Australian property market much stronger than the US. Its different over here.

Hi guys,

A recurring question on Somersoft lately revolves around the question of the relative strength of the Australian property market compared to our US counter-parts. I, and a few others, have argued the case as to why Australian residential property looks likely to outperform the US over the near term based on fundamental different market conditions. An article on p22 of today's AFR substantiates this position as represented by global bond managers:

AFR's George Liondis said:
The world's biggest bond manager has urged investors to buy securities linked to Australian mortgages, arguing Australia's home owners were less likely to default on laons than counterparts in the US.

US-based Pacific Investment Management (pimco), which manages $US829.5 billion ($958 billion) in bonds worldwide, said Australian mortgage debt offered compelling value, despite lingering fears about assets tied to home loans.

The crisis on credit markets, sparked by defaults on US sub-prime home loans, sent investors rushing out of securities linked to mortgage-backed debt his year.

But Rob Mead, head of Asia-Pacific credit at Pimco, said investors were missing out on strong returns by shunning bonds associated with Australian mortgages, which he said were of a higher quality and less likely to default.

The return on Australian home loan bonds increased 10-fold over the past year to more than 2 percentage points over the benchmark bank bill swap rate as issuers offered added inducement in an atempt to attract a dwindling number of buyers.

"The fundamentals of the Australian mortgage market are decidedly different to the mortgage market in the US," Mr Mead said.

"The sub-prime component of the Australian market would be less than 1 per cent of the market, whereas in the US it would be 15 per cent of the market."

Other analysts agreed that Australian mortgage bonds were appealing.

"The fundamentals of the property market in Australia are much better than the US", said Glenn Feben, managing director of Perennial Fixed Interest.

"There is a huge oversupply of housing in the US, whereas there is an undersupply in Australia.

"They [AAA-rated Australian mortgage bonds] are very high quality assets and from the perspective of the risk they present, you are getting paid an attractive margin."

Mr Feben however bemoaned the lack of new supply of mortgage-backed debt in Australia.

The sale of securities backed by home mortgages has shrivelled by about 90 per cent this year as the squeeze on credit markets took hold.

"The banks are not issuing them and non-bank issuance of mortgage-backed securities is non-existant," Mr Feben said.

Mr Mead said he was buying AAA-rated US dollar and euro-denominated bonds backed by Australian home loans from struggling overseas investment banks and structured investment vehicles.
Maybe it really is different over here...

Cheers,
Michael

hello,

it sure is different here Michael,

the first thing you have to do when land in US is go straight to Walmart and pickup an uzi, rocket launcher, rambo knife, 9mm, dirty harry magnum, armoured hummer (they have them there as well?)

here in aus, we living in the best country in the WORLD anyday, just cruise on down the street,

and hopefully the aus banks keep up the competition to grab these secure mortgages

thankyou
myla

In my view it all comes down to most US loans being non-recourse. I am not so confident should have Australia gone down the same path that we too wouldn't have got into a much bigger mess than we have.

In short those struggling now haven't just thrown the keys at the bank manager they've sold everything taken up two jobs etc etc.. whereas in the US they simply walked out on the property.

Put simply if you own a property that dropped in value and you where struggling to pay for and by simply handing it back to the bank meant you only trashed your CRA I think many Australians would have gone down that path. Difference here, the bank wont stop until they bankrupt you i.e. unless your having a 48 hour famine 3 times a week you wont let yourself default.

Thats my 2 cents anyways.

further to that

http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/michaelpascoe/96/bhp-forecasts-our-world/

Despite all the scary headlines, the Aussie economy remains in pretty good shape. Michael Pascoe shares his insight into our economy's health.
Last week it was the Commonwealth Bank's annual numbers displaying what the real story is with Australian banking. This week it's BHP that's telling us what's really happening with the economy.

And it's good news - unlike the vast majority of screaming headlines that repeat what the American pet shop parrots are squawking about the US economy.

Quite simply, BHP's single page on the global economic outlook and commodity prices is worth more to investors than the vast volumes of forecasts and commentary churned out by the financial markets economists and commentators. Page 12 of Monday's annual results announcement was more important than page one with the juicy profit numbers. So, to save you the effort of looking up BHP's release here's the bit that counts:

The global economy has remained resilient in the face of significant structural weaknesses in developed economies. The continuing massive industrialisation in China is providing solid support to the global economy.

Over the past financial year there has been considerable weakening in most major developed economies. The deflation of asset values within these economies has led to a reduction in wealth effect for consumers. This appears to have ended the past decade's unsustainable consumer debt driven economic growth, particularly in the US.

However, a direct spill over into emerging market economies has remained largely contained. Emerging market economies have contributed more than their industrial counterparts to global growth since the year 2000. Led by China and India, economic growth in these economies has been strong with solid support from growth in domestic demand and strong trading activity with other emerging market economies.

We expect short term global economic growth to slow as developed economies experience further weakening in coming quarters. Liquidity is likely to remain low, and risk premia high for some time into the future. Rising inflation, particularly in food and energy, alongside weakening economic growth has restricted the flexibility of central banks to inject liquidity and stimulate their economies.

Higher inflation will also have a likely negative impact on emerging market economies through their adoption of tighter monetary policies. However, emerging market economies should remain relatively strong on the back of continued domestic infrastructure investment and regional trade. While short-term disruptions may occur, we expect that their long-term economic growth will remain robust as they continue on the path to industrialisation.

And that's why BHP is a buy. More importantly, that's why the Australian economy remains in pretty good shape, despite all the scary headlines. Global growth remains sound.

There's more explanation of the above quotes in BHP's results presentation, including a couple of neat graphs showing just where China's economic growth comes from. If you're serious about trying to understand the economy and what really counts for investing, you'll dig them out and study them. And it's free

History repeats itself over and over its a sure thing

I agree Australia is the greatest place in the world to live. I was born overseas and I've lived and travelled in North & South America, Europe, North Africa and the Middle east. There are a lot of nice places in the world but I chose Australia because it had all the advantages of Canada and none of the disadvantages (mainly cold weather)

Having said that as an investor Australia represents less than 2% of the world's equity markets and our fate is tied to what happens in New York, London and the G7.

Your dreaming if you think we will escape the financial firestorm headed our way. In 1900 Australians were number 1 in the world as far as the general wealth of its citizens followed by Argentina:eek: A lot of that wealth came from the 1880's gold rush, Melbourne Property boom and our primary produce.

The 1929 crash that reverberated through Australia was out of proportion to many European countries who were not as well off. Why? Like today we are dependent on selling our primary produce and mineral wealth.

Be careful when you hear the words "but it is different this time" or "in australia". My only beef living here is the tall poppy cutters who are alive and well on this site too. I am a student of history and we are headed for a massive correction. If you stick your head in the sand your leaving your backside exposed:eek:

hello,

and how is gold travelling?

the saviour of the world, the only true wealth, a hedge against high inflation

looks like the indicator is telling us something else, things are all rosy

thankyou
myla

Thanks Dweller. I note from your previous posts you have a development site that you need to refinance. If you look back over some of my posts you will find that I am very concerned where we are going to end up.

I have taken a lot of flack from those who refuse to believe the world wide property boom is ever going to end. My concern is a lot of first time property investors are going to suffer when the wheels fall off.

If you don't have at least 1 years reserve behind you, I wouldn't be borrowing more money for a development.

Adeui and farewell

hello,

and how is gold travelling?

the saviour of the world, the only true wealth, a hedge against high inflation

looks like the indicator is telling us something else, things are all rosy

thankyou
myla

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. The Aussie dollar also known as a fiat currency has dropped from 96 cents to 86 cents over the last week and gold is again edging up. It will go up and down for a while. If the bad news continues the share market in October may be the tipping point for the aussie $ to head south and gold to head north to $1500

As I have outlined adnausum in many posts we are headed for a soft financial depression where you won't be able to take advantage of those 2% interest rates I have spoken about because of a severe liquidity crisis that could as a worst case scenario last 10 years. When property prices in Japan collapsed in the 1990's interest rates went to 0.5%:eek:

You say I have no proof for any of this and it is all scare mongering? What I say to you is we have had 16 years of incredible growth in property like the world has not seen before. The property boom was funded by a securitisation market that allowed banks to sell the debt to others so their balance sheets "looked rosy". The Australian banks do not have enough deposits to fund all its borrowings. So where is all that money going to come from? It is certainly not going to come from overseas.

THE SECURITISATION MARKET IN AUSTRALIA IS DEAD AS A DODO. Do you not read the financial papers? Have you not heard of a listed property trust called centro? Their assets are second to none yet they cannot secure funds to roll their debt over. Centro is headed down the drain with a gaggle of U.S., European and Australian banks including the nab and the anz left holding blue chip commercial real estate here in Australia that has already dropped 50%. We are talking a cool 5-8 billion in losses.

A total of 500 Billion has been written off on CDO's with another 800 billion to come. The sub prime tragedy still has another two years to play out. That will be extended further because the US government like the Japanese in the 1990's will not swallow the bitter pill of letting major banks fail. The Europeans are in worse shape.

Here in Victoria the job losses are climbing and discretionary spending has nose dived but things are rosy myla?

We have protected ourselves by selling our least valuable property last week after a very long and difficult sales campaign. We have our most valuable asset on the block tomorrow but I am not confident it will sell. I have been at three commercial auctions in the last week where investors stood around with their hands in their pockets and agents mumbling things are not good.

I won't be gleeful next year when reality and the pain appears on this board. If your starting your investment journey you want to be very sure you have a fat reserve to protect your seed capital. If you are thinking of borrowing 95% think again. Things have changed the rules will continue to change as the big four banks have the whip and its payback time for all those brokers. History shows that when times are tough and liquidity is scarce banks will only lend to people who don't need it and to those they are sure of getting it back from quickly.

In the sharp end of the equity and futures markets brokers call mum and dad investors piglets because they squeal when they lose their life savings. It has been very easy to make a lot of money in the property market for the last ten years. There are a lot of over confident individuals on SS who have sneered at my postings. I have put my money where my mouth is and protected us as best I can. In the next two years the real property investors will flourish and my bet is that will be those who have protected themselves. I doubt that you will hear the squeeling on SS because like gamblers, losers only tell you about their winning:D

I have said enough I'm going to take a break from SS. I won't be returning the venom if what I fear is coming pans out. If I'm wrong:eek: hey we all have clay feet:D Bye

Hey Nonrecourse, I enjoy the alternate viewpoint as well, who knows wherein a grain of truth lies, mate... if the economists and experts can't get it right what chance do I have?

I'm moderately aware of the problems (thanks to the media), though am no closer to a solution, in your hypothesis what is the solution or a defence to the forthcoming problems?

PS: I thought Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit, but then a met a great funny sarcastic fella who didn't take himself seriously ;)

Last edited:
nonrecourse, I agree with your general sentiment.
with boomers entering retirement from New York to Tokyo to Seoul to Paris, it is difficult to see where Aussies might source foreign credit.....which means we'll be more reliant on local credit.....and seeing we now have the lowest savings rate in history and GDP under the rate of cpi, that ain't looking rosy. foreign countries will more and more rein their wealth back in from the US and Europe to pay for a growing retirement obligation.

Meanwhile, what is done with the wealth western free markets have shifted to the oil states and China, will determine the fate of Western assets.

I think if push comes to shove the non-recourse thing will not make a big difference. Most people's assets are in their PPOR. The downturn affects the newest buyers the most. Instead of getting just the house, the bank gets the house and a bit of their car if they haven't sold it by then.

I guess we will not know what happens over here until uneployment goes up or if there is a recession. Only then do you find out how naked the lenders and borrowers actually got. Bank share prices are down a bit so I guess some people are guessing they will be affected.

As I have outlined adnausum in many posts we are headed for a soft financial depression where you won't be able to take advantage of those 2% interest rates I have spoken about because of a severe liquidity crisis that could as a worst case scenario last 10 years. When property prices in Japan collapsed in the 1990's interest rates went to 0.5%:eek:
I too enjoy alternate POVs. Yours seems to be one of the more extreme though. 2% IRs for 10 yrs - sounds like free money to me - I'd guess yields wouldn't be falling much from their 4% level. That worst case scenario of yours doesn't sound to bad to me. Most here have already borrowed money.... sure more borrowings would be nice, but if the banks won't lend, then many would be happy paying off principle with the excess of income as a 2nd best option.

You say I have no proof for any of this and it is all scare mongering? What I say to you is we have had 16 years of incredible growth in property like the world has not seen before.
You haven't offered proof.... you've quoted 16 yrs of history. According to some economists, housing needs 2 yrs of no growth, with inflation/wages @ 4% to return to long term trend. Disposable income had a corresponding increase in the last 16 yrs too, so affordability has remained v. similar throughout that period.

The property boom was funded by a securitisation market that allowed banks to sell the debt to others so their balance sheets "looked rosy". The Australian banks do not have enough deposits to fund all its borrowings. So where is all that money going to come from? It is certainly not going to come from overseas. THE SECURITISATION MARKET IN AUSTRALIA IS DEAD AS A DODO.
According to last months presentations by the big 5 banks, they've already raised all the $$ they expect need to for this FY - (presentations are on their respective web site or ASX). The RBA recently released a report showing that they are less reliant on O/S & securitisation and have increased depoosit significantly.
This increase in competition in deposit markets has coincided with a renewed appetite by Australians for bank deposits. According to the Westpac and Melbourne Institute Survey of Consumer Sentiment, more people now say that bank deposits are a wiser place for their savings than real estate or shares (Graph 11). This is the first time that this has been the case for more than two decades. As a result, bank deposits are growing very quickly, increasing by 18 per cent over the past year, the fastest growth for many years (Graph 12). Term deposits by the household sector have grown even faster, up 40 per cent over the past year. Not surprisingly, many banks are now paying more attention to how best to attract and retain depositors.

Do you not read the financial papers? Have you not heard of a listed property trust called centro? Their assets are second to none yet they cannot secure funds to roll their debt over. Centro is headed down the drain with a gaggle of U.S., European and Australian banks including the nab and the anz left holding blue chip commercial real estate here in Australia that has already dropped 50%. We are talking a cool 5-8 billion in losses.
Centro is a world away from people on this forum.... there is no comparison - its' loans needed to be refinanced at short notice at low (pre-crunch) rates to survive. It took huge risks with massive leverage and little regard for risk management... and failed. ResIP loans are for 25+ yr terms. In the same RBA report it emphasised that Oz banks have the highest credit ratings in the world. Comparing to resIP to Centro is scaremongering. NAB & ANZ (& ther others) made $4B+ profit each last yr, lossed of $4-8B each aren't going to send them to the wall.

Here in Victoria the job losses are climbing and discretionary spending has nose dived
This normal in this part of the cycle.

We have protected ourselves by selling our least valuable property last week after a very long and difficult sales campaign. We have our most valuable asset on the block tomorrow but I am not confident it will sell. I have been at three commercial auctions in the last week where investors stood around with their hands in their pockets and agents mumbling things are not good.
Good luck with the auction. You've stated your view is for 10 yrs of 2% IRs - if you're serious about putting your money where your mouth is why keep ANY property ?

I won't be gleeful next year when reality and the pain appears on this board. If your starting your investment journey you want to be very sure you have a fat reserve to protect your seed capital. If you are thinking of borrowing 95% think again. Things have changed the rules will continue to change as the big four banks have the whip and its payback time for all those brokers. History shows that when times are tough and liquidity is scarce banks will only lend to people who don't need it and to those they are sure of getting it back from quickly.
I'd agree that the rules have changed - changed to what they were before 2000 - full-docs are fine, no-docs - forget it, lo-docs - currently possible. There's no sign of credit rationing here yet (for full-doc), banks reserves are the highest they've been for many years, Australia have some of the strongest banks on the world.

In the sharp end of the equity and futures markets brokers call mum and dad investors piglets because they squeal when they lose their life savings. It has been very easy to make a lot of money in the property market for the last ten years. There are a lot of over confident individuals on SS who have sneered at my postings. I have put my money where my mouth is and protected us as best I can. In the next two years the real property investors will flourish and my bet is that will be those who have protected themselves. I doubt that you will hear the squeeling on SS because like gamblers, losers only tell you about their winning:D
I think those with the good buffers & risk management will survive this part of the cycle. Your 'worst case' scenario is 2% IRs and no borrowing available. Rents have risen & that appears likely to continue, sounds like seriously c/f +ve IP to me, you'll hear no squealing from me if that happens :). You think new borrowing will be hard..... quite possibly, but that's something that will make it harder (but not impossible) for new investors, existing borrowers are v. likely to be fine, especially with better c/f. If prices do fall by 50%, then some of us will have -ve equity, but good cashflow. Another side effect of 50% falls in IP is that land would be free - construction costs are usually around 50% of IP value... ain't gunna happen.

In this part of the cycle the environment will be harder than it has been, no-one (central banks, govt, banks, public) wants it to be unnecessarily hard. They will do all they can to get to the next bit of the cycle sooner rather than later, IRs will fall, sentiment will improve slowly, trust will return and we will return to an housing environment vaguely similar to 90s.... maybe take 10yrs, maybe less :)

Economic-Clock.gif

This is what i invest by the above clock have done for the last 15 years the only problem is by my simple understanding everybody always says it will be very different this time round,btw in my mind the above clocks hands are set in the middle of tighter finance-falling interest rates once the ASX breaks above the 7000 mark as it will in time,then i will start looking at property again..willair..imho this is not advice i have seen all this before several times, i will see it several times again in my life

Willair

The economic clock seems spot on for the period that has just passed: falling shares, threshold of recession and falling interest rates. What puzzles me is what makes you pick ASX to break through 7000 as defining the next entry for IP? :confused:

F

Willair

The economic clock seems spot on for the period that has just passed: falling shares, threshold of recession and falling interest rates. What puzzles me is what makes you pick ASX to break through 7000 as defining the next entry for IP? :confused:

F
Francesco,just the way i think back in history and the way the system works,property prices on the whole are staying on these levels,every investors that i talk too outside this site tells me property shorterm is very high risk, in the world-aussie share markets they have been hit that hard over the past 8-9 months,what's next in line??,when i talk too 22 year old R-E SALES people and they still tell me the sky's the limit even after i tell them everything moves in cycles and every boom cycle ends,just that no one ever rings the bell, there is a lot of high end money out there waiting for a safe place to park those funds,may take 6 months 12 months or 18 but the ASX will break the 7000 mark,if we did not have the sub-prime mess where would the ASX numbers be today..IMHO....willair..
this is not advice only the way i think,it's always too late when any market starts to run, i don't want to be left behind. In fact, I want to be here before the action starts,that's a quote from Kerry Packer..that quote works in any market..

Willair,

Horses for courses, but I prefer the property market so use the following economic clock as a rough guide to market movements:

http://www.quartile.com.au/Market Data/propertyclock.htm

I've posted this link before and my views on where the market is at. I think rising yields and undersupply are a given, particularly in Sydney and that Falling interest rates are just around the corner. This puts us at about 8 or 9 o'clock and only a tick away from Rising Volumes/Prices...

I think only 12-18 months before we start to see that outcome.

Cheers,
Michael

Francesco,just the way i think back in history...[/FONT]

Willair - I don't think you really answered Francesco's question. What will happen when ASX breaks 7000 to trigger you to start looking at property again?
When ASX gets to 7000 will share investors sell shares and buy properties, thus pushing property prices up? Just curious what your logic is.

Back