Sydney - Northern Beaches

I can't believe that 450k sale, Can you tell us more about it? Was it a steep block, knockdown?
Hi Karina,

It was only a few houses down from my PPOR. They were a nutty family on lowish income I presume. Home schooling, the whole box and dice. Half a dozen cars in various states of repair clogging up the street. Their off street parking looked like a commercial garage space with spare parts everywhere. The house was almost a knock down and rubbish everywhere.

BUT, they're gone now. The new owners chucked out all the rubbish, gave it a lick of paint and a few new flowers, and suddenly it looks great. Would easily have added $200K to their purchase price for a month's work...

I too would have bought it but was cash tight at the time. Tried to get friends of ours to buy it, but they were a couple of days late and it had already sold. Great opportunity that doesn't come up too often. Didn't even use an REA, so their audience was really small.

Cheers,
Michael

that seems very Cheap for Mona vale.

What do you guys think about purchasing a unit in Balgowlah?

Balgowlah is pretty good, although I find there is such a lack of decent stock around there and you have to spend high $500K to get anything decent. If I had a choice I would probably go Freshwater (Harbord) over Balgowlah, better bang for your buck and just as good investment.

Thats better BigTone. I thought you purchased in 2003 for $950K and the bank valuation came in the same. That is a more reasonable rate of return.

Thats a lot better. All you asset rich baby boomers out there... :( I'm jealous... then again I'd take youth anyday... :)

North Narrabeen about to take off

Hi Guys,

There's a two page spread in this weeks Manly Daily property section titled: "The peninsula's rags to riches suburb is about to take off". And I'll give you one guess which suburb it is talking about! :D OK, you probably guessed it: North Narrabeen. That property I mentioned at $450K was an absolute steal just down the road from me in Nareen Pde, and there's even another "entry level" house touted in this article in my street to at number 22. I inspected it on the weekend and it looks really nice. The agent (a good friend of mine who I sail with) reckons it will fetch mid 700's.

Peter Koulizos from the Property School singled out North Narrabeen at a SIG meeting last year as one of his top 10 picks for Sydney. Notably, it was the only suburb North of the harbour on his list.

Here's a link to his report which has North Narrabeen as no. 10 on his Sydney list:

http://www.thepropertyschool.com.au/downloads/Sydney Property Expo 2007.pdf

I'm stoked as my PPOR is in this suburb and conservatively valued today at around $850K. It cost me $650K to buy the land and build the house, so only a small profit thus far but I'm quietly confident this will only improve in the coming years. Needless to say, beware of my optimism as I own in this suburb so am declaring my hand openly.

Here's the full transcript of the Manly Daily article, and I've attached an image of it below for the visual appearance as printed.

Manly Daily said:
The peninsula’s rags to riches suburb is about to take off

Kathryn Welling
Property Editor

North Narrabeen is a real rags to riches suburb; you can pay as little as $650,000 for an old cottage or as much as $2.5M for a lakefront mansion.

It is without doubt the cheapest suburb on the peninsula that is also close to the beach and while it hasn’t taken off in the way some of its coastal neighbours have, agents are predicting the next five years will see this diverse pocket enjoy some serious capital growth.

Daniel Nicholson, of McGrath, said part of the reason it was such good value was that most of the suburb was within a 100 year flood zone and part is also in a slipzone. Homeowners wanting to extend by as little as 10sqm must jack up the whole property to protect it from flooding.

“Of course there hasn’t been a major flood for years but council is covering itself… if you drive around the suburb you can see houses with massive brick bases and four stairs up where owners have raised their property.” He said.

There are still 50-year-old weatherboard cottages to be had in streets such as Gondola Rd and Lido Ave and some of the cheaper homes are elevated with lovely views but a good many stairs.

Beachside of the suburb, on the corner of Ocean and Wellington sts, 18 new townhouses are being built on the site of two old homes. Labelled “Reflections”, these two and three bedroom townhouses are for sale for between $1million and $1.5 million and aimed at active retirees and professional couples looking for the beach lifestyle.

And the record for the suburb is $2.78 million for 105 Wimbledon Ave, right on the lake, for a 5 bedroom, four bathroom home that changed hands in November last year.

Kerrie Patterson, of Patterson Morton, said there was a huge range of styles in this compact suburb from dirt cheap to expensive, lakefront to hugging a hill, beachfront to bushland suburbia. You can even live in a mobile home in the local caravan park.

Kim and Damien King have loved living on the North Narrabeen peninsula. “We have surfers running past with big smiles on their faces, a street party each Boxing Day and we were told our home was once the first church in the area,” Kim said.

Their house at 35 Lisle St has three over-large bedrooms, an open-plan lounge and dining room, newish kitchen and off-street parking. It is on 430sqm of land and for sale for offers over $1.2 million.

Kylie Segedin, of L.J.Hooker Mona Vale, who is marketing the home, said 70 per cent of buyers in North Narrabeen were themselves locals but she was starting to see English buyers venture further north and buy up in North Narrabeen. This home is open today for inspections between 1pm and 1.45pm or call Kylie for more information on 9979 8000.

A great entry level home for the area would be 22 Nareen Pde which goes to auction next Saturday with bidding from $700,000 expected. This weatherboard home has been beautifully fitted out, it has a lovely district outlook and offers quite a bit of accommodation with four bedrooms, two bathrooms and 1334sqm of land. Of course much of the land is steep and the house is elevated from the road, giving it the nice bushy view. There is a deck on one level and a large entertaining area on the other plus two large separate living areas. There is even a Roman-style bath and shower. Inspect today between 1pm and 1.45pm or call Daniel at McGrath for information on 9997 2333.
Between my North Narrabeen PPOR and my Mona Vale MUH development site, I know I'm in a strong property position. I just need the next 5 years to play out as anticipated and I'll be set up for retirement. Fingers crossed and wish me luck!! :D

Cheers,
Michael

Attachments

• North Narrabeen about to take off.JPG
    North Narrabeen about to take off.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 107
Between my North Narrabeen PPOR and my Mona Vale MUH development site, I know I'm in a strong property position. I just need the next 5 years to play out as anticipated and I'll be set up for retirement. Fingers crossed and wish me luck!! :D

Cheers,
Michael

Michael
Yes you are in a strong position & it's worth the wait.
It won't be long now.
We just need those interest rates to start coming down and the market will take off again.
Cheers

I have to say - I think Manly is looking nasty! There are now 200+ for sale listings on Realestate.com.au and over 139 rentals. Have not seen it like this for a while.

There is actially an article in The Manly Daily today mentioning that businesses are noticing a slow down in demand, restuarants inparticular. It even mentions that a couple of RE agencies have closed down and that prices dropping.

I think the next few months will be interesting - hold on for the ride.. I'm just glad I have been humble and have not extended myself. :cool:

Muzz,

You're off topic. Please keep the henny penny posts to the other rubbish threads floating around. This thread is about the Northern Beaches and not the state of play of interest rates. By the way, I disagree with you, but this is not the thread for that debate, there's many others serving that purpose already.

Cheers,
Michael.

$10,000 to walk through the door - The Manly daily

….. and people are paying it.. plus a lot of them are investors!

It has been an interesting couple of weeks, still very low rentals and a number of sales first week on the market which shows that it is not necessarily a sick market.

Dee Why appears to be holding up quite well. I had a couple of friends who put their unit on the market and sold it for 15K more than they expected and were pleasantly surprised, and another who are renting out a unit and ended up getting $530 per week, they only expected $470 per week. (GHPC bloggers think DY is on the down compared to the rest of the Northern Beaches)!! :(

Wow, some great results!

I've actually decided to move forward with my Mona Vale development now. I'm going to tender the work and see what it comes back at so that I cna accurately complete my costing model. If it comes back in under the $1.2M budget then I'm going to get on with it. Building costs are increasing daily as are rents. Therefore, delay costs me more in my build and once finished the yield will be better than today. At today's expected yield the cash flow is no worse than held as is.

I'll update my thread when I get the tender process underway, but I think its time to get on with it.

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael,

You' re dead right, building prices are rising. In your favor tho is the drop off in approvals (less work for builders and tradies) which means you might get some competitive prices.

Get your tenderers to hold their price for a long way out if you can. As an ex contractor i wouldn't give that to you in writing but you can try.

Wow, some great results!

I've actually decided to move forward with my Mona Vale development now. I'm going to tender the work and see what it comes back at so that I cna accurately complete my costing model. If it comes back in under the $1.2M budget then I'm going to get on with it. Building costs are increasing daily as are rents. Therefore, delay costs me more in my build and once finished the yield will be better than today. At today's expected yield the cash flow is no worse than held as is.

I'll update my thread when I get the tender process underway, but I think its time to get on with it.

Cheers,
Michael.

You' re dead right, building prices are rising. In your favor tho is the drop off in approvals (less work for builders and tradies) which means you might get some competitive prices.

Get your tenderers to hold their price for a long way out if you can. As an ex contractor i wouldn't give that to you in writing but you can try.
Hi Evan,

Good call on both counts. I'll definately try and get 6 months of lock in on the quotes instead of the standard 3 odd. I'm also hoping on a drop off in work getting some competitive bids, but the news on the street on the Northern Beaches is that its busier than ever. Its going gangbusters and prices are on the improve despite all the doom and gloom. Its one of those cashed up afluent areas with a lot of old money and a lot of retirees moving in there. My property is appealing to the downsizing boomers so should be in demand upon completion if I were to try and sell some. But at this stage I'm pitching at a build to let.

Letting all three allows me to control $3.6M in assets if I add in my PPOR. Not a bad position to be in on the Northern Beaches for the next few decades.

Cheers,
Michael.

Ain't that the truth Ruth. Good on you and good luck.

Not a bad position to be in on the Northern Beaches for the next few decades.

Cheers,
Michael.

I remember surfing on the Northern Beaches a long time ago. It was a land of blue collar and tradesmen in utes with boards in the back.

Those days are gone and as you say, its been discovered by the cashed up boomers.

May I ask the opinion of those with much greater contact with the Nbeaches their opinion of Newport over the next few years?
Debating whether or not to undertake a long settlement (24-36months) on a property on the bungan beach/newport headland (minor ocean views, but good view of Pittwater, older house surrounded by new places on an 800m2 block). I know that there is going to be major reno done on the main street, just after peoples thoughts in general.

I have been living in Newport for 2 years now and love it. Its a great place to live. Very peaceful. Surrounded by beautiful beaches and parks. Don't see myself moving from the northern beaches any time soon.

I grew up at Newport - loved it!!

I know someone who recently sold a 4 bedroom / 2 bathroom house with Pittwater views, unrenovated for $885 on the Newport hill. It was bought by a guy who had been living in London for the last 10 years but wanted to come back to Sydney for a better life for his kids.

From what I know, a lot of people are coming home, also English people are very keen to settle around Newport, Avalon and Bilgola. It’s also a little more affordable than Manly etc so you have the immigrants plus locals keen on the area.

Never as nice as in the 70's but still a great spot..

Hi Guys,

Looks like the NSW State Government might yet do something for the long-suffering Northern Beaches commuters:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24142619-5005961,00.html

Herald Sun said:
The addition of turning lanes, removal of parking spaces and use of buses fitted with global positioning systems (GPS) will improve travel times and traffic flows on the beleaguered Spit Bridge and adjoining sections of road, the Government says.

"Installation of the new GPS bus priority system on 300 buses at Brookvale and Mona Vale depots has started already, and the technology is expected to be operational on the corridor by December this year," Mr Roozendaal said.

"This technology means late running buses will be identified by a satellite tracking system and get priority at traffic lights."

Currently, each weekday 60,000 commuters used buses on the stretch of road, Mr Roozendaal said.

"The indications are we are getting 15 to 20 per cent improvement in bus travel times (using GPS)," Mr Wielinga said.
Sounds like a good start! The NRMA supports it, but Mosman Council has fought this for a while as the taking away of parking on Military Rd arguably would hurt local small business along that strip. But I figure in peak hour noone is really shopping that strip anyway, they're all just trying to get across the bridge to the CBD and crawling along fighting with buses that come in and out of the kerbside lane to miss all the parked cars.

Got to be a step forward. A 20% reduction in L90 times to the CBD would be a huge improvement! :D

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Guys,

Looks like the NSW State Government might yet do something for the long-suffering Northern Beaches commuters:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24142619-5005961,00.html

Sounds like a good start! The NRMA supports it, but Mosman Council has fought this for a while as the taking away of parking on Military Rd arguably would hurt local small business along that strip. But I figure in peak hour noone is really shopping that strip anyway, they're all just trying to get across the bridge to the CBD and crawling along fighting with buses that come in and out of the kerbside lane to miss all the parked cars.

Got to be a step forward. A 20% reduction in L90 times to the CBD would be a huge improvement! :D

Cheers,
Michael

Will the changes prioritising busses not make it worse for those driving?

Will the changes prioritising busses not make it worse for those driving?
Hi Red Car,

My understanding is that the capital works will be to create right turn bays and dedicated bus lanes by removing parking. So, it will deliver a net improvement for all commuters, but moreso for buses fitted with GPS to allow priority at traffic lights if they fall behind schedule.

The dedicated bus lanes free the main two lanes for cars only. At present cars compete with buses in these lanes. So, in effect, they're creating a whole other lane.

Cheers,
Michael

Just looking thru RE.Com and found this.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=72684226&s=nsw&snf=ras&tm=1218091046

625m2 on Barrenjoey Rd Newport with DA Approval for 3 x 2 Bedroom + Study Townhouses. $725k. seems reasonably
Wow!

That looks great!! Sean Gartner was my architect and this is very similar to what I have planned. I have a site with three dwellings approved but they're 3 bedroom plus study instead of 2 plus study. Mine is also a fair bit closer to the CBD being in Mona Vale, and also not on the main drag like this one. Hence the lower asking price here of $725K.

Still, I paid $690K for my site and another $30K for the DA process. All up including stamp duty its cost me $750K odd so far, so I'm not too far removed from where this would be with stamp duty applied. And I think my site is better! :D

Still, this is an easy entry project for someone who wants all the DA work done for them, and council might be willing to go low on offers too in this market. If I had finished my Mona Vale development then I'd be ringing the agent and offering $650K for that site so I could go again. What's more, once finished I'll already have the team built around me so repeating the process will become easier in the future. I'll be on the lookout for ads like this in 18 months time!! Just got to preserve my capital to develop Mona Vale first. Shame this one came up a bit early...

Cheers,
Michael

Back