Creating new land

Over the Christmas break, while many of us were spending a week or two by the sea in a rented house, David Storey was fitting out his new island.

The twenty-two-year-old graduate student at the University of Sydney bought the deed to his new piece of real estate at an auction on 14 December, and has since been settling in nicely.

And why wouldn't he? The property includes a gigantic abandoned castle, some beautiful beaches ripe for development, and ample potential for hunting and mining. What's more, Storey picked it up for what some might consider a snip: $35 333.

The only catch is that the island isn't really real. It exists only within the confines of cyberspace, inside a multi-player computer game called Project Entropia. But the money Storey paid for it is very real.

'I paid the computer gaming company,' he says, 'I deposited the money into the company's account and the company's representative inside the game handed me the deed to the island.'

The deed comes with rights. If other players come to the island to hunt or mine, Storey gets a percentage of their takings, automatically deposited into his account. On top of that, Storey will be able to sell five plots of virtual land on his virtual island a month for the next year, the total proceeds of which are expected to top $40 000. Other gamers are expected to buy the land to develop, hunt and mine themselves.

For a player in the MMORPG world, there are two ways to advance: spend a lot of time working inside the game on self improvement or making stuff, or simply buy better capabilities. Those games that forbid buying and selling have seen a thriving black market in characters, capability and in-game currency appear on e-bay, with over $8 million of virtual stuff auctioned on e-bay in the last six months.

Economic complexities
Until now, computer game manufacturers have been concentrating on perfecting the worlds they create for their players, whether that be a medieval kingdom with dragons and knights, or a suburban scene with neighbours and extra marital flings. Now, however, MMORPG managers are finding themselves managing enormous economies. Edward Castaneda, an academic at the University of Indiana has built a career out of studying the economics of these worlds.

By looking at how quickly players in MMORPGs accumulate wealth for toil, Castronova calculated that the average gamer has the same level of productivity as your average Bulgarian. More than that, by totalling up the number of players in the online world and their level of production, he reckons the economies of the online gaming world are about the same size as that of Namibia.

He says the important point is not whether his arithmetic is correct: 'Statistically and economically these worlds matter already, and its only 2004.'

Source: http://www.newmatilda.com/home/articledetailmagazine.asp?ArticleID=425&HomepageID=58

See also:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6807
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/17/news_6115292.html
http://www.project-entropia.com/Content.ajp?id=1537

BTW - that $33K was real AUD.

Think about it :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Now can I get an interest-free loan for land in cyberspace?

DOH!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D :D :D

But this sounds all very, very real. I suspect it's a limited market, but Acey, this stuff seems fascinating. I've seen people do very odd things in cyberspace and pay very good money for it. It doesn't surprise me that if someone can come up with an economic model that's rich enough, then owning land would be a reasonable thing. I've got colleagues who play the SIMS and talk about the people as if they were family.

Do you think there is something to be said for the emotional security of land, regardless of where it is. If you can use it, walk on it, get other people to interact with it, get paid for other people to use it, then it's probably good enough.

Very interesting article, Acey. Very interesting technology. I'll have to add these ones to my bookmarks.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one. I like real money and real estate :) far too much.

quintets said:
Personally, I wouldn't buy one. I like real money and real estate :) far too much.
Where's all your real money?

Stored in computers and not backed by physical resources (like gold).

How do you know you own real estate?

It's recorded somewhere electronically, though they may have a back-up piece of paper.

How do you make something real - create a demand for it :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hmmm...I can see my productivity at work is going to be shot to bits today.

Aceyducey said:
Where's all your real money?

Stored in computers and not backed by physical resources (like gold).
I'm not worried about my money stored in a computer in this world.

The question is the management of real estate and money stored in a computer running in a world that's being simulated on a computer in this world.

It's curious to know what legal system would apply in the virtual world. Do they need to create a virtual court and land titles office in the virtual world? Or do the participants assume that some outside court and land titles office has jurisdiction? And what happens if the computer crashes or an errant key decides to wipe the hard drive? Does this world have viruses?

How do you know you own real estate?

It's recorded somewhere electronically, though they may have a back-up piece of paper.

How do you make something real - create a demand for it :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey
So much of our commerce system is built on trust backed up by enforceable legal structures. But in a whole new world, it's like the wild, wild west again. If pioneers are willing to make it real for the followers, then something big in the world of virtual real estate might happen.

BTW, I work for a small computer company called IBM. Kinda worked on a project with Sim years ago, but didn't bump into him until I went to a SIG.:)

Jireh

I read a similar article some time ago and one particular game world found that some select individuals had a disproportianate level of the total "wealth" inside the game. They introduced a new item into the world which had no use or intrinsic value, but its rarity made it a desired commodity. Voila - wealth re-distributed to some extent.

quintets said:
It's curious to know what legal system would apply in the virtual world.
In this case it's the court of Sweden :)

Just like Intellectual Property (which is often ideas in peoples' heads) is a virtual thing managed by 'real world' courts, the objects & property in virtual worlds can be managed in real world jurisdictions - and have been for over ten years now.

There's quite a body of law for virtual worlds these days.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back