Duplex - who pays for what?

On a duplex where there is no body corporate, to what extent are both parties liable for costs? Both share building insurance, but what about fences, driveways, roofing, other? Is there some regulation regarding who pays for what in Queensland? Or is it a case of "it's on your side, so you fix it"

Seeka

We own a duplex half in WA.

Everything is halved unless it is specific to one half and doesn't effect the other.

We have our own insurance for the half we own.

Does that help? I can give you specifics or examples if you want them.

On a duplex where there is no body corporate, to what extent are both parties liable for costs? Both share building insurance, but what about fences, driveways, roofing, other? Is there some regulation regarding who pays for what in Queensland? Or is it a case of "it's on your side, so you fix it"

Seeka

If there is no body corp then it must be entirely owned by you - or someone else? If you strata a duplex in NSW then you have to set up a BC structure. You must strata to sell one half of the duplex but do not need to strata if you own the both.

I was under the impression that in Queensland, if the duplex is strata tiltled (community title now) you dont need a BC.:confused:

Maybe I thought this was due to the number of dwellings being not greater than 2.

But I agree that if there is no body corporate, then who is responsible for costs to the common areas to the lot. (i.e. damaged fence / leeter box, driveway, carports, even mowing and garden maintenance to common areas? etc.)

Cheers,

If it is a duplex then there is no body corporate as there is no common areas. You own one half and are responsible for all repairs etc.

Obviously it makes sense to agree with the other party so that uniformity is maintained.

I've seen some weird pictures of semis where one half is original brick and red tile roof, and the other side is rendered cream with green colourbond roof. Looks very strange.
Marg

If it is a duplex then there is no body corporate as there is no common areas. You own one half and are responsible for all repairs etc.

Hi Marg,
How can there be no common areas? At least there will be some underground services for one unit which crosses over the yard of the other unit? What happens when you need to dig up the neighbours yard or driveway to fix a broken sevice pipe? And what about the common dividing wall if attached or common driveways? And insurance issues?
Do you own a duplex?

Cheers, RS :)

I looked a bit further and came up with the attached sheet issued by the Department of Justice regarding duplexes. It suggests that even if the owners aren't aware of it, they must be part of a Body Corporate (except in rare cases) and so similar rules apply as to other Community Management Schemes.

The regulations for Body Corporates are clear, but with only two lot owners, I guess you'd have to hone up on your negotiating skills if you want to have harmonious co-ownership.

Obviously it makes sense to agree with the other party so that uniformity is maintained.

I've seen some weird pictures of semis where one half is original brick and red tile roof, and the other side is rendered cream with green colourbond roof. Looks very strange.
Marg

Given the number of duplexes that exist, I am surprised that more aren't as varied as those that you mention. :eek:

Seeka

Attachments

• Owning_a_duplex.jpg
    Owning_a_duplex.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 763
According to the fact sheet issued by the Dept of Justice, it seems in Qld that even if you manage to get individual insurance, then it may be invalid as the building/s must be insured under one policy by the Body corporate.

We own a duplex half in WA.

Everything is halved unless it is specific to one half and doesn't effect the other.

We have our own insurance for the half we own.

Does that help? I can give you specifics or examples if you want them.

Yes, would be interested in examples of costs that involved both owners, and how you managed it.

Seeka

Obviously QLD law is different to WA.

Each half has it's own services, power, water etc, so each half is responsible for their own repairs.

We needed to install new guttering along the front of house, other side also needs repairs. We spoke to them, organised a convenient time for both parties, got a quote, got that signed off by other owners, went ahead and split the bill 50/50. No issue really. If they had objected we would have just down our half.

I have never had any trouble with insurance. The insurer knows it is half the house.

Just don't really see a problem

Each half has it's own services, power, water etc, so each half is responsible for their own repairs.

Just don't really see a problem

Do you have easements surrounding the services so that you have access to dig up the neighbours garden or driveway when repairs need to be carried out to your service line? I know that this is unlikely but strata subdivided units do share service connections - unlike a true subdivision which has its own seperate connection within its lot.

Example of strata/duplex setup attached.

Attachments

• Strata Services.doc
    29 KB · Views: 376
Hi Rockstar

No, I don't own a duplex for the very reasons mentioned above. The only one I seriously considered was entirely contained within half of the land, all services etc were on the one half. Apart from the common central wall, it was completely self-contained from the one next door with its own water, drainage and sewer connections.

But I could not get past the possibility of the other half being allowed to go to rack and ruin and dragging down the value of the property. Naturally I have had reason to drive past from time to time over the years and both sides have been well-maintained!!
Marg

Yeah Marg,

For this reason too I have built detached units so that each one stands alone. Although there are services that pass through each units garden/driveway areas as most blocks of land have only one point for services in our area. You could install seperate service points for each unit but it would be quite costly.

But I could not get past the possibility of the other half being allowed to go to rack and ruin and dragging down the value of the property. Naturally I have had reason to drive past from time to time over the years and both sides have been well-maintained!! Marg

Above is the reason we decided to build a duplex with our daughter as we would own second unit to maintain control and she can live in her unit.

Sheryn

Back