Are you still buying?

Are you planning to buy over the next 12 months?

• Not unless theres a real bargain, but im not actively looking

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • Yes, theres opportunities out there allways

Votes: 69 60.5%
  • Haven't decided really

Votes: 9 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, currently looking at a block of (4) units which have been on the market for a while (overpriced) hence affording me greater negotiation power (fingers crossed). ;)

Jo

It is very difficult to see why I should buy in this market. Traditionally I would continue buying what I consider good sound properties. There are too many black spots for me; rentals still low, interest rate hike still "in the air", Baby Boomer episode on the very near horizon and the world economy very worrying.
I hope to find places that I think will be of interest to those looking for retirement property. I am not finding much!
There are also a lot of other investments offering less risk and pretty good short term returns.

likewow said:
You guys are craaaazy!!!! Its the wrong time to buy investment property.
Are you are the authority on when the best time is are you LW??? :confused:
Tell me why I should not consider my next investment purchase ie. it will drop in value, IR will go up, both and even worse, or the sky will fall in??? :rolleyes:

Jo

I have to agree with Monopoly. If you came upon something that was considerably under market value, would you not want to purchase it.

Monopoly said:
Are you are the authority on when the best time is are you LW??? :confused:
Tell me why I should not consider my next investment purchase ie. it will drop in value, IR will go up, both and even worse, or the sky will fall in??? :rolleyes:

Jo

Hi Monopoly,

You know i love your work :D and no, its just my opinion.

plumtree said:
There are also a lot of other investments offering less risk and pretty good short term returns.
Absolutely, you want short term, high returns, don't buy property now....put your money on shares (high risk, high return paying shares) and you stand a better chance of making a quick buck. Now is not the time to buy property to make a quick turn around!!!

Jo

Monopoly said:
Absolutely, you want short term, high returns, don't buy property now....put your money on shares (high risk, high return paying shares) and you stand a better chance of making a quick buck. Now is not the time to buy property to make a quick turn around!!!

Jo

They say a long term investment is just a short one that didnt work out. God, they say a lot, dont they.

To make money on shares or property, they dont ahve to be short term/long term/risky/conservative. You do whatever is best at that particular time and IMO now aint the time to optimise your profits by buying property (long term or short term) It will just dilute your portfolio and average out the star performers.

Of course the above is only my opinion :D

Just to set the record straight for Monopoly, I didn't mean short term investing in shares. I mean things like term deposits and 5 to 7% guarantees that banks are offering. A place to put my money while looking for property.If your into property investing then you will keep looking and some of us will find some good buys.

The good thing about forums is that you get grass root feelings not just what newspapers and analysts are saying.

Not contemplating any more property while the yields are so low and the 'plateau' is so recent.

I reckon it will take widespread pay rises for rentals to improve and that will bring interest rate hikes. And yes, I know the Govt is trying to keep a lid on pay rises (well, keeping the lid on rises for workers and aged pensioners that is :D :D ).

Amarantha said:
Does buying a PPOR count? We're hoping to do that in the next six months :)

Your PPOR is apersonal thing, err,.. obvioulsy.

Does VIC have First Home Stamp Duty Exemptions? If so then now is not a bad time to buy A PPOR i think. Next year may be better but each home has unique characteristics that you may want. It is a balance.

Be agressive and offer under the price wanted as Investors who need to sell may take it.

Remember to think with 5 years ahead in mind re family, job, needs, ownership structure ( you or your partner?).
when selecting your PPOR.

Peter 147 :)

Lplate said:
It could be interesting to know how many intending buyers are new to the market - first buy or gunna buy.
To answer your question Lplate, I have been buying (and selling consistently) for 23 (almost 24) years, and although predominantly a "property bull" :p I also have (and do) invest in the share market.

Jo

Back