Sunshine Coast and Hinterland

Re: Re: messages below in Brisbane, and regarding the baby boom migration to the Coast.

I have been following some various undeveloped areas over the last number of years on the Sunshine Coast, with the intent of one day investing and eventually living on the coast. For me, I grew up near the coast, in a small hicksville town with my relatives on the coast living the dream so to speak. So in the end it is where I'd like to settle.

I have been away from home for a number of years now and have managed to invest in hicksville and I am seeing in the last year or so some noticable gains in the market value, particularly in the last 12mths. At least I know the market there and am able to make affordable repayments for resonable returns.

Surprisingly the Sunny Coast and Hinterland has gone up madly, in my eye, so much so my relatives have actually moved closer to hicksville, sold their now prestige near six figure property and diversified their cash across a couple of property investments giving them a nice income, quiet lifestyle and they managed to be at a distance that is near to the beloved water! With no kids at home and Brissy just a couple of hours away I think many are realizing this semi-retired dream. I think for my line, they just get chased away by the development and the busy-ness and are chasing their childhood holidays on the Gold Coast in the 50's and 60's. I'll probably do the same once I stop roaming about, just hopefully not in hicksville!

Over the last one and half years on the Sunny Coast property prices have boomed. Does anyone have any comments? Is the market on the Sunny Coast heading towards a big pop. My feeling it is more of an adjustment for near coastal living when compared to the Gold Coast expansion, where there is probably too much available, and at a greater distance from the coast. I only wish I had of jumped into something on the sunny coast one and a half years ago when I had the time to look around.

Nevertheless let me add, that I am lucky and everyone in Australia is very lucky in terms of home ownership and property investment oppourtunities. I work in Ireland presently, where the market is not free, development is restricted, property developers are select, they hold back on completing development and the governments hold back for them too it is a developers gold mine if you're privy to the club. (I'm not, sorry to any wanabe expats developers).

Rents here are higher than the repayments you would make on any loan. The banks, however are difficult with people even though interest rates are lower than home. It is a daunting prospect here for young people to consider that the average property starting price in Dublin city for a 2 bed shoebox unit is around AUD $350,000 (and thats not that near to town either) and they'll never be able to loan that on one income.

Don't worry I'll be home soon.

All comments appreciated.

Hi Gun
I've followed the market on the Sunshine Coast too. My family live in that part of the world, so it's a vested interest but also very enjoyable! I'd tend to agree with you - it's a market adjustment that's also happened to property in Brisbane more than a HUGE boom. I'm looking forward to making some purchases in the area.
There's lots of development around Maroochydore and Mooloolaba. Heaps of shops, good transport and medical facilities. Although not the most pleasant and relaxing part of the coast (there's development everywhere), from an investment perspective surely a good prospect.
Just my two-bobs worth. Look forward to hearing other people's views.
Cheers
ElizabethL

Hi,

I own an investment property on the Sunshine Coast (Marcoola). Yes, huge gains in the last 12 months. I wouldn't say its about to bust, but I wouldn't buy right now. A shortage of stock on the market, so prices at a bit of a peak. I get letters from RE agents everyday asking me to list. Things are frantic. Prices won't plummet, but the shortage of stock may have created a bit of an artificial high.

Gail

I live in Maroochydore on the banks of the Maroochy River. I've had spectacular capital gains in the last 18 months, so much so that now I can't afford to sell as I can't find something to replace it with.

All around the area the prices have skyrocketed, of course Noosa, only 20 mins away has done even better. It's nearly impossible to find a 'special' to buy at present, everyone thinks that their backstreet cheapie is now worth a fortune. We do need a small 'market correction' to stabilise things a bit but I guess that it's going to be a while before this happens.

Even hunting in the hinterland it's extremely hard to find a deal worth getting excited about. Nearly every property has come on the market in the last month or so to take advantage of the higher prices.

Todays Investor section fo the Courier Mail (main brisbane rag, owned by news) and it rates Mudjimba on the Sunshine Coast as top CG suburb in QLD for 5yrs to dec 2002. 146%, just edges out Bulimba. My brother bought there in 2001 paid 140K, bank valued 260K recently and he hasn't spent a cent.

Darryl

I think capital growth on the Sunshine Coast may peak soon followed by a period of stabilisation. However, I suspect prices will not decrease, especially in the blue chip areas e.g. Noosa (my backyard). Further investments in infrastructure in the Noosa area (i.e. Noosa Business Centre) should see people still wanting to move to this area. Finding a well priced IP, however, is becoming harder.

What a great way to network guys.

We've invested in Noosa & Minyama too. We're local to Cooroy and here in the hinterland things are on the up'n up. As is Sunrise Beach, Minyama and Mooloolaba.

Hey, why don't we all get together at Cato's on the main beach for a sip and a chat.

Anyone interested in investing on the coast try www.property.com.au and plug in 4567 or Sunrise Beach etc in the property search. Also www.e-noosa.com.au www.hinternoosa.com.au

Sunshine Coast

Hi guys,
Just reading some of the replies to Gun's thread, fantastic. This is property investment forum at it's finest. I think I can hopefully add something to this subject. I bought a 1980's 2 bedroom brick unit in a block of six at Kings Beach at Coloundra exactly one year ago. Has an 82 year old tenant in it, views of the water, 105 square meters. I thought that the other Sunshine Coast suburbs on the water had gone ahead but Caloundra was still basically waiting its turn. Paid 118k for it and just last week got offered 200k. Haven't spent a cent on it yet. Also, in July last year, bought a 3 bedroom low set brick house, 2 car accomodation, 9 years old in the Sunshine Coast suburb of Nambour. It was a divorced couple who just didn't want anything to do with each other anymore(my gain). Paid $129k, re-valued last week at 190k. IMHO, nambour hasn't peaked as yet, spoke to my tenant recently and, with rumour of the sugar industry closing down in Nambour, local opinion is that it will actually benifit the town because people wont overlook it as being a second class suburb to the coastal parts:ie Maroochydore, Mooloolaba. They have also started building a big 25 million dollar shopping centre there so will attract more. When I started looking at buying another one in Nambour last month, couldn't find anything in brick for under 195k.
Jimbo

Good idea MikeT re getting together for a networking opportunity. Catos sound pretty good if we can get a few people. I know there is an investment group based in Maroochydore but it would not be as convenient as a Noosa group. Is anyone else living or having an interest in the Noosa area interested?

Ok everyone,
I'm OS at present (back on the coast 30th May) but how 'bout we do get this together.

Send me a private message re your contact details and I can organise a time/date.

catchya

It's great you guys are organising a get together!

When you get the details finalised..........make sure you put a post up in Meeting Point, just in case some sunshine coast investors have missed this thread :)

Let us know how your meeting goes!

Ruby :)

Originally posted by Turtle
Dear XBenX,

Any specific date in mind for your next visit?

I only travel south for the winter... so its likely to be a while... sometime after the snow melts :)

Hey people,

we have just moved to the sunshine coast, we live in Coolum, please let me know if there is a get [email protected]'s sounds great...

I also have the cashflow games if anyone wants to play...

Also can anyone recommend a builder in the area - flat block...and if anyone has any tips to avoid in building as we are considering this at the moment.
Cheers Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Miket will organise a mutually agreeable date for a meeting at Catos when he gets back on the 30th.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Turtle

Isn't the weather just great here in Noosa?

So what day shall we all get together? A weekday or a weekend. Spread the word folks and let's get together down Gympie Terrace or Main Beach for a chat.

Get back to me with your choice. Look forward to meeting you all..

Mike

as posted in meeting point..please see below:

ok guys how about this?

Catos Hasting st Noosa 2 pm Saturday 7th June?

Oh well it's an idea we can start the suggestion and work on it from there...

Mitch

Back