Review - "Grow Rich With The Property Cycle” - Kieran Trass.

Ok,. Here’s the next Kiwi book review. This one is “Grow Rich With The Property Cycle” by Kieran Trass. I’ve done a chapter summary as I thought the book contained way too much detail to just glibly write;”he says x”. It’s a loooonnnnggg review although I’ve tried to keep it as short as possible while still including the chapter overviews :eek:

Disclaimer: I get no direct reward this (monetary or other), I am not associated in any way with Kieran Trass (except for being a fellow Kiwi), all my opinions are just that, opinions & should be treated accordingly. :p

Book Summary:
A VERY detailed analysis of the market & what drives it based on his research & analysis of 1000’s (apparently) of his property portfolios. It’s the best I’ve seen on why property behaves the way it does, & is very readable. He uses NZ as a case study but explains how this model fits anywhere there’s a relatively free market i.e. Australia. A lot of this stuff is discussed on the forum but to have it all presented in one concise place is brilliant. Interesting conclusions on some stuff e.g. he sees interest rates as an influencer not a driver (have short term impact but don’t change phase of the cycle).

He explains the property cycle, the phases within it, & the strategies you can use through the cycle (“Wise Investor”) i.e. what types of area to buy & what to do with them. He focuses heavily on positive cashflow although he allows for some negative cashflow scenarios at certain stages. Along the way he debunks some myths, & provides a very interesting viewpoint that he backs up with his research. A very handy part of your toolkit & for those of you analysts who look at migration, population trends, GDP, etc, it’s a must-have. He is a proponent of both timing & time in the market. There are a few stories of warning used as examples, but only a few so it’s not a story by story style book.

To validate his claims would require a fairly detailed analysis of the data on an Australian slant (any volunteers? – there’s no way I’ll be able to fit this in for the next year or two)

Do I recommend it? Yes.

Rating 10/10. – It’s the only book I’ve seen that analyses & explains the drivers of the market & how to use them to your benefit.

Chapter Overview
1. What is the property cycle.
Details the 3 phases (Boom, Slump, Recovery)
The different timeframe of a full cycle i.e. 7-18 yrs
Based on NZ, but has relevance to anywhere there’s a ‘free market’ i.e. it’s a worldwide concept.
NZ has a smaller market so it responds to the cycle drivers quicker
Height of the boom to the low of the bust is a relatively short time (2-4 yrs)
Hot spots may perform against the overall trend for a short time but will eventually follow the major trend,
Major driver is ROI (affordability for owners)

2. Why it’s predictable
Length of cycle/phases change, the overall patterns don’t
Outer suburbs are more clearly defined & cyclical
Has Drivers & Influencers
Four classes of participant
Investor - demand driven by cost of holdings
Buyer – when owning is cheaper/comparable to renting
Vendor – Investor cashing up
Vendor – Owner selling to buy

3. The Clock
3 Phases with 3 stages in each phase (beginning, middle, and end)
Can’t consistently buck the trend
Most housing Indexes can be misleading (medians prices, etc)

4. Fear & Greed
He details what components of fear & greed operate for each type of participant in each phase

5. Key Drivers
These drive the market from one phase to the next
3 major categories - Financial, Demographic, Emotional. He details the components of these categories
Financial – Avg rent, ROI, finance aviliabiltiy, etc
Demographic- this dictates demand levels (migration, construction rates, vacancy rates, etc)
Emotional (herd mentality) combination of confidence & fear shows up in gentrification (renos), time to sell, volume of listings, etc
With all drivers need multiple of them to come together, a single driver won’t change the trend.

6. Market Influencers
Impact on immediate supply & demand, but have a temporary impact by changing or prolonging a trend
These include interest rates, confidence in property, alternate investments (how is property faring against these), inflation, legislative amendments, off-shore investors (Ozzies buying in Invercargill & Aucklanders buying in Oamaru spring to mind)
Interesting one here was his analysis shows interest rates as an influencer & not a key driver.

7. Recovery Phase
3 Stages within this phase
It’s the best time to buy
Analyses the key drivers & where they’ll be sitting in each stage of this phase
Property ROI, Affordability, & GDP are peaking
Construction, people/household, Gentrification (renos) are at a trough (low)
Focus in this phase is on good financials
Normally a shortage of rentals

NB: when he analyses the key Drivers (5 Demographic, 7 Financial, 4 Emotional) & what they’re doing for a phase (peak, trough, increasing, decreasing) he defines these at each of the three stages of a phase i.e. Affordability hits it’s low at the beginning of the slump, while Values, hit their low @ the end of the slump phase

8. Boom Phase
Shorter than the slump
Dominated by greed
“Wise investor” focuses on preparing for slump i.e. ensuring low LVR, good rent ability, etc.
Lots of greed around at this point & associated behaviour ‘get rich quick’ scams, OTP’s getting re-sold multiple times b4 settlement, lots of speculation.
Peak of - Net Migration, Employment, Property Construction, Rents, Incomes, Finance Availability, Gentrification, Sales
Trough of – Vacancy rates, Time to sell, Listings.

9. Slump Phase
Fear dominates this phase (greed at the beginning but that soon changes)with loads of horror stories, negative media, etc
Prices will still increase but slow & steady is now the order of the day
Increasing vacancy rates
Wise Investor = positive cashflow, upper socio economic areas
Peak – Vacancy rates, People/household, values, time to sell, listings
Trough – Sales, Affordability, GDP, Values, Employment ( & Others)

10. How to Survive the Property Cycle
Defines a simple rinse & repeat way of going broke in the property cycle as an example of how to go wrong
Cycle is cyclic, so are most Property Investors (most invest at end of boom)
Successful PI’s have a number of traits (he defines 14 of these)
Recommends “Interest rate Averaging”, which is breaking your loans into $100k portions & fixing these for varying time periods i.e. 1 = variable, 1= 1yr, 1= 2yr, etc,
Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint
Focus on the fundamentals i.e. ROI not # of properties
Clearly define what financial freedom is & how you’re going to achieve it i.e. 10 properties in 5 yrs might not deliver it (unless you follow Steve Navra)

11. When to buy
It’s always a good time for a good deal
Deals should be SAFE
S – Sensible based on your financials
A – Affordable – factor in a 3% rate rise & how’re you sitting ?
F – Friendly Vendor = keener to sell than you are to buy
E – Easily rentable or resellable
Reviews how to find out how motivated a vendor is, you must be observant & notice the small clues
Don’t waste time with an unmotivated vendor (unless the deal makes great sense at market price)
Details what you should focus on & how at which phase & stage within the phases

12. Finance Cycle
Explains the interaction between finance & the property cycle

13. The end of the property cycle ?
Reviews the arguments against the property cycle & explains why it will persist.

Has an appendix with graphs of key drivers over house price index.

Cheers
Mark

Mark , Sounds like a worthwhile book.

re

Height of the boom to the low of the bust is a relatively short time (2-4 yrs)

My observation during the last cycle was that this wasn't so. It varied according to areas. Although I have no detailed analysis to back it up my feeling is that places nearer the centre of the property wave tend to bottom earlier and rises sooner ( obviously ;) ... though not as fast ) while places further away from the centre of the property wave tend to bottom latter , closer to the next boom , and when they rise they rise faster.

See Change

Mark,

A great review. Thankyou so much. This saves a lot of time and money on books that are either a old idea written a new way or just designed to gloss over everthing without too much 'in depth' analysis.

Think i'll go and buy it.

Haven't seen it at the bookstores. Is is easily available in Australia?

Regards,
Jason

SC will be pleased to know that there is still no reversal of values in regional Qld.

All areas, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton and Cairns had about 25% increase in the '04 year. Townsville 9% in the last qtr but Cairns was flat.

The bust hasn't begun here yet. Make of it what you will.

Thommo

Thommo & Sea Change, that was probably my only negative on the book, if you look at Australia as a whole the trend can be in different phases in different parts of the country (he does make some comments around this). I suppose my reading from this would be to analyse the history of your area against country history & draw your own conclusions. His line was that hot spots (SE Qld ?) will buck the trend for a short time but will eventually go the way of the overall trend. Or maybe given the size of Australia SE Qld has it's own key drivers & these will drive it's market, not the overall Australian key drivers. That'd be nice to know now wouldn't it :D

An similar but not so good example of here in Melb, I was shown a property guide history book the other day, if you looked at Melton it took nearly 10yrs for prices to recover after the late 80's, Glen Eira (Caulfied, Ormond, etc) the impact of the slump was over in a couple of years & they moved up continually from there (a bit slowly though) making new highs fairly quickly. So the cycle was more extreme in the outer suburbs, but they all followed the one major cycle. This does make sense when looking at his recommended strategies i.e. the best areas are only bought into in the slump, early recovery phases as that's the only time they deliver positive cashflow or major equity gains due to buying below market value.

Hhhmmmmm...this one has me thinking, the analyst in me is coming out.... :eek:

Cheers

Mark

MarkR said:
Thommo & Sea Change, that was probably my only negative on the book, if you look at Australia as a whole the trend can be in different phases in different parts of the country (he does make some comments around this). I suppose my reading from this would be to analyse the history of your area against country history & draw your own conclusions. His line was that hot spots (SE Qld ?) will buck the trend for a short time but will eventually go the way of the overall trend. Or maybe given the size of Australia SE Qld has it's own key drivers & these will drive it's market, not the overall Australian key drivers. That'd be nice to know now wouldn't it :D

An similar but not so good example of here in Melb, I was shown a property guide history book the other day, if you looked at Melton it took nearly 10yrs for prices to recover after the late 80's, Glen Eira (Caulfied, Ormond, etc) the impact of the slump was over in a couple of years & they moved up continually from there (a bit slowly though) making new highs fairly quickly. So the cycle was more extreme in the outer suburbs, but they all followed the one major cycle. This does make sense when looking at his recommended strategies i.e. the best areas are only bought into in the slump, early recovery phases as that's the only time they deliver positive cashflow or major equity gains due to buying below market value.

Hhhmmmmm...this one has me thinking, the analyst in me is coming out.... :eek:

Cheers

Mark

What you say could be summed up by the old maxim "All real estate is local".

My experience is that the tropics have a different set of drivers and go into slumps a couple of years after the south, but take a couple of years extra to recover. Maybe w e a r e j u s t a b i t s l o w e r :)

Mark

In most Australian cities you will find there is a difference in timing of the growth across inner middle and outer suburbs.

In Brisbane we noticed that prime inner city suburbs such as Hawthorn, Bulimba,etc recovered quickly after the late '80s boom that finished in 1990. You will find that prices in these suburbs doubled from 1990 to 2000. In the same time middle and outer suburbs went backwards. The statistics will show you almost nil growth over this period....yes 10 years of no growth!! If you owned properties in the outer and middle ring suburbs in this time you would have felt like a dill.

Then prices started to turn in 2000. The inner suburbs moved fast while the outer suburbs showed some signs of growth. By 2002 priced had recovered to where they should have been in 2000 and then we had a dramatic rise in 03 and 04 where priced doubled in a very short time.

So what caused this the above events.

The inner suburbs have a shortage of properties therefore there is constant demand pushind prices up. This is also combined with the effect of gentrification which is also a key driver of housing prices. This is because as older people move out younger couples move into the street and spend thousands on renovating tired old houses. This gives the street better appeal leading to higher prices.

The outer suburbs generally has an ample supply of properties as new land is always being released. The crunch came when developers were caught short as the Queensland migration numbers soared. This was also coupled with increased numbers of southern investors finally attracted to the perfomance in Queensland property.

Therefore cycles while they exist behave according to local supply and demand curves.

Regards

Sailesh

Thanks Mark for the comprehensive review.

It is genuinely appreciated and if you ever do get to Auckland drop me a line as it would be good to meet you and maybe catch up for a coffee.

My book has recently been recognised as relevant in the USA with Penguin Books USA placing one of the largest orders of an NZ book ever for stocks of my book. So it will be available from April 2005 at Amazon or now from Hybrid Group

For more of my thoughts and a few extracts from my book see the thread
Property Cycle or Bicycle?

Sailesh Channan said:
Therefore cycles while they exist behave according to local supply and demand curves.
But are they really curves or are they particles? Or both at the same time!

Personally I'm beginning to come around to the superstring theory of property investment. It casts new dimensions on the quest for a Unified Home & Field Theory.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back with a big bang Acey..good to see.

Kieran, my pleasure, like I wrote it's nice to see someone put this sort of info out there for review/analysis.

Cheers

Mark

Aceyducey said:
But are they really curves or are they particles? Or both at the same time!

Personally I'm beginning to come around to the superstring theory of property investment. It casts new dimensions on the quest for a Unified Home & Field Theory.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

You have me stumped on this one??

Please elaborate.

To me cycles are a warning of impending doom. Therefore if you know that something is about to happen you will travel cautiousely....a bit like the weather forcast. If they predict a storm then you may take extra precautions, but you doesnt stop you from going out.

With property I believe opportunities are around all the time if you care to spend the time researching.

Sailesh,

It's a physics joke.

Like:

To Catch a Lion in the Sahara Desert

Theoretical Physics Methods

The Dirac method
We assert that wild lions can ipso facto not be observed in the Sahara desert. Therefore, if there are any lions at all in the desert, they are tame. We leave catching a tame lion as an exercise to the reader.

The Schrödinger method
At every instant there is a non-zero probability of the lion being in the cage. Sit and wait.

The nuclear physics method
Insert a tame lion into the cage and apply a Majorana exchange operator [6] on it and a wild lion.

As a variant let us assume that we would like to catch (for argument's sake) a male lion. We insert a tame female lion into the cage and apply the Heisenberg exchange operator [7], exchanging spins.

A relativistic method
All over the desert we distribute lion bait containing large amounts of the companion star of Sirius. After enough of the bait has been eaten we send a beam of light through the desert. This will curl around the lion so it gets all confused and can be approached without danger.

Experimental Physics Methods

The thermodynamics method
We construct a semi-permeable membrane which lets everything but lions pass through. This we drag across the desert.

The atomic fission method
We irradiate the desert with slow neutrons. The lion becomes radioactive and starts to disintegrate. Once the disintegration process is progressed far enough the lion will be unable to resist.

The magneto-optical method
We plant a large, lense shaped field with cat mint (nepeta cataria) such that its axis is parallel to the direction of the horizontal component of the earth's magnetic field. We put the cage in one of the field's foci. Throughout the desert we distribute large amounts of magnetized spinach (spinacia oleracea) which has, as everybody knows, a high iron content. The spinach is eaten by vegetarian desert inhabitants which in turn are eaten by the lions. Afterwards the lions are oriented parallel to the earth's magnetic field and the resulting lion beam is focussed on the cage by the cat mint lense.
Source: http://www.gksoft.com/a/fun/catch-lion.html

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Kieran said:
Thanks Mark for the comprehensive review.

It is genuinely appreciated and if you ever do get to Auckland drop me a line as it would be good to meet you and maybe catch up for a coffee.

My book has recently been recognised as relevant in the USA with Penguin Books USA placing one of the largest orders of an NZ book ever for stocks of my book. So it will be available from April 2005 at Amazon or now from Hybrid Group

For more of my thoughts and a few extracts from my book see the thread
Property Cycle or Bicycle?

Keiran

I have just spent the weekend reading your book and was very impressed with your clear way of describing a potentially ocmplicated topic.

You decribe one of your key drivers to the cycle is population and population growth.

While population changes and deographics and supply and demand are important drivers of our property markets, I'm not sure that you "increases in population" are as relevant to Australia. Our population growth has been relatively steady, not cyclical like you describe.

What are your thoughts

Thanks Michael,

I certainly appreciate your feedback and focused heavily on trying to 'keep it simple' whilst I was writing my book. I have been reading your own companies newsletters for several years too (great reading!).

Whilst there is less volatility in Australias population growth (ie compared to NZ's) there are still times when that growth accelerates and then slows down creating the classic peaks and troughs I describe in my book. It's just that in Australia it appears those peaks and troughs have not been as extreme as in NZ. So I do believe that Australias population grwoth rate has been cyclical but not as noticeably so as NZ's.

I have just spoken with my publisher about the lack of availability of my book in Australian bookstores. They have suggested that anyone in Australia wanting a copy should visit a major Australian bookstore (ie one that has a national chain of stores) and ask them whether they stock it or not (published by Penguin books NZ).

My publisher tells me that if enough (ie ten or so) people ask for it then the bookstore will request stock from Penguin NZ.

P.S. We have just received our second large order (in a month) for more stock for the USA so looks like it's already selling well over there...

I'll be encouraging everyone at the Canberra cashflow game next week to go into a bookstore and request a copy.

All my joking above aside, your book sounds very interesting Keiran.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I've ordered a copy at A&R in Woden.

They didn't find it immediately- but when they found it in Amazon, were able to find it on whatever other system they used.

They say that it will be available in Australia in May.

Just to let you know my books first print run (7,500) has sold out within 6 months of release in NZ.

My publisher Penguin Books are frantically printing more after we got caught out by several (unanticipated) large orders from the USA which took all remaining stock from NZ.

It also looks like the second print run will sell quickly too on the back of increasing sales volumes in NZ, demand from the USA and also now from the UK as well as Australia.

Back