The Beach House

Kitchen Quote.....OMG!!!!!!

Had a quote done for the kitchen for The Beach House and nearly fainted! :( Came in around $28K with the 2-pack paint & granite benches. (I have already purchased the major electrical applicances -- stove, fridge, sink, etc. So the quote is for cabinet stuff only, and doesn't include plumbing and electrical work.)
This is way over my budget. I can knock off $4K by substituting laminated bench tops for the granite, but really need some drastic cost cutting ideas. All help and ideas gratefully received!

G'day Sailor,
Came in around $28K with the 2-pack paint & granite benches. (I have already purchased the major electrical applicances -- stove, fridge, sink, etc. So the quote is for cabinet stuff only, and doesn't include plumbing and electrical work.)
I've just done the same - and cabinetry, fitting, etc. comes to $6800 - we've also provided stove, dishwasher, but not fridge, separately - so we are also talking "cabinetry". We are not going "granite benchtops". And, yes, plumbing and sparky costs are extras. But $28k? Sheesh - how BIG is this kitchen Sailor?

Ours is "average size" - so I'd hope you are getting a helluva lot more for those huge dollars !!!

Edited later:- You chose 2-pak, while we are using vinyl wrap - I believe 2-pak is "a bit more expensive" - but FOUR TIMES the cost is pretty steep... And I don't believe 2-pak is THAT expensive. If it were me, I'd be checking elsewhere.

Edited later again - quoted price is $6700 and this includes GST !! With another $730 to cover plumbing, and the purchase of a s/s sink and a half.
Regards,

Last edited:
G'day Sailor,

I've just done the same - and cabinetry, fitting, etc. comes to $6800 - we've also provided stove, dishwasher, but not fridge, separately - so we are also talking "cabinetry". We are not going "granite benchtops". And, yes, plumbing and sparky costs are extras. But $28k? Sheesh - how BIG is this kitchen Sailor?
Regards,

3 M x 3 M kitchen.

G'day Sailor,

That is hardly "huge" - and probably even smaller than the one we're doing up. I'll see if I can find a photo (a "before" as it hasn't taken place yet).
Owen_St_024.jpg

I don't have the measurements, but looks like around the same (3m x 3m) size doesn't it?

Do you have other options up where you are? I think someone is seriously looking to rip you off.

Regards,

Last edited:
Had a quote done for the kitchen for The Beach House and nearly fainted! :( Came in around $28K with the 2-pack paint & granite benches. (I have already purchased the major electrical applicances -- stove, fridge, sink, etc. So the quote is for cabinet stuff only, and doesn't include plumbing and electrical work.)
This is way over my budget. I can knock off $4K by substituting laminated bench tops for the granite, but really need some drastic cost cutting ideas. All help and ideas gratefully received!
Sailor,imho,maybe have a look at this site,they are in Brisbane but for a normal T/l shape Kitchenlayout/marble top/from what i see each week they start at 2k up too 4k ,your price seems very high to me but it may be different up your way,this company is good they transport all over nth/aust
and i have watched them grow over the past 20 years..willair..

http://www.graysonline.com.au/region.asp?REGION_ID=2#116

Last edited:
sailor

For a kitchen of that size, you should be able to get it done (granite and all) for $15,000 to $18,000 maximum, especially since this does not include appliances! Methinks you need to get more quotes??

Am really enjoying hearing of your progress - have fun! :)

Cheers
LynnH

sailor

For a kitchen of that size, you should be able to get it done (granite and all) for $15,000 to $18,000 maximum, especially since this does not include appliances! Methinks you need to get more quotes??

Cheers
LynnH

But if a smallish kitchen cost's about $4K and a granite bench top is about $4k extra, that makes $8k, not $15 to $18K.

Shop it around Sailor, way dear me think's.

I have wondered if after the shiny 2 pac look, why not shiny laminex door front's and sides???

Also might be worth giving Arms http://www.somersoft.com/forums/member.php?u=6816 a pm for a guestimate. His site http://www.kitcheninabox.com.au/

BB

I agree with the others, $28K doesn't sound right at all. All the kitchen decorating mags I've got showcase gorgeous kitchen and thats the more expensive end. Doesn't make sense when you've already got the appliances.

G'day Sailor,
I don't have the measurements, but looks like around the same (3m x 3m) size doesn't it?
Do you have other options up where you are? I think someone is seriously looking to rip you off.
Regards,
Thanks Les...yes it looks about the same size to me.I have another quote coming next week. Just hope tis more reasonable. There are a few cabinet/joinery places up here...but all fairly expensive.

Sailor,imho,maybe have a look at this site,they are in Brisbane but for a normal T/l shape Kitchenlayout/marble top/from what i see each week they start at 2k up too 4k ,your price seems very high to me but it may be different up your way,this company is good they transport all over nth/aust
and i have watched them grow over the past 20 years..willair..

http://www.graysonline.com.au/region.asp?REGION_ID=2#116

Thanks Willair....certainly puts my quote into perspective, doesn't it. I'll keep my eye on this site for when I'm ready to buy the outdoor spa for the deck.....next year. Prices are very good.

sailor
Cheers
LynnH
Thanks Lynn. Yep...more quotes is definitely the drill.
But if a smallish kitchen cost's about $4K and a granite bench top is about $4k extra, that makes $8k, not $15 to $18K.
Shop it around Sailor, way dear me think's.
I have wondered if after the shiny 2 pac look, why not shiny laminex door front's and sides???
Also might be worth giving Arms http://www.somersoft.com/forums/member.php?u=6816 a pm for a guestimate. His site http://www.kitcheninabox.com.au/
BB
Yes, I think I will go for the shiny laminated doors, etc, as you suggest. My current PPOR kitchen has them, and has looked magnificent for 14 years now...with no sign of wear n tear.
And I'll have another chat with Arms. My only concern with getting quotes from out of town is the problem with measurements. Tis an old house and nothing is straight. :rolleyes: So I had thought I really needed someone on site to do the measuring. Also have concerns about how much it would cost to ship to Cairns. But at the local prices quoted....it might be cheaper to have it built down south and pay for the shipping.

G'day Boat Boy,

But if a smallish kitchen cost's about $4K and a granite bench top is about $4k extra, that makes $8k,
The $4k figure mentioned by Willair covered only the costs of the cabinetry. Still need to have it shipped, and then assembled onsite. But hey, that would still be a damn sight cheaper for Sailor.

Perhaps, Sailor, check out "grey power" up there to see if a retired joiner or cabinetmaker might want to earn a buck by fitting a kitchen that you purchase this way? Could have legs?

I agree with the others that you could make things happen FAR better by looking for different ways - how'd you go with "Arms"?

Regards,

Hi Sailor,

The problem we have come across in getting quotes is that when they see the location or the quality of the house they up the price, same goes if you turn up at their showroom in a merc.

We put a Kitchen in a couple of yrs ago, we picked out a supplier that we knew were expensive and designed what we wanted. Then went to a manufacturer ( supply only ) and showed them what we wanted, they gave us more ideas and our address was not mentioned. The price came in 7k cheaper and I installed it in 3 days.

We did the same sort of thing when we wanted to replace all our windows. I measured them all up, faxed the details requesting supply/ install with only our suburb on the fax. It does seem to make a difference, hope it helps.

Regards Bushy

...when they see the location or the quality of the house they up the price...
Regards Bushy
That's wicked! They shouldn't be allowed to do it. They don't like "sneaky" customers...why should they be like that?
Methinks it's appropriate to use some LOA on this situation. I'm now asking for an honest cabinet maker.:)

I was in a "Bunnings" type of store yesterday and they have lots of kitchen displays. They had a really nice one, $28K. I thought of you Sailor.Way too much !!!

We had all the windows measured at the "big house" for the honeycomb windowblinds....$14K
Checked online, and they make these blinds, but under a different brand line for about $7K.They mailed us samples and they are great. We will be getting them.

Hi Sailor,

The problem we have come across in getting quotes is that when they see the location or the quality of the house they up the price, same goes if you turn up at their showroom in a merc.

We put a Kitchen in a couple of yrs ago, we picked out a supplier that we knew were expensive and designed what we wanted. Then went to a manufacturer ( supply only ) and showed them what we wanted, they gave us more ideas and our address was not mentioned. The price came in 7k cheaper and I installed it in 3 days.

We did the same sort of thing when we wanted to replace all our windows. I measured them all up, faxed the details requesting supply/ install with only our suburb on the fax. It does seem to make a difference, hope it helps.

Regards Bushy

We have to do it all the time.

We have coined a new term 'view price'. As soon as they start talking about the view you know that with every sentence there is another $1oo on the price

Getting back to the kitchen. We have just installed (still installing) a new kitchen.

P1010124.jpg

P1010125.jpg

P1010126.jpg

P1010127.jpg

Something like 31 doors, some with glass and 16 blum draws (the soft closing ones). Included in this are 2 sets of corner draws. With all of these options adding substantially to the costs. When we first sarted looking around the cabinet costs were about the $12k mark when we then started talking options the cost just escalated.

Cost for just the cabinets and install $17,700. We are doing the granite tops ourself. Alternate quotes were +$5k and up. The people we are using are the same ones that have installed the kitchens in all my reno's. We were initially shopping around as I didn't think that they could really handle all the 'modern' options the the boss wanted. Finally went to them and asked whether they could handle the required products. They indicated they could and gave us the price. It's been an installation nightmare for them, but they'll get there.

Cheers

PS this is the view

P1010128.jpg

Go sailor!!!

If LOA can send you a gorgeous Toy Boy - just think what it can do for you re an honest cabinet maker! :) Do let us know how you get on!

Cheers
LynnH

Called into The Beach House tonight on the way home from work....tradies are battening down the ceilings...big job. But the deck is up and the view is absolutely magic. Sorry...forgot to take the camera...will do so tomorrow.

Back