Corby sentenced to 20 years.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1378650.htm
Schapelle Corby has been found guilty of importing a narcotic into Indonesia by a Bali court, sentenced to 20 years in jail and finded $13,875.

The 27-year-old beauty therapy student, from Queensland's Gold Coast, was accused of smuggling 4.1 kilograms of marijuana into Bali last October.

She has been held in prison in Denpasar since her arrest.

Corby had repeatedly argued the drugs found by airport officials in her bag were not hers.

Her lawyers insisted many people could have put the drugs into their client's bodyboard bag along the way from Brisbane to Bali, especially because it was not locked.

Corby changed planes in Sydney and her defence team has said she was the victim of a drug ring running narcotics from Brisbane to Sydney.

It said for some reason, the drugs were not removed from her bag in Sydney.

Prosecutors had called for Schapelle Corby to receive a life sentence.

That is just so sad. I want to ask the judge just one question, what possible motive did Schapelle have for importing the drugs into Bali? It just doesn't make sense. They are worth more here than there. If she had been found with them going from Bali back to Sydney/Brisbane, I would have believed she was guilty. But not the other way round.

This whole thing just amazes me on many levels:
* it was televised live on TV - we have become fixated on her plight
* the sentence does not match the crime - think bali bombers getting 3yrs
* i travel a lot - this could happen to me
* it makes me really sad to think that she's sentenced b'cos they didn't have a strong case to prove her innocence - the 'beyond reasonable doubt' issue musn't be part of their system
* if she is innocent, she must have some pretty bad karma to make up for some where along the way
* why would someone bring drugs to Bali when pot is sooo cheap there?

Does this make any of us not want to travel to Bali b'cos we think it's unfair - boycott them? I know for sure that I'm going to be rather paranoid about my luggage from now on!

What do you guys think?

Ecogirl

Yep, I'll never go there. Way too dangerous.

On another note, a friend at work just said that they are now offering to shrink-wrap your luggage up at Sydney airport. I think that's a step in the right direction. Only problem is, what if the crims get in, take off your shrink-wrap, put drugs in it, then shrink-wrap it again. Then you're totally guilty and have no chance of repreive!

luckyone said:
That is just so sad. I want to ask the judge just one question, what possible motive did Schapelle have for importing the drugs into Bali? It just doesn't make sense.

Well, apparently, there is a market for imported drugs in Bali due to the higher quality of them. Having said that, based on the quantity of the drugs found in Schapelle's bag, it doesn't make sense. I mean, how many people can get a dope fix from 4.1 kilograms of the stuff? The case would make more sense if she was found with say, a few grams of marijuana, but not 4 kilograms...

Having said that, I strongly believe she's innocent.

I for one, won't ever go to Bali. If I want beaches and that sort of atmosphere, I'll go to Fiji, (even though it's more expensive).

I hope that tourism in Bali plummets because of this.

Ecogirl said:
the sentence does not match the crime - think bali bombers getting 3yrs

I can't help but think of this also. The Indonesian justice system has a long way to go...

Ecogirl said:
it makes me really sad to think that she's sentenced b'cos they didn't have a strong case to prove her innocence - the 'beyond reasonable doubt' issue musn't be part of their system

Channel 9 have had an expert on the Indonesian legal system interviewed a few times on TV, and he had some interesting insights into their system, which is derived from a European type of system, which does presume innocence before guilt. While true, I can't help but think of the Chief Judge's comment along the lines of "Corby has not proven her innocence".

Again, I think the Indonesian system has a long way to go, and one can only hope that Corby's appeal process yields better Judges and a much better defence team. (The Government has provided for Corby, two QCs to assist).

Ecogirl said:
What do you guys think?

I think people should be careful with their luggage.

Put cable ties and locks on bags if possible, and if you want more security, then perhaps mark the cable ties distinctively, (i.e. paint them or notch them some how). Cable ties can only be destroyed to open a bag.

I watched it on TV today and one thing was interesting and was not picked up by any of the talking heads was that the judge spent some time talking about the legal definition of importation. It was basically bringing the drugs into Indonesia. Note that there is no "willingly" or "knowlingly" in there anywhere. I felt that even if it was proven that the drugs weren't there when she left Australia she would still be guilty unless the person(s) who did would stand up and say she was innocent. No wonder he has never had a not guilty verdict.

Very scary stuff and very sad too.

MIT

mit said:
I watched it on TV today and one thing was interesting and was not picked up by any of the talking heads was that the judge spent some time talking about the legal definition of importation. It was basically bringing the drugs into Indonesia. Note that there is no "willingly" or "knowlingly" in there anywhere. I felt that even if it was proven that the drugs weren't there when she left Australia she would still be guilty unless the person(s) who did would stand up and say she was innocent. No wonder he has never had a not guilty verdict.

Very scary stuff and very sad too.

MIT

Interesting indeed. I also watched it live, but must have missed it while cooking lunch, or I didn't hear the translation — which was hard to hear at times...

I will never consider going to Bali now and a quick whip around the office had 10 other people agree they wouldn't either, its not worth the risk.

Hi,

Not to mention local Balanise cheering in the courtroom when she was given the guilty verdict. Sick mongrels.

I really do feel sorry for this poor woman.

Cheers - Gordon

Well, i hope she gets to return to Queensland to do her sentence here than in Bali as our prison conditions will be much nicer for her.

Ecogirl, i'm also amazed at the amount of media attention she's getting. I wonder if we'd also get a 'live' telecast if the accused was an overweight, balding 50 year old man who was found with 4.1kg of marijuana in his body board bag?

The old debate about why you'd bring marijuana to Bali (coal to Newcastle) is interesting. Apparently 'Aussie Gold' is very sought after in Bali compared to the local variety which is not very good in quality. A lot of expats and western tourists also prefer to buy their marijuana from a westerner, not a local person for fear of being arrested and i guess that's why it makes sense to import marijuana into Bali.

For those of you who say they won't be travelling to Bali, i'd suggest you don't travel anywhere if you're worried about getting caught with drugs. It happens hundreds of times everyday. Instead of thinking a 'boycott' is appropriate, perhaps your anger should be directed at the Australian airports and the Australian Federal Government for not providing enough evidence to get Corby off. This was the reason she was found guilty: because her evidence was not sufficient enough to get her off.

I tend to agree with Australian legal experts who say that Corby got off lightly considering her crime (since being found guilty).

Taken from http://www.theage.com.au/news :

Prosecutor Ida Bagus Wiswantanu said he believed the judge had erred and should have given Corby a life sentence.

"For us justice is life for anyone who imports that much marijuana,'' he told reporters.

An Australian expert on Indonesia's legal system agreed the sentence was unusually light by Indonesian standards.

A life sentence had been on the cards, said the director of Melbourne University's Asia Law Centre, Dr Tim Lindsey, said.

"I actually think we'll probably hear a lot of protests from the Indonesian anti-narcotics movement ... given that this is a really significant problem in Indonesia,'' he told the Nine Network.

Last edited:
Personally all my disgust is focused on the Australian public.

We supported and revelled in the media circus.

Next up lions.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
We supported and revelled in the media circus
If you've seen the movie "Chicago", you'd probably have had a strong feeling of deja-vu :rolleyes:

Give 'em the old three-ringed circus,
Stun and stagger 'em...

GP

GreatPig said:
If you've seen the movie "Chicago", you'd probably have had a strong feeling of deja-vu :rolleyes:

Give 'em the old three-ringed circus,
Stun and stagger 'em...

GP

My comments.

1. True.

2. If she is innocent, her defence team have done a very poor job. She has been offered two QC for free experienced in bali law and declined? Why?

3. As for the cable ties and locks how do you prove they were there in the first place?

Digital photos with date reference before take off. :confused:

4. I have never and never will go to Bali.

5. if you travel you accept the laws of another country. The severity of the sentence is irrelevant. Her guilt or otherwise and fairness of trial is what matters.

6. If she was a he, 50 years old, bald, single, no children etc..no one would care.

Peter 147

I have been to Bali (10 years ago). It was a wonderful place once you get away from Kuta.

I have been personally fed up with the exposure of this case has had in the media. The lawyers team obviously knew how to use the media, and the media has been very happy to play along with it. They have put their case in the media, then aggressively attacked those who dared to oppose their view (like Mr. Kelty as far as I remember).

So many people say they think she's innocent, based on the media reporting. I don't know enough about the case to have an opinion. But I am appaled at this "trial through the media" that has occured in Australia. I didn't get the feeling that the reporting was fully objective. I'm afraid many Australians have picked up misconceptions of Indonesia as a result of this.

Cheers,

Last edited:
House_Keeper said:
I'm afraid many Australians have picked up misconceptions of Indonesia as a result of this.

And what's worse - the Indonesians have probably picked up a more accurate picture of Australians.

Petty, parochial, prejudiced.

Shame Australia shame!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

House_Keeper said:
So many people say they think she's innocent, based on the media reporting. I don't know enough about the case to have an opinion. But I am appaled at this "trial through the media" that has occured in Australia. I didn't get the feeling that the reporting was fully objective. I'm afraid many Australians have picked up misconceptions of Indonesia as a result of this.

Cheers,

I totally agree with you House_Keeper.
It seems the Australian media have led us to believe Corby was innocent the whole time.
It also seems the Australian media have led us to believe the Bali 9 are guilty.

In both cases the defendent's were caught with drugs in their possession.
I'm not sure why Corby wouldn't have noticed the huge difference in weight when she took her body board bag off the carouselle. Body boards only weigh a few kg's and she had an extra 4.1kg in it, not to mention an extra bit of stuffing the size of a large pillow.

Back