Glass vs Acrylic Bricks

Hi There,

Has anyone done a "study" on Glass vs Acrylic bricks??

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of both. I know one cost double the other to supply and intsall.

They will be used in the wet areas.

Cheers
DR

I don't have first hand experience with either of them but my expectation is that the acrylic (plastic) ones will degrade faster.

Take a look at perspex after ten years and it loses a lot of its clarity and sparkle (actually, that's probably after 2 years). You can expect in my opinion a similar result with plastic blocks.

I think it's simply a case of getting what you pay for, much like the difference between Laminate floating floors and the "real wood" ones.

Kevin.

I would assume that the acrylic bricks would be the more expensive of the two. Acrylic is a fine product with high UV resistance built throughout the product, unlike polycarbonate products which only have a UV resistant surface coating. The company that does the acrylic bricks are called Hylite I think and have been around for quite a while, at Botany. Acrylic sheeting (perspex) that crazes after a while is the cast type acrylic, low grade and low impact resistance.

You have many more choices with the glass though and glass is a more environmentally friendly product. Being in the bathroom you would go for a transluscent or opaque brick. I reccommend the glass brick.

Regards

Adrian See

HI Guys,

Thanks for your replys.

Some more research has revealed that Glass is better then acrylic.

The main reason is that acrylic fades over time and goes milky just as KM said. And it also scratches easily apparently.

Glass is much more expensives because it has to be laid on site by a bricky and needs reinforcing etc.

Acrylic is made up in the factory into frames much like making a glass window. Then its put in onsite by a chippy just like an ordinary window. Less cost to install and to make.

Cheers

DR

Darren

There is a glass brick system out there which requires no motar. It is a DIY product and it contains reinforcing and the joins are siliconed.check out glassbrickcompany.com.au

Why pay a bricklayer if you can do it yourself?

Regards

Adrian See

Hi

I agree that glass is superior.

I made a mistake once with glass bricks used in a stairwell on a three storey building. Ground plus two levels. They were non loadbearing, purely a feature wall allowing light penetration. Great aesthetic appeal and I loved them.

The building was leased to commercial tenants and all's well.

Then along came the fire Brigade on a routine inspection and issued orders for them to be removed as they were not two hour minimum fire rated. You learn by your mistakes and other peoples mistakes.

I doubt it would apply in a residential IP but check it out.

Regards

Ross

Back