Forum upgraded

No search hasn't changed yet ... the promised version is available, but I haven't enabled it yet ... I'm waiting for the site to prove stable and to iron out any bugs before I change it over - it's a pretty big change (easy to implement fortunately) and may affect the way the site runs - so I figured I'd do one step at a time.

Sim, a couple of things I have noted tonight when composing posts using ff1.5.

- When an edit window opens to create a new post, the cursor is not visible. This is confusing because I keep clicking in the window to make sure the cursor is there and not somewhere else, but it never shows until you start typing.

- When I use the mouse to highlight new text I have just typed so I can cut it, then right click, there is no option to cut, only copy. This doesn't happen if I use keyboard shortcuts to cut. This problem only happens in new post creations, not edits of older posts.

- If I select edit to edit one of my posts, am looking at the edit window, but then decide not to edit, and hit the back button, I am not taken back to the previous page, but the one before it.

Hi TFB ... yes, I get that too ... it's just the software - not much I can do about that. Some of these might be addressed in future releases.

The back button thing is an ajax behaviour I suspect. When you hit edit, you aren't actually going to a new page, it's loading the editor window in-line. Hence the back button takes you to the previous page which is the one you were on before the page where you clicked edit. You need to use the cancel button to cancel - not the back button.

This is something you're going to get more and more in web applications as ajax becomes more widespread. This is one of the reasons ajax is criticised by user-interface experts - it breaks the browser model that users know and forces them to learn new methods of interaction with the applications. But if used carefully, it can also make the user experience much richer - so it's a tradeoff.

Something I'm REALLY appreciating now, especially as somebody who tries to at least have a skim of every post, is that- once I log on, I don't HAVE to read every post in the next 20 minutes before I lose my new markers.

If I'm busy, and have just 5 minutes, I can log in, read a few posts- and then come back some time later, and have my "new" posts preserved. That's worth it's weight in gold. If I don't want the new posts, I can just mark as read.

Though one option which would be good, is to have a hybrid- something which showed you all posts since the last time you were logged on, but showing threads as read or unread. It's almost like two options (which the user could select):
.New Posts- showing all threads which had contributions since the last time you were logged on- regardless of whether you had read them or not
.Unread posts- showing any threads where there were posts which you had not read.

The new version uses "Unread posts"- which is extremely useful- but calls them "new posts". Both views have advantages. If vBulletin gave users a choice, it would be good to be able to select one choice or the other.

My biggest problem with the new version is, that when I reply to a thread, the thread, including my reply, becomes read, and no longer shows up in the New Threads. A much smaller problem is that I can select a thread to read, and not read it; in the old system, I could lose that window (user error), and still be able to find it easily.

The quick link to "Todays Posts" is the format I would like to see- the only difference being that it shows all posts since the time I last logged on- not all posts in the last 24 hours, and not all posts I have not read.

Have I been excommunicated ?

Figure that following a post from Geoff I am sure to be noticed, lol.

I am logged on doing a search and after entering search parameters I get the Windows white screen "' you are not authorised to view this page"" ... yadda, yadda...several times, using different search parameters.

Specifically, was searching for a recent post about CDF's where somebody made a comment about it being similar to giving a 3yo a box of matches and a can of petrol...

regards,

Paul

Is it just me, or whenever you try to reply to a post, if you take too long (ie. go to make a cuppa) when you return, resume your ramblings and then attempt to click "submit reply" it won't allow you to because it says you are not logged on??? :confused:

Okay, so dawdling is not allowed??? :p

skater said:
No, not just you. It's damn annoying.
Thanks Skater, I've just got back from the Cooks and thought maybe I was suffering from the dreaded after-holiday "Idonwannabeeback" sydrome and it was playing havoc with my eyes!! :p ;)

Monopoly said:
Is it just me, or whenever you try to reply to a post, if you take too long (ie. go to make a cuppa) when you return, resume your ramblings and then attempt to click "submit reply" it won't allow you to because it says you are not logged on??? :confused:

Okay, so dawdling is not allowed??? :p

Do you have the "remember me" option checked ON when you log on?

duncan_m said:
Do you have the "remember me" option checked ON when you log on?
No, does that help?? I thought this was so you didn't have to remember (or rather, retype) your password each time you logged on.

It's actually designed to help with exactly the problem you mentioned - it logs you back in when your session times out (which happens after 15 minutes of inactivity).

"Remember me" is your friend if you are a "dawdler" :D

Sim said:
It's actually designed to help with exactly the problem you mentioned - it logs you back in when your session times out (which happens after 15 minutes of inactivity).

Thanks Sim, I guess I never paid attention to it before as I thought it was just a password reminder/prompt, and as this never used to happen prior to the forum upgrade I didn't bother to check it afterwards.

Yes I'm guilty of being a "dawdler" when reading/posting, finding that a caffeine injection between posts helps absorb them better!! :D

Cheers,

Jo

Sim said:
I've never used that either as we have 3 people who log on. Thought it would keep me logged on when someone else wants to use it.

skater said:
I've never used that either as we have 3 people who log on. Thought it would keep me logged on when someone else wants to use it.

Yes it will do that - which means you have to explicitly log off when you want to log on as someone else.

You can't have it both ways. You either get it keeping you logged on - thus avoiding session timeouts ... or you have it automatically log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity - thus avoiding the need to explicitly log out.

Back