brand newie looking for advice

Hi every one, i've been thinking and researching for sometime now, pondering weather to take the plunge and invest in property, i am in my early 40s and have paid off the dreaded house loan and have just received a large windfall which is sitting in the bank not doing much and i am wanting to do much more with it,i am an electrician with a building back ground, i have bought several property's before in the UK of which i refurbed with the intension of making money and it went well, mind you i bought at the right time, would like to invest in new builds but then again would like to buy to rent but not to sure, at the moment i am an employee and pay $20.000+ in tax and would like to reduce this.my main goal is to retire in 10 years time with security for my family. this is my first posting on any forum so i hope i don't come across as to forward, hope you can help. regards peter.

Emptyhead,

You don't come across as too forward so don't worry about that. Best bit of advice would be to not ask too many questions after a big horse race, because you could get any old answers! :)

But seriously, we would basically all recommend on this forum that you buy property, because most of us are strongly pro property.

As a starting point I would go to a good broker, or good bank manager if you have one you can rely on, and get an idea from them what you can borrow and what the cashflow and tax implications of buying an investment property would be.

You will find with interest rates where they are now, the negative cashflow aspect should be quite minimal if you buy right, and a good broker should be able to structure things right with buffers built in so you have a back up in the event of a problem.

With this sort of information to hand, you could then look around with confidence, knowing how much you can spend and knowing what rental to look for to maintain your cashflow to your preferred standard.

Good luck!

Noel

Hi all
We too are looking at buying our 1st IP, having almost paid off the homeloan. A couple of people have told us we are best off buying a brand new place, as tax cuts and depreciation will be better. We are not handy nor do we have the time to renovate anything a bit rundown. What are others thoughts on the need to buy brand new??

Welcome

Set a strategy in what you are trying to achieve

saving tax is of course one aspect, but should be secondary to the overall investment goal which for you is ? more money in retirement etc ??

ta
rolf

thanks property people,b/manager or broker does seem to be the best starting point, what things do you look for to class them has being good or bad??? also is it has turtle mentioned above,,,more of an advantage to invest in new

thanks property people,b/manager or broker does seem to be the best starting point, what things do you look for to class them has being good or bad??? also is it has turtle mentioned above,,,more of an advantage to invest in new

Yes I am still waiting for an answer there emptyhead. I understand about the importance of location, but is the investor better off to buy brand new? We are looking at a home in a soon to be open display village. We will have guaranteed rent for 2 years. Has anyone had any experience doing this, your thoughts/suggestions?? please.

..... but is the investor better off to buy brand new?
Depends on "where". If it is brand new in a brand new land release - No, in my opinion. If it is brand new in an infill site in an older established area - Yes, possibly.

We are looking at a home in a soon to be open display village.
.....groans

We will have guaranteed rent for 2 years.
Haven't you learnt anything about rental guarantees yet? :rolleyes:
They are designed to calm nervous investors.
You pay for them in the price of the product you are buying.
You may get a nasty shock after the rent returns to normal market rates after the 2 years.
The rental guarantee is often given by a $2 shelf company and there is nothing to get if you need to activate your guarantee within the 2 year period.
If the property is any good at all, then it should be able to stand on its own 2 feet and rent properly - otherwise you may be buying a dud investment that will cripple your leapfrogging plans to build a property portfolio.

Has anyone had any experience doing this, your thoughts/suggestions?? please.
Read up some more. Study harder. Ask more Q's BEFORE you commit your own hard earned + borrowed funds.

Thanks Propertunity... All food for thought and part of the research process. Makes sense what you are saying
Cheers

Depends on "where". If it is brand new in a brand new land release - No, in my opinion. If it is brand new in an infill site in an older established area - Yes, possibly.

.....groans

Haven't you learnt anything about rental guarantees yet? :rolleyes:
They are designed to calm nervous investors.
You pay for them in the price of the product you are buying.
You may get a nasty shock after the rent returns to normal market rates after the 2 years.
The rental guarantee is often given by a $2 shelf company and there is nothing to get if you need to activate your guarantee within the 2 year period.
If the property is any good at all, then it should be able to stand on its own 2 feet and rent properly - otherwise you may be buying a dud investment that will cripple your leapfrogging plans to build a property portfolio.

Read up some more. Study harder. Ask more Q's BEFORE you commit your own hard earned + borrowed funds.

Hi all
We too are looking at buying our 1st IP, having almost paid off the homeloan. A couple of people have told us we are best off buying a brand new place, as tax cuts and depreciation will be better. We are not handy nor do we have the time to renovate anything a bit rundown. What are others thoughts on the need to buy brand new??

Not sure if there's any extra tax breaks - please tell me I'm wrong someone ?!

Depreciation is obviously higher... I'll find out in a couple of weeks

my main goal is to retire in 10 years time with security for my family.

Peter, this is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses. It maybe of interest to you as it suits what you are wanting to achieve and in the time frame you want to do it in.

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis.

I've basically been purchasing an IP per year. Currently we're into year 9 of this 10 year plan and to date we've built a multi $million property portfolio spread across Australia.

We've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property for several reasons, the main ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ To maximise my Non-Cash deductions
2/ To minimise my maintenance & repair costs
3/ More modern & Attractive to tenants - thereby minimising potential vacancy rates
4/ Ask a higher rent - thereby Maximising yields

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I preferr to purchase Townhouses & Villas with a 30% or greater land component thereby eliminating multi story units or high rise apartments, for several reasons. The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant
2/ lower purchase or entry level into a Higher capital growth suburb area
3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest group of people to ever be born (being the Babyboomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years. They will be wanting to downsize for the following main reasons - lifestyle & economic.
4/ greater tax advantages & effectiveness thus maximises cashflow.
5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio - thereby minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies the area and people like the looks so move in creating demand.

I have found this works well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cashflow will be serviced via Wages in the acquisition stage, Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure, and any other forms of income you have available.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systmatically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. Infact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well that’s the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once set up & structured correctly it’s a self perpetuating source of
tax free income indexed for life!

For further information please follow the link to this "We've Done it" thread I started some time back.

If you require any clarifications just ask.

Rixter, very cool and inspiring stratergy. I guess if you bought 10 properties in 5 years it would still work along the same principle!

hi again, can any one recommend an advisor, thanks peter.

Here is one of the best places to be for "advisors".

Of course, you should take all that is said on board, and make your own decisions.

By the way; don't ever invest to "minimise tax".

This is only one factor in the strategy. So, when you buy, it is a good idea to look for something built after 1987 to maximise the depreciation on the property.

Buying something around 5 years old is adviseable; it has been on the market long enough to have similar comparables nearby to give it the correct value (brand new ones are often inflated to make the builder a margin), and it still has loads of depreciation.

Peter, this is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses. It maybe of interest to you as it suits what you are wanting to achieve and in the time frame you want to do it in.

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis.

I've basically been purchasing an IP per year. Currently we're into year 9 of this 10 year plan and to date we've built a multi $million property portfolio spread across Australia.

Great post Rix. Kudos sent.

Surely it can't be this easy?? ;)

aah, but we know the answer to that one!

Rixter, very cool and inspiring stratergy. I guess if you bought 10 properties in 5 years it would still work along the same principle!

Yes monsoon, also if some one is in a financial position to that, exactly! At my post mentions, its 'time in' the market that provides you the maximum exposure to capital growth.

The overall objective is to build your portfolio by acquiring good quality well located property as fast and as quickly as you can reasonable afford, then never never ever ever sell.

Hope this helps.

thanks Rixter, what a great reply, most certainly has me thinking about this solution.

No problems. We have a few things in common too - Wanting to achieve the same thing in the same time frame, starting around same age and basically owned my own home plus an electrician by trade like you. :)

Just Joe Average working for the average wage.

Back