Price changes over 12 months

Am just wondering about discrepancies I'm finding when researching the average prices of houses in one particular suburb over the past 12 months.

API say increased by 13%

RP Data say increased by 11.9%

Similar enough, BUT the big discrepancy comes from the rate given by the local REA's I spoke to: decreased by 10%.

How can the reports say prices have increased, but the local agents say prices have decreased?

Am just wondering about discrepancies I'm finding when researching the average prices of houses in one particular suburb over the past 12 months.

API say increased by 13%

Similar enough, BUT the big discrepancy comes from the rate given by the local REA's I spoke to: decreased by 10%.

How can the reports say prices have increased, but the local agents say prices have decreased?

Good luck finding reliable figures, maybe a good start is here http://www.commbank.com.au/propertyvalueguide/
I'd more likely take note of someone who knows your area
that you can trust as giving a better idea of what prices are
doing in that area.

Am just wondering about discrepancies I'm finding when researching the average prices of houses in one particular suburb over the past 12 months. API say increased by 13% RP Data say increased by 11.9%

Welcome to the forum morecowbell and to the world of statistics and data collection.
Just in a few words I'll attempt an explanation:
The data is from medians. Median is not medium. Median is where half the houses sell above and half the houses sell below.

The % rates up or down thing only works for decent numbers of sales occurring in an area or they are SNR.

i.e. If there were 3 sales one month: $600K, $500K and $400K then the median is $500K....(this was also the medium, but that's another story). But next month if 3 sales occurred at $500K, $400K and $300K, then the median is $400K and OMG shock horror the median sales price has fallen 20%.........sell, sell, sell, the sky is falling. What is happening in the suburb? Well possible nothing.....just some lower priced houses sold, is all. So you have to be really CAREFUL with median sales data.
Some data collection companies have tried to avoid this "error" by looking at re-sales of the same properties and I can see merit in this. However, it cannot & does not take into account any renovations or additions that were done to the property.

Add to this mix what the Agents on the ground are saying - they reckon 10% fall? Well maybe, maybe not.
Of the sales these agents make, are they a broad cross-section? (i.e a mix of higher priced, middle priced and lower end) Then I'd be more likely to believe them - as much as you believe any REA :rolleyes:. Or are these agents only selling 30% of all the properties in the suburb and another stronger agent selling the other 70% and they are having a myopic view of the market?

Well I hope you can see where this is heading......with this kind of conflicting data, I'd be checking:

1. Web-sites:
a. www.apm.com.au
b. www.rpdata.com.au
c. www.realestate.com.au
d. www.residex.com.au
e. www.homepriceguide.com.au
f. www.domain.com.au
g. www.propertyvalue.com.au
h. http://www.lands.nsw.gov.au
i. http://www.eac.com.au
j. http://www.commbank.com.au/propertyvalueguide/default.asp
k. http://www.onthehouse.com.au
l. www.htw.com.au
2. Multi-list – sales reports
3. REI in the state
4. Lands Titles Office
5. Australian Bureau of Statistics
6. Various agency sales records - if you can
7. Local council

Analyse the above for data about:
1. Sales history on the individual property (if available)
2. Sales trends – i.e. prices trending up, down or sideways?
3. Days on the market to sale
4. Withdrawn from sale properties
5. Level of discounting from initially advertised selling prices
6. Population demographic:
a. Population size
b. Age stats
c. Family compositions
d. Type of dwelling
e. Nature of occupancy – owned / rented / purchasing
f. Transport to work
7. Covenants / easements / zoning / flood affected? / proposed developments in the area / renovations undertaken
8. Methods of sale – auction or private treaty
9. Clearance rates on auctions
10. Vacancy rates
11. Median rental values
12. Availability of public transport
13. Locations of schools, shops, shopping centres, hospitals, parks & playgrounds, airports, libraries, medical centres, aged care facilities, places of worship
14. Area sewered or unsewered? Natural Gas available? ADSL / wireless or cable internet available?
15. Town water / tank water / bore water available?
16. Heritage Listing

And that's just a start (not a comprehensive list) - you get the idea. Do your own DD.

Average & Median prices can be very deceptive if you dont know whats happening in the area. They get quite distorted by the type of property sold in that time frame.
So it needs repeating, be very careful before using that info to make a decision.

Another factor that can lead to strange results is new development. I've seen instances where existing properties have had minimal growth but new development has raised the median / mean value of the suburb by a more significant amount.

It's nice to see such good advice being handed out, was going to give some kudo's but, I need to spread it around a bit more. so sorry guys you miss out this time.

Once you understand statistics your've got to love them. They can prove almost anything.

Noticed in my patch SEAFORD, SA the median had gone up alot (that means I can't remember the exact figure), the old part of the suburb is 1970's houses in the $260-$320 range, the esplanade is $600 (emplty bock) - $1.1m, the new subdivision has courtyard homes $300-$400 and some average to big homes in the $400-$500 range so lots of new stuff is selling (to cashed up Brits), in reality the suburb is still growing at about the 7-10% per year mark that it has done for the past 20-30 years (along time).

Cheers
Graeme

API say increased by 13%

WElcome to the forum MORECOWBELL. I had not seen your posts previous to this one.
An excellent question and hope to see you posting more.:)

Proportunity

What a wonderfully comprehensive answer. I am archiving those sources. Kudo to you.:D

A, that is a fantastic post, good on you, J.

Welcome morecowbell, love your name!

In the early days, I would follow API and RP Data Statistics like bibles.

Once I started my own research with a lot of footwork and some strenuous chin wagging, I realised the stats were great for guides only. I do not rely on them, especially where percentages are concerned.

By the time those statistics are researched and printed, three months may have passed. In this economic climate three months is a very long time.:rolleyes:

I mostly use them to look for:

1. Price Range
2. Median rent returns (Generally more consistent)
3. A guide as to where a suburb is in regards to it's growth cycle by following the statistics quarterly.
4. Comparing units to houses in regards to price differences. (Large margin between units and houses= growth in units. Margin closed between unit and houses=growth in houses.):)

Regards JO

Back