How do you stay motivation??

Hi All,

Far too often, I loose my motivation to invest for the future. :rolleyes:

Am i lazy? Do i think "It will be right mate"!

I have just done a couple of things that are positive moves towards my next IP. :D But then i might not do any more for a month ot two.

By my signature below, it seems that i have my s@#t together, well i don't.

Then i come across a thread on here that inspires me and i again get of my bum and do something. This sort of on one day off the next, will not get me to where i want to go.

I said to my wife the other night " We need to get our financial stuff tegether for the future"

Her response " I thought that you do all that stuff" :rolleyes:

My wife comes from a background where the man looks after all of the $$$ stuff.

So my question after all that is "How do i stay motivated"?

How do other people stay motivated????

HELP

GG

One day at a time.

And every single day, do at least one thing moving towards that goal.

Your goal statement leaves a lot of days between now and then.

G'day GG

I'm similar to you, there are spurts of activity and lots of inactivity. I guess I've managed to get the wife involved, sometimes she tells me to stop thinking about investing but for the most part she is supportive. The wife looks for new IP's to buy, but it gets demoralising when you work out that you can't afford anything else, working on that problem.

I hope once we get some more cashflow we will be motivated to go and purchase or at least start looking for a couple more IP's.

In a real tight money situation right now, so can't invest in shares, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

cheers
quoll

Hi GG,

I find it hard to be motivated in the property scene, when the market is at an all time high, and Im not sure its substainable short term.

I could buy a property now, but think I would be much wiser to wait, but it does get frustrating.

Guess you just have to work on investing in other areas, and saving deposits etc.

Do something every day no matter how small....Read, think, do affirmations in the car, research on the train. I've taken some decent hits in the last 6 months (mainly of my own making), but my desire combined with an awareness of the result of inaction (working for life) keep me going. Some of my friends are amazed at how positive I stay despite the small burdens I'm facing, but I'm training my mind to be positive & it's working (most of the time).

Set your goals for long-term & short-term, focus on the TOP 12 month ones by writing them daily. This will get you VERY focused.

Today I finally got to cross off one of my top goals for 2005 (OK house doesn't settle for 45 days but it's bought & underway). Writing them daily & not being able to cross them off makes me think VERY hard about what I'm not doing & ensures that if I do something I think 'how does this help me reach goal x'.

When all else fails, hug my son & visualise what it's going to be like taking him & my daughter to & from school instead of being at work all week. Taking him to Fiji, Komodo Island, etc during school holidays. Taking my wife to Spain & Mexico, lying on the beach with my wife, going to see a World Cup Rugby final, flying back to Christchurch for every Super 14 Crusaders game for one year (possibly in a corporate box - haven't decided yet) finally getting to bare-foot water ski (after 25 yrs), teaching my son to ski, & most importantly finally getting to provide a service to society instead of being just another number, the day dreaming of those things & feeling what they'd be like doesn't get me going is the day I'm dead !

Cheers...time to get back to work.......
Mark

Things that motivate me:

* Being stuck in morning traffic jams
* Listening to my work colleagues complain about their miserable marriages and mundane lives
* Dealing with other people's trivial and banal issues 9-to-5, mon to fri
* Envisaging myself at 40 and still living the same old routine

That's enough for me...it makes me want to spend every spare minute I have working on my property goals.

George

GG, you bring up a good point. I beleive it's very challenging to stay CONTINIOUSLY motivated ALL THE TIME. I am sure there are people out there that can ( Mr Robbins :D ) but for me it seems to also come in cycles.

One of the small things that has helped me are the motivational quotes of the day. You can subsribe on this site

Remember that all good things TAKE TIME. Recently I received this extract in an email from Dr Covey. Enjoy !

"The Solution: Center on Principles

These are problems that common approaches can't solve. Quick, easy, free, and fun approaches won't work on the "farms" of our lives because there we're subject to natural laws and governing principles. Natural laws, based upon principles, operate regardless of our awareness of them or our obedience to them. Often habits of ineffectiveness are rooted in our social conditioning toward quick-fix, short-term thinking. In school, many of us procrastinate and then successfully cram for tests. But does cramming work on a farm? Can you go two weeks without milking the cow, and then get out there and milk like crazy? Can you "forget" to plant in the spring, goof off all summer, and then hit the ground real hard in the fall to bring in the harvest? We might laugh at such ludicrous approaches in agriculture, but then in academic environments, we might cram to get grades and degrees.

The only thing that endures over time is the law of the farm: I must prepare the ground, put in the seed, cultivate, weed, water and nurture growth. So also in a business or a marriage there is no quick fix where you can just move in and magically make everything right with a positive mental attitude and a package of success formulas.

Correct principles are like compasses: they are always pointing the way. And if we know how to read them, we won't get lost, confused, or fooled by conflicting voices and values. Principles such as fairness, equity, justice, integrity, honesty and trust are not invented by us: they are the laws of the universe that pertain to human relationships and organizations. They are part of the human condition, consciousness, and conscience.

People instinctively trust those whose personalities are founded upon correct principles. We have evidence of this in our long-term relationships. We learn that technique is relatively unimportant compared to trust, which is the result of our trustworthiness over time. When trust is high, we communicate easily, effortlessly, instantaneously. We can make mistakes, and others will still capture our meaning. But when trust is low, communication is exhausting, time-consuming, ineffective, and inordinately difficult.

Most people would rather work on their personality than on their character. The former may involve learning a new skill, style, or image, but the latter involves changing habits, developing virtues, disciplining appetites and passions, keeping promises, and being considerate of the feelings and convictions of others. Character development is the best manifestation of our maturity. To value oneself and, at the same time, subordinate oneself to higher purposes and principles is the paradoxical essence of highest humanity and the foundation of effective leadership.

Principle-centered leaders are men and women of character who work with competence "on farms" with "seed and soil" and who work in harmony with natural, "true north" principles and with the law of the harvest. They build those principles into the center of their lives, into the center of their relationships, into the center of their communications and contracts, into their management processes, and into their mission statements. "

GG,

Get excited. And get ambitious. Listen to the gurus who DO have something to say to you if you are lacking in motivation - they are generally better at that than at fine detail.

Be active. Think "velocity of money" and make your equity multiply. Study. Keep a journal.

And talk with your mates here to keep the fire alight.

Particularly, read this forum and Investor Resources as two of the most valuable. You can and will do it.

I am a SAHW (stay at home pg wife) so I have plenty of time to work on the property business. It's not even a registered business. I enjoy what I do so it's not hard to motivate myself plus I'd be really bored otherwise. I love having pet projects to keep me occupied.

My husband helps out a lot too. He has a day job is sales but he has a lot of flexibility since it's a comission based job. He deals with all the trades people and all the nitty gritty details whilst I look out for new projects, plan, handle finances, loans, legals, banking etc

My husband and I have quite different personalities but complement each other so well.

One of my biggest motivation is knowing that IT IS ACHIEVABLE! people say reaching 1 mil is the most difficult. I may have given up a long time ago if I listened to them but having been there and done it....500k net worth in 2 years....not only is 1 mil achievable...it may not even be that hard.

My biggest motivator...

FEAR... of living out my final years in that country called POVERTY!!

Thats where I started and after going through all the years I have no desire to be back on that ship!

Silene101

G'day GG,

I once heard the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire was that a millionaire reads his goals once a day.... the billionaire reads them twice a day.

How often are you reading your goals?

Might sound trite, but I didn't have too many goals until 1999 - life went on, we had the occasional goal (and achieved them, when we really wanted them) but not too many timelines over time.

As such, we didn't achieve much either. Things changed a bit in 1999 (I was now a helluva lot closer to retirement, and the prognosis wasn't looking too good :D

Today, things are looking much better, with the 10 year goal now down to around 7 years. And, yes, I read them daily - but only once, as I don't want to be a BILLIONAIRE !!! ;)

Regards,

Les G'day GG,

I once heard the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire was that a millionaire reads his goals once a day.... the billionaire reads them twice a day.

Question - What would happen if you read your goals three time a day ??? :D

Hi Gordon

For me, the trick to staying motivated is that is has become a way of life.

Motivation is not related to any particular project or goal or money, it's just how I live.

Once properties are bought, the very momentum of tending the herd keeps the ball rolling (to mix a metaphor or two).

I suppose it helps that I am constantly motivating other people to look outside the square and to see what can be achieved, but for myself there is always a plan or two in the back of my mind.

Those plans are more on how to act, not if to act, so perhaps that's the way to go.

You use a lot of power words, and words such as 'need', as in " We need to get our financial stuff tegether for the future".

But should and must and need are not motivating words. They repress us and make us feel inadequate or somehow naughty or blameworthy if we don't do whatever it is. Lose weight, stop smoking, buy investment properties.

The only time we actually do something is when we want to do it.

Try shifting your words around when you speak to yourself. Use directive words, action words, not emotive or subjective words.

For example, I am going to build three townhouses. Three lovely, fantastic, beautiful townhouses. I don't have to build them, I don't need to build them, I want to build them and I will.

Gordon, you don't have to explain yourself to anybody. Particularly, you don't have to excuse your ambitions, ambitions are OK, ambition is not a sordid little habit which shouldn't be told to anyone.

We are raised to be modest, not to boast, and not to want.

But wanting is not being greedy nor boastful nor prideful nor egotistical. And sometimes it takes a while to realise that taking pride in our own achievements is healthy and demonstrates true self respect.

Are you proud of what you have already achieved? Do you think that if you want anything more that you are pushing your luck? Come to terms with what you have already gained and you will see that your achievements are appropriate. From a social point of view, to make good quality housing available for other people is highly commendable. See that what you are doing is worthwhile, the fact that it will make you rich is secondary.

When you find the key to your own door and open that door, you won't need mechanical motivations. I don't do any affirmations, I just plot and scheme and plan and act. It's easy and carries far less baggage.

Have fun, change your self-expression and just go and buy something.

Cheers

Kristine

Gordon Gekko said:
How do other people stay motivated????
Hi GG,

I've got a spreadsheet. I look at it every day. It tells me I'll have $11.8M in equity by the time I'm 55, provided I stick to the plan. That motivates me.

Cheers,

KJ

Make it visible every day

Print your goals on a 3x5 card or back of a business card.

Put this where you'll see it every day (eg mirror when shaving, car dashboard). Say out loud every time you see it.

Also put up pictures of what it means - the properties, the catamaran, the holidays, whatever. Put up models of cars, etc.

Make it visual, make it real to you EVERY DAY and your motivation will never fade.

Aceyducey said:
Another idea is to write them inside your glasses/sunglasses.

That way you'll never miss them!

Hehe... :)

Problem is that anything that close to the eye is usually so blurry you'd see straight through it... :p

What I do is keep www.somersoft.com/forums bookmarked in my browser's bookmarks bar, and try to read new posts each day. That's usually enough to keep me motivated to learn new things. :)

Learning, in my opinion, is a good way to keep motivated. ;)

In my case I just look a my family every day, even their photo's is enough... it's not about me... it's simply about them! That the best motivation all the rest is just stuff.
Stephen

Back