Email blues

Hi all

I am experiencing problems with bigpond email. Not all my emails are getting through both sending and receiving and I have been waiting for over a week for technical support to get back to me.

Is anyone else having trouble? Can anyone recommend a good provider?

Julie

Originally posted by simonjulie
I am experiencing problems with bigpond email. Not all my emails are getting through both sending and receiving and I have been waiting for over a week for technical support to get back to me.

I just got a 50% reduction on my Telstra Broadband account for that reason :)

Originally posted by simonjulie
Hi all

Julie

Julie,

I recently dumped Bigpond for my ADSL connection over exactly that issue.. their email network has been plagued with problems and they have been very obtuse in providing information about what the issue is..

I'm now with Internode ( http://internode.on.net ) and am very happy.. compared to Bigpond they are exceptionally professional and responsive.

I also recently dumped BigPond for Internode. What's more, Internode announced yesterday a MASSIVE increase in their allowances for their ADSL plans.

My 1500kbps connection came with 4500MB allowance per month. They increased this to 20,000MB - that's 20 gigabytes per month of downloads !! All for no extra money.

I actually changed plan to a cheaper one with an 8GB allowance, which will save me about $30 per month, since I don't think I will use 20GB at this stage (I can always upgrade again if need be).

There are some plans offering up to 30GB per month download allowance. They have very good fixed rate plans too, where you are guaranteed no excess data charges.

I strongly suggest you dump BigPond - they have proven once again that they have no idea whatsoever about running an ISP service.

If reliability is at all important to you, BigPong is NOT the ISP to use.

Bigpond has had severe email server problems for several months now. Initially they said it was due to a virus, but none of the other ISPs reported similar problems.

I'd strongly recommend dumping Bigpond for several reasons:

1) They have proven repeatably to be unreliable (both uptime and email delivery).

2) The are one of the most expensive ISPs.

3) They have draconian usage and data allowance policies.

A good case in point is their recent offering of spam filters and virus checking on their email. It's being offered free for the first 3 months then you pay by the month. There are several other ISPs which offer this service for free!

A significant number of broadband users sign up with bigpond when they first switch to broadband, then migrate to another ISP as soon as their contract expires.

If you're looking for an alternative, I'd suggest going to Broadband Choice .

There you'll find independant information on all of Australias major ISPs, comparison tools and forums discussing the pros and cons of each of the major ISPs as well as user driven technical support (so you don't have to wait on the phone).

Make sure you understand what you use the internet for and you understand your usage patterns. Then browse the forums and the ISP summaries to determine the best ISP and the best plan for your needs.

EDIT: IMHO whilst Internode is well known for the quality of their support, they do seem to be moderatly expensive. I'm currently with TPG, for $69.95 / mth with unlimited downloads, spam filtering, virus checking, a fixed IP address and 20 email addresses. Their support isn't so great, but the also have very good uptimes and reliability.

Has anyone got any suggestions for getting out of Telstra's 24 month contract for Broadband ? I've only had it for about 6 months.

Originally posted by abcdiamond
Has anyone got any suggestions for getting out of Telstra's 24 month contract for Broadband ? I've only had it for about 6 months.

Pay the break costs? It's just the cost of the modem isnt it?

Thanks very much for your replies. I rely on my email for property management, among other things, and cannot afford to put up with such shoddy service for any length of time.

Cheers
Julie

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

ABCDiamond,

Call Bigpond and explain that their 50% off offer isn't good enough as you REQUIRE 100% of your email on time every time.

Inform then that Bigpond has demonstrated it cannot deliver on it's end of the agreement and a discount provides so guarantee of an improvement of their service in future, thus does not remedy the problem.

So, rather than paying 50% for the problem period you wish to terminate your account with them and pay no break charges.

If they say 'you can't do that', first speak to a supervisor, repeating the argument.

if that still doesn't work, let the supervisor know that your next call is to the Telco Ombudsman - often this is a very effective Telstra lubricant.

If it doesn't work, contact the Telco Ombudsman and explain it all again - explain the issue & that Telstra has breached their contract with you and that their proposed remedy is insufficient as it does not resolve the problem & leaves you without reliable web-based communication, a requirement in your line of work (property investing).

You'd be surprised at the strings they can pull as Telstra HATES being pulled in front of them to justify poor performance.

i've used the telco Ombudsman as a big stick several times to resolve situations with Optus & Telstra, so the approach can work.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Bigpond

Agree with everything that has been said.

I have been having tremendous problems for 6 weeks, I complained and complained, and eventually emailed through work for tech support.

All I got was a final email telling me to phone a number which I did, only to find it was the billing section, telling me the wonderful news that they have credited my account with 2 weeks subscription. Big deal - I have been out of action for 6 weeks.

When I explained that this was insufficient and I was after tech support the stupid girl on the end of the phone said

"Yes this happens all the time if you email in for tech support, they always email you telling you to phone billing. "

Useless support!!

Anyway, I have finally solved the problem, logged on to the Web checked the web account and sure enough all deleted emails had been restored, going back for almost 3 years. It appears a restore on the web server dumped all deleted mail back into everyone's deleted folder!!

I now have email again

Chris

I chose Internode over TPG based on what Sim had said and the comments on Whirlpool. After the new computer burst of downloads I can now drop back a download level with thier new plans :D

bundy

I'm trying to enrol on Ozemail via a package from a retailer.

What they didn't tell me was that, if you have a back to base alarm, you need something else installed. They said $270 cost. Ouch- but I ticked that box and enrolled anyway- even though that was not stated when I bought it.

I rang the number Ozemail recommended to install that device- they initially told me they were an employment agency. After some pushing, I did eventually find out they could install that piece of equipment- but could not confirm how much it would cost me all up.

I did get back to Ozemail. I do not want to deal with private matters at my workplace- so I've asked them to set up an install by email- with work phone ONLY as the last resort.

It's only two days so far- but three frustrating weeks since I bought the packge.

Re: Bigpond

Originally posted by chrispy

Anyway, I have finally solved the problem, logged on to the Web checked the web account and sure enough all deleted emails had been restored, going back for almost 3 years. It appears a restore on the web server dumped all deleted mail back into everyone's deleted folder!!

I now have email again

Chris

Hey Chrispy

Can you please tell me how you checked your web a/c? I have looked on bigpond site and am still clueless. I am a bit technologically challenged so I would appreciate specifics.

Thanks heaps
Julie

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Julie,

Go to telstra.com and sign up for a web based account there. Use your email address as your account name

eg.
[email protected]

Use the same password. This should allow you to access your email over the web.

There's more instructions on the web site. My instructions could be inaccurate because it's been 2 years since I did this.

Originally posted by geoffw
I'm trying to enrol on Ozemail via a package from a retailer.

No, no don't do it Geoff!!!!

Call or PM me & I'll set you up with a decent ADSL provider :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

geoffw - please don't use OzEmail - they have become almost as bad as Telstra in recent years. Failed takeover bids and business problems have left them a shell of what they were 5 years ago.

You will regret moving to OzEmail.

Spend some time on www.whirlpool.net.au in the forums - you will get a good idea of who is good and who isn't. If an ISP is NOT represented on Whirlpool, then they obviously don't care enough about their customers. Ideally you want an ISP that has representatives who are active on the forums answering questions. You can have a good look through what some of the problems people are experiencing through them are.

I recommend an ISP with their own national network, high bandwidth to local and international networks, peering arrangements with other ISPs, a sound charging model, lots of choices, good servers, free download sites, and a local call national dialup network for backup and for use when travelling. There's not too many ISPs out there that can offer all this.

Sim'

My trouble is that by having bought the package, I have committed myself to a minimum term- if I pull out, I'm liable for 12 months payments anyway.

Hopefully though my request to have the splitter installed will continue to be ignored (as it has for the last three days) and I will have an excuse to leave.

Back