New to the game - Beginner information

Hi all,

Long time reader, not a big poster.

I'm a young lad going into my first property which will be an IP (what a surprise!) & I unfortunately don't have anybody guiding me through the process. So far I've inspected a few properties and finally found one that I'm interested in, I haven't given the RA too many signs that I'm interested as I fear this will push the price up. I'm all a little confused as to when I should be getting the property inspected or when I should be contacting a conveyancer? Is anybody able to recommend a somewhat thorough but simple website/listing that may outline the process as I clearly don't want to give the RA too much of the idea that I have no idea what I'm doing (experience wise, if not done already!). Also, Are there any recommendations of conveyancers in the north west suburbs of Melbourne?

Thanks!
Adam

Could be worth trying a Buyer's Agent. They will walk you through the process (working FOR you) and help you with the negotiations (if you wish.) Did I mention they'll be on YOUR side? ;)

Their fees will be a good investment - better than learning the hard way, and costing you money!

But I can't recommend any in the area you're looking - someone else may?

Hi all,

Long time reader, not a big poster.

I'm a young lad going into my first property which will be an IP (what a surprise!) & I unfortunately don't have anybody guiding me through the process. So far I've inspected a few properties and finally found one that I'm interested in, I haven't given the RA too many signs that I'm interested as I fear this will push the price up. I'm all a little confused as to when I should be getting the property inspected or when I should be contacting a conveyancer? Is anybody able to recommend a somewhat thorough but simple website/listing that may outline the process as I clearly don't want to give the RA too much of the idea that I have no idea what I'm doing (experience wise, if not done already!). Also, Are there any recommendations of conveyancers in the north west suburbs of Melbourne?

Thanks!
Adam

Wobblycart's advise is always good, but you still need to do some homework yourself.

First thing is to work out what you can afford. Do not past Go, do not collect $200 unless you do this. Otherwise you're just dreaming. Talk with a broker and get the finance arranged.

Next is to work out the market value of the property. Completely ignore the asking price. Market value often has no correlation to the asking price. Don't base your offers on the asking price, the asking price is the vendor dreaming. Work out the market value by looking at recent sales around the area to comparable properties. Search the web. Ask the RE agent and other agents in the area because they actually have a good idea of what's going on. Work out market rent the same way. Find out the vacancy, council rates, water rates and strata fees (particularly strata fees if a unit, villa or townhouse) as these will affect the yield. Work out the recent capital and rent growth for the area. Some of this info is in the back of the property magazines, some is in the property listing, some in the contract of sale, and some you'll need to phone the agent for. These price and rent growth figures give you an idea what might happen in the near future which will affect your investment return.

Once you have an estimate of the market value and yield, work out what you're prepared to pay for the property to make the investment work. You need a MAXIMUM bid that you won't go over.

Got your maximum bid? Phone the agent, make your first bid lower than the max, wait for the response from the vendor. If not accepted then raise the bid, rinse and repeat until the maximum is reached or you've bought the property. Easy as, bro.

If you didn't buy the property, either look for another or raise your maximum. If you raise your max you're now over-paying for the property (based on your earlier calculations). There are lots of properties out there, don't feel like you have to buy THIS one. A trap for young players, that is.

I've never understood the "I haven't given the RA too many signs that I'm interested as I fear this will push the price up" attitude. The RA doesn't have voodoo dolls that they manipulate buyers with. It's a simple yes/no transaction, only you have to be prepared for a LOT of no answers. The fact that you've only found ONE property that you're interested in suggests that you're getting emotional with the purchase. That's fine if you want to buy a property you like, but not if you want to buy a good investment.

Every week you should be analysing several properties and making a couple offers, and be doing this for several months before you buy. There are lots of nice properties on the market that are bad investments.

Actually there is a Zero-th thing you need to do (ie, something before Step 1) and that's to decide whether property investment is the right thing for you at the current time. Depending on where you intend to buy or what your overall investment strategy plan is, residential property might not be a good thing to invest in.

Opinion only, not investment advice, ymmv. :D

Last edited:
....I'm all a little confused as to when I should be getting the property inspected or when I should be contacting a conveyancer?

Depends if it is an auction or private sale ("for sale")

If PS, then I usually do an inspection, THEN offer a price based on the findings of the report. (Buggered if the report comes back 100% good though!)

When you sign the contract on the section 32 (which then becomes the "written offer") and the seller signs it (which then becomes a signed contract), you will be signing 3 copies - one for the seller, one for you and one for your conveyancer/solicitor.

I use a solicitor in preference to a conveyancer - bit more expensive, but I've had some odd situaitons in the past where a conveyancer would not have been able to cope.

The Y-man

I'm all a little confused as to when I should be getting the property inspected or when I should be contacting a conveyancer?

As Y-man said, use a solicitor not a conveyancer. Solicitors will work through the legal issues with you such as caveats, special conditions.

Building inspections: I differ from Y-man. I look at a place and work out the numbers taking into account the amount of work likely to be done. I attend several inspections and measure. plan and estimate. It's easy to work out whether a place is structurally sound but just needs a coat of paint, or whether it needs major work due to poor maintenance. Dodgy renos and cheap diy-looking building work are a red flag.

When the numbers are worked out I then get a bid to the agent. If accepted I then get a building inspection done in the cooling-off period (NSW) which only really saves me crawling around under the house or up in the ceiling.

I might include a new hot water heater in the reno cost, plus plumbing or roof maintenance work.

As for buying at auction: I don't.

If you didn't buy the property, either look for another or raise your maximum. If you raise your max you're now over-paying for the property (based on your earlier calculations). There are lots of properties out there, don't feel like you have to buy THIS one. A trap for young players, that is.

Wise advise, almost fell face first on the weekend just gone. A property I was interested in (and that I was about to make an offer on) received an offer equivalent to my maximum. I felt so tempted to go in $5k to $10k higher than the current offer (and above what I was willing to spend, but could easily afford), luckily walked it off, cut my losses & begun the search again!

This brings me to another question, if I plan an making a higher offer or gazumping someone (is that right??) what are the general $ increments that should be made? I was thinking that the REA and vendor would not take 1k or 2k increases seriously & was thinking 5 to 10k (we are talking on a 400k property).

Thoughts?

Back