It's official: boom back with a bang. Oct 5

Like Lady Godiva, they have half each way on the grey. These are their closing sentences:

"But the growth in house prices seems to be slowing.

The report shows that median house prices only increased by 7.1 per cent in the year to September, compared with a rise of 27 per cent for the year to August in 2002.

There are signs, though, that the market is peaking,' the report said."

:D

Confusing isnt it.....

Sydney's property market is officially booming again
<and>
But the growth in house prices seems to be slowing.
all in one article highlighting that the boom is back again with a bang!

Glad I never believe the papers. :)

Yes.

Once the papers made half decent fish wrappers.

A time when the recycled use was superior to the use for which the product was originally designed.

Oh well, ......back to looking for li'l renters.

The Age 5 October 2003

The Age 5 October 2003

"Australians now owe so much money that the Reserve Bank only needs to lift interest rates by 1 percentage point to hit the family purse harder than when mortgage rates soared to 17 per cent in the late 1980s, AMP Henderson chief economist Shane Oliver says.

Back then, rocketing interest rates forced Australians to cut their spending, which in turn led to a fall in demand, rising unemployment, economic recession and a sharp fall in house prices.

Dr Oliver believes a jump in interest rates of this magnitude is unlikely at this stage but his calculation underlines the precarious nature of the household budget should some shock event hit the Australian economy."

- Hope they can still afford the rent, if not a rise in rent. In the eighties many moved back home with mum and dad.

And this time many have used LOCs for consumables and new cars.

:D

G'day Jean,
the Reserve Bank only needs to lift interest rates by 1 percentage point to hit the family purse harder than when mortgage rates soared to 17 per cent in the late 1980s

Your quote lead me to "chase down" a particularly good (older) forum post. Don't be put off by the title, as the thread headed into "interest rates and their likely course".

It is particularly interesting as we are now 18 months further "down the track" .... Enjoy !!!! There are some excellent points by a number of forum members, all worth reading
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3326

I always thought this was a Classic - and well worth a read...

Regards,

G'day Jean,

Glad you enjoyed it. If I can ask one more thing, how about going to "Rate this thread" at the very bottom of the page and select an appropriate rating. It is rarely used, and requires more than one person voting to give a thread 4 or 5 stars.

But, yeah, I reckon this old post has SO MUCH WORTH in it (AND it was under an inappropriate title, thus making it hard to get the recognition it deserves). Give it your vote, I'll give it mine, and very soon, THIS thread will provide the link to a VERY worthwhile piece of information. i.e. 5 stars !!!!

Watch for it !!!! ;)

Regards,

G'day Jean,

No, I don't know to "Search" for them, but, when enough people vote for them, they show up (see Brenda Irwin's thread in this forum "How I bought 20 IP's in 5 years"

Once they have "Stars" they do stick out a bit more.

Sim would know for sure regarding "searching for stars". He would also know how many people need to agree on a rating before "Stars" are awarded. You out there, Sim'? Can you help with this?

Meantime, it seems we need one or two more to vote for THIS thread to give it its stars. Anyone else agree that the link above and its contents is worth 4 or 5 stars?? If so, please vote via "Rate this Thread" at the bottom of the page.

Regards,

To find out which posts have five stars, simply click on top of the rating box on each individual forum . You can click on each of these box , eg number of posts/ veiws and the forum will rearrage the the posts for you .

The default setting is according to which post last had a reply.

See change

Last edited:
G'day SC,

Well, well - just like Microsoft Outlook !! Funny, I never tried that before - thanks - it works a treat !!

And, look at that Jean - it now has 5 stars - if you check the date on that original post, you can see it's been a long time coming, but worth every star IMHO. Thanks to everyone who rated the thread !!!

Regards,

Back