How much does your portfolio cost ?

Question 1:
How much does your portfolio cost before and after tax ?

For example, if your portfolio is negative geared it may cost you $20k before tax and $12k after tax. If it is positively geared, it may put $20k per year in your pocket before tax and $15k after tax.

Question 2:
How much are you willing to spend on a portfolio as a percentage of your take home wage; 10%, 20% more ?

I don't own any residential investment property. I have leveraged into unit trusts (Aussie shares and commerical property trusts). I am 55% leveraged.

My quarterly distribution paid for an entire year's prepaying of interest. I am very happy :)

WillG said:
Question 1:
How much does your portfolio cost before and after tax ?

For example, if your portfolio is negative geared it may cost you $20k before tax and $12k after tax. If it is positively geared, it may put $20k per year in your pocket before tax and $15k after tax.

Question 2:
How much are you willing to spend on a portfolio as a percentage of your take home wage; 10%, 20% more ?

Q1. Our total portfolio cost is about 55% of our combined household GROSS pay (i.e. a little bit over one person's before tax salary). Both of us are in the top tax bracket, but I believe we will be under 10% tax as a result of this.

Q2. As much as we can afford :) - which is everything bar the basic living expenses. This equates to investing about 70% of take home pay. All tax returns are also invested.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Last edited:
It's interesting to look at the figures.

1. Over 15 years our property portfolio has cost us an average of

$529.68 a month before tax
$45.67 a month after tax

9 years have been positive after tax
6 years have been negative after tax

3 years have been positive before tax

2. It's hard to work out a percentage of take home pay invested but includes all that is left after paying basic requirements and ensuring a reasonable lifestyle but nothing flash.

Sleeper

This assumes your not "structually gearing" by using a cashflow vehicle (CPTs, covered calls, income funds (such as Navra's), etc to fund the negative cashflow on growth investments.

Many may disagree, but I feel that relying on a job to fund a negatively geard investment portfolio can often be riskier than "structually gearing" through cashflow investments.

qaz said:
This assumes your not "structually gearing" by using a cashflow vehicle (CPTs, covered calls, income funds (such as Navra's), etc to fund the negative cashflow on growth investments.

Many may disagree, but I feel that relying on a job to fund a negatively geard investment portfolio can often be riskier than "structually gearing" through cashflow investments.

Interesting point of view, qaz ... Something for me to ponder.

Would you use your job, just to fund your portfolio capital-wise? This capital then goes into renovations, deposits, shares, or property trusts?

Thanks. :)

qaz,

Your points are intreesting but lack substance. Can you give us some examples of the risks of job v's "Structually Geared" cashflow vehicles.

Some property investors like to buy a combination of positive and negative geared IP's so their portfolio is neutrally geared thus effectively using IP's as "Structually geared" cashflow vehicles. IP's are generally not good cashflow vehicles (in the short term) due to their large entry costs, high expenses and low yields.

I am not sure of the returns from alternative 'Structually geared' vehicles (perhaps you can enlighten me qaz) but as long as they are making more than the current interest rate (with minimum risk) then they are worth while. This will only work if you have minimum bad(non deductable) debt.

Cheers

WillG said:
I am not sure of the returns from alternative 'Structually geared' vehicles (perhaps you can enlighten me qaz) but as long as they are making more than the current interest rate (with minimum risk) then they are worth while. This will only work if you have minimum bad(non deductable) debt.

Have a look at Navra's fund. It's never failed to deliver under a 10% per annum cash return.

By putting the same ammount in $ terms into both growth property and the fund and gearing 80% and 50% respectively, you will generally allways acheive at the very least a neutral cashflow across your investment portfolio and a relatively low 65% LVR while at the same time getting good growth from your property.

However, if risk minimisation is what you want, look at a cashbond. Basically what you do is borrow against your asset (property) and loan it to an insurance company for 5 years. They will pay back the capital plus (depending on the interest rate at the time) 5% in interest over a period of 5 years. Basically your loosing (about 2-3%) of your capital over the 5 years doing this assuming you directly pay all the repayments back into the loan, but even if your property only grows at 2-3% over the course of that 5 year period, then you end up ahead.

That cashbond is more sucure of an income than just about any form of employment.

PS. I'm not big on cashflow property either, though there are those that swear by it.

Last edited:
qaz said:

I will add info to my previous post with this view in mind:

Q1. Our total GROSS portfolio cost is about 55% of our combined household GROSS pay (i.e. a little bit over one person's before tax salary). However, the total returns of our investments exceed the costs by a small factor. Therefore there is a small net gain. Various investment products are chosen to minimise the taxable amount.

Q2. As much as we can afford - which is everything bar the basic living expenses. This equates to investing about 70% of take home pay. All tax returns are also invested. Going by the reply to Q1, this means (hopefully!) our invested capital roughly increases by this amount - I say roughly, as the equation becomes very mind boggling when the money goes to prepay interest on 100% loans etc....

Cheers,

The Y-man

qaz said:
Have a look at Navra's fund. It's never failed to deliver under a 10% per annum cash return.

However, if risk minimisation is what you want, look at a cashbond. Basically what you do is borrow against your asset (property) and loan it to an insurance company for 5 years. They will pay back the capital plus (depending on the interest rate at the time) 5% in interest over a period of 5 years. Basically your loosing (about 2-3%) of your capital over the 5 years doing this assuming you directly pay all the repayments back into the loan, but even if your property only grows at 2-3% over the course of that 5 year period, then you end up ahead.

That cashbond is more sucure of an income than just about any form of employment.

PS. I'm not big on cashflow property either, though there are those that swear by it.

Qaz , I was tempted to ignore this post because I know you are well meaning in what your saying , however ..... some things need to be kept in context.

I have no problems with Steve's fund ( and intend to invest in it once we've finished our current development ) , however to say it has never failed to produce 10 % , while actually true , is in reality a misrepresentation of the fact. An uninformed observer could extrapolate from your statement that Steve's fund has a long track record of producing such results. The reality is that his fund hasn't passed it's second birthday.

OK next topic , Cashbonds . This again a relatively new concept and again to promote it ( sorry to do this ) with no experience yourself , and with no one on the forum ( to the best of my knowledge ) having experience with them outside of a period of rapid growth in the underlying asssets is dangerous.

Re Cash flow positive properties. I know many people , including myself , who have made very nice profits from cash flow positive properties bought at the right time in the cycle . ( I also know many who have done well with negatively geared property ). Could you tell us why your not a big fan of cash flow positive properties ?

See Change

see_change said:
I have no problems with Steve's fund ( and intend to invest in it once we've finished our current development ) , however to say it has never failed to produce 10 % , while actually true , is in reality a misrepresentation of the fact. An uninformed observer could extrapolate from your statement that Steve's fund has a long track record of producing such results. The reality is that his fund hasn't passed it's second birthday.

Ok granted. However his trading system (in it's current form) has existed longer than that.

see_change said:
OK next topic , Cashbonds . This again a relatively new concept and again to promote it ( sorry to do this ) with no experience yourself , and with no one on the forum ( to the best of my knowledge ) having experience with them outside of a period of rapid growth in the underlying asssets is dangerous.

Investing in any asset that requires out of pocket expense in a period of no or negative growth is dangerous. The effective cost of a cashbond (assuming you put the returns back into the loan) is relatively very small over a period of time when compared to that of what a reasonably well selected property should grow over that period of time. Yes if at the end of those 5 years there was no or negative growth then your further behind, but if you fund that same property from wages your practically just as behind anyway and operating at a higher risk level.

see_change said:
Re Cash flow positive properties. I know many people , including myself , who have made very nice profits from cash flow positive properties bought at the right time in the cycle . ( I also know many who have done well with negatively geared property ). Could you tell us why your not a big fan of cash flow positive properties ?

If you buy in the right time of the cycle you should make money on basically any form of property. My personal preference is towards well located, capital growth property because I feel in the long term that is will outperform the less expensive cashflow stuff. Perhaps some (though im sure you haven't) forget that generally rents actually increase faster in types of properties over the long term. So while yields may be poor on purchase, they improve faster over time.

qaz said:
Investing in any asset that requires out of pocket expense in a period of no or negative growth is dangerous. The effective cost of a cashbond (assuming you put the returns back into the loan) is relatively very small over a period of time when compared to that of what a reasonably well selected property should grow over that period of time. Yes if at the end of those 5 years there was no or negative growth then your further behind, but if you fund that same property from wages your practically just as behind anyway and operating at a higher risk level.

Why ?

If your funding out of wage instead of equity , you will have less debt at the end of the period .

Your assuming that well selected properties will always grow... That is a big assumption and IMHO utter crap :)

qaz said:
If you buy in the right time of the cycle you should make money on basically any form of property. My personal preference is towards well located, capital growth property because I feel in the long term that is will outperform the less expensive cashflow stuff. Perhaps some (though im sure you haven't) forget that generally rents actually increase faster in types of properties over the long term. So while yields may be poor on purchase, they improve faster over time.

I'm intersted in what experience you base your preference. I remember when I joined this forum about four years ago my preference was for well located , capital growth property. However after my experince since then , I'll take a crappy house in a crappy area with good cash flow , bought at the right time, any day . ( that time isn't now )

I wasn't aware that increase in rents in well located properties ( I'm assuming that's what you're referring to ) actually out perform the increase in cash flow positive properties. To my way of thinking that actually isn't logical . If they consistently out performed lesser properties , we'd reach a point where they would outperform in terms of rental yield, and I can't imagine that happening.

See Change

Reactions: qaz
see_change said:
Why ?

If your funding out of wage instead of equity , you will have less debt at the end of the period .

Assuming your employment is 100% stable over that period. Which therein lies the risk.

see_change said:
I'm intersted in what experience you base your preference. I remember when I joined this forum about four years ago my preference was for well located , capital growth property. However after my experince since then , I'll take a crappy house in a crappy area with good cash flow , bought at the right time, any day . ( that time isn't now )

The big one there was "bought at the right time". I'd take a well located capitcal growth property in a good area, with a crappy cashflow also bought at the right time over a crappy house in a crappy area bought at the right time.

If you buy at the right time, you will make money in anything.

see_change said:
I wasn't aware that increase in rents in well located properties ( I'm assuming that's what you're referring to ) actually out perform the increase in cash flow positive properties. To my way of thinking that actually isn't logical . If they consistently out performed lesser properties , we'd reach a point where they would outperform in terms of rental yield, and I can't imagine that happening.

It's common sense really, houses on quarter acre blocks in well located areas for rent have a scarcity factor generally higher than houses on quarter acre blocks in regional areas. Therefore, rents in the well located areas in % terms will in general increase faster than those of regional areas. Yields won't increase because the prices are increasing faster than the rents (over the long term).

qaz,

you make three points .....

imho they are..

wrong

wrong
and
wrong

statements such as in your last post are hard to take seriously from someone who has yet to invest in a property .....

in fact (sorry) i would call them inane

regards

rossv

qaz said:
The big one there was "bought at the right time". I'd take a well located capitcal growth property in a good area, with a crappy cashflow also bought at the right time over a crappy house in a crappy area bought at the right time.

Qaz.

Ok l'll only worry about this one because it's one that I think is interesting.
Also because I've never read this in a book , and have never heard it from any one else. It's my own thinking.

I think there is more potential to make money from crappy houses bought at the right time than good house bought at the right time.

Reasons being ... ( all this is a generalisation , but IHMO valid )

Crappy houses tend to be in cheaper areas. Because they usually represent a cheaper option , they're often the sort of property that people buy when they start out investing or buying a first home.

As as investment property they often are bought by people who don't know what they're doing when they're investing , and I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that many people who buy those sort of properties are less likely to make good investing decisions , are more prone to emotional decisions or pying more than logic would dictate . Thus they are more likely to pay over the top prices when the booms occur. Also because of this , when they see the property they've bought start going down , they get disillusioned so they are more likely to make a dud decision when they finally unload the property after a number of years of poor returns.

As far as timing goes , crappy areas tend to move later in the cycle , so it's easier to get the timing right. You wait untill the better areas start moving and then buy. As a result you can maximise you return over a shorter period of time.

Now the home buyers. ( again generalisation only , so apologies to some forumites ). Many people who buy homes in these areas , buy there because that's all they can afford. They often have limited financial resources ( having said that I know millionaires who live in Luxford Rd , Mt Druitt ) and arn't very good at managing money. They frequently make poor decisions and forced sales / mortgage sales are quite common. When the market is flat for a while , it's not uncommon to see bargains.... real bargains.

In addition because these areas have a higher proportion of investors , they don't have the number of home owners who tend to stabilise prices in nicer areas. This also tends to accentuate the difference between the bottom of the market and the top of the market.

As an example at the peak of the last boom ( around 89 ) , prices in Mt Druitt were above 100 K . Going back 4-5 years ago , just before the market started moving this time, and AFTER the centre of Sydney had started moving, some houses were selling in the 50-60 K range. Those houses , now sell for 200 +. Given that these houses were well and truly cash flow positive, servicability would not be a significant issue , so someone with limited resources would easily be able to get in to the property market and some one with a reasonable amount of equity would be able to buy numerous such properties, and make significantly more money than from buying a nice , above median property that fits rental reality. Houses that fit rental reality , are above median price in good areas may well be a "safe " long term investment , but I think there are other areas where you can do much better.

The person with limited resources wouldn't be able to get a look in at buying a nice house in a nice suburb , if only because they don't have enough to pay for the deposit.

See Change

Hi Qaz,

Ross and see change (50+ properties bought between them) make some great points, based on their experiences in property investment - are your arguments based on what youve learnt from your own property investing, or are they simply based on what you've heard someone else say?

All the best,

Jamie.

Last edited:
see_change said:
Qaz.

Ok l'll only worry about this one because it's one that I think is interesting.
Also because I've never read this in a book , and have never heard it from any one else. It's my own thinking.

I think there is more potential to make money from crappy houses bought at the right time than good house bought at the right time.

Reasons being ... ( all this is a generalisation , but IHMO valid )

Crappy houses tend to be in cheaper areas. Because they usually represent a cheaper option , they're often the sort of property that people buy when they start out investing or buying a first home.

As as investment property they often are bought by people who don't know what they're doing when they're investing , and I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that many people who buy those sort of properties are less likely to make good investing decisions , are more prone to emotional decisions or pying more than logic would dictate . Thus they are more likely to pay over the top prices when the booms occur. Also because of this , when they see the property they've bought start going down , they get disillusioned so they are more likely to make a dud decision when they finally unload the property after a number of years of poor returns.

As far as timing goes , crappy areas tend to move later in the cycle , so it's easier to get the timing right. You wait untill the better areas start moving and then buy. As a result you can maximise you return over a shorter period of time.

Now the home buyers. ( again generalisation only , so apologies to some forumites ). Many people who buy homes in these areas , buy there because that's all they can afford. They often have limited financial resources ( having said that I know millionaires who live in Luxford Rd , Mt Druitt ) and arn't very good at managing money. They frequently make poor decisions and forced sales / mortgage sales are quite common. When the market is flat for a while , it's not uncommon to see bargains.... real bargains.

In addition because these areas have a higher proportion of investors , they don't have the number of home owners who tend to stabilise prices in nicer areas. This also tends to accentuate the difference between the bottom of the market and the top of the market.

As an example at the peak of the last boom ( around 89 ) , prices in Mt Druitt were above 100 K . Going back 4-5 years ago , just before the market started moving this time, and AFTER the centre of Sydney had started moving, some houses were selling in the 50-60 K range. Those houses , now sell for 200 +. Given that these houses were well and truly cash flow positive, servicability would not be a significant issue , so someone with limited resources would easily be able to get in to the property market and some one with a reasonable amount of equity would be able to buy numerous such properties, and make significantly more money than from buying a nice , above median property that fits rental reality. Houses that fit rental reality , are above median price in good areas may well be a "safe " long term investment , but I think there are other areas where you can do much better.

The person with limited resources wouldn't be able to get a look in at buying a nice house in a nice suburb , if only because they don't have enough to pay for the deposit.

See Change

SC, the above are words of experience...and highlight that much of making money out of property, is merely the exploitation of ignorance. Or, more kindly, balancing the damage done by ignorance.

Now, back to the cricket.....

good post sc

I think you are right - financially (forgeting psycology etc) the absolute best thing you can do is buy the really cheap stuff at the very beggining of a boom and sell at the end, finding greener pastures for your money for the flat stage of the cycle (whether this means other r/e geographically or other assests) Percentage wise I think this will almost always be the winner in IRR measures etc.

Trouble is we have to live with our investments and most people aren't very honest with themeselves about the combo of motivations for investment (I know I am guilty of buying one of our IP's partly coz it looked like the kind of house we would want to live in) That may be the reason some people choose upmarket IP's.

The other thing is the more upmarket ones seem(my observation only) to get more consistent lower rates of cg (ie 12% for 4 yrs then 4 with 5% etc) as opposed to the cheapies (like logan and beenleigh recently) wich may have 6 yrs flat then 2 yrs 60%

if you are happy chasing these returns then I rekon when it works its unbeatable - but many investors would sleep better with something that performes consistently and just goes up gradually.

Actually knight

The best thing ( IMHO ) is to buy in very good locations at the beginning of the cycle , and then as these move, buy further out in the cycle etc, revaluing as you go and then just as they start moving you buy in the peripheral areas. Start in sydney , then move out from there and ending up in places like rockhampton etc or even adelaide .....

I don't think you need to do much chasing just follow several different areas and get to know them well. Mt Druitt , Logan and Rocky / Townsville will probably be on my list next cycle, then a couple of other areas I'm familiar with in Sydney , and some central and middle ring areas in Brisbane.

See Change

see_change said:
or even adelaide

Yeah, we are are a little slow over here in SA.... :D

my plan is that I will start buying more here, when I hear all you guys getting growth over there...but then I will use the same strategy - start close to the city and then work out as the wave moves out

Mike F

Back