No invoice received -

Had some maintenance work done at IP in October that cost $2600. Promptly paid the amount discussed on the phone but haven't yet received an invoice for the work despite numerous requests for one. If I can't get the business to send me the invoice, where do I stand at Tax time?
Thanks

recipient created tax invoice may fix your pickle

Nice try and my first thought was "brilliant" as RCTIs are used quite extensively in the building industry, however, then I remembered there are rules around their use and I suspect that the OPs situation would fall outside of these.:(

The rules are:
RCTIs can only be issued by a recipient if:

* the recipient and the supplier are both registered for GST

* the sales for which the recipient can issue a RCTI are agreed to in writing by the recipient and the supplier either in a separate written agreement specifying the supplies to which each agreement relates or embedding this information or specific terms, as outlined in the Legislative Instrument, in the tax invoices they issue

* the agreement is current and effective when the RCTI is issued

* the goods or services being sold under the agreement are of the type that we have determined can be invoiced using RCTIs.

See http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/50913.htm

Bottom line: you need to go back to the supplier and get a Tax Invoice

im glad someone is on the ball............now to get my paperwork in order!

On a tangent, in this specific circumstance there are 2 issues here, one is GST , one is proving that you spent the money so you can get a deduction. I wonder how you go claiming a dedn in the instance of where the supplier refuses to issue a receipt or invoice for whatever rea

ta
rolf

Last time we didn't get an invoice ... quote ... anything ... we didn't pay. That was 6 months ago. If they don't want their money, I don't mind.

I would just claim the costs anyway. You will only need an invoice if audited and then you will be able to prove you paid with the bank transfer or other proof. Just make a diary note of the business/person and their ABN etc.

It was the issue around tax time that I wasn't sure of. Will certainly claim and keep details as suggested although I have finally been sent an email stating the amount was received. It is not an official invoice and doesn't have an ABN included on the email but given that it will only be a problem if required to prove the expense during an audit, then I won't press it further because I may need to use this business again. Won't pay until invoice received next time though. Thanks for your info.

Another question regarding invoices:
Have also had other work done (by a different business) where the final cost was $50 more than originally quoted, due to the time lapse between the original quote and the time the work was commissioned. This business issues paperwork that is headed 'quote/invoice'. Is is valid to change the total amount on this quote/invoice to reflect the increase of $50? Business reckons that the invoice hasn't changed... though we agreed by email on the increased amount. :confused:

and if you feel really aggrieved dob them in to the ATO. doing a cashy is one thing, but taking your cash and forcing a cashy on you is another

Another question regarding invoices:
Have also had other work done (by a different business) where the final cost was $50 more than originally quoted, due to the time lapse between the original quote and the time the work was commissioned. This business issues paperwork that is headed 'quote/invoice'. Is is valid to change the total amount on this quote/invoice to reflect the increase of $50? Business reckons that the invoice hasn't changed... though we agreed by email on the increased amount. :confused:

you should only pay the amount stated on the invoice
if they don't want to amend original amount to reflect the increase, just pay the original amount. if they want they extra 50 dollars the will eventually create another invoice for the remainder.

with regards to validity of changes it will depend whether this invoice has been reported to ATO in a BAS statement or not. usually it's much simpler to create an adjustment note/second invoice

Thanks for the advice all. In the second instance I have paid as suggested the amount on the original invoice and will await an amended invoice before any further payments are made.

On further point though about the validity of invoices. Given it is would be so easy to falsely create an invoice identical to the one that the company would issue by email, if an audit did happen how 'deep' would the ATO go in cross referencing that the invoice is in fact authentic? I am not advocating falsification of invoices, just curious about the process.

Can you imagine how time consuming it would be for the ATO to cross check each invoice? Even on an audit it would be very rare for them to do this I would think.

it's not that hard.
they just send a request for this information to the companies that issued invoices. not that hard to do.

i was preparing brochures for print with my local printer once and heard him ranting about ATO requesting this info from him because they were auditing one of his clients, and how he has to waste time on this.

now in practice they might not cross check all the invoices, only pick the suspicious ones, but they definitely do it.

Along similar lines to this, what happens if you get an invoice that is dated 3 months after the work was done, and on the date of the invoice/date of payment the property is no longer IP but PPOR?

I had some work done on my IP that I requested in September, was carried out late September, and last week I rang them asking where the invoice and plans that I was supposed to be sent were - obviously I was forgotten, should have not done the right thing and rung them!! So they have now sent me an invoice ($1600), but have dated it 21 December. I moved into the house early December, so at the moment when I pay the bill it is PPOR, not IP. Do I need to get an invoice with the date the work was carried out itemised on it somewhere?

I would just claim the costs anyway. You will only need an invoice if audited and then you will be able to prove you paid with the bank transfer or other proof. Just make a diary note of the business/person and their ABN etc.
That's the only way to look at it,i have always done the same as long as you have a bank transfer statement,and the quote on paper with their abn number then from what my acountant told me,the rest is up too the ATO to do their job..imho..willair..

Along similar lines to this, what happens if you get an invoice that is dated 3 months after the work was done, and on the date of the invoice/date of payment the property is no longer IP but PPOR?

I had some work done on my IP that I requested in September, was carried out late September, and last week I rang them asking where the invoice and plans that I was supposed to be sent were - obviously I was forgotten, should have not done the right thing and rung them!! So they have now sent me an invoice ($1600), but have dated it 21 December. I moved into the house early December, so at the moment when I pay the bill it is PPOR, not IP. Do I need to get an invoice with the date the work was carried out itemised on it somewhere?

Pipsal,
You can a) ask the supplier to date the invoice as September (which would be a drama because it will fall under the previous BAS quarter, b) ask them to date it 1st October to avoid the problem mentioned in "a", or c) have them include a description on the invoice stating that the work was done during September. This would be sufficient proof to the ATO in regards to your issue.

Boods

Back