Peter Comben Developers Workshop Feedback

Dear guys,

Last Saturday I went along to the Peter Comben development workshop with three other forumites/BIG members.

Some feedback:

1) Peter Comben:

Peter Comben is down to earth and quite genuine. He is not out there “overcharging” but he is trying to give some assistance in an area where there is limited information available. IE “Property Development”. A practical example of him keeping costs down was his selection of a quality suburban venue over an inner city one.

Peter has been a property developer for 17 years and is a registered builder who has completed over 40 developments. One key thing is that even though he has been a developer for this time it was only three years ago that he became an investor. It is clear that whilst he is a successful property developer, in hindsight he wished he had become an investor much earlier on as true wealth is created through combining “property development” with bread and butter “buy and hold”.

2) Some points to consider:

-You cannot learn how to be a property developer in one day. The same as you cannot learn how to be a successful businessman in that time. I went to the workshop looking for ways of saving 1-2 months in red tape. It exceeded these expectations.

-There are significant differences between interstate councils, and hence the difficulties in developers trying to give extremely detailed advice on interstate development matters. It is important to focus on the concept and process which is more universal as opposed to one exact recipe. Again teaching one how to teach themselves (including problem prevention/resolution) is much more important than only following one method that cannot be adapted to suit the local environment and market conditions.

3) Some useful comments on development:

-Try to make your development “unique” in some way. This will ensure that it has a higher valuation than just a “boxy” unit development.

-Significant trees add ongoing value to the development. There are a number of methods to utilise to save them including “shaping them” to reduce the bulk of the tree/s.

-Spend time with your local councillor going through your planned development. Providing information and spending the time to show them what you plan to do may assist in how a councillor reacts to objections/negative comments on a development at another time in the development process.

-The greater the area of “hard surface” the greater the amount of storm water run-off.

-Profit margins:

*Low risk 20% Small residential
*Medium risk 35% Commercial or residential with more than two levels.
*High risk 50%+ Land subdivision.

-Think outside the square. Peter has been very successful in unique win-win Joint-Venture ideas which would not have been initially obvious. Out of 100 people you ask about unique joint ventures about 5 will accept them. (Most sellers always want the money upfront, but the ones that don’t could end up with not only a far better solution but also a more financially attractive one.)

-A DA (Development Approval) increases the value of a property by about 15-20%

-Bigger builders typically have margins of 8-12% with smaller ones margins of 18-20%. He says some bigger builders have greatly improved their customer service levels in recent times.

-Considerably more was covered in the workshop but this gives some of the solid foundations.

4) Overall:

His workbook has some useful information but he sets a high benchmark with his “Development checklist”. There could have been more written information provided. However his next day personal 1 hour one on one is useful in asking and getting a third party opinion on development projects.

Peter’s course is worth up to $1,000. (My views on seminars in excess of this price I have previously expressed elsewhere.) And up to this level I believe it provides value for money. In a group or at a lower price it provides even better value for money.

I did get an attractive return on both my time and my funds that I had invested by going along. For others considering his course you will not get all the answers (No-one has ALL the answers), however I would recommend this seminar as one that delivers value for money in the area of property development.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Last edited:
Sunstone said:
Peter’s course is worth up to $1,000. (My views on seminars in excess of this price I have previously expressed elsewhere.) And up to this level I believe it provides value for money. In a group or at a lower price it provides even better value for money.

I did get an attractive return on both my time and my funds that I had invested by going along. .

Sunstone how much did it cost? Seeming less than $1K? What discounts are available? Do you think most who attended paid full price?

Dear Bicko and Agent 86,

Thanks for the kind words guys. Looking forward to catching up again soon. :)

AL,

Peter's standard price is $770/person. However partners can come along for $440/person. Therefore you can get together a group and by paying at the same time can amortise the costs. However in this case after the course there is only a one hour private consultation for the whole group as opposed to having a private one hour each.

As Agent 86 said for more information on pricing past this, feel free to ask Peter direct.

Again would certainly recommend you go along next time you are in Melbourne (or Brisbane for that matter ;)).

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Just back from Peter's presentation to BIG in Brissy tonight.
He struck me as down to earth.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has done Peter's 1 day workshops in the last few years, and proceeded with a project. I am a little fuzzy on the level of detail Peter can help with when councils across Australia are so different. I also take it that one will get better value if one already has done a reasonable amount of research into a project, that one can take along to Peter for evaluation.

I'm thinking of attending the next Melbourne workshop on the 2nd of December, is any one else interested as there should be a discount for 2.

Just back from Peter's presentation to BIG in Brissy tonight.
He struck me as down to earth.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has done Peter's 1 day workshops in the last few years, and proceeded with a project. I am a little fuzzy on the level of detail Peter can help with when councils across Australia are so different. I also take it that one will get better value if one already has done a reasonable amount of research into a project, that one can take along to Peter for evaluation.

Jesus Bruce - I was there with Lyn! Where were you sitting? I didnt see you! :D

RJ

i had been thinking about attending peter's course and thanks to sandstone for the info.

unfortunately, instead of going to a course i've just leapt in the deep end and learning the ropes of my council by doing a 3 townhouse development. i fear that having already done subdivision and currently doing the development i don't know if peter could help much more ... i do find the hands-on a much better teacher for myself.

that said - if his course gives you the incentive to do a small development, by overcoming some of the fear that can hold you back, then it is money very well spent.

Jesus Bruce - I was there with Lyn! Where were you sitting? I didnt see you! :D

RJ

RJ, got there late (thx work), sat down the front left corner....was up the front yacking for an hour afterwards with all and sundry.....including Brenda and Hubby........Peter comes across as the real thing.....though wonder how much he can assist on a project one hasn't already sussed thoroughly oneself.......think I'd prefer him as a project partner....

unfortunately, instead of going to a course i've just leapt in the deep end and learning the ropes of my council by doing a 3 townhouse development.

Lizzie, I also tend to agree one can learn more by doing......
Peter talked a lot about teaching the 'process' of developing, which I think I have a reasonable grasp on.....it's the devil in the detail, the contacts, the finer aspects of the law, that I'd like more insight into....

Peter mentioned only a few actually go ahead and do a project after one of his workshops....and I wonder if they are the ones that had already done a lot of footwork beforehand........and probably would have done it despite the workshop.....

second row from the front......

BOY, I tell you......the Ray Martin interview with Terri Irwin which I am watching now, is the most powerful thing I have seen on tv for decades........an amazing amazing woman who is being so so open......

Back