Next to a zoo? Or next to a church?

Prefer neither ....

The church for all the reasons listed above + cars around election times ... our local church is a voting booth ...

The zoo because I don't like caged animals (even though I know in some cases that's how species are being kept from extinction). Be warned, the novelty of seeing an animal in a zoo will probably wear off pretty soon. And while you may be alright with it, your future wife may not. I think it'd be pretty depressing.

If you want a less emotive excuse, remember that zoos periodically update animal enclosures, and if you live near a zoo, you can pretty much guarantee noise from construction ... big trucks moving animals etc. And outside opening hours is when the little 'dune buggies' and trailers come out and deliver feed etc...

DJ

In England, I lived across the street from a mosque.

Friday afternoon parking was a problem. When Ramadan finished, they came around the neighbourhood giving out fresh fruit and veggies.

Other than that we barely saw them.

A friend lived next door to a baptist church- the music was particularly intrusive on Sunday mornings.

His music, that is. He used to turn his stereo up. :(

All that noisy chattering, cavorting, and babbling... but at least it's limited to mainly Sundays. :p

Don't forget the tap, tap, tapping, the sing, sing, singing..... not to mention the funerals.....

It all depends on the church and how much use it gets other than the Sunday services. You really need to check it out.

Wylie

Alex,

I would stay away from the zoo, animal noises wear thin very quickly. I used to rent a beach front flat where horses were allowed to be ridden along the foreshore it was great at the start but then I realised just how much noise they made galloping at full speed with the jockey's yelling to each other. It was not nice being continually woken up at 6am with a thumping hangover:mad:

This reminds me of something my little brother once said on the way to a parent teacher interview night at a christian college I used to attend, he was about 8 years old at the time

"Wow! they built it on a hill so its closer to god!"
geeez he's a classic..

:D

The homes that are close to the Perth Zoo are know for their RAT problems. The squirrel population has exploded as well beyond the fence line.
In the still of the night its amazing how LOUD the animals and bird noises are.
The Church is my vote.
cheers yadreamin

This reminds me of something my little brother once said on the way to a parent teacher interview night at a christian college I used to attend, he was about 8 years old at the time

"Wow! they built it on a hill so its closer to god!"
geeez he's a classic..

:D
Its true you know.

Its also the same reason why the beds were so high.
Closer to God.

Sure felt like you had met the devil when ya fell out too.:eek:
cheers yadreamin

Just remember, not everything is always as it seems. If you bought next to the Dagun Church, you would be living next to me !!!
We bought the church in '94 and have been living in it ever since.
I also have a church directly across from one of my IP's in Nambour and tenants have NEVER had a problem with it.
JIM

In Sydney eastern suburbs space is at a premium. I've recently realised the benefits of living near a cemetry (neighbours so quiet you think they had died...oh...they have)....very quiet large open space nearby. Lots of birdlife. Not sure what a Feng Shui advisor would say though.

Ajax

In England, I lived across the street from a mosque.

Friday afternoon parking was a problem. When Ramadan finished, they came around the neighbourhood giving out fresh fruit and veggies.

Other than that we barely saw them.(

Strange ... in England, I also lived close to a mosque. I distinctly remember being woken up by police under my window one night - stopping for a chat before they raided the mosque ... :rolleyes:

DJ

Ah well ... better luck next time. There's a McMansion out there with your name on it :D

Time and money is on your side ... no point buying a PPOR that you're not satisfied with.
I wonder how many other good IPs you're going to come across while on this PPOR mission?

DJ

The homes that are close to the Perth Zoo are know for their RAT problems. The squirrel population has exploded as well beyond the fence line.
In the still of the night its amazing how LOUD the animals and bird noises are.
The Church is my vote.
cheers yadreamin
My wife lived in a unit near the Perth Zoo on Mill pt Rd and it was nice to hear the monkeys and such in the night. Nice place to visit too as they have shows and concerts there in the evening

My last PPOR was right next door to a church - Greek Orthodox.
I loved it.
And I'm a heathen.
At Easter it went off - for days and days. They did the 12 stations of the cross walk, which I went on a few times because I loved the theatre. We stopped outside the pub, and a brothel. Not sure if those stops were strategically planned to reach the maximum number of possible sinners.
Christmas was great, too.
Weddings were huge.
During the week there was often something happening.
Parking problems? Yep occasionally, but I live in a city and that's the way it is. No point getting uptight about it.
They were great neighbours. I had a big vege garden and chooks, so I used to take stuff in to Father Nicholas on the quiet days and he would make me a coffee and we'd sit in the sun and have a chat.
Living next door to a church exposed me to something I was unfamiliar with, and I always like that.
They ended up buying the house off me.
Scott

I lived about 100m from Perth Zoo on Angelo St in 1992...and loved it!

All those animal noises...especially the monkeys early in the morning...they went off!!

Glenn

Back