BHP-where to next?

Brenda,

That's a lot of confidence you're showing in Mr Spann and his associates ;)

A very nice dividend. 12 cents on a share that was about $1.36 on the ex-div date is nearly 9%. A pity the share price has fallen nearly 20% since then though.

When you say you're the largest investor, which is indeed listed in the annual report, it's worth noting though that the top 20 investors only hold 12.5% of the issued capital.

Cheers,
GP

For those that like to look at charts..willair..
CisServGif

Wow, BHP opened up a little, but has subsequently been bashed down over a $1 in a short period of time. RIO still up for the day though (thanks to alcan maybe).

Divs are always great, i look at them as a bonus. The cream on top of the cap. growth cake so to speak. As with property the real money is the cap. growth.

I think the risk you take in buying shares you need more then divs, especially if the divs are paying a margin loan or a LOC.

Its a steep learning curve and i lost a bit of money (and time) before i started making money in the market. I put it down to the cost of my education :D

But once you learn how, you never stop and have the skill for life. All the best.

Well income wise it is real good as it is dividend paying time at this time of year. Shareprice growth wise looking not so great as you have to subtract the dividend from the price and therefore I am not in profit but longterm will be fine and I am not losing anything by holding.

For anyone interested, checkout the FXI financial announcement. Scroll down to the list of top 20 investors and Les & I are number 1. Peter Spann is going to pay us a lovely dividend shortly of nearly 37k plus franking credits. :cool:

Its a steep learning curve and i lost a bit of money (and time) before i started making money in the market. I put it down to the cost of my education :D
The main item is never stop learning and reading,every day is different,but when you see Citigroup start to face the facts they they may be down 12 billion due to the sub-prime-mess it would be a time to be very carefull.
willair.imho..
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/05/2081724.htm?section=justin

I agree wholeheartedly, i'm always learning and researching. I have found half the battle was between my ears. And i dont mean how smart i was but my psychological approach to investing/trading.

It was the same old story with me. Hanging on to losers and selling winners. Once you can overcome that, you're half way to success.The other half is picking the the winners...lol

Citigroup...oh man...$12 billion!!

The main item is never stop learning and reading,every day is different,but when you see Citigroup start to face the facts they they may be down 12 billion due to the sub-prime-mess it would be a time to be very carefull.
willair.imho..
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/05/2081724.htm?section=justin

As long as the US market continues to be pessimistic about the current situation we wont recover much.

As far as guessing when that might be....no thanks.

Anyone going to risk dirty fingers and try to pick the bottom of this current "adjustment"? :)

Had a look at FXI. Very low volumes. Not good for trading. If something goes wrong it would be hard to liquidate.

I'm going to take some profits today.

Clean up my portfolio. Reduce my debt for a buying opportunity when the next big dip comes. Maybe reduce my share debt altogether if it keeps going up.

Plus, this Oz $ is going to effect profits for a lot of stuff. Not neccessarily resource stocks, because resource stocks are linked to the Oz $ and our economy. Don't think I'll be selling BHP.

See ya's.

I did some more selling today. I now don't own any banks. Just about all the stuff I've been selling has been the better dividend paying companies, but that won't matter soon, cause I'm thinking I'm going to sell a bit more so I'm share debt free. Then I won't need the dividends anyway to pay my loan.

Plus, I want to buy a ski boat. The misses Made an ultimatum, reduce the debt, or no boat. :eek:

I reckon there are harder times ahead. Inflation is going to hit a lot of things. Meat prices, they haven't even started yet. You won't believe where they are going.

With do debt, I will be able to buy up in a big dump like what happened a few months ago.

Shares are no longer cheap. Not expensive either, but anyway, that's what I've done.

See ya's.

I am trying to have a clean up too but man it's hard deciding what to sell. There is a few like AOE and OXR that I planned on chopping but I can't pull the trigger. Both seem to want a little more time to run.....

I am trying to have a clean up too but man it's hard deciding what to sell. There is a few like AOE and OXR that I planned on chopping but I can't pull the trigger. Both seem to want a little more time to run.....

It doesn't matter to me but you must answer yourself: Why sell? They have both done well so you would be up for big bickies in CGT had you bought these just a couple of years ago. They must be due to start paying a div which would be a great return on what they were selling for back then.

I'm jealous. I wish I'd bought OXR and held AOE. Most of my trading errors have been on the sell side.

It doesn't matter to me but you must answer yourself: Why sell?
There is a bit of tax planning behind it, over the next few years I will have a pretty low taxable income so will be a good time to realise some of my CG for minimal tax. Some other shares like MCR I have sold and bought straight back in a trust, couldn't sleep without them :D

Please don't remind me. I was buying MCR @ 12.5c. You can probably guess how many I have today. :(

Selling the peaks and buying the dips is for egotists. I'm learning humility. :)

With do debt, I will be able to buy up in a big dump like what happened a few months ago.
Well done,cuts all the worry out what you have done, i did the same a while back,and once the markets opens this morning and the big dump starts again you will be happy at the price you sold for a few days ago..
willair..

Selling your winners and keeping the losers or also rans?

It doesn't matter to me but you must answer yourself: Why sell? They have both done well so you would be up for big bickies in CGT had you bought these just a couple of years ago. They must be due to start paying a div which would be a great return on what they were selling for back then.

I'm jealous. I wish I'd bought OXR and held AOE. Most of my trading errors have been on the sell side.

Well done,cuts all the worry out what you have done, i did the same a while back,and once the markets opens this morning and the big dump starts again you will be happy at the price you sold for a few days ago..
willair..
Is that what is happening this morning, a big dump? Very nearly tempting to buy more in, but just not quite. :D

Back