Oops I did it again

Sorry all you Britney fans, I'm not talking about music, just my insatiable appetite for property.

I went to an auction yesterday and registered. First the agent says to me "Are you registering for this one as well?" Then another bidder says "Oh no, not you again!" It appears I am getting quite a reputation. Mind you I have met the other bidder at a few other auctions & each time we have been the only two bidding. We stand around for a bit talking & the Agents come over & ask us if we know the laws about collusion. All done "tongue in cheek."

So, the auctioneer starts the auction, he asks for bidders. We both stand there saying nothing, each waiting for the other to start. We, as usual, are the only two bidders. In no time the auctioneer declares the property passed in. He packs up & goes. We look at each other, say that was quick, & ask each other how come you didn't open. He says he was going to open with $130k, I say that was generous I was going to open with $100k. We laugh, talk some more & wait for everyone to leave except the listing Agent, who knows us both well.

Eventually there is just the three of us. The agent says "What's going on guys? Are you interested?" To which we both say yes at the same time. He asks us are we going to have the auction now, then looks up into the street & sees that the auctioneer has gone. He says "Do you want to make an offer?", "Yes" we both say. He scratches his head & mentions this is a strange auction. He eventually gives us both a piece of paper so we can write our offer on it. We both talk some more, trying to get a feel of what the other is writing.

After the other bidder handed in his offer, the Agent says thats a bit low, then gets mine & says thats better. He goes off to ring the vendor, hiding behind the corner of the house so we can't hear what he is saying. It did him no good as the sound carries & we both make silly comments about how the Agent should have just rung up in front of us. He comes back & tells us it is below reserve & we better make another offer. He tells us that the reserve is $210k.

We, again, take our time writing our offers. I mention I am trying to work out how much it is worth to me, the other bidder says he is trying to work out how much it's worth to me as well. The agent gets a little toey & says come on guys I saw how much writing was on your last offers, it doesn't need to take this long. Still we stall.

We give the agent our sheets of paper. He reads mine, raises an eyebrow, then reads the other bidder's. He won't tell us whose was highest just rings the vendor. He tells the vendor the highest price & then comes back & shakes my hand. My price was $195650, the other bidder was $195000. The agent is thrilled that he got a sale from us & is muttering about how he has never heard of such a bizzare auction. We are all still laughing, the other bidder shakes my hand as well, & says "You can't buy them all you know". His phone rings & he says to the caller "No, I'm still at the auction & my nemisis is here & she got me again."

We go up to the gate where there is still a couple of neighbours & the agent's assistant & she says "Well did you buy it?" we both answer yes. She doesn't know what to believe & says "What, did you go halves or something?" We both try to lead her on a bit, he says no he bought it for $147k, I say, no I bought it for $182k. Poor girl, she looks at our smiling faces & says no that can't be right. More laughing from all parties. I have to run off as I'm now late for my next appointment. I say my goodbyes & rush off.

All up this auction took an hour. All parties involved seemed to have fun. Bring on the next one.

oooh - good on you skater. i am currently getting my finance structure looked at to loosen up some more equity for further purchases. standing still is so hard to do.

one thing i really got out of you story was the advantages of putting an odd amount on the end of your offer. years ago i topped another silent bid by $100 because the other party rounded off.

lizzie

Congratulations Skater,

You seem to be on a roll. I saw pictures of the place you were renovating. I would have run in the oposite direction as I don't have the skills to fix something like that but I take my hat of to you. Hope your reno is nearing completion and all gone well.

Congrats skater :)

If you don't mind me asking I saw you were in Sydney what kind of properties and in what location are you picking them up for that price?

I'm in the process of closing a studio in Potts Point for about $170K.

sonic said:
Congrats skater :)

If you don't mind me asking I saw you were in Sydney what kind of properties and in what location are you picking them up for that price?

I'm in the process of closing a studio in Potts Point for about $170K.
Hi Sonic

I live in Western Sydney so that is where this last one is, same as the reno. But I have properties in other areas as well.

Don't know much about the market in Potts Point, but that seems a fair price. Personal preferance, but I prefer houses. I don't have to deal with Body Corporates then.

Thanks skater

I enjoyed reading that.

And you've touched on a really good point, have fun!:D

Cheers
quoll

Phew!!!

Ohhhh is that all :rolleyes:

And here I was thinking it was something serious, like you passed wind!!!! :eek:

Seriously, well done Skater!!! Congrats on the new addition to the IP family. ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Well done skater.

Was a good read and sounds like you bought well.

Hope the other bloke isn't at your next auction, feel sorry for him, lol.

Regards
Marty

kissfan said:
Well done skater.

Was a good read and sounds like you bought well.

Hope the other bloke isn't at your next auction, feel sorry for him, lol.

Regards
Marty
Hi Marty, I quite like the other guy. I have met him at two other auctions & each time I've bought the property. It seems that his criteria is similar to mine. The funny thing is that at all three auctions we have been the only ones bidding. :D

The funny thing is that at all three auctions we have been the only ones bidding.
Skater,are you sure he did not own all the properties
and took you along for the ride it does happen.
willair..

willair said:
The funny thing is that at all three auctions we have been the only ones bidding.
Skater,are you sure he did not own all the properties
and took you along for the ride it does happen.
willair..
Impossible, 2 mortgagee sales, 1 deceased estate. :D

skater said:
Probably, he did say "You can't buy them all you know".

I'll be there at some stage , though I won't be bidding against you and BH. I'll leave the renovators specials to those with the time and expertise ;) . I'll be waiting for a while as I still think the market has a way to go before it hits the bottom.

See Change

see_change said:
I'll be there at some stage , though I won't be bidding against you and BH. I'll leave the renovators specials to those with the time and expertise ;) . I'll be waiting for a while as I still think the market has a way to go before it hits the bottom.

See Change
Oh no, not more competition. I like it when there's only one other bidding. The last two weren't renovators. Ready to let as is. :D

I think you are right, the market does still have a bit to go, but I'm of the opinion that if you get it cheap enough it won't matter. The market would have to drop significantly more for it to be detrimental. :p :)

Hi all,

Skater, next time you run into him, suggest that he gives the forum a visit. Then again he may already be here!
Another few stories, and style of investing would be welcomed.

bye

P.S. congrats on the latest purchase.

Bill.L said:
Hi all,

Skater, next time you run into him, suggest that he gives the forum a visit. Then again he may already be here!
Another few stories, and style of investing would be welcomed.

bye

P.S. congrats on the latest purchase.
He would indeed be a great asset to the forum. He & his family own in excess of 50 properties or so I am told. He does come here & lurk from time to time, but hasn't ever posted. As I said, he is a very nice guy & would make a great asset to the forum.

see_change said:
I don't want anyone else bidding :)

See Change
The experienced investors aren't too bad. ;) Although, obviously its better when there's no-one else there. Its the newbies or home owners that I would prefer stay away.

Back