'Incompetent' developer of Burnside's Fernilee Lodge jailed

It's time the State Government stepped in & declared all buildings 50 years old Heritage Listed. So when a building reaches the 50 mark, it's automatically listed. This will do 2 things- preserve our rich history, & keep housing costs down, as the flow on effect would be a market created of people who buy houses knowing they must renovate, not detonate, & prevent the excessive profiteering that exists in the Adelaide Housing Market. Keep housing affordable & preserve our history at the same time!!

Posted by: Waldo of Plympton Park 12:58pm today

Jeez, perhaps we should make this guy our state planning minister! Look out Paul Holloway! :rolleyes:

I had my wedding reception there! A beautiful building, and just up from where I live. They should have been jailed for that alone.

Oh dear, Waldo would make those cheap post war 'veteran' houses Heritage listed.

Hey Steve, I made a comment on news.com.au/adelaide about the score card for the Govt on Water issues. So the Advertiser emailed me and asked if I could have my photo taken and it would go on page 2!:eek: I declined, crikey, if I did that, I would actually have to be careful I didnt water when I shouldn't!;)

Last edited:
"Commie, commie, traitor to our country!" :D

Certainly a nice looking block of land! 1.1Ha in Burnside.... mmmmmmmmm.... :)

Ha, go on Pushka, do it! Nah don't blame you, wouldn't want my picture in 'the paper' either.

I had my wedding reception there! A beautiful building, and just up from where I live. They should have been jailed for that alone.

I had my wedding reception at the Hotel Adelaide (now an apartment building). OK, so my marriage didn't end well, but jailing them seems a little harsh to me.

As a developer I have come across some houses marked anti-demo or heritage that shouldn't be but from that photo even stevie wonder would have known perhaps to triple check before demo.

That building was beautiful... lets put it this way even if the developer was allowed i would say 99% of developers still wouldn't have demo... because your lining yourself up for protest and submissions by the locals against "anything" you put up in its place.

HOWEVER... jail????? 12 months was it?... seriously thats a bit of overkill given many people who literally send someone to hospital with a broken skull from a drunken rampage would rarely get something like that?

The problem is I think the courts instinctive reaction of "OH MY GOD YOUR STUPID" and this translated into the harsh punishment....

Oh well... now i know why we are all despised thanks to clever geniuses like this guy.

He wasnt sent to jail for knocking down the building, that was my slant! He was sent to jail for a dodgy development scheme.

Raised money contrary to ASIC rules

"In May, a jury found the duo guilty of 44 breaches of Federal law relating to raising funds for a corporate entity.

In sentencing, Judge Peter Herriman said the duo raised their first $3.5 million in the mistaken belief they were acting lawfully.

They sourced $500,000 more after being told, by authorities, they had broken the law.

"You acted recklessly prior to (the warning) but, from that point onwards, you acted deliberately," he said."

Nothing really to do with the demolition

As far as 'Waldo' I am scratching my head:rolleyes:

Cheers

Gee I wonder why such a beautiful character building was NOT heritage listed? The council needs to take some responsibility for the outcome.

Gee I wonder why such a beautiful character building was NOT heritage listed? The council needs to take some responsibility for the outcome.

Xenia, Burnside Council must have been too busy fluffing about rejecting all the small development claims. One of my clients has spent about 2yrs fighting them to get his PPOR plans approved. Ended up taking them to court and also tipping the balance of power on the council by funding a few of his own candidates (Burnside Council picked the wrong person to pi$$ off!).

In the end they were rejecting his application because he had moss rocks planned for his land which meant they would be taken from their natural environment. :rolleyes:

Ha ha, that's so typical Steve!

We just purchased a new development site and negotiating on another 2 at the moment. one suggestion I put forward to my business partners is to get a court order for development before council approval. That means that the councils will be taken to court before they even see the applications (on the assumption that they will find something petty to reject the appliacation like they always do).

Anyone who has been through the process before would know how petty councils can be and some of us don't have time to stuff around with them. ;)

Yeah I've heard a few people say that's the way to go now Xenia. Time is definitely money!

As a matter of interest, are you still focusing on the inner Western suburbs?

This is happening in Melbourne and more recently in Brisbane... its really shameful that there is a situation where its easier, cheaper to go through the courts..

I have heard developers submit to court the same day they submit to council because it will take council to reply with "crap" roughly the same time it takes to get a hearing with the "court".

I personally have only known of developers going to court on (da amendments) i.e. council simply choosing to refuse to re-look at developments once approved?

The real reason behind the courts is this... council prefers it. They prefer the "ultimate" decision to be the courts so they shed any future risk and liability accruing from the decision..

Planning in Australia is broken.. literally

Ha ha, that's so typical Steve!

We just purchased a new development site and negotiating on another 2 at the moment. one suggestion I put forward to my business partners is to get a court order for development before council approval. That means that the councils will be taken to court before they even see the applications (on the assumption that they will find something petty to reject the appliacation like they always do).

Anyone who has been through the process before would know how petty councils can be and some of us don't have time to stuff around with them. ;)

Back