What would you do if you didn't have to work???

Keep the good things, stop doing things I don't like and try lots of new things.

New things may include ...

Further Studies in Financial Planning, emerging technologies such as Photovoltaics/Thermal Solar, electric cars, art etc ...

Join/Form bands and learn new styles of music

Owner build new PPOR on acreage

Meet lots of interesting people while doing the above things and travel to visit new friends.

I have been researching the doing 'new things' for a long time and will continue to do the same. Investing will help me reduce the amount of time doing things I don't like and focus more on things I do like

love the posts - have to say Boat Boy wins for me - best lifestyle dream 4 sure.

I am not a boaty but similar involving rolling out of bed to the surf and spearfishing 50 or so metres from my house. Would also like to do active property projects and a little volunteering - some ngo work maybe and some at my church. Just enough to not get bored, but little enough to allow above activities most days. Oh yeah and quality time with my kids - lots of it.

Thats more like the responses I knew were out there...I would also like to add scuba diving/mountain biking to my list...and for sure, I would need a week rather than just a day...I really don't think I would get bored, I have sooo many hobbies...:) Now that I think about it, building my own PPOR sounds awesome too, if I had a fair bit of time...

Keep it coming!!!!!!!!!

Hi haven't looked in for a couple of years, short attention span and had enough of reading property stuff all the time.Lots of new names and still a few oldies.

Anyway, I did retire at around 30 yrs of age from my previous life as a HPE Teacher thanks entirely to property investing (used equity to purchase an annuity), posts from a few years ago explain in more detail. I had 18 months off alltogether. Went to the gym, excercised a fair bit, played with my kids (2nd had just been born, wife also stays home with kids), managed my portfolio a few hours a week but just absically enjoyed not having to go to work everyday. Had enough of managing portfolio and gave all to an agent (now I don't want to know, my agent only conatcts by email and only for major stuff) i haven't even been inside an IP of mine in 3 years even though must are within 3 k's of my house.

I like challenges and my brain wasn't being stimulated enough so I:

Did a townhouse development, and actually did all the project managment myself.

sold 5 houses to buy 1 renovator on the water in inner Brisbane, fought the council for 10 months and got overheight DA to turn little workers cottage in to grand 3 story residence (still building it myself in my spare time)

Bought a business for circa $650K, did some work in it for a while, systemised it all got it running now increased turnover dramatically. Now I just physically pay the bills and wages (staff run it and even enter all bills into spreadsheet and quickbooks so I can do netbanking from anywhere) spend time know on marketing business and have just setup to franchise throughout OZ

Started EasyPhonewords a business that leases 1300, 1800 and 13 phonewords to other businesses eg. 1300 SPLIT AIR for airconditioning tech

Started AdBike.com.au -mountainbikes that tow 3 sided trailers with backlit billboards in them and eskys for handing cold promo products etc.

Basically I Still really enjoy property investing but I find that I have my formulae know and it is ticking along great. I am all about time and freedom but find that I still need new challenges and brain stimulation. With IP's none of this would of been possible and the fact I only do about 3 days work a week is great (and a lot of it I do from laptop sitting in a cafe on Burleigh heads beach). Would like to do some more developments and I again have had a good gain in my equity from the recent little run Brisbane has had.

Overall I guess I could of stayed working and made more money, done another development straight away of the same kind and made more money, I could work more in one of my businesses and make a higher wage so to speak etc. etc. But what I am currently focusing on is doing enough to make a decent living (while still accumulating significant property Growth for future years) but enjoying my kids (no 3 since been born and no 4 should be underway next year), stimulating the brain and still having a decent life.

IP for me was always about the ability to make choices and it still is today. I could buy a lot more property with my equity, especially if i 'worked' more hours to increase my cashflow, so i guess to answer the question what would i do if i didn't work, find something to challenge me that i can think about and work in a few days a week and the rest of the time enjoy my family caue they sure aren't young for long. If i didn't have kids I would probably find something more to get my teeth because all my mates are still a slave to the grind stone and don't have the time to hang out with me in the middle of the week

Hi haven't looked in for a couple of years, short attention span and had enough of reading property stuff all the time.Lots of new names and still a few oldies.

Anyway, I did retire at around 30 yrs of age from my previous life as a HPE Teacher thanks entirely to property investing (used equity to purchase an annuity), posts from a few years ago explain in more detail. I had 18 months off alltogether. Went to the gym, excercised a fair bit, played with my kids (2nd had just been born, wife also stays home with kids), managed my portfolio a few hours a week but just absically enjoyed not having to go to work everyday. Had enough of managing portfolio and gave all to an agent (now I don't want to know, my agent only conatcts by email and only for major stuff) i haven't even been inside an IP of mine in 3 years even though must are within 3 k's of my house.

I like challenges and my brain wasn't being stimulated enough so I:

Did a townhouse development, and actually did all the project managment myself.

sold 5 houses to buy 1 renovator on the water in inner Brisbane, fought the council for 10 months and got overheight DA to turn little workers cottage in to grand 3 story residence (still building it myself in my spare time)

Bought a business for circa $650K, did some work in it for a while, systemised it all got it running now increased turnover dramatically. Now I just physically pay the bills and wages (staff run it and even enter all bills into spreadsheet and quickbooks so I can do netbanking from anywhere) spend time know on marketing business and have just setup to franchise throughout OZ

Started EasyPhonewords a business that leases 1300, 1800 and 13 phonewords to other businesses eg. 1300 SPLIT AIR for airconditioning tech

Started AdBike.com.au -mountainbikes that tow 3 sided trailers with backlit billboards in them and eskys for handing cold promo products etc.

Basically I Still really enjoy property investing but I find that I have my formulae know and it is ticking along great. I am all about time and freedom but find that I still need new challenges and brain stimulation. With IP's none of this would of been possible and the fact I only do about 3 days work a week is great (and a lot of it I do from laptop sitting in a cafe on Burleigh heads beach). Would like to do some more developments and I again have had a good gain in my equity from the recent little run Brisbane has had.

Overall I guess I could of stayed working and made more money, done another development straight away of the same kind and made more money, I could work more in one of my businesses and make a higher wage so to speak etc. etc. But what I am currently focusing on is doing enough to make a decent living (while still accumulating significant property Growth for future years) but enjoying my kids (no 3 since been born and no 4 should be underway next year), stimulating the brain and still having a decent life.

IP for me was always about the ability to make choices and it still is today. I could buy a lot more property with my equity, especially if i 'worked' more hours to increase my cashflow, so i guess to answer the question what would i do if i didn't work, find something to challenge me that i can think about and work in a few days a week and the rest of the time enjoy my family caue they sure aren't young for long. If i didn't have kids I would probably find something more to get my teeth because all my mates are still a slave to the grind stone and don't have the time to hang out with me in the middle of the week

In reality, this is exactly what I also want in the future...however I don't think I can do it by the time I'm 30...maybe 40....I guess the need to be challenged has to be there somewhere...:)

Just re read my message and think I could of worded the first bit about why I haven't looked in for a while. THink this forum is great and have told any newbie or person I have meant who is or interested in becoming a property investor of the years that this forum is the best thing they could read. It has always been a wealth of knowledge and had some very interesting people in it. Reason for a break really was my short attention span, the need to look for something different.
I did it by 30 because I had quite a few IP's when the Brisbane market was stagnant and I got CG purely through renovating. SO when the last boom happened I think I had 6 places that had paid less then $180k for all in inner Bris so when they jumped to the 350 mark it obviously sped things up for me a bit. Also I started early and settled on first place within a month of graduating UNI.

Doesn't matter how old you are or when you do it just as long as you do. My Mum lived on a pension and never owned a house and still lives (if you can call it that) on the pension as a 70 something yr old. Not how I envisage my 'golden years' and I am sure is the same for everyone on here.

good luck

Just re read my message and think I could of worded the first bit about why I haven't looked in for a while. THink this forum is great and have told any newbie or person I have meant who is or interested in becoming a property investor of the years that this forum is the best thing they could read. It has always been a wealth of knowledge and had some very interesting people in it. Reason for a break really was my short attention span, the need to look for something different.
I did it by 30 because I had quite a few IP's when the Brisbane market was stagnant and I got CG purely through renovating. SO when the last boom happened I think I had 6 places that had paid less then $180k for all in inner Bris so when they jumped to the 350 mark it obviously sped things up for me a bit. Also I started early and settled on first place within a month of graduating UNI.

Doesn't matter how old you are or when you do it just as long as you do. My Mum lived on a pension and never owned a house and still lives (if you can call it that) on the pension as a 70 something yr old. Not how I envisage my 'golden years' and I am sure is the same for everyone on here.

good luck

Hello RPI,

your post has been a very interesting read and i think your insights into "Life" and the "Your Journey" have been very insightful for me still being early in my own personal journey at 25 years of age.

Cheers

Not having to work is everyone's goal.

Having not worked for the last 2 odd years, I can say that I need to work.

If you are going to be free from work, you need to have some projects lined up, or a hobby, a sport (golf and skiing for me) to keep you busy and your mind and body active.

I think once I don't have to work I'll be playing lots of golf, spending time with my family and travelling with them, but I will dabble in reno projects for the fun of it (and the profit).

Renos are great; you get to work when it suits you, it's challenging, rewarding, keeps you thinking and keeps you busy (if you want to be).

Long term, and if the wealth level allows, I want to start a foundation/shelter/school for the troubled/homless/abused kids of Aus. No doubt that will be too much work, but I won't mind it.

Not having to work is everyone's goal.

Having not worked for the last 2 odd years, I can say that I need to work.

If you are going to be free from work, you need to have some projects lined up, or a hobby, a sport (golf and skiing for me) to keep you busy and your mind and body active.

I think once I don't have to work I'll be playing lots of golf, spending time with my family and travelling with them, but I will dabble in reno projects for the fun of it (and the profit).

Renos are great; you get to work when it suits you, it's challenging, rewarding, keeps you thinking and keeps you busy (if you want to be).

Long term, and if the wealth level allows, I want to start a foundation/shelter/school for the troubled/homless/abused kids of Aus. No doubt that will be too much work, but I won't mind it.

I find it interesting that people that are seeking financial freedom so that they can quit their job to do want they want, also state that they will do renovations in their spare time because they would love to do that.

If so much joy is derived from renovating properties, why doesn't everyone just work in the construction industry!

For me personally, i will use a renovation strategy to increase the equity in my properties, but definitely can not see me enjoying it sooo much that this will be something i dream of doing in my spare time once i reach financial freedom.

Haven't thought of this before.....hmmm, let's see what I really hope for in my day to day's life.

Ha hah, every morning when the alarm clock struck me, I just hope I can stay in bed for a few more minutes.

So most likely when I don't need to work, I will sleep, sleep in, sleep forever, and rest in peace.....:D

I find it interesting that people that are seeking financial freedom so that they can quit their job to do want they want, also state that they will do renovations in their spare time because they would love to do that.

If so much joy is derived from renovating properties, why doesn't everyone just work in the construction industry!

For me personally, i will use a renovation strategy to increase the equity in my properties, but definitely can not see me enjoying it sooo much that this will be something i dream of doing in my spare time once i reach financial freedom.

Like anything; to do it as a hobby is totally different to doing it as a job.

People say to me: "oh; how great it must be to be able to work in a sport that you love!" (I am/was a Golf Pro).

yeah; right.

renos for me will definitely be just a hobby.

Just because something is enjoyable doesn't mean you want to do it all day. And having it as a job means you HAVE to do it, as opposed to choosing to do it when you want to.
Alex

If I didn't have to work because the magic money monster vistited my bank account?

I'd expand the volunteer programme I already run and take it to other organisations.

Use skills. Sense of achievement. Make a contribution. Ticks all the boxes.

Textiles Program

Last edited:
It's amazing how individual and unique other peoples' dreams are. Or to put it a much less polite way, it's amazing how boring other peoples' dreams sound to me.

I'd spent my time writing music and producing short films. I bet that sounds dead boring to everyone else too :)

How does one plan an extravagant lifestyle or dedicate your life to causes if you have young kids. I know my kids take up a lot of our weekends with sporting and social activities. Then you have your network of friends and relatives that keep you occupied.

My satisfaction comes from seeing satisfied clients and looking at ways of expanding our business. We recently established our own construction company and once again I intend to deliver quality at exceptional prices.

We also recently built a new home on a largish block so lots of projects such as pool and landscaping will keep me occupied.

Therefore, while the kids are still at school I can focus on building a larger asset base and then later on looking at ways of getting the whole thing to run by itself.

The hobbies I pursue at the moment is racing my sports car at Queensland Raceway. I normally participate in the Wednesday sprints. I would play more golf however, I don't know many people that can play during the weekdays. I also keep fit by playing soccer on a weekly basis plus regular workout at the gym.

Once the kids are older I can see myself taking long breaks and doing more travel to overseas countries and possibly staying in a place for a few months. We would also like to help the needy at a personal level.

Back