Nambour

Im living overseas at present, but I expect to be offered a job in Nambour very soon and I am also on the look out for my next investment property.

At face value, Nambour looks good to me because:

a) the property prices are lower than other parts of the coast.
b) there appears to be good infrastructure there.
c) there would be good rental opportunities for hospital staff.
d) there is a train station with links to brisbane and other parts of the coast.

I've noticed a new developent on realestate.com.au called "The Image" at Nambour. Those of you who are locals or in the know, what are your thoughts on this development, or Nambour in general, as a long-term investment in terms of capital growth?

Any other suggestions or information you may want to share about Nambour would be much appreciated. :)

Im living overseas at present, but I expect to be offered a job in Nambour very soon and I am also on the look out for my next investment property.

At face value, Nambour looks good to me because:

d) there is a train station with links to brisbane and other parts of the coast.

I've noticed a new developent on realestate.com.au called "The Image" at Nambour. Those of you who are locals or in the know, what are your thoughts on this development, or Nambour in general, as a long-term investment in terms of capital growth?

Any other suggestions or information you may want to share about Nambour would be much appreciated. :)

The Sunshine Coast will be hit hard by the coming downturn. My advice would be to rent and look to buy in 12 to 18 months. There will be bargains to be had then.

The Sunshine Coast will be hit hard by the coming downturn. My advice would be to rent and look to buy in 12 to 18 months. There will be bargains to be had then.

What makes you say that Hgrant?

Bushranger: I agree I LOVE nambour. That is where are looking. (got my eye on one right now:) )

If the "Sunshine Coast" gets hit - Nambour is where they are going. The people who just can;t afford to rent on the coast have not a lot of options than to either move away or go to Nambour :)

I live on the coast itself and talking to "Joe Public" you tend to get the impression that Nambour is a bit daggy :) (They are probably right, but it is coming ahead) Just becareful that the investments you are looking at are not in the price range that there is the option of coming back to the coast.
Nambour people love Nambour and will stay in Nambour - "Coast" people will rent in Nambour when they have to and given the option a lot will "upgrade" to the coast

There is a lot hapeneing up there for the next few years.
http://www.maroochy.qld.gov.au/sitePage.cfm?code=projects_gm8b

Cheers
Sue

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

HGrant - I would like to get the extra FHOG before it runs out on 30th June. Thats one big incentive for me, but I do see what you mean.

Moyjos, thank you. Do you mean I should focus on a property at the lower end of the market - with a significantly cheaper rent - than a similar property on the coast, so that people will be less motivated to leave Nambour when times get better?

I am actually thinking the opposite - i.e. about buying a new unit/house around the $400K mark, walking distance to the hospital, and renting it out to medical staff who could pay a premium on the rent, if you see what I mean. Lots of demand there too I would have thought.

Don't know what your thoughts are on that.

Moyjos, thank you. Do you mean I should focus on a property at the lower end of the market - with a significantly cheaper rent - than a similar property on the coast, so that people will be less motivated to leave Nambour when times get better?

Not saying YOU should go that route :) it is just the route I am taking.
I am not 100% sure about the CG of the higher end. For me if I was looking at the 400K market I would be in Brisbane or one the coast itself ... but that is just me.

I am actually thinking the opposite - i.e. about buying a new unit/house around the $400K mark, walking distance to the hospital, and renting it out to medical staff who could pay a premium on the rent, if you see what I mean. Lots of demand there too I would have thought.

Don't know what your thoughts are on that.

Hi

Many years ago when locuming at Nambour Hospital I was stunned by the number of people that commuted from the coast areas as it was thought more desirable to live there. I'd just check my demographics before expecting that staff may rent a property. Perhaps if you can find a contact who works there may be useful in this regard.

Cheers

Shane

Thanks Shane and Moyjos.

With your advice in mind, I am definately going to rethink Nambour.

The other place I am now seriously considering is Caloundra given the proposed rail development and new hospital. Ive seen older style 2 bedroom units on the net recently very near the beach for around $350K, which is also well within my budget. :)

Ive also considered Coolum, but that more because I like it rather than knowledge of proposed development. :D

Anyway, thanks again to both of you.

Good thinking with the rail links/ hospital/ infrastructure... I think it is a solid area. Remember that the hospital will be relocating to Kawana by 2014, which may reduce some of the capital growth for Nambour? They will still be keeping Nambour General open in some capacity though. The rail link will also be brought through to Maroochydore.

EDIT: I read you are already aware of the hospital relocation.

Last edited:
With regards to Nambour, I have IP's in both Nambour & Kings Beach (Caloundra area), Both have performed extremely well for me over the past 6 years, I have been telling anyone who would listen for years now about Nambour as an ideal location for investment. As others have stated in this thread, it basically gets a tick in every box as far as I'm concerned. You get pretty good bang for your buck too.

Jim

PS. Just noticed I have chalked up 500 posts, yay me !!!
Only took me 5 years. :D

IF we get the Kawana hospital :) If the pollies can stop fighting over it.

I wish they would sort out the Nambour mill site too.

Some certainty will do Nambour the world of good.

Saying that though I am not far off buying up there.

At present the hospital is going ahead, it's currently out for tender, I have a set of plans for it on my desk at work, I also priced "Nambour Aged Care" this week, so I'm assuming that's a nursing home being built there.

Back