Word of the day

... A word many of my colleagues would like to use (definition #1)

defenestration: n.
[mythically from a traditional Bohemian assassination method, via SF fandom]

1. Proper karmic retribution for an incorrigible punster. “Oh, ghod, that was awful!” “Quick! Defenestrate him!”

2. The act of completely removing Micro$oft Windows from a PC in favor of a better OS (typically Linux).

3. The act of discarding something under the assumption that it will improve matters. “I don't have any disk space left.” “Well, why don't you defenestrate that 100 megs worth of old core dumps?”

4. Under a GUI, the act of dragging something out of a window (onto the screen). “Next, defenestrate the MugWump icon.”

5. [obs.] The act of exiting a window system in order to get better response time from a full-screen program. This comes from the dictionary meaning of defenestrate, which is to throw something out a window.

(from brainencyclopedia and other sources)

Mr W
From the explanation given I assume this to be an IT word and thus I need never use it. But it's the thought that counts :D

Ecogirl

Ecogirl said:
Mr W
From the explanation given I assume this to be an IT word and thus I need never use it. But it's the thought that counts :D

Ecogirl
Definition 1 has got quite widespread usage (especially from those in close proximity to myself)

Other definitions are just bonuses for propellorheads.

I like transubstantiation. However if that is too long then my favourite short word (particularly for scrabble purposes) is pyx.

qaz said:
My favourite word is antidisestablishmentarianism.

Ahh yes, qaz, but can you actually describe what it means without checking dictionary.com (or any other resource !). :D

Lissy said:
And I always thought that defenestration meant to throw something out the window.
Yep. Hence the other meanings applied here. "What a bad pun. Throw him out of the window"- or the second meaning "Throw the Windows out of the computer".

There were several defensetrations of Prague in its history, where people were assassinated by throwing them out the window- http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Defenestrations-of-Prague . includeing the one
. At Prague Castle on May 23, 1618, a number of them took two Imperial governors and a scribe and threw them out of the castle windows; they landed in some manure, and none of them were severely injured.

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Anti - against
Dis - against
Establishment - self explainitory
Tarianism - the act of

So im guessing, its the act of being against the people who are against the establishment. But thats just a guess.

Not quite ... disestablishment refers to the separation of church and state - specifically the Chuch of England (although commonly used these days in the more generic form).

So antidisestablishmentarianism refers to the point of view of those people who disagree that there should be a clear separation between church and state.

Fenestrae are small apertures in the body, many of which are found in the kidneys, so when you mentioned defenestration I immediately went there... and kept pondering... and thank goodness this is only a word in the IT world as in the anatomical arena it could get quite scary!! :eek:

Cheers,

Ali G

Ali G said:
Fenestrae are small apertures in the body, many of which are found in the kidneys, so when you mentioned defenestration I immediately went there... and kept pondering... and thank goodness this is only a word in the IT world as in the anatomical arena it could get quite scary!! :eek:
Two thoughts here.

1. Defenestration is not only an IT word- look at meaning #1 in the original post, and a definition further down the thread.

2. Fenestrae is not only a non-IT word- see Fenestrae® Faxination® Server for Microsoft® Exchange

The most unhelpful definition I found for "fenestrae" was "(pl. ) of Fenestra" (in BrainyDictionary)

qaz said:
Antidisestablishmentarianism

Anti - against
Dis - against
Establishment - self explainitory
Tarianism - the act of
I'd aslways thought that this was the longest word in English (apart from Disney invented ones)- but I was wrong. I may have to try Floccinaucinihilipilification, or even pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Just don't ask me to try to pronounce them.

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/breakfast/stories/s736454.htm
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/l/longestword.html

I think 'fenestella' was used in architecture to refer to small apertures/windows to hold small objects. Possibly relics or objects d'art.

.......later found out that the term could refer to small oval and round windows/holes that let in light

Last edited:
Back