best property investing book

hi guys, lets start this thread.
Whats in your opinion the best property book that you have read? One with the best advice and strategies etc.

rodimus said:
hi guys, lets start this thread.
Whats in your opinion the best property book that you have read? One with the best advice and strategies etc.

Without a doubt, for me, it was the range of Jan Somers books.. If I had to choose one, the Story by Story book..

Hmm, the book that made the biggest difference to me was Burleys green book - "Australia's Money Secrets of the Rich". Not so much for the specific property guidance though - more because it lets you know that there is a financial path, lets you gauge exactly WHERE you are on the financial path, where you can end up - and THEN shows you a number of strategies on how to do it. And not just Property either.

The best property specific book? My folder of printouts from the somersoft forum of course !!! ;)

I still say for great fundamental information on how to get started with property investing - Jan Somers "More Wealth from Residential Property" is one of the best - simple no-frills common sense approach to investing that anyone can do.

Whenever I talk to someone suffering from analysis paralysis I direct them back to Jan's book(s) - start here, and then work out the fancy stuff later once you've mastered the basics !

For motivation, I agree that the "Bulding Wealth Story by Story" book is excellent as well.

I also got a lot out of the practical advice in John Burley's book that JumJones mentioned.

My wife and I started with Sean O'Reilly's "Anyone Can B A Millionaire". We are still working on the overall strategy, and I think that so far it does work.
Could have been better if we didnt get X-Coll at the start.

Well, I hope I will be forgiven for shameless self-promotion, but I can recommend my own book, "The Real Estate Rookie - practical advice for the first-time residential property investor". Published by Choice Books (author Teresa Wainwright) and available from bookshops or from www.choice.com.au

It is a down to earth, easy read with lots of practical advice on what to look for in a rental property, how to negotiate a good deal, how to find a good tenant, tax, finance, interviews with investors and tenants and heaps more.

The follow up, The Real Estate Rookie's Guide to Property Management, will be in the shops next month, but is currently available from the Choice Books website at www.choice.com.au

cheers, investorgirl

investorgirl said:
The follow up, The Real Estate Rookie's Guide to Property Management, will be in the shops next month, but is currently available from the Choice Books website at www.choice.com.au
l

Well done! There was a big gap here! I hope it helps to dispel some of the fears and myths that Landlords have about property management that abound.

investorgirl said:
Well, I hope I will be forgiven for shameless self-promotion, but I can recommend my own book...
Hey Investorgirl,

It sounds like a useful book - though I haven't seen it yet.

I've got no problems with you self-promoting it here at Somersoft HOWEVER I do have an issue with your promotion of it at www.propertyinvestment.com.

There you made a post talking about the book as a reader, not as the author. To quote:

I've seen some previous posts regarding all the investment books that are available, but there's a relatively new one out that no-one's mentioned yet. I think its' really good - especially for novices or inexperienced investors. It's called The Real Estate Rookie by Teresa Wainwright. Has anyone else read it?
The thread is question is: http://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4361

I feel this is unethical behaviour - particularly for someone whose book has been published by Choice - the Australian Consumers' Association.

I applaud your efforts, but NOT your ethics.

Good luck with the book - and with your investing!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I agree, Jan Somers "More Wealth from Residential Property" is one of the best. These days of course since I learnt about the "power" of using trusts I think that the book could is limited by not including the benefits of purchasing within a trust.

Books , Books, Books!

:) I first me Noel Whittaker in About 1980 when I was about 21. At the time Noel was running ERA Noel Whittaker Real Estate In Southern Brisbane suburbs & I was on buying spree.

At that stage i do not think Noel had even written any books. however he was very much into motivation.

He advised me on a couple of books to read that got me going.

Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude, by Napolean Hill & W Clement Stone. (A Classic) I re-read it twice whilst in hospital for weeks after my Kidney Transplant.

Also Riches from Real Estate. A American Book out of print but in some libraries. By Fred Johnson & Brendon Whitting.

There are shelves full of other books in my library.

But anything by Jan Somers is great. Don't forget Building Wealth Story By Story. (Check out Chapter 13. Chapter 97. Chapter. Chapter 85. :D

Another great read to put yourself in perspective & soften your fears/ego/etc.

The Millionaire Next Door.

And as soon as my two surviving Triplets go to school next year I will be able to read again.

ALMOST Nothing better than laying on the beach reading a good book. ;)

Gee Cee

Old Fart

Correction on Riches From Real estate

:eek: Sorry Folks.

Riches From real Estate is actually Australian Book.

Fred Johnson & His Son actually have a later book out . Published about 4 yrs back.

Was thinking of William Nickerson's book "How I Turned $1000 into Five Million Dollars in Real Estate.

My appologies.

(I should have married a teacher that was also a Librarian) :eek:

Gee Cee

Calling out from under 1000 books :)

MOTIVATION. From Books or What or WHO?

Just a small enquiry.

How many people out there have been changed or motivated from reading a book or whatever.

If not a book WHAT.

I had one of my wifes friends that is a teacher ask if i could give him some advise. (Been there a number of times)

I gave him a book by Noel Whittaker related to young people. (Cannot remember the name)

He has had it 3 months but cannot be bothered reading it.

He expects that i will just wave a wond and he will be a successful millionare.

I said to my wife , If he cannot be bothered starting with simple things, devoting some time to study or even reading one chapter a week then I cannot do magic.

It is a bit like wanting to play in a orchestra without even learning basic fast /slow or reading music.

Or is it just that I am to hard on people that think it should all be handed to them.

Gee Cee

Stubborn Old fart :(

Gee Cee said:
He expects that i will just wave a wand and he will be a successful millionare.
Gee Cee,

Why not offer him the wand....

It's simple - if you pay me $2 million dollars, I will wave my magic wand and make you a millionnaire!

Guaranteed to work every time.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi
I read all of the Dolf DeRoos and Rich Dad series before I came across Jan's books and this forum. (Now I have read them also)
The first books got me started and then Jan's books gave better direction, so I'll go along with Jan Somers
The Millionaire Next Door - very good

Gee Cee
Love books, and what a great way to learn.
A good book just finished that helps with all aspects of life, learning and dealing with Real Estate, "Emotional Intelligence"

jahn

The book I most enjoyed reading was "wealth magic" by peter span

I Was laughing from start to finish, great book, was morely about mindset but a great book none the less :)

Rookie is excellent. 0-130 is excellent. Roth & Lang is great. Millionaire too. Rich Dad . . . .They all do a good job provided they leg you up from your last position. Couldn't pick a winner.
;)

Dear GC/guys,

How many people out there have been changed or motivated from reading a book or whatever.

Actually John Burleys - "Money Secrets of the Rich" had one significant effect on myself. Immediately it removed a mental attactment to electronic possessions. Went to cash converters for the first time............... After a couple of little loads of getting rid of "junk" purely taking up space they gave me another $5k to put to better use. So chapter 8 did have the right impact. I recommend every investor put this strategy into action.

Other property books. Of course agree that both of Jan's books are the best and yes I have read your story a couple of times ;).

After that I would say the best property book is without a doubt "Ordinary Millionaires" by Jim McKnight. This is really "Story by story 2" because Jan is too busy at the moment. :)

Best other money book. "The Richest Man in Babylon" -George S. Clason. I wish I had a dollar for every copy I have given away.

0-130. Sensationalism sells books........... People always want to find the "easy holy grail". However not one I would put on my list.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

I didn't read any books until I had already aquired a few IP's. Since then, I think the first was the Rich Dad series, which were bought for my Husbands benefit, then Jan Somers, then just about anything else. Rich Dad was excellant, not so much for its information (as I think its lacking in that department), but as a kind of motivational tool to encourage others that it is possible to get ahead, whatever your background.

Someone that my Husband worked with at the time mentioned it to him, so I raced out and bought it, and it did the trick, as he was not interested in investing at all, but supported his crazy wife. Now he still leaves it up to me, but he asks questions (annoying when he questions my judgement), and he now reads the occasional other book and steals my API mag.

Sorry Acey, there wasn't any intention to be unethical, I was after some feedback on the book and didn't want people to hold back because they knew I'd written it. Perhaps it was naughty, hope I am forgiven. investorgirl

Back