A wife can be useful

Just recently my wife was on a buying trip to the Gold Coast.

I called her two days later for an update. She told me "I'm the only one walking in and you can get anything you want". To my amazement she was talking about the local Land Agents Offices and not the Ladies Shoe Store or Fashion Shops.

What an excellent assessment of the Gold Coast property market, no competition and everything is for sale.

What I love about woman is their non statistical and common sense approach to property investment.

Cheers Ladies

A lack of competition doesn't mean that what you're purchasing is a worthwhile investment. But you probably know that.

How did you go? Did you buy anything?

And I found the title of your post funny :)

markp said:
She told me "I'm the only one walking in and you can get anything you want".
You may be able to get anything you want, BUT are the prices nearing the bottom of the downturn, & are the vendors realistic? :)

What an excellent assessment of the Gold Coast property market, no competition and everything is for sale.
mark,
The Gold Goast cover a large area what areas did you look in,
did you see any sold signs anywhere?,and how many offers did
you make,next time have a look in the tedder ave area in
southport,everybody still wants highrise units beach side.
good luck
willair..

mmmm

I prefer to be in a market where barely anything is for sale and there's lots of buyers.

Provided I've bought in first.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Glebe said:
A lack of competition doesn't mean that what you're purchasing is a worthwhile investment. But you probably know that.

How did you go? Did you buy anything?

And I found the title of your post funny :)

I bought a new dress, and a nice pair of blue shoes to match,reduced to half price, a real bargain they were.

Cheers

Last edited:
Really useful!

My wife just bought us a new car (for us) at the auctions.

About 1/2 the market price - a Falcon Forte 2002 model for 9K - the market (insured) value is 18K.

I said - we could turn around and sell this and make a profit - but got a dark look...

So I am grateful to her for her acumen and guts to go through with it :)

It's good to see that given the opportunity no one has bagged out their wife. I have several theories on this:

A. Forumites are positive people
B. Wife also reads forum and knows your handle
C. Wife is looking over shoulder
D. Wife is wonderful, witty, charming and intelligent
E. All of the above

I choose all of the above, because I'm a suck up.... and (B). :D

G'day Bargain Hunter,

A. Forumites are positive people
B. Wife also reads forum and knows your handle
C. Wife is looking over shoulder
D. Wife is wonderful, witty, charming and intelligent
E. All of the above
Probably F. We know which side of the fence our bread's buttered on...
:p

Rgeards,

My wife 'to be' has nil interest in the property game and as soon as i try to talk about anything related to property she just switches off. She just assumes that all the decisions i will make will be the right ones! does anyone have any quick fix for this issue???? :)

always curious, I think your wife went to fowles at eagle farm in brisbane... Is this right? I travelled to brisbane for a folwes water damaged auctions few weeks back. No luck however!!!

Ofcourse i still vote D toooo

Georges

GeorgesA,

I was the reluctant one in the partnership, I earned the money and my wife invested in property.

It is only now that we have a reasonable portfolio that I consider myself a property investor and have started to become involved in all things property. I will say even now though that alot of the final decisions are heavily weighted to my wifes expertise, but I'm learning.

Whether your wife will ever be interested I can't say. Perhaps it will be the day you declare you are retiring.

It is great though to be able to share a passion. :)

GeorgesA said:
My wife 'to be' has nil interest in the property game and as soon as i try to talk about anything related to property she just switches off. She just assumes that all the decisions i will make will be the right ones! does anyone have any quick fix for this issue???? :)

Georges
my husband was the one that wasn't interested. we fought over the kitchen island bench (on opposite sides) numerous times when i was trying to get him to sign documents for purchase ... until he realised that out of all the properties i had bought, none had gone bad, all had made money, i didn't expect him to do the work on them and he got a new yacht out of some profits.

now he just signs where i point, even likes to dabble with some of the pre-tenant repairs and doesn't ask any questions. the change of attitude is such a relief.

he's still not overly interested in the property as such - it is just a means of investment - as is busy with his own work, our family and sailing, but he is supportive if not involved.

suits us both
lizzie

The thing that concerns me about wives/husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends (I don't like the term 'partner' - being in a relationship isn't in a business venture) that aren't interested is what happens if you die? They have zero or very little knowledge of investing and will most likely lose most of it should something happen to you.

I talked to my (now ex) girlfriend at length about these issues myself and once she came to the realisation that should something happen to me she would have no idea how to 'run' the portfolio, she left me.... just joking!

No, she then (somewhat reluctantly) started doing a bit of reading and took a bit more interest in how things worked, just in case, then she left me! I feel it's imperative for 'the better half' in a relationship to have at least a working knowledge of your investments, otherwise I don't like the idea of what could happen should the 'knowledgeable' person pass away.

Mark Laszczuk said:
The thing that concerns me about wives/husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends (I don't like the term 'partner' - being in a relationship isn't in a business venture) that aren't interested is what happens if you die? They have zero or very little knowledge of investing and will most likely lose most of it should something happen to you.

Same deal with kids, the wife and I have organised our wills and trying to work out at what age to let the kids are access to the capital was an issue. In the end we decided on 25 and have started trying to educate the kids on how to deal with cash, properties, investments, etc. What more can you do.

I guess I'm lucky that the wife is interested in property, shares and business's.

cheers
quoll

lizzie said:
my husband was the one that wasn't interested. we fought over the kitchen island bench (on opposite sides) numerous times when i was trying to get him to sign documents for purchase ... until he realised that out of all the properties i had bought, none had gone bad, all had made money, i didn't expect him to do the work on them and he got a new yacht out of some profits.

now he just signs where i point, even likes to dabble with some of the pre-tenant repairs and doesn't ask any questions. the change of attitude is such a relief.

he's still not overly interested in the property as such - it is just a means of investment - as is busy with his own work, our family and sailing, but he is supportive if not involved.

suits us both
lizzie

I know exactly what you mean. When we first started out hubby was involved with the purchase & reno of the very first one. The next lot were purchased interstate & regional NSW. He never saw them. They were all cashflow possitive so didn't disrupt our lifestyle. It was just something that I tinkered with. Even our PPOR, I found & told him we were buying it. He has always been supportive, but not really involved. He has been looking at some with me locally for quite a while, but I think it was just him trying to be interested & supportive.

All that changed at the start of this year. He located a little one line add in the local paper for a property that was to go to auction. Then a week before there was a larger add. This was the only advertising & we ended up buying it at a steal. He was very pleased with himself I believe for finding this property.

Then the week that settled we bought a renovator that I didn't want. He went behind my back & spoke to the broker & told me we can borrow xxx so we are going to bid on this one as well. This was the day before the auction. I reluctantly said OK & set a limit which he thought was too low. He reluctantly agreed to stay under the limit & we bought that one too. We are now waiting on settlement of another 2 that we have bought. The problem now is that his ideal investment is not the same as my ideal investment, so it is a compromise.

Just recently he mentioned to me that he is a "property investor" and that it had taken him by surprise, as although we have a reasonable portfolio he never considered himself an investor. I keep telling him "I have created a monster". It's all in good fun, as I thoroughly enjoy having him beside me in our investing and he has different strengths to my own so I believe we compliment each other perfectly.

skater said:
I know exactly what you mean ... It's all in good fun, as I thoroughly enjoy having him beside me in our investing and he has different strengths to my own so I believe we compliment each other perfectly.
i do have a wee chuckle to myself when, in public, they are always "our" investment properties - but when something needs to be done/fixed/over budget are always "mine"

someone should write a book called, "IP for dummies"
A really simple one that I can give to the wife to be...
Or maybe a sit-com which deals with property investment issues...

Home and away???

or

Home and Away property portfolios maybe?

Back