me over a month later to inform me that I owed them four more weeks on top of those three weeks rent as it took them in total 7 weeks to find someone to take on my lease.

*sigh*

So I'm hoping that they havn't marked me on TICA for the non payment of rent even tho' I never lived in that place and my impeccible/faultless record where I was living and continued to live would be viod in a way due to it.

Thus the reason why I want to make damn sure I'm not on there. I've been a damn good tenant in the actual place I have continued to live within all this time and my landlord, who I rent privately with, has assured me that he will give me a glowing reference as I have been nothing but a great tenant in his mind/belief.

I don't want the "mistake" I made to f me up on possible other places.

I'm only moving now because I want to move. There is a memory here I don't want to stay living with as such. I want a fresh start.

You are not listed!
Relax!!!!! ;)

Have sent you email with details.

How many smilies can I add to this post?

:D :D :D :D

YAY!

(okay.. only 4 smilies)

It is just a relief to know that my "Monaco Street mistake" hasn't impacted my "record" as such when it shouldn't as I have and always continue to be a good tenant where I actually live. Thank you so so much!

Just that I have found a rental that I would really like to move into and didn't want anything to hamper me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !

No problem G,
Happy to help.

It actually costs the agent money to black list a tenant, so most just don't bother. Typical!!!

GoldCoastGirl i'm sure that the agency that you are renting from needs to notify you first in writing before they list you on tica. I don't know the legal side of things but i'm under the impression that they can not list you unless they have an order from the small claims court to do so???

From a landlord point of view though i would be hammering my pm to collect the unpaid rental money, only because the bank won't care what excuse i give if the mortgage repayments are not paid each month.... being the lessor isn't always easy.

As a landlord, I would hope that the PM would be keeping me well informed as to what is happening. I would hope that the landlady (in the case of the Monaco St mistake) would have been kept informed by the PMs that I never actually moved into the unit. That it was vacant.

I don't know what the landlady of the Monaco St unit was doing or if she put any pressure on them especially after the fact that I stopped paying (and the PM never contacted me which I found rather interesting - why wouldn't you follow up on rent that is over-due???) ... I hope she did tho' as that was four extra weeks after I stopped paying it took this particular PM to find someone to take on the lease. Woha.

I've learnt ALOT from that life event. I have learnt that when I get "into the game" as a PI and if I ever have to take on the services of a PM (or three) then I will be wanting weekly or at least fortnightly updates on what is happening with the property.

I actually didn't know it cost them (the PMs) money to list someone! :shock: Well, now I can see why they havn't listed me and the whole situation is only at the stage where I'm awaiting the 'bill' from them. I will pay it as I despise being in BAD debt (good debt is different).

Plus I want it cleared and done before I move into any other rental.

Just thought my experiences would help serve others (as well as remind myself of my lessons).

:)

It is a very unfortunate sitution for all involved.

1. The fact that you were issued a notice to vacate incorrectly by your original PM (current) was not great. Although you still could have moved to the new place, a lease is a lease whether you move in or not.

2. I would be wanting to make sure that it really took the PM 7 weeks to find a tenant in the current rental market in QLD.

3.To be honest when you do have IP's I think you would drive PM crazy if you wanted a weekly or fortnightly update. Unless something is wrong or rent is not being paid then there is no real updates they can give. I have clients who ring weekly or fortnightly to get an update, dispite being told the week before we have to wait till a Dr. appointmnet or to a date, the sad thing is I have to charge them, we do encourage them that if we need info we will call them.

gcg - you also have to look at it from the landlords point of view. i will use only the info gathered on this thread, as don't know the full story, and i don't want to be critical - but -

you have signed a legally binding contract to rent a premises and pay for the such at a set rate per week, regardless of whether you move into it or not.

you've paid the rent on the premises so, as far as the landlord is concerned you are fullfilling your side of the "legal" contract - then suddenly you stop paying because you decided you couldn't afford it and were instead staying on at your existing premises (i may be wrong in my assumption of the situation).

imo, this is extremely unfair to the landlord and they have every right to "list" you.

did you let the pm know in advance that you would no longer be paying, and give them fair time to find a replacement tenant? you do realise that the landlord may have been relying on the contracted rent money to pay their mortgage? do you realise that the landlord would have paid several hundred dollars letting/advertising fees to the pm, that they'll have to pay for again now that you've bailed from your contract?

i would be interested to hear the whole story, from both a tenant and landlords point of view - as we may all learn from the experience.

i apologise if i seem harsh - but i felt someone needed to say something on behalf of the landlord.

i know if my (most expensive) tenant decided to suddenly stop paying his $480/wk rent i'd be really really peeved, and up the creek fairly quickly, as that's over $1000 suddenly taken out of my monthly cashflow.

did you let the pm know in advance that you would no longer be paying, and give them fair time to find a replacement tenant?

Yes. I told them as soon as knew I had signed on to that lease incorrectly (under mis-leading information as such) that I would be breaking lease. I told them the whole story. I also told them that to be fair to them I would give it a go and try to find someone for the unit for the first two weeks before I officially broke the lease (signed the paperwork).

Then I continued to pay for a further three weeks!

THREE WEEKS!!!

In this climate, that should be MORE than enough time to find someone yet it took them that three weeks plus an additional FOUR WEEKS to find someone.

The place was vacant. I never moved in. I was never supposed to move or sign any other lease in the first place.

The original lease I re-newed was good enough in the end *rolls eyes*

Like I said there is more to this than I have already typed in this thread.

you do realise that the landlord may have been relying on the contracted rent money to pay their mortgage?

As someone who wants to get into IPs ... hell yeah. That is why I was very very very suprised to hear back from the Southport REA in charge of the Monaco St unit over a month later after I had stopped paying any rent on the place.

Why didn't the REA contact me as soon as I stopped paying? I was seriously expecting a phone call. Since I didn't receive one for over four weeks after I stopped paying any rent I naturally assumed from my end that they had found a tenant for the unit.

Why didn't they call me as soon as I stopped paying? Why did it take the REA agent over four weeks after I stopped paying to contact me about the rent owed? These are my questions/concerns.

do you realise that the landlord would have paid several hundred dollars letting/advertising fees to the pm, that they'll have to pay for again now that you've bailed from your contract?

Actually, no. You are wrong. According the piece of paper I signed to officially break lease, I forfeited my bond money to cover those costs. The landlord didn't pay a cent from my understanding.

i would be interested to hear the whole story, from both a tenant and landlords point of view - as we may all learn from the experience.

i apologise if i seem harsh - but i felt someone needed to say something on behalf of the landlord.

You aren't harsh. Most people on this board are landlords thus that is the perspective that they have so I can totally understand.

i know if my (most expensive) tenant decided to suddenly stop paying his $480/wk rent i'd be really really peeved, and up the creek fairly quickly, as that's over $1000 suddenly taken out of my monthly cashflow.

You would make damn sure your PM got that money right? Then why didn't the PM of the Monaco St property only contact me over four weeks later to ask for the "owing" rent ? I would have kept paying and/or arranged some form of payment of the rent that wouldn't send me broke (as it nearly bankrupted me) if they had contacted me.

They didn't. They only contact me over four weeks later after I had stopped paying any rent. Therefore, as you would as a person, naturally assume because I didn't hear from them in any way, shape or form (checked my home mailbox, PO box, email, mobile etc) that the place was tenanted.

Here is the story in all its glory since it seems it needs to be told to help everyone understand.........

TIMELINE

Start of February - received rental lease for renewal of Unit 4, 21 Watson Esplanade from [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise

Handed in lease for re-newal Monday 12 Feb into the office of [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise

Phone call Tuesday 13 Feb from [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise informing me that I had been given Notice To Leave notice prior week. I am to be out of the unit by Wed 21 Feb.

Signed and paid bond $1460 on unit 6, 9 monaco street thru [Property Manager] Southport Sat 17 Feb. Have keys.

Phone call from [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise Monday 19 Feb informing me that I am okay to re-new the lease at unit 4, 21 watson Esplanade. Obviously the NOTICE TO LEAVE doesn't apply anymore ([Property Manager] Surfers Paradise confirmed this for me when I asked during the conversation).

A couple of hours later the Landlord of Unit 4, 21 Watson Esplanade phones me to ask me to stay and continue on as tenant.

Paid $132 to advertise monaco street property on domain.com.au so as I can break the lease and stay on at current unit Tuesday 20 Feb.

FACTS:

I was given a lease agreement to sign to re-new PRIOR to any NOTICE TO LEAVE was given to me.

I handed in the signed lease agreement to re-new the lease on Unit 4, 21 Watson Esplanade on Monday 12 Feb to [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise. At this stage I had no knowledge I was given NOTICE TO LEAVE.

Phone call from [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise informing me of the NOTICE TO LEAVE. Checked home mailbox - yes NOTICE TO LEAVE documents were within it. I hardly check the home mailbox as I tend to like to use my PO Box for security purposes.

STARTED MY SEARCH FOR A PROPERTY TO RENT

Secured a property with [Property Manager] Southport - Unit 6, 9 Monaco Street. Paid Bond and signed lease agreement on Saturday 17 Feb.

Phone call Monday 19 Feb from [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise informing me that I am okay to stay on as a tenant. I do not have to leave. I can re-new my lease.

Phone call from owner a couple of hours after [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise rang informing me he wants me to stay on as a tenant.

HAVE TO BREAK LEASE OF MONACO STREET RENTAL AS NOTICE TO LEAVE DOESN'T APPLY ANYMORE. MY "CURRENT" LEASE WITH [Property Manager] SURFERS PARADISE VALID.

Due to this whole situation, I now rent privately direct with the landlord. [Property Manager] Surfers Paradise is no longer the property manager for Unit 4, 21 Watson Esplanade.

My questions... what was the purpose of the Notice To Leave if my re-newal was okay in the first place?? Why stuff me around and have me find another property when, in the end, I was okay to stay on at my current property?? I wouldn't have signed for the Monaco Street property if I had knowledge that I was okay to stay on as a tenant at my current property. I have subsequently incurred some loss (costs) that I shouldn't have incurred as I wouldn't have signed and paid bond (or even started searching for a property to rent) if I had known I was okay to stay on at my current property.

In the end, I'm not going to persue any action with anybody. I just want this whole mess over and done with ... I just want to move on with my life.

Replaced the actual names of the actual Property Managers with [Property Manager]. If you really would like to know who were the PMs for each property, please PM me.

edit to add: the other reason i'm not going to persue any action with anyone is because alot of this is my own fault. As the landlord explained to me, if I had called him up as soon as I learnt of the "notice to leave" then he would have sorted the situation out asap. I would never have had to search for any other rentals and thus take on any other lease. So because I (assumed) the landlord knew about the "notice to leave" I didn't ring him ... until it was all too late. Thus I'm taking this 'on the chin'.

The reason I want to move now is because, whilst I have a good relationship with this landlord, I have one memory that I don't want to "live with" here anymore ( http://www.geocities.com/ms_vee/BIBS/ ).

Last edited:
No problem G,
Happy to help.

It actually costs the agent money to black list a tenant, so most just don't bother. Typical!!!

Hi all, just a note that this was done only once and once only for this forum member out of good will.

IT WILL NEVER BE DONE AGAIN unless you are one of our genuine tenants.

since then our office has been bombarded with requests from tenants to check if they are on TICA or not.

We only screen tenants if they have signed one of our application forms for tenancies and we are not in the business of warning tenants if they have been black listed.

You get black listed if you owe money to a landlord

We cannot and will not check your details on TICA so don't be offended if you ask and we say NO!

Thanks X

Back