Do you own a business?

Do you own a business beyond property investing?

• Yes I own and work full-time in a business I own

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Yes I own at least one business, but don't work full-time in any of them

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • I invest in the businesses of others & have an active advisory/board role

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I invest in the businesses of others but don't have any kind of role

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I don't own or invest in any businesses, except with the stock market

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I work in a job & do some investing

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • I'm retired & not involved with any businesses

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi guys,

This poll is to get a feeling for the other activities investors in this forum may be involved with ATM, considering the economic environment & all the recent talk about franchises & businesses.

Yes I know it's possible to fit into more than one category (I do myself) but tick the one that best fits you! :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

For now, I've had to tick the "I work at a job..." catergory, but, I do have a clear-cut plan of when, where, and under what circumstances I will create my own business, and will be working ON the business before it even opens :)

And of course, from there, a (not-quite-so-) clear plan of how to ease myself out of working IN the business, and letting it run itself. Being in this industry though, that could take awhile - which isn't necassarily a bad thing, when I like what I do!

Still got several years before it can happen though, so plenty of time yet to get things organised...

James.

I ticked "Yes I own and work full-time in a business I own" - best postive cashflow investment that I have (even after taking our wages, super, etc).

see_change said:
At times I think the correct question should be , Does a business own you ? :eek: :D

See change
This problem is overstated. This is more true for franchisees than guys doing their own thing. Last friday I was having a beer (before 5) with a guy who plays golf six days a week. Another mate had a partner so each only worked every second week. If you're good at what you do and confident enough that you don't need a franchisor holding your hand, life can be good. OK, I know I worked hard when owning a servo years ago but that's a franchise.

I consider myself semi-retired now, but still with a full-time biz.

T

Hiya's,

Nice responses Kieran and Thommo, what kind of business are you guys predominantly involved with thesedays?

see_change said:
At times I think the correct question should be , Does a business own you ? :eek: :D

See change

Some poeple love the idea of being owned by a business and all the benefits that come with it. And i'd say most PAYG earners would love to be owned by a business. If you know what you are doing and for people who suit it, the business life is the only life. That includes me:)

Having a business own the operators is situation that I've seen played out a number of times in real life.

Frankly if you're spending all your time working on your business, not taking any money out & planning towards your big leap forward when you can take more time off I'd suggest it was time to step back & decide if that particular business was able to deliver on your goals.

I've seen people who own a business work for twenty years & walk away with nothing, I've seen others structure their business after only a couple of years in such a way that they can work as much or as little as they choose & the business is able to keep delivering them the returns they wish.

Which way you structure the business is YOUR choice. If the business simply can't deliver the returns you want, sell it or close it down and move forward to find one that can.

Don't delude yourself into believing that you love your business. I can guarantee that it doesn't love you back!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

G'day

Since reading The E Myth all those years ago I must admit my interpretation of 'Business' has changed.

Now, I see all those 'self-employed' people who think they 'own' a business but in reality the great majority of people don't get paid unless they themselves do the work.

And the 'business' has no residual value, it can't be sold and doesn't have enough margin to employ and pay someone else.

So I would describe my self as 'self-employed' perhaps, but 'engaged' is a more appropriate description than 'employed', as no one actually employs me at all! The lenders don't, the customers don't, broking is one queer fish!

Rolf made the comment about becoming unemployable, well I became unemployable the day I bought my first business on August, 1989.

But with reference to the orginal premise of seeking a link between forum investors and other activities, perhaps people with an entrepenural nature do tend to become more involved in property investing just simply because we probably have less of a 'fall back' position than if employed with annual leave, sick leave, superannuation etc, but conversely, without that regular income it makes it harder to get finance for at least the first few deals.

And then perhaps people seeking like minded people gravitate towards this and other forums or clubs as investing, for all the hype and hyperbole, is still not something that is widely and knowledgeably discussed or even understood.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Kristine

dtraeger2k said:
Nice responses Kieran and Thommo, what kind of business are you guys predominantly involved with thesedays?

Sell software with training and consulting services, mainly to Government Departments and large corporates. I enjoy the training and consulting bits. Currently employ six people (including myself and my partner) but we are two staff short so things are a bit hectic at the moment - that is, eight staff would be the ideal number. In the past, we have been up to 10 staff but that included some "dead wood". ;) ;)

Kristine.. said:
Rolf made the comment about becoming unemployable, well I became unemployable the day I bought my first business on August, 1989.

I feel that I have become unemployable through owning a business. With all decisions, the buck ultimatley stops with me - hard to get that in any other situation where you are not the owner.

KieranK

The votes here are interesting. This morning "businessmen" were an overwhelming majority which prompted the question "Is property just for the well off?"

Some wage earners have since joined in and changed the stats but it still looks as if "the single mum" has not done as well as TV would have us believe.

T

I run my own business.

There should have been a category for the person who owns one business and doesn't have to work in it full time. I have men working for me and a bookeeper as well. I love investing and a successful business has made that easier.

Househunter

Steve Navra said:
Investment properties, shares . . . this is the real business.

Acey, did you mean to ask what we do for our day jobs?

Regards,

Steve
Steve,

You answered your question in your post :)

A job is different to a business (at least IMHO)

And an investment is different again....

Some people have investments, some people operate an investment business. The mindset is quite different.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey

I've been looking for a business to buy for the last few months, hit that procastination brick wall. It's easier to keep looking that do something. Will have to push the wife and get her to agree to the leap of faith into the business owner world.

I would be interested to know what types of business's the forumites have. Most business's for sale in the paper seem to be only just hanging in there, not making much profit at all. But I guess that is because you wouldn't sell it if it was good enough to be able to put a manager in and have it look after its self. So on that note I'm looking for a business that I can start and grow so we can employ a manager and then look at a different business sometime in the future.

cheers
quoll

Just noticed the poll is now closed?

Hrmm its probably because the thread is a month old (someone hasnt been reading somersoft enough!)

Back