Alan Hull - Active Investing (shares)

Hi Somerites,

I've read Alan Hulls course notes on Active Investing (free), today I bought his Active Investing book ($30), and am considering subscribing to his newsletter ($50 then $34/month).

To anyone that has used his guidelines in the past, can you please tell me what your returns have been like and whether you recommend someone to go down this path.

Has it been a good decision? Do you recommend the newsletters and if not, what do you use for market information?

Thanks,

Glebe.

It might pay for you to go along to the meeting on sunday, if they can't give you a good idea of the value of his newsletters....no one can. :)

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=297&day=2004-11-28&c=1

I know quite a lot of people that do subscribe to his newsletters, and I haven't heard one negative comment about them. But everyone has different ideas of what is good and bad. I try to steer clear of the shares aspect of things, but my husband just loves Alan.......hmmm, maybe I should be worried. :(

Ruby :)

Hi Glebe
I think the newsletter is brilliant, once you've read his book and course notes so you know how to utilise it!
I have subscribed for quite a while, but have really only used it properly since starting my SMSF earlier this year. In 8 months my SMSF balance has increased by 16% (that includes outgoings such as insurance premiums as well as dividends), my current portfolio overall is up 18% at the moment.
So I'm pretty happy with that, considering I spend about an hour a week extracting potential buys from the newsletter, assessing them and choosing which one to go with, as well as the actual buy or sell process.
It's a no brainer!
But I have been fiddling about with shares for 7 years or so, including a year or two options trading, so I would have to say I was reasonably familiar with shares before I started using Alan's information.
I notice he does now have information for people who want to be more active traders, I've stuck with the "armchair" model, because I think that's most appropriate for a SMSF.

Just as a FYI for anyone - if you buy his book for $30 you save $50 upfront on his newsletter (see inside back cover).

Free book, $20 saving :)

Back