Coffee coffee coffee!

Hiya,

Lately I've been making deliberate choices in changing my lifestyle to better suit what I want. Part of that, especially over the last week or so, has been health-related.

Since I was about 19 or so, I've been thriving on all of about four or five hours of sleep each night, an all-nighter thrown in every couple of weeks for good measure.

Funny thing is, I only really started on the caffeine about a year or so ago. Never really liked coffee or red bull type drinks til then, and certainly didn't need them.

But now, an average day sees me sink something like four long blacks, two lattes, and two cans of V (oh, and about two litres of water. Any redemption there?).

Don't get me wrong. I don't just get the caffeine hit to keep me awake. I enjoy consuming these products. But, I also enjoy drinking a lot of other things that are probably better for me (like, beer :D )

So, I'm thinking that it might be about time to cut down on those (except the water, of course) and rely more on natural energy (read: getting fit again) to keep myself moving at a million miles an hour. I used to run ten, sometimes fifteen kilometres a day, five days a week. I reckon I'd struggle with a ten minute jog these days :eek:

We've had plenty of threads on the fitness thing lately, so this isn't meant to be another of those. I guess it's more about sharing this new goal, and, finding out what sort of positive changes everyone else might be making, too...?

Cheers

James.

I've never had to make changes in this regard; just had to work hard (sometimes very hard) at staying motivated to keep doing the right things.

In relation to coffee, I vaguely remember my brother saying (he's a personal trainer) that more than 3 cups of coffee per day has a slowing down effect on your metabolism - harder to burn off kj's and absorb nutrients etc.

I was under the impression that coffee actually sped up one's metabolism. Maybe there's a threshold of that effect up to three cups (standard drinks of caffeine; is there such a measure :confused:) and if more than that, then the opposite occurs.

I was under the impression that coffee actually sped up one's metabolism. Maybe there's a threshold of that effect up to three cups (standard drinks of caffeine; is there such a measure :confused:) and if more than that, then the opposite occurs.

From memory caffeine speeds up your metabolism, but also increases cortisol levels which will break down muscle and make you relatively 'fatter'.

caffeine, if you are a male, damages the glands that make sperm. men with a low fertility count should look to what they eat and drink every day. i have also heard about it increasing your cortisol levels, which further hampers your ability for "fresh start" each morning as your muscles strive to excrete the lactic acid build up from the night before.

my advice? stay well clear of Taurine (V, red bull, mothers etc). it's an organic acid (and incorrectly called an amino acid but it lacks a certain group of proton donors) and is basically the acid in digestive bile...! there's a reason you didn't learn about it in school - it has no place in the average human's dietary requirements.

maybe i could market a drink with horse saliva and say it gives you more "energy"....of course i'll just chock it full of sugar anyway to substantiate the claim - because that's about the gist of it.

i drink MAYBE 2 cups of coffee a week. i drink tea a lot, black and herbal. my caffeine intake from all these is still less than my penchant for 85% dark chocolate - AND i have 3 kids so i really don't care whta happens "down there".

I guess it's more about sharing this new goal, and, finding out what sort of positive changes everyone else might be making, too...?

Cheers

James.

Several things we have started doing:

1. growing vegetables in the backyard
2. no tinned food
3. Avoidance of plastic bottles

Cheers,

The Y-man

3. Avoidance of plastic bottles

you should avoid all plastic packaging in direct contact with food - not only for the environment but for your own health.

plastic is full of xeno-oestrogens - a synthetic hormone that leaches into the food inside the container.

in women it can block your normal oestrogen receptors, which can interfere with menstrual cycles and fertility. if half the women on IVF knew this, IVF as a fertility treatment would be out of practice.

and it's more common that you think.

Several things we have started doing:

1. growing vegetables in the backyard
Cheers,

The Y-man

Any joy on the vegetable growing front ? My father in law tried it a few years back and worked like a dog to get a few tomatoes and bit of lettuce.

I am thinking of starting to growing my own herbs.

Any joy on the vegetable growing front ? My father in law tried it a few years back and worked like a dog to get a few tomatoes and bit of lettuce.

I am thinking of starting to growing my own herbs.

Near self sufficient.... had to buy some "heavy" vegetables the other day for the first time in 6 months.

So far we have had:

Enough wombok/bokchoy/chinese mustard greens for daily use since summer

3-4 heads of large cauliflower

several heads of brocolli

a tub of snow peas per fortnight (during winter)

Silverbeet - coming along nicely

Potatoes - growing

Garlic - growing

Onions - 10 + almost ready for harvest, another 20 + seedlings

Chives - good crop in summer - didn't use a lot of it....

Parsley - growing rampant - attaining weed status in garden

Celery - not very successful - didn't cover up, so got thin and stringy

Eggplant - seems to get eaten by bugs before us

Capsicum (Green, Red and Orange) - surprisingly good crop - grew from
discarded seeds, and has survived the winter

Tomatoes - limited success - seedlings come up everywhere after first run

Lettuce - good round of crop in summer - didn't plant winter round, but seedlings emerging from seeds dropped by summer plants

Sweet potato leaves - awesome crop over summer, has died back despite attempts to keep some seed stock alive through winter under cover.

As for the hard work....all done by the wife :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

Oh ... I see. Would be great to see a pic of your setup. You must have a large yard.

It's actually not that big - I would not have believed the yield from the small patch before my wife started it....

Have attached photo....

Top left hand of picture is original vege patch. We then turned over some lawn on either side of the path leading to the clothes hoist - the right hand side has the chinese greens and caulies. The stakes over the caulies are for snowpeas growing along the edge. The left hand patch is new, and has just been sowed with the next batch of greens. The area next to the fence, to the left of the green compost bin was used for snowpeas and sweet potato leaves, but is currently lying fallow.

The 2 trees are nectarine (centre of photo) and granny smith apples (to the right). Bit harder to see are lemon, dwarf mandarin (nothing so far!), dwarf valencia, dwarf apple trees.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 137
Looks Brilliant ! Nice !!!

We have just planted a lemon myer tree. Herbs will be the next step. We may just then take the plunge into veggies !

Thanks for sharing pic ... it has energised me.

You don't need a big yard to grow vegies - herbs can be grown on your kitchen window sill and you can do certain vegies on your balcony in pots. You're not likely to be self sufficient, but something is better than nothing. My dido used to grow his own vege (he's too old now), man he had the works! It always tasted so yummy as well. Nothing much compares to nice fresh juicy vegies.

Mark

Of course. DINOSAUR steaks are the best. Grilled until black on both sides and served with a beer. Then a bit of manly strutting around the backyard. Perfect!

Mark

Back