How many investment properties?

How many investment properties do you own? (exclude PPOR)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 1-2

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • 3-5

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • 5-10

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • 10-20

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • 20+

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How many investment properties do you own?
Do you think you have enough?
How many more do you want?

I've be interested to see just where the Forumites are at in terms of their goals and how far along they are to achieving them.

the properties are just a means to an end - I want $X of income without getting out of bed - I'll achieve that my either by the nett rent of high cash flow properties or drawing down the CG of CG type properties - the numbers irrelevant btw the 4 I own add up to the grand total of a n average price of a PPOR in my suburb in Wellington

Hi,

Currently got two but the 3rd and 4th are settling on 20th February and we are still actively looking for another one.

:)

The number does seem to get the most reaction out of people. I have 11, all in SE QLD, primarily within 5km of Brisbane CBD, I have a brother who also has 11 in regional qld, obviously ourt portfolios are worth very different amounts of money and bring it very different amounts of rent, though I would say his are more work then mine for less return

From my point of view once I got past the first few it has lost it's serious atmosphere and become more like a pleasant game.

And like any game, I would like to see how far I can take this.

I figure, past a certain point it's just about bomb proof. If it all got sold up tomorrow, we'd still have the house, and at least we gave it a try.

As Oliver Twist so famously said

'Please, Sir, I want more!'

Last edited:
A better question might be, "How may titles have you settled on?"

I was once at an investment meeting where someonw looing for experienced investors asked how many properties do you have and an experienced investor answered "Just one".

That investor had just sold off over a dozen properties. My point is that this question gives very little indication of experience.

Someone who answers twelve might be very highly paid and uses a buyers agent to source their properties.

Two at the moment and think it will stay that way for a while. One in Wollongong and one in Brisbane.

Not sure how many I want. I will keep buying as my income permits.

Luke

Originally posted by PT_Bear
A better question might be, "How may titles have you settled on?"
On the other hand, it's possible to have a block under one title. For the purposes of this poll, I counted one block as nine properties. The experience with tenants makes me feel like it's 20 :D

I think an interesting poll would be 1)"how much nett equity do you have excluding your PPOR ?" and 2) How much nett income does thet deliver?

IMO these questions establish where on the road to financial freedom one is and will encourage us all?

MJK:)

Over 1/3 or respondants have 5+ properties.

What a great wealth of experience to call upon !!!

Well done all.:D

Genfie

I've got 4 titles but 7 lots of tenants, some others will have a higher tenant to title ratio as they are holding large groups of units.

The current goal is 15 lots of tenants at ~$150 rent per week.

quoll

I also have multi tenants, one as a sub lease and another as shared building.

Shop/office is for sale now with available hiding space for me as shared space.

bundy

There was an interesting quote today from an Auckland based newsletter which bemoaned the panic for investors to buy more and more investment properties
I am at a loss to understand why so many property investors think that the more properties that they have the closer they are to financial freedom... It just is not the case! So many investors will just buy property which is negatively geared (or without much thought of the potential downside) and I suspect it’s simply driven by the need to feed their greed. To re-iterate my often quoted mantra “Do not measure your property investment success by the number of properties that you own but rather by both the Quality and the Quantity of both the Equity and the Passive Cashflow that your portfolio delivers. Only these numbers can reveal your true measure of success in property investment”

http://www.hpc.co.nz/

Originally posted by sbe
Over 1/3 or respondants have 5+ properties.

What a great wealth of experience to call upon !!!

Well done all.:D

But 6 have 20+ a figure that just blows my mind!

But it doens't matter even for those who come with zero assets, no income and just plain interest we can all learn something from each other.

During a rush of activity within the real estate market,This question comes up all the time,To me its not important how many you control ,you can own 4 inner city properties ,or 30 in the outer growth suburbs or country areas,all returns should be considered,to me the only thing that matters is net worth.
Everybodys strategies are different in the last 36 months
anyone with very little real estate knowledge,will have made money the next 36 months will be different if you have adequate funds in place and think on the conservative side and use carefull monitoring and some degree of nerve,the same will happen all over again ..
good luck
willair..

once started

my theory

once you have equity say 200k you can be very picky on what you buy ...

say 20-30% cg is a starting point...

My experience is the first 1-3 homes take longer to obtain then the next 5-12 purchases...
you find the people with over 20properties+ can just about buy every 6 mths as long as the cg continues..Thats the power of equity
Its the snowball effect..

keep chipping away ```time builds wealth

OV

20+

Well i have 20 plus and have done this in 3 years with net worth of 3 million, and i say thankyou to the books of Jan and the wonderful,commputer programs, her husband has made,thanks Guys :) :) :) :)

Cheer Jl

Back