Bathroom

I'm buying an old flat, and i don't want to do a complete bathroom reno.I was thinking of having the tiles painted and bath resurface.
Has any one ever had this done ? how good is it really.
Thanks

Ive had my bathtub resurfaced in my IP back in Nov 2009.

The photos on the websites by anyone who offers bathtub resurfacing makes the bath look brand spanking new.

In reality, resurfacing is repainting and it shows.

For an IP its fine. But if i was living in it, i would either

1. Not bother doing anything at all.
2. Redo the whole bathroom.

I didnt bother resurfacing the tiles, because some were coming loose (liquid nails are awesome for sticking tiles back on for cheap :p).

I figured if i resprayed the tiles it and it came off, the tenant is going to complain and ill have to get it re-done. Seeing there was nothing wrong with the tiles (other than it being an ugly pink) i left it as is.

I only sprayed the bathtub because there was a massive rust spot in the middle (which the respray covered up nicely :))

The price i got was $650 for the bathtub. For the tiles it was going to $2000 to $2500. Bringing the grand total to about $2,650 to $3,150.

Hi Jillian,

I have clients who use this method of tile/bath resurfacing all the time - and everyone so far has been happy with the result. Sounds like neK has had a bad expereicne which is a real shame - but don't let that put you off. It certainly is a great way to update your bathroom. Perhaps when you're selecting the applicator, ask for a few references of people you can call (recent clients and maybe one from a few years back so you can find out how it is wearing).

Another way to update your bathroom of course is to replace the vanity which you can do for a few hundred dollars ($400 - $500 will get you a nice one).

Also, remember to consider your lighting. This is a very under-estimated part of renovating in general but an inexpensive spot light or heat lamp/light combo can make all the difference to the look of the bathroom (a warm coloured light in a bathroom is better as it is more flattering and the effect of the surfaces is much softer).

I hope that helps!

Thanks,interesting to hear from other.
The unit needs a new kitchen. I plan to knock down the kitchnette wall, and open up into small lounge room.
I was told a long time ago by a good tradesman "that you should always up date kitchen and bathroom at the same time".So I just might have to do this. I'm thinking of getting a flat pack kitchen ,and getting tradsmans to do the labour. In the bathroom I will keep the same lay out. I don't want to spend too much as the unit doesn't have secure parking etc, and is very old, but in very good location, and should get good rent. So I suppose I'm not looking at the real bottom of the rental market. Therefore a certain level of reno is needed. Not too high or too much. Because some years in the future I wouldn't be surprise if developers come knocking.
So I have to do some thinking to find the right balance with the reno.

Ive had my bathtub resurfaced in my IP back in Nov 2009.

The price i got was $650 for the bathtub. For the tiles it was going to $2000 to $2500. Bringing the grand total to about $2,650 to $3,150.

Depends where you are, you can be a brand new bath for $150. I think it is much better doing this.

Cheers,

f

I would spend the money and get a new basin. We had a basin re-surfaced and it just didn't wear well. Tenants don't really look after things like we do.

The new bath is a good idea, but in the case of the re-surfacing of the basin, the bath was re-surfaced too and it did last pretty well. It was too difficult to pull the old bath out without having to re-tile, so resurfacing was the better option in this particular case.

In our first PPOR we paid huge money to have a claw foot bath and old cast iron pedestal basin resurfaced by one of the "boutique" (eg. expensive) places in Brisbane. Turns out it was sprayed with car paint. Lasted about a month. What a lesson that was.

I would spend the money and get a new basin. We had a basin re-surfaced and it just didn't wear well. Tenants don't really look after things like we do.

The new bath is a good idea, but in the case of the re-surfacing of the basin, the bath was re-surfaced too and it did last pretty well. It was too difficult to pull the old bath out without having to re-tile, so resurfacing was the better option in this particular case.

In our first PPOR we paid huge money to have a claw foot bath and old cast iron pedestal basin resurfaced by one of the "boutique" (eg. expensive) places in Brisbane. Turns out it was sprayed with car paint. Lasted about a month. What a lesson that was.

I guess depends on other things (as you say) like if there is tiling to come out, etc.

I just bought a brand new bath for $81 today. I little bit of boxing in and all will be good.

Cheers,

F

Depends where you are, you can be a brand new bath for $150. I think it is much better doing this.

Cheers,

f

A bath is cheap, its getting the old one out and the new one in thats expensive.

To get the old one out, you usually need to take out tiles, if the tiles are old school ones, the likelihood of finding a replacement is slim to none, so you end up having to take out ALL the tiles and re-tile the entire area. Once you start this you might as well start on the rest of the bathroom.

Hi Jillian,

I have clients who use this method of tile/bath resurfacing all the time - and everyone so far has been happy with the result. Sounds like neK has had a bad expereicne which is a real shame - but don't let that put you off. It certainly is a great way to update your bathroom. Perhaps when you're selecting the applicator, ask for a few references of people you can call (recent clients and maybe one from a few years back so you can find out how it is wearing).

Dont get me wrong, it wasnt a bad experience at all. Quite good in fact. The guy came in around 8am, was finished by 10am or 11am.

Bathtub was ready to use within 48 hours. It did make a big difference to the bathroom (considering the old one had rust).

Overall the job was good, but what im saying is that the photos on the website make the bathtub look like its brand new. That said, its not like they go and take close up photos of the bathtub. If i stand 2 m away, the bathtub looks pretty good, but you're within 50cm of it, you can tell its a respray.

Would i resurface a bathtub over replacing it next time if it was an IP, most likely. I would only redo the entire bathroom if it looked like an utter mess.

A bath is cheap, its getting the old one out and the new one in thats expensive.

To get the old one out, you usually need to take out tiles, if the tiles are old school ones, the likelihood of finding a replacement is slim to none, so you end up having to take out ALL the tiles and re-tile the entire area. Once you start this you might as well start on the rest of the bathroom.

Thats what I am doing - Bathroom Reno.

Point taken though.

F

Just a though Fudge, have you thought of maybe getting at more expensive tub, im guessing at $81 its one of those plastic ones?

Because once the plastic ones scratch they start getting old quick, while buying an $81 saves you money now, later on when you have to replace it it'll get expensive. It might be a worthwhile to invest in a better longer lasting one now to avoid having to go through this whole process again.

Just a though Fudge, have you thought of maybe getting at more expensive tub, im guessing at $81 its one of those plastic ones?

Because once the plastic ones scratch they start getting old quick, while buying an $81 saves you money now, later on when you have to replace it it'll get expensive. It might be a worthwhile to invest in a better longer lasting one now to avoid having to go through this whole process again.

Might have a point if I was holding property.

It will be sold after reno......(Most probably)

But in saying this, we have had a plastic spa bath for the last five years and has stood the test of time. (But I also would treat it differently to how a tenant may treat it)

F

other issues to consider

If you are looking to sell the propertyafterwoods, then a cheap re-spray ay be the way to go.
However if the property is a long term investment, you may want to consider a bathroom reno.
Bathrooms are the one room in the property that can not only cost the most to renovate, but also have the most potential for causing serious structural issues, if done incorrectly. Problem is that any bathroom more than 10 years old, would never pass the current building codes if done the same way. That is because there has been a massive amount of new information come to light wthin the last 10 years which have impacted significantly on how a bathroom is to be renovated.
The biggest cause for concern is waterproofing, or lack of in most cases.
We find evidence of structural damage in every bathroom we renovate. Even those with a waterproof membrane.

So thepoint i am trying to make is this-
If you are only spending a few hundred dollars, for a short term spruce up, then go for it.
However if you are looking for a long term solution, there is only one way to go.

Aperfect analogy is this-
I can respray an old bomb of a car and make it look pretty good, but if i have'nt prepard the bady properly, eventually that rust will start showing riht through the paint.

good luck with your project

Hi Jillian
I was wondering what you have decided to do?
Resurface the bath & tiles or do a complete reno?

I am in a similar boat & currently in the processes of getting quotes etc on resurfacing bath & wall tile (approx 8sqm).

I tradie came in today & told me the tiles were too damaged & wouldnt do the job as it wouldnt be to his 'standard' :eek: I would have thought he wanted the job! :confused:
Another one was eagerly optomistic, with a $500-$600 on bath tub alone, or $1800 for bath & tiles

I'm getting a few more quotes, however still not 100% about the results of resurfacing! This property will also be long term hold, so I share you're delimma!

Still :confused:

Hi Helen,

I've decided to go with resurfacing bath. I've got a guy who will regrout tiles and clean them up. Cost and Time were both an issue. Still not too sure if I've made the right decision. Materails aren't the problem labour is.
Will let you know when finish

Up date,

Because we put in a new kitchen we decide to do a new bathroom rather than tiding it up. It was 40 yrs old. So new tiles ect. Because the bath was so fixed in { sitting on bricks, concreted in ) we decided to go with the resurfacing.

Not finish yet but all good...although I may have made kitchen a bit too big for lounge space... too late now

Hi Helen,

I've decided to go with resurfacing bath. I've got a guy who will regrout tiles and clean them up. Cost and Time were both an issue. Still not too sure if I've made the right decision. Materails aren't the problem labour is.
Will let you know when finish

thanks jillian, yes please let us know how you go & perhaps a breakdown of costs for your make-over :)

thanks

Bath Re-Surfacing

Just to clear up a few myths about bath re surfacing!!

Firstly, there are companies that will tell you anything to get your job and then use inferior cheap paints that don't last, especially in a commercial or rental application. From my experience in the industry the majority of bath re-surfacers have little or no trade certification.

If you want your bath to look, feel and wear like new you need tradespeople who will re-surface your bath with the same amount of professionalism that you would expect of someone who works on your Ferrari or Mercedes, and you would expect them to use only the highest quality materials and equipment,that will look great and wear well.

This is hard to explain to people but it is true!!

I have personally sprayed and overseen bath re-surfacing contracts in Australia where we have Re-Surfaced literally thousands of bath tubs in 4 and 5 star hotels and resorts. Over 700 baths in one hotel alone!!!

These commercial clients tested our demonstration baths for years to establish if the finish and quality was good enough to withstand commercial use, and then decided to use OUR service.

We have been re-surfacing commercial and domestic baths since 1994 and have had no complaints, only continual word of mouth recommendations.

If you want your bath re-surfaced properly we are happy to assist as property investors should consider Re-Surfacing Baths and shower trays, don't worry, the tenants wont damage the bath any more than if you put in a new one!!!

We will travel anywhere for large commercial jobs and offer a residential service from Lismore to Noosa, with the majority of our work in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Thank you

Guy 0415 858 153

Don't use the home kits, Someone did that on the house we bought and it is peeling after 3 months. Also the peeling pieces as sharp as my daughter cut/ grazed her leg while mucking around in the bath.

Get a professional or replace.

Back