House prices in freefall

Can anyone confirm or deny the facts in this article. I think most people knew that prices would fall slowly over the next few years but I don't think too many expected it to occur so quickly!!
I've changed my guidance from an expected 35% fall to a 40-45% fall over the next 5 years.

Residential property prices seem to be in free-fall.

The often-repeated industry lie - that home values always rise - is exposed by the latest data released today. The predicted soft landing seems to be turning into a crash landing.

Data from Australian Property Monitors shows the median sale price for Sydney homes (including both houses and units) fell almost 10% in December, while in Melbourne values dropped 7%.

APM’s Home Price Guide shows $64,000 was cut from the price of the typical Sydney home in December, compared with the previous month. And auction clearance rates were at their lowest levels in 12 years. The clearance rate in the northern beaches region of Sydney plunged to less than 30% leading up to the New Year.

The decline was most keenly felt with houses. In December the median house price dropped $84,000 - from $780,000 to $696,250, a fall of 11%. Apartment sellers also suffered with median sale prices falling from $510,000 to $452,000.

This carnage has been repeated around the nation. Median prices fell in all capital cities and Melbourne, Sydney and Perth all sold fewer than half of properties put to auction.

In Melbourne, the median home price was $340,000 in December, down from $367,000 in November.

The market decline is revealed in all kinds of statistics. Landlords in leading holiday towns throughout NSW had to slash holiday rentals by up to $1,300 a week to attract tenants in the recent festive season. Letting agents reported “bargain basement prices” in areas such as the Central Coast, Byron Bay and the Southern Highlands.

Major home builders say demand from home buyers halved in the latter part of 2003, forcing them to offer incentive packages. The nation’s largest home unit developer, Meriton, predicts a 30% default rate in the settlement of apartments bought off-the-plan.

The faltering real estate market has been created by a combination of telling factors: rising interest rates, over-supply of inner-city units, falling home affordability, new state laws in three states (NSW, Victoria and South Australia) which have nobbled auction rorts, strong action by federal authorities against real estate crooks, and action to close down get-rich-quick seminars.

One wonders how the real estate spinners will rationalise the latest damning figures. Before Christmas, the Real Estate Institute of NSW sought to disguise bad news in a media release on market movements. The press statement headed “Solid property performance during September Quarter” focussed on the 1% rise in the median price for Sydney houses.

Buried in the data was evidence of a slowing market and the impact of over-building. The median price for units across the Sydney market fell 1.3% - while inner-city unit prices dropped 5.3% in the quarter. Apartment values fell in 14 of Sydney’s municipalities.

This pre-dated the interest rate rise. The latest data from Home Price Guide shows that the decline in unit values has accelerated since then.

Similar frailty was found in statistics from the Real Estate Institute of Queensland. Median house prices fell in 29 Brisbane suburbs in the September Quarter. Another eight suburbs showed no increase in prices.

On the Gold Coast, median house prices fell or stagnated in 15 suburbs, including prestige markets such as Surfers Paradise, Mermaid Waters and Burleigh Heads.

Caution is needed when dealing with median prices, particularly over short time frames - such as comparing the September and June quarters.

But the figures disprove the industry myth that prices always rise remorselessly.

Home buyers and investors should remember that during the 1990s, following the last price boom, all capital cities had periods when prices fell, for both houses and units.

This is happening again. Real estate is not merely coming off the boil - it is entering a major freeze.

d
from Jenman.com.au

Housing market defies trend
By PETER WOOD
10jan04
THE typical Adelaide house is worth $33,000 more than it was 12 months ago.

In the 12 months to December 2003, Adelaide's median house price rose from $209,000 to $242,000 – the 25.39 per cent rise being the second biggest yearly increase on record.

The December figures, released yesterday by the State Valuer General, showed the Adelaide housing market bounced back after slower growth of property prices from July to September.

Prices grew just 3.41 per cent in that quarter, but end-of-year growth jumped to 5.68 per cent.

The state's median house price also grew significantly during the past year – an 8.37 per cent rise in prices paid for houses in the last three months of 2003 taking the median price to $220,000, up 25.71 per cent from $203,000 for the preceding year.

Real Estate Institute of South Australia president Robin Turner said the figures demonstrated stability in the market, defying speculation that house prices would fall.

"Adelaide still represents great affordability compared to the eastern seaboard, so we have room for rises," Mr Turner said.

"The state has blossomed. Adelaide is a relatively big city by international standards and, when people feel confident in their city, that drives prices up."

After Reserve Bank warnings to investors about the Melbourne and Sydney apartment glut, the Adelaide apartment market took a dive in the third quarter, but improved again as the year drew to an end.

Units and apartments in the CBD and North Adelaide had dropped in value by 2.33 per cent in September, but grew 8.41 per cent in the last quarter. The median price is up to $265,500 from $244,900 three months ago.

Posted in the Advertiser 10-January-04

?????

Everyone's got an opinion, I have my fair share of opinions and Neil Jenman has an entire suburb's fair share of opinions :D

Hi LB

Its a pity these arent government stats :O)

If they were seasonally adjusted the median Melbourne House price would possibly have been 380 000.

Edited to include ....... I wonder if we are conditioning sellers to accept lower sale prices............

Ta

rolf

The market decline is revealed in all kinds of statistics. Landlords in leading holiday towns throughout NSW had to slash holiday rentals by up to $1,300 a week to attract tenants in the recent festive season. Letting agents reported “bargain basement prices” in areas such as the Central Coast, Byron Bay and the Southern Highlands.

from Jenman.com.au

Well thats the exact opposite of our experience on the far south coast of NSW. They have reported their busiest peak period ever! And rents up 10% over last year.

So where do l find all these bargains?

What sources does Jenman draw his info from?

Originally posted by L Bernham
Can anyone confirm or deny the facts in this article. I think most people knew that prices would fall slowly over the next few years but I don't think too many expected it to occur so quickly!!
I've changed my guidance from an expected 35% fall to a 40-45% fall over the next 5 years.

from Jenman.com.au
We've been having some huge debates on what will happen. I've posted a small article which shows one trend, and it's pounced on to prove one point of view.

There's been other articles which have also been pounced on for a contrary point of view.

In the end, who cares who gives the correct prediction?

Prices may go up, they may go down. We make our own decisions today on what we see will happend in the market. And we take the risk that it will be wrong. But, no matter what AB, CD, EF, GH or anyone else says, there will (perhaps) be a price movement. At least in the short term.

As long as any of us know the risks, and are prepared to act, no matter which way the movement.

I bought a nice property 24 months ago. One of the best people in the business suggested that I would have six months of growth, with a probable plateau. The plateau did not happen (then). But it doesn't matter. I knew my actions for either a loss, steady, or rise.

Heres a nice quote
Around Australia, signs are finally emerging that the six-year property boom is losing steam. Funny thing is, nobody seems to have told Queensland.
They are still talking about good rises for next 3 years up here :)

Originally posted by L Bernham

from Jenman.com.au

Dearest Mr. Bernham,

just in case I miss it, could you please call me when that fall has been achieved.
I sincerly hope I'm not away that weekend, I would be so terribly upset if I missed out on any of these super bargains.

But even if I am away, don't worry, I will catch the first flight back.
I just hope though that the plane I'm in doesn't hit any of those flying pigs that will be prevelant around that time.

Regards

LB

do you live in Brisbane or on another planet?
I have yet to see the freefall in prices.

btw, do you know how a median price is derived?

Before xmas in a suburb I was looking the median from home price guide was 620K but on the market I could not find a property for less that 665K in fact most properties were selling for over 700K. I guess Home price guide were at least 6 months behind market levels.

Today and After seeing your post, I went back to home price guide to check median prices and surprise surpise IT DOESNT GIVE OUT ANY PRICES

Instead of a price it gave me: SNR = Statistically Not Reliable

The sales over the holiday period were low
due to people going away on holidays
and therefore any data they have is not reliable.

Those conclusions (either way) are based on "Median prices" which taken out of context by journos grabbing headlines (and RE's) are much more decieving than informing.
Reality is a little more complex.

dig deep
bbg2003

What are u guys talking about :eek:

It's chaotic out there

People are running around screaming SELL SELL SELL

there is pandemonium in the streets :eek:

Investors are giving away their IPs

Which reminds me I've gotta run to sell mine cya :p

Regards

Investor :)

Yes article written by jurnos or experts on $40K per annum (no RE holding) and printed as this is mass hysteria and SELLS paper!!!

Do not worry about the facts to get into the way, they just spoil a good story. BOOM and DOOM. Paper and (mis)information can be sold at both times, lots of them.

Jakk, I loved your comments. I also will fly back (maybe take one of the pigs to save on the cost and it also can land at the auction with the bargains, not like a boeing 747) not to miss those bargains which are just around the corner. I am still not sure which very (mis)informative source to use to find the bargains.

Regarding to inner city apartments, it was obvious 2 years ago that one had to be careful (meaning try to avoid it),

BUT

the smart money sold at that time, the heard bought and the same jurno (still no property) and (mis)information wrote the screaming headlines, PROPERTY BOOOOOOM, buy or MISS out on it!!! and papers sold!!

Seriously, in some markets there wil be some minor correction and generally prices and growth will come back to a more sustainable level, but definitely no 45% drop in values.

On the other hand a tidal wave might hit Sydney (or Brisbane) tomorrow and then bargains will be there!! and paper will sell again!!

2c.

Tibor

Anybody out there panicking & prepared to sell their IPs at 40% below their market value MESSAGE ME NOW.

I will pay you 80% of CURRENT MARKET VALUE.

THIS SAVES YOU 20% you would otherwise lose - according to the least accurate property commentator in the Australian marketplace.

BUT HURRY...
This offer is only valid for 7 days!

After that the lack of hysteric selling in the property market will convince you that this prediction is a load of bollocks!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS: I guess that people who don't research the property market on a continuing basis or perform due diligence on comps could really believe this stuff.

I wonder - if some shonkies in the market went around showing older householders these predictions & used them to purchase their houses well under value if you could actually charge the commentators making these types of statements as being accessories to fraud.

That's not a headline Neil Jenman would like to see.

Correct me if I am wrong - but doesn't median price mean average of all sales in that month and since when was Sydney's typical priced property at 780k???
So this so-called correction LB is talking about (stating the obvious)is simple- there may have been less sales of higher priced properties that month - and more sales of the lesser priced properties (due to holiday season).....I can promise you I have not seen a 10% drop in one month in Sydney.
In a different state ; my IP's in SE QLD have actually gone up by around 5% for one and around 15% for the other:confused: in the last two months.

Originally posted by perky29
Correct me if I am wrong - but doesn't median price mean average of all sales in that month .

OK I'll correct you :D The average of all sales is the mean The median is the middle of all sales when sales are ranking in order e.g..

given the following numbers 2 1 2 3 10
The mean (average ) is 2 + 1 +2 + 3 + 10 = 18 divided by the number items (5) is about 3.6
the median of same numbers (re-ordered)
1 2 2 3 10 - is 2 (the 3rd item)

In general the mean is biased if there a few high value sales - the median is a better measure of "average" sale - try some of yoru own figures to convince yourself

I agree with Lissie on this... Median price does give you a better picture of a suburb (typical sale price), as the average can be inflated by a few large homes sold at the time (sitting on 2 blocks of land selling at 3 times the normal value due to the large land content, HUGE home, etc...)

You may be right to say that the figures used by the media MAY be a little out fo date, but if you can get accurate figures, I'd stick with the median prices...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Perky wrote: 'since when was Sydney's typical priced property at 780k???'

Maybe he was talking about northern beach areas, though this is not clear in the article.

The use of the word 'carnage' is interesting. So what if a seller gets only 100% capital gain and not 130%? My feelings are more with first home buyers who've been locked out of the market for several years as house prices outstripped wages. If things stabilise or fall for the next few years I'd regard this as a good thing. Not to mention the buying opportunities this will present to investors : )

Meanwhile in regional WA, I see similar places to mine currently on the market for 15-20% more than I paid back in September '03. And in another WA city I'm looking at, I will have a hard time buying something within $10k of what I paid for a place in April 03.

I won't assume this growth will continue, but it shows that there are numerous regional markets with different movements at different stages of the cycle.

Regards,

Peter

Must admitt this one has me stumped.

I've checked in Sydney , all through Queensland , Did a google search to cover Australia ....

but Bugger me, can't find any place called Freefall .....

Is it on another planet ??

Any ideas Guys ?? :)

See Change

Back