They're trying to rip me off

In March I asked for a quote from a well known quantity surveyor firm to do a depreciation schedule for me for some properties in regional NSW. All up, there were 2 houses & a block of 4 Strata Titled units. The quote came back at $600 for the houses & $400 for each of the units. This was inclusive of GST.

When I got the schedules back the first house hadn't been done (apparently the tenant didn't allow access), the new kitchen had been omitted from the second house (they said they didn't know when it had been installed, so couldn't include it) and the 4 units were all lumped together as one schedule and they had charged GST on top of the price for the units.

Needless to say I was not very happy with this outcome. They told me to throw the schedule away for the house without the kitchen & they would send another out with the correct details. They didn't. They also told me that they couldn't do 4 separate schedules for the units as when I bought them I only had one purchase price on the contract not 4, and as part of the way they do their calculations relates to purchase price it was impossible to redo. Again I was not happy. They also had no excuses about the price & said they would call back and sort something out.

We have called them about 4 times about this & they ignore our calls. Will be sending them a lengthy e-mail tomorrow.

When I talked to the property manager about the schedules she advised me that the person doing them had arrived earlier than planned & even though she had arranged with all the tenants of the flats to allow him entry, he never went into them. There was one vacant at the time so he went into that one only & based his report on all four being identical.

Now this I have major issues with. He has charged me $1760 to do one schedule of one small 2 bed flat & multiplied it by 4. He has also charged me $600 to do the schedule for the house which is incomplete. I have said that I refuse to pay for the work as it is not what I asked for. What come back do they have if I don't pay for it? So far I have had no response from them at all.

It is getting close to the end of the year & I want to have my schedules complete so I can claim depreciation. I know I can back date it if it is not in when I do the rest of my tax, but this is frustrating.

If you were clear in what you asked for and you haven't received it, I'm not sure whether you are obliged to pay anything? After they get your e-mail (I can imagine how it will read) they may not be game to press for payment.

I'll be in the office all day tomorrow and I have a solution in mind. Give me a call and we'll chat about it.

Scott - 1300 660033

Oh boy!! One of my pet topics (check my posts and you'll see that for yourself)!

I'm guessing you're not going to tell us "which bank", but do tell us how things have progressed since your last post.

Did they come to the party?

Have you found any other solution?

I wonder why they think they can get away with such unprofessional conduct and I guess it's because we let them.

Don't.

skater said:
In March I asked for a quote from a well known quantity surveyor firm to do a depreciation schedule for me for some properties in regional NSW. All up, there were 2 houses & a block of 4 Strata Titled units. The quote came back at $600 for the houses & $400 for each of the units. This was inclusive of GST.

When I got the schedules back the first house hadn't been done (apparently the tenant didn't allow access), the new kitchen had been omitted from the second house (they said they didn't know when it had been installed, so couldn't include it) and the 4 units were all lumped together as one schedule and they had charged GST on top of the price for the units.

Needless to say I was not very happy with this outcome. They told me to throw the schedule away for the house without the kitchen & they would send another out with the correct details. They didn't. They also told me that they couldn't do 4 separate schedules for the units as when I bought them I only had one purchase price on the contract not 4, and as part of the way they do their calculations relates to purchase price it was impossible to redo. Again I was not happy. They also had no excuses about the price & said they would call back and sort something out.

We have called them about 4 times about this & they ignore our calls. Will be sending them a lengthy e-mail tomorrow.

When I talked to the property manager about the schedules she advised me that the person doing them had arrived earlier than planned & even though she had arranged with all the tenants of the flats to allow him entry, he never went into them. There was one vacant at the time so he went into that one only & based his report on all four being identical.

Now this I have major issues with. He has charged me $1760 to do one schedule of one small 2 bed flat & multiplied it by 4. He has also charged me $600 to do the schedule for the house which is incomplete. I have said that I refuse to pay for the work as it is not what I asked for. What come back do they have if I don't pay for it? So far I have had no response from them at all.

It is getting close to the end of the year & I want to have my schedules complete so I can claim depreciation. I know I can back date it if it is not in when I do the rest of my tax, but this is frustrating.

you have 4 years in which to back date if that is any help
Terminate the offer and refuse to pay. They have only agreed to a portion of what you said. Its an all or nothing deal.
That will get them off their butts and IMHO you have no legal obligation to them.

The accounts department has now sent me a nice letter of demand. Hubby called them & told them the reason we had not paid. They got the kitchen added into the schedule for the house, so we said when we receive that we will pay for it (if it is correct of course). They then sent me an offer for the units of $1000. They came up with that figure by saying the one inspection was worth $200 & 4 lots of schedules for $200 each. We sent them a very nice little note stating that we are willing to pay $200 for the inspection & $200 for one schedule as you cannot do schedules for units that have not been inspected.

So far no reply. Typical!

BTW I find it funny that all of a sudden they can do 4 schedules for the units now they want payment, when originally they said it was impossible to do.

skater said:
The accounts department has now sent me a nice letter of demand. Hubby called them & told them the reason we had not paid. They got the kitchen added into the schedule for the house, so we said when we receive that we will pay for it (if it is correct of course). They then sent me an offer for the units of $1000. They came up with that figure by saying the one inspection was worth $200 & 4 lots of schedules for $200 each. We sent them a very nice little note stating that we are willing to pay $200 for the inspection & $200 for one schedule as you cannot do schedules for units that have not been inspected.

So far no reply. Typical!

BTW I find it funny that all of a sudden they can do 4 schedules for the units now they want payment, when originally they said it was impossible to do.

Impossible to do.........great use their argument because you now know that if they do do it , it wont have been done properly............how could it have been if it was impossible

you also need to get all the units scheduled separately, so that each is a standalone with the ato and also if you come to sell them separately - push for the 4 schedules - don't take a lump one. my opinion only.

lizzie

skater said:
Hi guys, its not a bank, its a firm of quantity surveyors. They still are not being very helpful.

We get that. The "which bank" thing is a joke. An older person's joke, probably.

The point that is relevant is that you said it was a well known firm. The major firms have a fair bit of feedback about them here - did you check out this firm via threads and feedbacks here (before or after you dealt with them)? Most are a known quantity and the old "buyer beware" would apply to dealing with those where there has been negative feedback on a general forum like this.

In any case, this latest response from them on the units begs the question, HOW are they going to do the impossible now. Have they explained?

I'd ditch them and use another firm to get the job done, but I guess you're worried about that letter of deman from the Accounts Dept.

If you're worried about their action, you could pre-empt it with your own. You could complain to the governing body (AIQS) if they hassle you, but I'm not sure how effective that would be. You could also go to Fair Trading.

What did the depreciator guy suggest? I'd check out what the other major firms can and can't do in your specific situation.

Whatever you do, don't be bullied into using an inferior service or accepting something less than what you initially agreed to.

Hi, Hubby is dealing with them because I have had enough. They have now admitted that they only inspected one unit when they gave me the last offer, so we have told them that we will pay $400 only for the one unit they inspected. They rang Hubby today to say that if the units are not identical we cannot use the schedule they have done & will be sending out a letter stating this.

They have now redone the schedule for the house & included the kitchen, so we have sent payment for that one.

Scott at Depreciator was very helpful & has given me some good advice. Unfortunately he has just had a bunch done in the town my houses are in & as it's a regional, won't be there for a little time.

Hey skater, plain and simple - they ripped you off. Put differently, they did not provide an expected and reasonable level of service that justifies their invoice. Therefore, you don’t have to pay.

In the end, stuff them - don't give them squat. They can send as many threatening and demanding letters as they like - but they really can’t force payment from you in any way. They won’t dare take you to small claims court - its not worth their effort as you have a solid case of unprofessionalism and incompetence against them. And they defiantly won’t take it higher as solicitors fees will eat any profits they might of made out of their work for you.

As for this,
You could also go to Fair Trading.

Don't waste your time. The Office of Fair Trading is nothing more than a mouthpiece that no one listens to anymore. Sure, they’ll call the firm in question and try to get some sort of resolution, but don’t expect any substantial result. They’re simply an organisation that acts as moderators between disputing parties and in essence are powerless.

Back