Logic Police Thread - the really DIFFICULT questions ...

Cool. So if 100% is the limit, and we are only at 22%, then there is a long way to go!!! Buy up big everyone!!! :D :D :D

Sorry YM, but is that the best you can come up with?:rolleyes: All this D&G, keep out of the market talk, when you haven't a clue as to what the limit is?

Debt servicing at 100% of income is the simple maths! Not there yet though - read my previous post for my view on it.

Your original 'argument' is that 'property investing = crap'.
Thanks for the neat summary.

Two things:
In fact, it kinda changes often.
My argument is very consistent. Market yields are crap. Therefore you need CG to make it work. CG is limited by debt growth.

2. Property does not NEED to repeat the last 20 years for it to be an great investment and to become amazing rich from it. Yes, we may run out of capacity but:
- this does not mean we will have a massive crash/correction necessarily, it could be a soft landing or just stagnation.
- this could be 10 years away still. Or 5. Or 1. Or 15.
There may be some life left in the beast yet - that is true. But at some point ..... property prices will link again to our incomes. It has to because the debt is not unlimited.

Cool. So if 100% is the limit, and we are only at 22%, then there is a long way to go!!! Buy up big everyone!!! :D :D :D

Sorry YM, but is that the best you can come up with?:rolleyes: All this D&G, keep out of the market talk, when you haven't a clue as to what the limit is?

The depth of your argument blows me away .... yawn

OK - just for the hell of it ... hhhmmm ... I think the limit is 23.145%

Last edited:
Good post YM.

Why not just levelling off at 2007 prices? Because once the CG stops (or drops back to inflation) and investors begin to believe this then they will have no reason to hold properties that have a poor market yield.

I'd disagree with this point though. Don't forget, investors only represent 30% of the market. What happened the last time the market peaked and investors dropped out (i.e. 2003 or whenever the last boom peaked)? It was just stagnation.

Thanks for the neat summary.

My argument is very consistent. Market yields are crap. Therefore you need CG to make it work. CG is limited by debt growth.

There may be some life left in the beast yet - that is true. But at some point ..... property prices will link again to our incomes. It has to because the debt is not unlimited.

Really? For the average income earner/investor perhaps. But maybe the trend of concentrating more wealth into an already property savvy segment of the population, will continue to emerge, at a faster pace than previously thought.

I think the points I am making are very compelling and make the medium term outlook for property look shaky - as a result I make you uncomfortable and I get the hostile posts like the one I've quoted above. If you don't like what I'm saying then don't engage with me - that is fine by me.

Yield,
the arguments you raise are not as compelling as you think. We already know of the factors that will make an investment go south.

Risk of loss due to a number of factors is part of investing. Affordability, or lack thereof, is one of these factors. Are we aware of it? yes. Do we think that property prices might stall due to the prices being way above what people can supposedly afford? yes.

But, we all learn to manage that risk by selecting a property based on our knowledge and experience, the same as a good share investor learns to hedge against a crash.

And, as I've said, there have been several far more knowledgeable people than me on this forum who have tried to help you change your closed mind throught their experience. But you keep on with the same stuff.

I am happy to engage with anybody on this forum, as long as they can realise their position in the game; if you are inexperienced, have never done it, or are scared to do it, then those people should come on the forum
and be humble, ask for help and learn from the masters.

Those who have been there and done it are in more of a position to put forward the knowledge, offer advice and state their opinions with authority - they deserve to. Those of us who know less can argue against them, but for how long? My view is once, then if the argument can't be proven, then maybe it's time to listen up and learn. I've found that this strategy has served me well in my life.

You haven't learned what your position is; you have no practical experience in property investing, yet you continue to sprout all sorts of stuff and argue against the experts.

I could do the same on a shares forum as I have little knowledge of them, but I bet within 5 mins I would be told to p*ss-off by someone if I kept arguing the point with someone who had made a million out of them.

Anyway, enough of this point; I wanted to make a comment about the post you made earlier;

Originally Posted by yieldmatters
Why not just levelling off at 2007 prices? Because once the CG stops (or drops back to inflation) and investors begin to believe this then they will have no reason to hold properties that have a poor market yield.

I have 3 properties that have doubled in value since 2003, and as such the rental yields have dropped a lot compared to the current value. If I was in the market to buy them today, I wouldn't buy them.
If the values dropped by 30% overnight the rental yield would still be a bit ordinary based on that new value, but the properties' values compared to what I paid would still be very good, and the rental yield won't drop with the property value (thankfully).
I have no intention of selling these properties in either scenario as they are providing a good return based on my initial investment. Also, selling a property incurs significant taxes and costs, that eat into my returns, as well as the lost future cap growth.
In my opinion, investors who compare the current yield to the current value of a property they own and have owned for a good while are not looking at the investment correctly.

The return on investment for an I.P is a combination of rental yield, cap growth and tax benefits. I think that you should always look at all 3 at the same time to evaluate your investment return.

This is what I want to know. How can the last 20 years repeat itself over the next 20 years? My argument is it can't because we will run out of capacity to take on debt. I don't know why this is so controversial.

Yield,

people have been saying this forever. When my mum and dad bought their first house after renting forever; they paid $21k for it, I was scared that they would not be able to pay for the loan. I was 12 at the time.
They were very stressed about the commitment, but managed to get through it o.k. They wished they had bought a house 5 years earlier "when they were cheap".

The thing about the ever-increasing debt you mention is that peoples' incomes keep going up (admittedly not very quickly). This keeps pace with the debt level to a degree. But, as people earn more, they spend more. No real news there. One of my best friends earns well over $100k per year and has no money. Actually; he has money - just no wealth.

Also, the level of debt that people can carry has a self-regulating mechanism to a degree. In the past, Banks were in control of this regulation by assessing people's financial position and not allowing them to spend more than 30% of their incomes on loan repayments.

In recent years, we have seen a relaxing of this figure; now we hear of people spending up to 50% or even more of their income on loans/personal debt. This, of course, has come back to bite society on the bum (especially here in the USA with the sub-prime collapse). It is not possible to carry this level of debt and still enjoy life. Something has to give eventually.

Now, in the aftermath, we will see only the more financially stable getting more "traditional" finance; a lot of the "creative" loans have been pulled from the shelves by the lenders - a return to the old P&I loans with the 20% deposit on repayments less than 35% of income in most cases. This is going to cut out many people from the housing market for a while.

This is the self regulation process in action. The result will be that property prices will slow, or stop for a while as there will be less people able to get and service finance. But, people will slowly get their financials in order, and be in a position to qualify for finance and the whole cycle will start all over again.

I think your fears are unfounded; I believe in the cycles. I've seen quite a few and the factors that drive them are several.

Spiralling debt is just one of the factors, and will probably affect the market (in some areas) for a time until equilibrium returns, as it always has.

i'll :rolleyes: ............... as well.

when property is overprices people stop buying, prices stagnant, builders and developers stop building and developing, market of available proprety tightens as population still increases, rents go up, yield improves dramatically (10-20% in the last year and no end in sight ... ), yield becomes attractive, investors enter the market, rent becomes more expensive than buying, buyers enter the market, prices go up ....

it is a cycle. what don't yet get about that?

and believe me - the new plasma tv and daily latte will go before the house (in most cases).

when property is overprices people stop buying, prices stagnant, builders and developers stop building and developing, market of available proprety tightens as population still increases, rents go up, yield improves dramatically (10-20% in the last year and no end in sight ... ), yield becomes attractive, investors enter the market, rent becomes more expensive than buying, buyers enter the market, prices go up ....

that's all cool but tell me where will the money come from?

Prices outstripping wages forever simply can't happen. The best responses I have had so far to this obvious problem are:
1) They can outstrip wages in a particular area as new money comes to the area. (this is fine but it is a micro answer - doesn't solve the macro problem)
2) We know it can't go on forever but it can go on for a while yet - so don't worry - get on board.

yieldmatters said:
I think the points I am making are very compelling.

Blowing your own trumpet eh?! Must be getting desperate now...not a single person here has called your overall arguments 'compelling'...quite the opposite in fact.

yieldmatters said:

Is that it? Is that ALL there is to it? You've got to be joking! And you supposedly have a 'Masters in Economics'???

yieldmatters said:
doesn't solve the macro problem)

Who cares???

nice to see you are still reading this thread ... :)

As you can see, I just can't help taking every opportunity to highlight your ignorance and make you look silly :D :p ...

YM, There's no doubt this will make your day.:rolleyes: .willair..
Dr Keen says the level of debt stress being experienced is illustrated by the latest insolvency figures for New South Wales and Victoria, which show a surge of 12 per cent in the September quarter

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/10/2056188.htm?section=business

Keen is a bit of a loner on this but I read his stuff. The involvency figures don't make me happy necessarilly - there are real people behind the numbers - but I don't know a better way out of it. Necessary pain.

Question is - when the debt slows or levels off will it have an impact on house prices? I notice LAAussie arguing that long term it won't - it will just be a short term shakeup (you can read his post for yourself just incase I've misquoted him!).

Quote from article (Dr Steve Keen):

"because if they do it again now - put up rates because inflation may tick up in the next quarterly data - then we will be experiencing a greater level of financial stress than during the Great Depression."

"And if they think the economy can cope with that, well good luck. I don't believe it can."

Interesting seems to saying RBA shouldnt put up interest rates? which seems to work against his other concern that house prices and property investment are the reason for the current debt levels. Would have thought raising rates would have taken further heat from borrowing? otherwise as he implies, where does the economies reliance on the ever increasing debt burden stop?

Quote from article (Dr Steve Keen):

"because if they do it again now - put up rates because inflation may tick up in the next quarterly data - then we will be experiencing a greater level of financial stress than during the Great Depression."

"And if they think the economy can cope with that, well good luck. I don't believe it can."

Interesting seems to saying RBA shouldnt put up interest rates? which seems to work against his other concern that house prices and property investment are the reason for the current debt levels. Would have thought raising rates would have taken further heat from borrowing? otherwise as he implies, where does the economies reliance on the ever increasing debt burden stop?
Yeah - I had the same thoughts. That is where I disagree with Steve Keen. Agree with everything else he says but I don't agree about the interest rates. I see putting up rates as a tough but necessary way to get us off the debt. I suppose he sees some other alternatives in consumer credit laws that are a kinder way to do it - I don't know if that will work.

Question is - when the debt slows or levels off will it have an impact on house prices? I notice LAAussie arguing that long term it won't - it will just be a short term shakeup (you can read his post for yourself just incase I've misquoted him!).
Y/M I look at everything in very simple terms maybe with the fly-by-night
developers and the cheap dog boxes they build these days and the
shoddines of the construction yes those properties may well stay
at these levels,look at New Zealand in the early 1990.s their building
frenzy lasted for 10 years,so in SEQ and with so much inner city
upmaket riverside units development and the pre off the plan sales
then imho,not all area's will suffer, the simple item i'm trying to show you
i have seen 3 R/E booms in SEQ,I was very lucky to control property
in the last 2 ,the next one is happening now in some inner area's
will it stop,IMHO I don't thnk so but then on the other hand when
i see mini - skirted girls standing in shop front windows touting
i bedroom apartments for sale, serious questions must be raised
but does anyone ever do this first time around with stars and instant dollar
in their eyes..willair..
BTW i know what FREEDOM is and only Property gave me that;) , working just paided to put food on the table and pay the private school fees........

Prices outstripping wages forever simply can't happen. The best responses I have had so far to this obvious problem are:
1) They can outstrip wages in a particular area as new money comes to the area. (this is fine but it is a micro answer - doesn't solve the macro problem)

Good thing I only plan to buy 10-12 properties, not Victoria. I don't give a sh*t about the 'macro problem'. You can worry about that. I'll focus on increasing my wealth instead.

2) We know it can't go on forever but it can go on for a while yet - so don't worry - get on board.

Exactly. If you agree that long term (i.e. 30-40 years) it will go up and know that you cannot pick the peaks or the troughs why bother.

My money is on the person who puts 80% of their focus and effort into buying consistently (when they are able to) and learning the process and 20% focus on timing their purchases rather than the other way around.

If I sell my current assets today to re-buy I'd be down 20%. For me to profit from the huge crash I'd have to sell now then re-buy after prices dropped say 25% (IF they dropped that much, whilst probably having a hard time to find the credit to do so - oh, and I'll probably be earning half my current salary too).

Two questions for you:

1. Can you explain why the Australian situation cannot eventually become like it is in London, NY, Berlin, Paris or Singapore, where renting is the norm even for middle class families, the 'average house' isn't even a house and the generally accepted commute times are greater?

2. What happens to micro property prices when skilled and/or high net worth individuals move to Australia from SE Asia? Like the Indian guys at my work? (not high net wealth to start with, but high skilled and now earning over six figures). Did know that you can 'buy' yourself into Australia if you make a certain $ investment in new real estate? The figure is around 450k (hmm... about the same price as a new apartment in a MUD).

I'm not personally expecting a boom but I don't think it's going to be as bad as you suggest.

Back