Aussie drug dealers (alleged)

I think it's terrible that the youth of today are (allegedly) smuggling drugs for money. I think that the AFP did the right thing in having the latest arrested in Bali rather than here in Australia even though it could mean the death sentence.

Mary said:
I think it's terrible that the youth of today are (allegedly) smuggling drugs for money. I think that the AFP did the right thing in having the latest arrested in Bali rather than here in Australia even though it could mean the death sentence.

Its a difficult one that one.. I'm completely anti-death penalty.. but the thought of allowing people to smuggle drugs out so they can be dealt with in their own country is just wrong isnt it..

How could these 9 be SOO stupid given all the current Schappelle Corby publicity and what a disgusting reputation our country must have in Bali.. if its not the drunken, disgusting behaviour of Aussie Louts in the streets of Bali at nights its our young people (allegedly) smuggling drugs through their country.

Aceyducey said:
.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=1130&date=20050317[/url])

There's always been a simple answer - remove the $ incentive.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Only 1 real way to do that - Legalise it! Yeah Id like to see that ;)

I think it's terrible that the youth of today are (allegedly) smuggling drugs for money.

Yes it is terrible and so are the consequences.

How distraught would the parents of these young people be feeling.

Imagine raising a child to 18 only to find they've done such a foolish thing and now face the death penalty. It would be a bloody nightmare.

Being young is for making lots of mistakes and learning. :(

Sure, there's bad eggs out there but unfortunately I think some young ones are naive and some are just hormonally prone to temporarily not using their scone.

What purpose does the death penalty serve on young ones like that?

A86

yes it is a tragic waste of youth. the upside of course is that the drugs they didn't import could of been the drugs that your child or loved one used to shoot up and die with on a one off experimentation. it's a tough rap but at the end of the day if you deal in heavy drugs you have to expect a death sentence. it's a bit like walking onto a freeway without looking and being surprised to be hit by a bus - foolish yes, but no less forgiving for the foolishness.

Hard one to call, but you have to think that these people must have had some idea of the consequences. Compelling evidence too, with the footage showing the drugs taped to their bodies. Don't know what they were thinking, and obviously feel for their parents. As far as the death penalty, it's pretty massive isn't it, BUT when are people going to learn. Not saying I support the death penalty, but if one of my family was ever murdered and it was an obvius case, well then, so be it. Only thing I can think of against the death penalty is where you hear of cases where the charged person claims their innocence for years after being imprisoned, with all their pleas falling on deaf ears, then many years later someone comes forward and admits guilt for the crime. The original perpetrator is released with a pardon, but what if it is too late.

Regards
Marty

kissfan said:
As far as the death penalty, it's pretty massive isn't it, BUT when are people going to learn. Not saying I support the death penalty, but if one of my family was ever murdered and it was an obvius case, well then, so be it.

My beef with the Death Penalty is this.. It drags on and on and on.. appeals, legal challenges, clemency requests, prison vigils, last minute stays of execution, etc ..

With a 'lock them up and throwaway the key' approach its usually done and dusted quite quickly and effectively.. 2-5 yrs tops and its over. The perpetrator is locked up and everyone gets on with their lives again.

Additionally, that 10-20yrs of appeals etc for the Death Penalty must be horrendous for the perpetrators family, the process of obtaining the death penalty and applying it causes ripples through so many lives for SO long after the actual crime was committed..

Just look at the most shocking crimes that have occurred in Australia.. with a few notable exceptions the trial happened quickly and the person was locked up and you never heard from them again.

agent 86 said:
Yes it is terrible and so are the consequences.

How distraught would the parents of these young people be feeling.

Imagine raising a child to 18 only to find they've done such a foolish thing and now face the death penalty. It would be a bloody nightmare.

A86

Imgine being such a bad parent you raised a child who would even consider drug smuggling for a few dollars....

Dunc - I'm really glad you explained why you were opposed the death penalty, I hadn't thought of that angle.

I must admit to being in favour of the death penalty. For every innocent person who may receive the death penalty I believe there would be another 10 who would be saved from it because of the deterrant. Plus, getting rid of Barrie Watts, Martin Bryant and others like them appeals to me. I do take your point Dunc but would rather 10 years of appeals costs than 40yrs of incarcination costs. The whole trial by media doesn't appeal though :(

As for these 9 kids, I think there may be a bit of a trade off being done here. The Bulletin had a story on Schapelle Corby in which they state everyone in the Bali court believes Corby is innocent, the judge, prosecution, everyone. This is why the judge allowed the evidence of the prisoner and the prosecutors have not been pushing quite so hard, however they would love nothing more than to make someone an example of...now here's their chance. Possibly a deal has been done, we give you these 9, they are caught red handed...you let Schapelle go because we all know she's inncocent. They get to make headlines and get their point across, an innocent person rightly goes free. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

Dare 2 Dream said:
Imgine being such a bad parent you raised a child who would even consider drug smuggling for a few dollars....

Dare 2 Dream,

Please read the rest of my post.

It's not always about being a bad parent.

A86

I heard an interview with the father of one of the nine who said that his daughter was always strapped for cash and doing it hard. she had a lot of bills to pay at the moment including a few grand for repairs to her car. he said he couldn't always help her out even if he wanted to (he didn't have spare cash). and they were offered $10K plus a free trip to Bali and all they had to do was strap on some druugs and bring it home. easy choice for her.

agent 86 said:
Dare 2 Dream,

Please read the rest of my post.

It's not always about being a bad parent.

A86

You hit a bit of a nerve here too, dare 2 dream. I'm sort of hoping you said that tongue in cheek but I don't think so.

You can be the best parent in the world and your kids can still get caught up in it and believe me, the ones that suffer most are the parents and other close family.

Imagine doing everything for your kids, giving them every opportunity in life, always being there for them and they then turn to a life involving drugs.

I honestly wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Last edited:

10K mmmm
Running the risk of getting caught for that amount. I must value life a bit more then others.
How much money is worth a death sentence.

My understanding is that the area of the brain that assesses risk and manages impulsive behaviour is not fully formed at that age. A recent US reseach project looked at this is relation to road accidents involving young drivers.

"New US research suggests that the part of the brain which inhibits reckless behaviour may not be fully developed until 25 meaning that young drivers may underestimate risk."

I guess if that is true of driving then it would be true in other areas of life. Perhaps they never weigh up the "is my life worth more than $10K" question and instead focus on the lure of that $10K.

I really feel for the parents in this situation.

10,000 smackers to me is a lot less than it is to my parents. Of course wasn't there a model who wouldn't get out of bed for less. It's all relevant. For these "kids", 10 grand may be like winning lottery. Still, dumb, dumb decision. But as a parent of 10 and 12yo boys I'm also angry, I don't want my kids to be at the receiving end of their product. From that angle I say let them rot.

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

peteb said:
I heard an interview with the father of one of the nine who said that his daughter was always strapped for cash and doing it hard. she had a lot of bills to pay at the moment including a few grand for repairs to her car. he said he couldn't always help her out even if he wanted to (he didn't have spare cash). and they were offered $10K plus a free trip to Bali and all they had to do was strap on some druugs and bring it home. easy choice for her.
Isn't that just so sad. The parents are suffering too.

Strapped for cash and doing it hard? Who isn't? Some of us just get on with it and make choices for the long term. Sounds like she wanted money here & now, asap, easy money.... very sad. Impulsive decision or perhaps was influenced to believe it was going to be easy money.

Terrible situation. I bet the poor family and friends are all sick with worry, I would be if it was someone I knew. Stupid decision or not it is unnecessary for them to be in that sitution. Too awful.

peteb said:

It chills me each time I hear one of the parents ensure their child's conviction by confirming their guilt. Now would be a good time for those close to them to keep such thoughts to themselves :eek:

Unless someone is medically certified as being of very low intelligence or challenged so as to not understand the implications of thier actions I say those adults caught have to accept the consequences of thier actions.

Even 4 year olds can understand what is wrong and what is right as the basic level. There is no way they did not know what they were doing was wrong.

Had they got away with it would they would have done it again? Easy money if your that strapped.

We must accept our laws apply to us and another country laws applies to people there including visitors. We have no right to make laws in another country ans they have no right to do so here.

I would not be suprised if the capture in Bali was to trade for the Corby case which doesnot make sense in any form. Why would you take drugs to Bali? The place is probably full of it? And the bag was so big my 75 year old mum would have recognised what it was!

Everyone here takes responsibility for there actions. Being immature is no excuse on such an obvious breach of the law.

My bit, Peter 147

Back