Putting downlights in concrete roof

Hey everyone,

I have really ugly light fittings in my townhouse at the moment and would like to put in downlights. The problem is my roof is concrete so you cant physicaly get in the roof

At the moment the hole in the roof has a diamater of 8 - 10cm.

Is there any easy way to install downlights? If not what would be the best way to go for an attractive light fitting?

Thanks for your help!

How about fittings that have muiltiply downlight

Attachments

• WAC-M-KITS.jpg
    WAC-M-KITS.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 277
What do you mean by your roof (ceiling) already has a hole 8-10cm?
Is there one hole recessed into the ceiling in the centre of the room?
How deep?

Have a look at "Crompton EX4D", nice frosted glass oyster light 40cm diameter surface mount, with silver trim. inside are 2x ES lampholders, so you can put 2 ugly energy saver screw in globes behind that thick frosted glass, so they aren't visible. Very neat and easy and only about $20 each.
Available at AWM. Similar types also at Beacon etc.

What do you mean by your roof (ceiling) already has a hole 8-10cm?
Is there one hole recessed into the ceiling in the centre of the room?
How deep?

Theres 2 holes at either end of the ceiling allowing the current fixtures to be inserted into the ceiling . Not to sure how deep havent had a look yet., wouldnt be very deep though, less then 5cm I'd say

Concentrating on the bathroom first but have found a lighting auction tomorrow that has some very nice and well priced downlights. I'm guessing I should give them a miss though

Looks like you wont be able to use down lights unless you install a false ceiling to allow for space.

You said your existing ceiling is low so that's not on. Looks like you need track lighting or an oyster fitting as has been suggested.

I find pretty much all track lighting ugly but there are some nice oysters around. Go to a lighting shop to get some ideas within the limitations of your townhouse.

Theres 2 holes at either end of the ceiling allowing the current fixtures to be inserted into the ceiling . Not to sure how deep havent had a look yet., wouldnt be very deep though, less then 5cm I'd say

Concentrating on the bathroom first but have found a lighting auction tomorrow that has some very nice and well priced downlights. I'm guessing I should give them a miss though

Have a look at "Crompton EX4D", nice frosted glass oyster light 40cm diameter surface mount, with silver trim. inside are 2x ES lampholders, so you can put 2 ugly energy saver screw in globes behind that thick frosted glass, so they aren't visible. Very neat and easy and only about $20 each.
Available at AWM. Similar types also at Beacon etc.

Thanks for that!

I did a quick search then and do like the look of the Crompton light fixtured

uplights

Some house benefit from wall mounted scallop lighting which reflect light off the ceiling. Tese work better in smaller rooms, but are VERY effective, and poduce a really nice soft light feel to the room

good luck

Hey gecho1,

One problem with that sorts of lights is that they cast shadows across the ceiling, which will reveal a lot of the imperfections in the finish. And just on a side note, the majority of those imperfections won't be covered by building warranty as the warranty usually only covers imperfections visible under natural sunlight.

Cheers.

The problem with installing wall lights in flats is its very difficult to get cables to them without being obvious. Especially with most flats having rendered brick walls and a cement ceiling.

You have to chase the walls/ceiling and its not worth the trouble for a few lights.

Back