Sunset Clause.

To all the wise Queenslanders.

Could one.......or several of you please explain to me where I would find the "Sunset Clause" in a land sales contract and what it means please.

Cheers chrisv

Queensland Department of Justice
Dept of Justice said:
Sunset clauses allow both the purchaser and builder/developer to terminate the contract if certain conditions have not been met within an agreed time frame. Sunset clauses are often found in 'off the plan' contracts.

Penalties for missing these deadlines vary from contract to contract and these penalties usually depend on which party enforces the sunset clause.

Some sunset clauses will allow the developer to keep your deposit if you fail to meet a payment deadline or if you terminate the contract. This will depend on your contract details, so read it carefully and get legal advice.

Home buyers should always seek legal advice before signing contracts so they understand their rights and all the risks involved when buying off the plan.

Be aware of any sunset clauses that may allow your developer to withdraw from the contract. Although rare, developers sometimes activate sunset clauses when property prices have increased, terminate existing contracts, and sell the units for a greater profit.

As an example, I might sign a contract for a new PPOR with a sunset clause that states:
The contract is subject to the satisfactory sale of my current PPOR within x weeks.

This gives me time to sell my home, to be able to finance the new one. However, the sellers of the new home can still sell their place to someone else, if they get a better offer... Although under contract, either party can pull out.
Steve

Last edited:
I was unaware that a sunset clause was used in civil contracts (Thanks Yo Yo) but it is sometimes written into parliamentary legislation.

Here legislation is passed but with an explicit expiry date. If not ratified again the law lapses. There are some big tax cuts in the US written with a sunset clause and it looks as if they may be allowed to lapse.

Should be used more often because time proves much law to be folly. :D

Should be used more often because time proves much law to be folly. :D

half of Perth is litigating over sunset clauses at the moment. Developers trying to wriggle out and buyers desperately trying to hold on. courts have had a gutful and are jammed with it.

they are great when working to your advantage - otherwise a slap in the face at the end of a long and arduous wait

Sunset clauses are common when you are needing to sell your ppor to buy theirs. A clause will be inserted stating for example, that should another buyer become interested and want to sign a contract on the same place, then you have 72 hours to make it unconditional otherwise you are out in the cold. I got pipped on a place with one hour left to go on the sunset.
JIM

might be some mish mashing of terminology here - a sunset clause is usually 2 to 4 years, whereas a 48 hour clause is used when buying subject to sale.

We learn all the time and SS would have to be one of the best PI resources.

In this instant the The sunset clause is actually a Sunset date attached to a land sales contract from a developer and refers to the last date when the developers has to obtain registration of the plan. Below is a section from a document you can find here -

http://www.holdingredlich.com.au/articles/PEC - Off the Plan purchase seminar paper - pdf.PDF

Section 9AE(2) – Time for Registration of Plan

Section 9AE also deals with the purchasers right to rescind the contract. This Section provides that
where there has been a breach of Section 9AA or 9AB the purchaser may rescind the contract of sale at
any time before the plan is registered. Section 9AE(2) is a very important section because it sets out a
time frame by which an unregistered plan must be registered by. The section provides that if no period is
specified in the contract, the plan of subdivision must be registered within 18 months of the date of the
contract. As many of you would also be aware, it is common for an off the plan contract to provide for a
longer period than 18 months. This is permitted by the Section. If the plan is not registered within the
stipulated period the purchaser may rescind the contract under this Section. Contracts often provide that
in the situation where the plan is not registered within the time frame specified, both the vendor and the
purchaser have a right to avoid the contract. The section does not prevent the vendor from giving himself
the right to rescind the contract in this situation. It just gives the purchaser a statutory right to rescind
which the vendor cannot take away in the contract. The condition dealing with the time frame for the
registration of the plan is often referred to as the “sunset clause”. I will deal with the vendor’s obligations
under this clause a little later in this paper.
Due to time constraints, I will now move away from the legislative provisions to now just consider the
contractual provisions in an off the plan contract such as the particulars of sale and special conditions that
one usually finds in such contracts.

I have spoken to Multiplex who assured me that registration will be issued by the end of the year.

Still it is something to consider.

Cheers Chrisv.

Hey im a property agent from up in Cairns and we deal with alot of off the plan selling.

A sunset clause is used when buying off the plan.
IF the project is not completed for any reason by the agreed date, the contract can be terminated due to breach of the sunset clause. You can still go through with the purchase if you desire it just gives you another way out.

Back