Perth - Start of New Boom 2011 ?

hi Jen

your PFR website is simple but comprehensive, well done. kudos for your LGBTI friendliness.

I've often thought of doing similar with two units I have in one block, but thought it's all a bit too much work.

if you're agreeable i have some questions (if you're not just direct me to the where to buy in melb thread)
-what sort of vacancy rate do you generally experience?
-I presume these are not let through reas, so how do you market?
-what sort of premium do you get over unfurnished long term rentals (looks like area is around 330?, sorry don't know Perth)
-will you add to the stock in this niche thing you have going on?
-finally, a question I always ask businesses - would you do it again and what would you change?

thanks in anticipation.

Hi Ed and Jebb! Thanks for your interest and kind comments!
1. Vacancy rates - around 6 weeks' vacancy per unit per year. I factor this in to our 'expected costs' by assuming we will have 8 weeks' vacancy per unit per year, so will need to cover that lack of income ourselves.
2. We primarily market through the Gumtree website. We've tried other options like The West Australian and Sunday Times, but Gumtree has a much better response rate, plus it's free and allows photos - two big benefits!
3. Premium for furnishings etc - yeah, two bedroom unfurnished units probably normally go for between $250-$350 per week, depending on location, condition etc.
4. We are in the process of buying two more two-bedroom units, which we will also be adding to our PFR website - what we do works very well (so far) and demand generally exceeds supply, so we're going to stick with this approach :D
5. I don't know that we would change anything from the way we've done it, to be honest. We've always been very careful around things like good leases, good tenants, etc etc. We've had the occasional bad experience but I think that's inevitable if you have property. Plus we've had very good capital growth from our properties, as well as receiving good income (rent) from them.

It is time consuming, but as I've said elsewhere we don't have kids or hobbies (apart from property) so that's time that we would otherwise spend sleeping or in front of a computer or the TV. To try to minimise the time consuming side of it, we do limit ourselves to an absolute minimum lease of 6 weeks. If we were turning over the units every week I'd need to give up my fulltime job just to keep up with the cleaning and laundry! As it is, we've spent some late nights after work, doing cleaning etc because the tenants have just moved out, and new tenants are coming in the next day. There's nothing like inhaling oven cleaner fumes at 1am in the morning :p

Hi Ed and Jebb! Thanks for your interest and kind comments!
1. Vacancy rates - around 6 weeks' vacancy per unit per year. I factor this in to our 'expected costs' by assuming we will have 8 weeks' vacancy per unit per year, so will need to cover that lack of income ourselves.
2. We primarily market through the Gumtree website. We've tried other options like The West Australian and Sunday Times, but Gumtree has a much better response rate, plus it's free and allows photos - two big benefits!
3. Premium for furnishings etc - yeah, two bedroom unfurnished units probably normally go for between $250-$350 per week, depending on location, condition etc.
4. We are in the process of buying two more two-bedroom units, which we will also be adding to our PFR website - what we do works very well (so far) and demand generally exceeds supply, so we're going to stick with this approach :D
5. I don't know that we would change anything from the way we've done it, to be honest. We've always been very careful around things like good leases, good tenants, etc etc. We've had the occasional bad experience but I think that's inevitable if you have property. Plus we've had very good capital growth from our properties, as well as receiving good income (rent) from them.

It is time consuming, but as I've said elsewhere we don't have kids or hobbies (apart from property) so that's time that we would otherwise spend sleeping or in front of a computer or the TV. To try to minimise the time consuming side of it, we do limit ourselves to an absolute minimum lease of 6 weeks. If we were turning over the units every week I'd need to give up my fulltime job just to keep up with the cleaning and laundry! As it is, we've spent some late nights after work, doing cleaning etc because the tenants have just moved out, and new tenants are coming in the next day. There's nothing like inhaling oven cleaner fumes at 1am in the morning :p

thanks Jen. sounds like you're earning a tidy premium over a 'normal' rental even when you take into consideration a higher vacancy rate. you seem to have the system down pat.

good luck with the next two.

I thought I would transfer this topic that I created over here!!

Mark Bouris Gavin Hegney and Andrew Winters in Perth July 22

I was particulary interested in Ausprops reply!

Quote from Ausprop

feedback form my mate - hegney was good.

hegney reckons that the positioning of Per/Syd/Mel is back to where it was in 2004 in relative terms and that Perth is being set up for it's next boom phase.

I believe Perth will start to gather momentum in 1-2 years time and boom again 2012-2013

Can someone please tell me a bit about Perths situation in 2004? When did Perth start to gather pace? 2005?

What do you think Hegney means when he says Perth is well placed and that we are back to where we were in 2004, setting up for its next boom phase? I know we our in the very early stages of the upturn!

I wonder when other Somersofters will show some interest in investing in Perth? atm I know that yields are not high enough for them to want to buy!

The other thing I remember hearing Hegney say is that Perth is looking cheap again. We are 5th on the list of median house prices. I'm thinking investors will turn away from Melbourne and Sydney soon because there are cheaper places to buy into. This was the same scenario back in 2005 wasn't it? Investors invested in Perth because Melbourne and Sydney were getting too expensive.

What are your thoughts on Hegneys comments?

Last edited:
HiKim,

I don;t know ow to anlayse and forcast like these guys do so I hope you're all correct..

I've noticed Balga ands surrounds have moved a bit, well the triplex blocks anyway.

I'm looking at prices (and inspecting a few) and seeing what appear to be decent prop's at a reasnalbe price to other suburbs and rent returns too.

Be perfect to find out if we are on the cusp of an upcoming boom.. and while we're checking that out might as well find out where the best buys would be also :p

boom is a dead word.

any use of the word here in Perth at present is just specufesting selling jargon used to trap mums'n'dads, who missed the last run, into paying finished land prices for wholesale blocks.

move along. very pessimistic here.

+1. Boom boom boom...let me here you say wayoh(wayoh!)

I too have come dislike the word. If it werent used so vigorously id be ok with it..They happen once in a blue moon, yet you wouldnt think so with the constant "next boom talk" that happens every week, day...minute?:confused:

on that note. I do believe there is something on the horizon. The area i work in would be able to nudge perth in that direction. Im seeing ALOT of activity in the North West. Im involved with The Gorgon Project which is projected to last for at least a decade. Turns out there going to be building 5trains on Barrow Island :)

What do you think Hegney means when he says Perth is well placed and that we are back to where we were in 2004, setting up for its next boom phase? I know we our in the very early stages of the upturn!

The other thing I remember hearing Hegney say is that Perth is looking cheap again. We are 5th on the list of median house prices. I'm thinking investors will turn away from Melbourne and Sydney soon because there are cheaper places to buy into. This was the same scenario back in 2005 wasn't it? Investors invested in Perth because Melbourne and Sydney were getting too expensive.

perth market lifted off in 2004. it went vertical for 2 straight years before people selling their houses were questioning agents "if they can really get those prices", then 6 months later in 07 it started to slow as yields fell to an average of about 2.2% and then all the attention here was on melbourne which took off.

08/09 was dismal for perth.

so far 2010 has been flat. i can't see any upside yet. Karratha looking hot to trot and PH is just ....well, "evolving nicely".

if you want to go counter cyclical check out this:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-wa-eagle+bay-2765595

never thought i would see it in my lifetime! block with houses on were going for mid $3m's only 2 years ago

I like how block 311 is 5000 sqm at $600K ($120 per metre) and block 301 only 10 metres away is 2500 sqm at $1.2M ($480 per metre).

Sorry to be off topic briefly, but can someone tell me if ocean views are really worth 4 times not having ocean views, when everything else is equal?

personally i wouldnt think so...would appear to me they have a loss leader, but if they are that desperate then the others shoul dbe highly negotiable

And just realised that Block 301 is actually $1.75M, so that makes it $700 / mtr and about 6 times the price of the block with no views.

I'm really not buying that story now.

coz it's dunsborough.

rentals for things with ocean views are staggering. we stayed at a modern "chateau" in Margs (actually on margs river) with ocean views, i'm glad we weren't paying the $12000 (twelve thousand dollars) weekly rent.

ocean views at eagles would be worth the same if you built a $1m mansion. and people DO rent them.

the reality of a booming resoures sector and continued population growth set against a stalled development market must come home to roost eventually. this is a case of WHEN?

Back