Melton Vic.

I have lived in Melbourne for a long time and bought and sold property so here is my two bobs worth on Melton. If you want a local view talk to locals I got really badly burnt on real estate purchase years ago because I was an out of towner.

Congrats to those of you who have made money out of Melton over the past couple of years, however all ships come up on a rising tide. We had a look at Melton a couple of years back and whilst I admit it has risen in price since then, haven't most areas? I think better capital gains could be found elsewhere. For NSW investors it probably approxiamates Penrith. There is going to be a lot people sitting on flat growth for years to come because the demographics are pretty low ball.

I laugh when I see interstate investors ask why it is so cheap, well here's the drum:

1 Lotsa seperated families
2 It's a good drive from Melbourne
3 Satellite town, hence not being squeezed with growth
4 When the other suburbs arrive it will still be a hole
5 The race for investment with loose credit will always allow towns like Melton to boom in good times
6 What about all those dudes who bought +ve geared properties in mining towns before commodity prices tanked. They're probably the same wackers that have bought in Melton.

Never lose sight of fundamentals guys, crap property is always crap property the real test is when you try to sell it in a downturn.

Cheers All

I'm confused, ... you sort of said in a polite-ish way that I'm a total wacker ..... thanks ... appreciate that. I think you might have missed your true calling as a motivational speaker.

We have 2 x IP's in Melton and have had them for a few years now ... My wife and I also own many other IP's spread around the country, ..... We've been buying real estate as an investment since 1986. We take many months doing research before buying and Melton fits what we were looking for at the time and still does .... Melton may not meet your criteria, but it will meet someone's and you need to understand that.

We may not all fit into the "BobbyGee school of real estate investing" and while I'm sure many here will hang off your every word (nah, I'm only joking about that bit), you need to show some respect to those that have invested in the area as they have at least taken steps to secure their future.

This site is all about discussing and giving your opinions and constructive views and everyone encourages that. Much of what you wrote was valid... Just keep the derogatory comments to yourself and respect other investors and potential investors using this site.

Maybe try thinking before typing.

Martin .... :D

everyones entitled to their opinion, even if its very negative
not surprised given that BGs been burnt badly
For me i got 6 in Melton
probably netted me more than 250K in cap growth alone in last 2 years
admittedly bought well when ppl were passing them up
yields 7-8% +ve CF
reasonable depreciation
all up 8-10% returns
never been empty
good tenants

to each its own but i love Melton and have seen it change and will continue to grow in the next 10 years no doubt
atm <180K props are hard to find in reasonable condition and most will have to venture into the 200K to find a decent prop which i think atm may be too much

Very interesting Bobby Gee!

You seem to know a lot....would love to hear where you have bought and your successes?

By the way I bought in Melton South for 155k (3 Bd 1 bth)....It is now worth 185-190k....so I must be one of the luck ones. ;)

I laugh when I see interstate investors ask why it is so cheap, well here's the drum:

1 Lotsa seperated families
2 It's a good drive from Melbourne
3 Satellite town, hence not being squeezed with growth
4 When the other suburbs arrive it will still be a hole
5 The race for investment with loose credit will always allow towns like Melton to boom in good times
6 What about all those dudes who bought +ve geared properties in mining towns before commodity prices tanked. They're probably the same wackers that have bought in Melton.

Never lose sight of fundamentals guys, crap property is always crap property the real test is when you try to sell it in a downturn.

Cheers All

Cheap buys, you beauty - Sun Herald by Natalie Tkaczuk Sikora

Dandenong, Epping, Frankston and Melton may be regarded as cheap "Ugly Duckling" locations, but experts are convinced they are Victoria's real estate hotspots and tipped to become swans.

Real estate analysts reckon that if you can overlook the stigma associated with these undervalued suburbs, snapping up a property could be one of the best decisions you make.

The not-so-awesome Victorian foursome have just been named in the National Top 12 Ugly Duckling Hotspots by hotspotting.com.au.

National property researcher Terry Ryder said Ugly Duckling suburbs offered the best growth prospects in the current property market.

"The Ugly Duckling of the fairytale was considered unappealing because those around it didn't understand what it was before it evolved into a graceful swan," Mr Ryder said.

"Likewise, there are property locations with similar qualities.

"They are considered unattractive by those looking through uneducated eyes, but they also have the potential to transform into something completely different and highly appealing."

With ongoing interest rate reductions and big increases in the First-Home Owners Grant, buyers need to focus even more intensely on the cheaper areas of our major cities as they will deliver the best future price growth.

Almost all of the top suburbs have typical property prices below or about $300,000.

Dandenong's $1 billion rail upgrade, EastLink tollway, $250 million Metro Village and its Transit Cities program are the key qualities earning the suburb its place in the Top 12.

Epping and Frankston, which have median house prices of $290,000, also out-ranked neighbouring suburbs.

Epping's $500 million Craigieburn bypass and $600 million Plenty Valley Town Centre made this suburb a good investment.

Frankston's foreshore development, 300-berth marina, its CBD project and the $700 million Frankston bypass earned its place as an up-and-coming hotspot.

Melton also made the grade with its $15 billion Melton growth plan, $330 million Deer Park bypass, Western Freeway upgrade and strong population growth.

Typical prices of $190,000 to $230,000 also made it one of the most affordable booming suburbs.

Mr Ryder said the trick for successful investors was to identify locations that had "big kickers" to outperform the market in coming years.

These include major projects and government initiatives that generate economic activity, jobs, improved lifestyle and community appeal and, most importantly, convenient transport links.

"Public transport, especially train connections to cities, is now arguably the biggest driver of price growth in Australian real estate, and plays an important role in the future prospects of all Ugly Ducklings," he said.

Examples of transformed Ugly Ducklings throughout Australian cities include Richmond in Melbourne, Balmain in Sydney and Bulimba in Brisbane, which have evolved into trendy, highly sought-after residential locations.

"For property buyers, the challenge is to get into these areas before they are discovered and prices take off," he said.

Interesting article where at the bottom of the page it shows Toorak v Melton in regards to gains/decline for the 6 months to September 2008. It shows Melton's median has grown 6%, ..... not bad in a difficult market. whereas Tooraks declined 24%.

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,24610167-5013951,00.html

I can not take credit for finding this information it was provided in another thread, but I can't remember which one, .... if the contributor is reading this ... thank you

Martin

I would just tread lightly in Melton. I am work in the area (live closely) and i am a keen investor but Melton wouldnt be getting any of my money in a hurry. The University getting shifted to Sunbury will see alot of the quality youth in the town moved away, the information that i have gained in respect to the large influx of African migrants over the next few years (on top of the already growing amount) wont help prices and the ever increasing rate of crime, teenage pregnancy and gang violence and isnt exactly a bonus either. I am all for people making their own decisons and i can see why Melton can tick boxes for alot of people but personally- i wont be going near it. I am friends with a local policeman who has worked in a number of stations and tells me that Melton is the worst town alongside corio that he has worked at.

Hmmm very interesting! I live in Sunbury and it's all in the local papers etc about the Victoria University closing here. Might need to check the facts about the uni situ.

I must admit I'm cooling a bit on Melton but for other reasons. I think it's still got promise but not for quite what we want.

African migrants?

Sorry if my info is wrong about the Uni going to Sunbury but it has been all over my local paper that the Melton Uni was closing and i thought i read something about classes being moved to Sunbury but i could have been mistaken for where they are to be moved to. I know that there has been local picketing about the closure of the Uni and whether or not the classes are moved to Sunbury, Footscray or somewhere totally different doesnt really matter- (they just wont be in Melton which is a downfall).

Thanks for the heads up though casserole dish.

My Policeman mate said that they are apparently going to have a big influx of Sudanese to the area in the next year or two and there is government housing planned to supply the migrants? I dont know details but the local police are biting their nails at the possible problems this will bring. There have been many racial attacks and problems in the past 12 months (both from the Africans and against) and local authorities are very worried about what more migrants will bring. Alongside this there has also been a strong focus on 3 local gangs that have been at the centre of many assaults, theft and drug charges. Many local youths have been either taken to youth detention or put on home curfews. Pretty scary stuff in my opinion

No worries. I meant I needed to look into the uni's a bit more as it will be affecting us here in Sunbury, not you neccessarily. But it's still good to hear what you've heard as it seems us nobodies who live local are the last to know!

I can see the Melton side of things getting messy if there is to be a large groups in the community trying to fit in/unemployed/bored etc. Certainly worth thinking about. Thanks for the information.

Like I said we have more or less choosen a different way to go (unit somewhere really close or in the city). But will still watch Melton carefully, maybe for future but maybe not...

Ouch... being compared to corio is an awful thing. I love Geelong but corio is one hell of a hole and in no way a compliment. By the way I'm not making any personal comment here, I've never been to Melton but live in Pt Cook and own IPs in Werribee & Wyndham Vale so I've long kept my eye on Melton as an option.

I might head out this weekend and take a look.

Regarding the uni closures, here's the story that I've found:

http://melton-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/vic-uni-to-close-melton-campus1/

Thanks for the link. From what I read we are taking end 2010 and consolidation at Werribee, Sunshine and St Albans at the loss of Sunbury and Melton.

Well all three of the consolidated sites are within 20 minutes of Melton and in the case of Sunshine on direct rail link. Does not seem that bad to me from a service point of view. Our nearest uni is 40minus away, at the same sites.

And if offered more incentive ( read cash) I am sure the Uni would "reconsider":rolleyes:

Peter

My Policeman mate said that they are apparently going to have a big influx of Sudanese to the area in the next year or two and there is government housing planned to supply the migrants? I dont know details but the local police are biting their nails at the possible problems this will bring. There have been many racial attacks and problems in the past 12 months (both from the Africans and against) and local authorities are very worried about what more migrants will bring. Alongside this there has also been a strong focus on 3 local gangs that have been at the centre of many assaults, theft and drug charges. Many local youths have been either taken to youth detention or put on home curfews. Pretty scary stuff in my opinion

I agree here.

Large scale Government Housing does cause social chaos and the associated problems. I would hope lessons learnt from the past are noted and a mix of style, location and density is applied. I am, however, sceptical.

Yet social housing has to go somewhere and as Melton is a defined grwoth centre. So as Melton grows the density should be diluted and intergration achieved. Again, I would like to know the plans.

Thanks for the heads up.

Peter 14.7

Melton Growth

Hi Melton investors, I read in API magagine that the meltons median price has grown up 12.5% in 2008. Also researched realestate.com.au to varify the house prices. It looked like price has gone up. The current median price is 205K. I checked the houses under 200k, found mostly very old and needing a lot of renos. Also the rent is going up. I am very happy that I bought one IP in melton Last year. Any experience? welcome.

Thank you.

Suraj,

I agree..Melton has been growly steadily. I suspect with the FHOG, the prices should push the median to 220-230k this year as the lower priced property gets snapped up.

Whilst I think Melton has grown....I think it has grown something like 8% instead of 12.5%.

Hi Melton investors, I read in API magagine that the meltons median price has grown up 12.5% in 2008. Also researched realestate.com.au to varify the house prices. It looked like price has gone up. The current median price is 205K. I checked the houses under 200k, found mostly very old and needing a lot of renos. Also the rent is going up. I am very happy that I bought one IP in melton Last year. Any experience? welcome.

Thank you.

Back