Still motivated in your day job?

Kim5 yours is only one side of the story.
I've never had a bad employee who did'nt think he/she was good if not better than the others.
And any employee who demands anything, is not worth having imo.
And there's a difference between time at work and being able to do work.
Seniority should never be a reason to promote imo.
Any employer or manager worth their salt does'nt wait for "applications", they fill the positions.
You sound anything but positive towards your job, what do you expect in return.
Maybe you should broaden your vision of the workplace.
You could even start your own business.

You dont know the whole story!

Havent got time now to write it, cos im on my lunch break, mayber later.

:)

Day job(s).

Yes Love everything that I do.

Everything I do leads me down a path to Financial Freedom and independence where I am also able to see my children and be there when they need me.

I get up at 5.10...head off to the gym to get paid to exercise and motivate people.

Get home 7am to get kids off to school.

Sometimes head off again to coach boxing - have some fun and get paid for it again.

OR

Start working with my client on scenarios and figures and ways to move forward on a lifetime plan.

This usually brings me to the odd SS post trying to help newbies get their first IP or "oldies" move forward with their 2nd...third...or just having a good ole yarn as in this thread.

Before I know it, kids are home from school - dinner is done and I'm out the door to another appointment at 7pm.

I do this 7 days a week, although I don't teach or make apts on Tuesday or Fri nights. I have the best of all things. Exercise, fun, figures and I'm my own boss. I am fortunate.

I'm also a Draftsman. I can work my own hours with husband's business.:p
Variety is the spice of life.:)

Regards JO

You dont know the whole story!

Havent got time now to write it, cos im on my lunch break, mayber later.

Hi Kim,

I've read about your disatisfaction with your job in another thread.:eek:

You need to fix this or it will drag you down.

Regards JO

thanks for the ideas guys.
I have to be sensitive because this is a public site.
But basically in a nut shell, some of the staff and their families depend on the business to be able to stay in australia.
Thats why its not so simple as allocating a % of the profit.

At the moment, trying to stay motivated in my day job is hard. I am on apprentice wages, which of course adds to the pain, but it's mostly the fact that I'm not doing the work I would love to be doing in Plumbing. Only 2 years to go though and I will be a Tradesman which helps to keep me going, in which then I can afford to change companies.

It's hard when you start to develop this desire to invest in properties and the wage you are on restricts you quite a bit. That itself helps to reduce your motivation to all time lows! Working weekends to boost that cashflow means less time to learn about property and research areas - although I do have today off and we will be having a looking around some places!

So how do you keep the motivation going? We want to start our investment journey next year, but at the moment it just seems out of reach.

:eek:

It's hard when you start to develop this desire to invest in properties and the wage you are on restricts you quite a bit. That itself helps to reduce your motivation to all time lows! Working weekends to boost that cashflow means less time to learn about property and research areas - although I do have today off and we will be having a looking around some places!

So how do you keep the motivation going? We want to start our investment journey next year, but at the moment it just seems out of reach.

:eek:

Well I had to wait 13 months to buy my 1st ip after having bought my ppor and it seemed and felt like an eternity. Just remember the time goes really fast. It will be here before you know it ;)

Here's how I kept myself motivated.

1. Continued to read motivating/inspirational topics here on ss (especially threads posted by lower income earners who have become successful pi's. I would actually go hunting for people who started off the same way as me (on a lower than average income/or average income) and check out their stats haha.

2. Kept reading pi

3. Kept to a strict budget. I was writing all my expenses down in a book from a cup of coffee to a new hot water system I had to buy. This made me accountable and kept me on track. Was focussed.

3. Allocated 30% of my pay a fortnight into my offset account to remain untouched

4. I also concentrated on something else. losing weight. This was handy because for a good few months there it gave me another obsession/hobby to work on so that all my time and energies wern't on the one thing (investing) Try to develop some other interests to keep balanced and sane.

5. Set yourself mini goals. Such as Saving $5 K after a certain amount of time. It was so exciting for me to see my savings going up and when I hit the $30 K mark I have never felt so proud of myself and on such a high.

I see others here on ss talking about buying 3 properties in the one year. I remind myself of my goals and that I'll be ready in 2012 for another one. 2012 will be an amazing accomplishment for me when I do it. Then when I have 4 or 5 I am sure even if I'm on the same average salary I'll be able to buy more frequently like some others on here. But I'm just not in the position yet to do so. Everyone is different and you have to do things at your own pace.

Keep up the good work, dont get too despondent, :) hey and before you know it you will be able to afford to buy. Every year comes around quicker and quicker, just remember that.

It will all be worth the wait. Believe me!! :D I reckon if I had of bought my 1st ip shortly after my ppor i wouldn't have appreciated it so much because I wouldn't have had to fight and work hard to get it. This is why this 1st ip has meant so much to me.

Edited to say: Most people (unless your a high income earner) who pi have been in a similar position. It is very slow at first. The first couple are the hardest because you dont have as much equity (in your property and as savings) You need to have a lot of patience and perseverance when you buy your first couple. Then when you have more than a few ip's the equity growth really starts to compound each year and your able to add more quickly to your portfolio. So for me personally I will have to show some true patience over the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Some interesting points you have there, I think I need to follow a few to get me on track and keep myself sane! At the moment I put away 10% of my weekly wage, but pay 50% into a loan of around 30k which we are chewing away at (Down from 40k in just over 7 months). Hoping to have it fully paid out by the end of next year!

We have also nearly saved 10k at the same time which is located in our offset account at the moment, but it is saved for renovations. We are hoping it will unlock some equity in our property so we can use it for a deposit.

Next year I will start some educating myself more on the financial side of things. I think it's important to invest in your own knowledge and this is what I plan to do. Even if I'm not going to be a financial planner, I am doing the diploma so I can take more control of whats going on with our money. If I can finish that this year, I might look at another course next year :)

It's funny what you say in point 1, it's exactly what I have been trying to do. I read alot of inspirational stories and just absolutely love it when they are on a similar wage. It just makes everything alot more realistic, it gives you confidence in the future really. It's funny how people say "you can't afford to invest yet" and so on, if only they knew what some people were up to!

"The patient and diligent investor who applies a well-defined and systematic approach over time will be able to retire with more than enough to enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle." - Steve Berges.

Well I had to wait 13 months to buy my 1st ip after having bought my ppor and it seemed and felt like an eternity. Just remember the time goes really fast. It will be here before you know it ;)

Here's how I kept myself motivated.

1. Continued to read motivating/inspirational topics here on ss (especially threads posted by lower income earners who have become successful pi's. I would actually go hunting for people who started off the same way as me (on a lower than average income/or average income) and check out their stats haha.

2. Kept reading pi

3. Kept to a strict budget. I was writing all my expenses down in a book from a cup of coffee to a new hot water system I had to buy. This made me accountable and kept me on track. Was focussed.

3. Allocated 30% of my pay a fortnight into my offset account to remain untouched

4. I also concentrated on something else. losing weight. This was handy because for a good few months there it gave me another obsession/hobby to work on so that all my time and energies wern't on the one thing (investing) Try to develop some other interests to keep balanced and sane.

5. Set yourself mini goals. Such as Saving $5 K after a certain amount of time. It was so exciting for me to see my savings going up and when I hit the $30 K mark I have never felt so proud of myself and on such a high.

I see others here on ss talking about buying 3 properties in the one year. I remind myself of my goals and that I'll be ready in 2012 for another one. 2012 will be an amazing accomplishment for me when I do it. Then when I have 4 or 5 I am sure even if I'm on the same average salary I'll be able to buy more frequently like some others on here. But I'm just not in the position yet to do so. Everyone is different and you have to do things at your own pace.

Keep up the good work, dont get too despondent, :) hey and before you know it you will be able to afford to buy. Every year comes around quicker and quicker, just remember that.

It will all be worth the wait. Believe me!! :D I reckon if I had of bought my 1st ip shortly after my ppor i wouldn't have appreciated it so much because I wouldn't have had to fight and work hard to get it. This is why this 1st ip has meant so much to me.

Edited to say: Most people (unless your a high income earner) who pi have been in a similar position. It is very slow at first. The first couple are the hardest because you dont have as much equity (in your property and as savings) You need to have a lot of patience and perseverance when you buy your first couple. Then when you have more than a few ip's the equity growth really starts to compound each year and your able to add more quickly to your portfolio. So for me personally I will have to show some true patience over the next 5 years.

Hi Kim,

Almost doing the same things as you are.

PPOR in 2007, IP1 in 2009. IP2 in 2013.

Except Goal Number 5 was started a family with the Mrs in 2009. Succeeded with a 'newborn baby' in Nov 09. :D

Cheers
Daniel Lee

It's funny what you say in point 1, it's exactly what I have been trying to do. I read alot of inspirational stories and just absolutely love it when they are on a similar wage. It just makes everything alot more realistic, it gives you confidence in the future really. It's funny how people say "you can't afford to invest yet" and so on, if only they knew what some people were up to!

All sounds very positive :)

but just 1 thing

Get rid of the question mark in your sig.

2010!!

2010 ? - hmmm will i be able to buy 1st ip, maybe, maybe not

or

2010!! - I will buy my first ip in 2010
or if not 100% sure on 2010

then

2011 - I will buy my first ip in 2011!!

This will sink into your subconsious. Will give you confidence. Believe in yourself that you can do it! Set clear and realistic goals. *the power of positive thinking*

:p

My sigs have changed a bit over the past year. After i bought my ppor in Sep 2008, my sig goal was to buy my 1st ip in 2011 and I managed to buy earlier than I had planned in 2009 :D So if you had 2011 in your sig anything sooner than that would be just a bonus.

Hi Kim,

Almost doing the same things as you are.

PPOR in 2007, IP1 in 2009. IP2 in 2013.

Except Goal Number 5 was started a family with the Mrs in 2009. Succeeded with a 'newborn baby' in Nov 09. :D

Cheers
Daniel Lee

g'day, oh cool congratulations. :)

My 1st nephew will be born very soon I'm so excited. I have 2 nieces.

Wow you've done well to buy 2 properties in two years well done

I should get one of those sigs.

But it would read something like "fully owned PPoR, IPs/other assets returning $20KPA after expenses within 5 years" or something.

Next year we'll have $120k debt and only $14k income *before* expenses so that's a fair way off yet, but we're only 18 months in.

Only 18 months in and you are achieving pretty decent results so far. With our first property, we have a $290k debt and $18,200 income before expenses. Although, we didn't buy our first property thinking we would get into the property game...!

Eventually, I would like to live off rental income. That would be nice :)

While I enjoy my day job, I am merely looking at as my fuel for my investments and bills. I cant see myself ever being able to retire comfortably because of my day job.

I could not do without it at the monent but as far as climbing the corporate ladder... I have zero interest.

While I enjoy my day job, I am merely looking at as my fuel for my investments and bills. I cant see myself ever being able to retire comfortably because of my day job.

I could not do without it at the monent but as far as climbing the corporate ladder... I have zero interest.

Words from someone who has made the massive mindset change required to escape.

Well done; you're in for a scary, exhilarating ride from here on in (or is that out?).

At my place of employment we are "work share". Long story short, when work slows down our employers need to send someone home. The employee is paid a reduced wage thru and insurance we all pay here.
The employees with the most seniority are asked first if they want to go home, until no one says yes, then the most junior must be sent home.
This week we had such a day. Our supervisor bypassed me (I'm second on the list to be asked ) and a more junior happily went home.
As soon as I found out, I marched into the office, stated I was very upset, and I did not want that to happen again. (nicely of course).
I told him I always wanted to go home, I had a life outside of there, and I had more important things to do. Supervisor had a nervous little laugh, and stated it was an accident, and I could leave with pay if I wanted to.
So I did.

He doesn't like me to leave, as I do a certain job, that no one else on my shift does. That is not my problem. He knows I'm planning my escape in about 5 months, and I don't really need this job. It's just that I'm not going to quit until I decide. I no longer live off my wage, so it is of very little consequence how much I make a week.

Words from someone who has made the massive mindset change required to escape.

Well done; you're in for a scary, exhilarating ride from here on in (or is that out?).

I simply realised that if I do what I do now and not alter it for the next 35 or so years till my 'official' retirement then all I will have is my 1 paid off PPOR where I must live (same boring suburb), 100-150 in my super and thats about it.

Not very exciting...

Don't get me started ...
I treat the day job as a cash flow strategy to keep the banks happy. Banks LOVE payslips. They keep spitting out $$$$ while I have a payslip to show them.
I'm very keen to focus on property full time, but need to build up other income streams first. These are underway, but will take time to totally replace the job income.

Dead right.

On a similar theme, but a slightly different tack; I have one of my employees at the workshop constantly telling me of ways to "put money in your pocket" that the tax man won't see.

Now, this is coming from a 50 year old who still rents, and has been a mechanic for about 30 years. Nice guy, and the intentions are good - he is trying to make sure I make good "profits".

But, he doesn't know what my goals and objectives are away from the tyres and spanners.

This is what goes on in my head; I put every single dollar we take through the cash register.

Why?

Because, when it comes time to go to the Bank for more money to buy another IP, or another business - both of which are my intentions in the future - they want to see good financial records and ability to service even more debt. :D

Not gunna get that if they see a business showing a nett profit of only a few thou per year or worse.

To "hide" various incomes from the ATO for most people is a smart thing in their minds, but it is small thinking.

Back