Brisbane schools and family-friendly suburbs

We are moving to Brisbane next year and seeking advice from Brisbane based forumites... where can we find the good schools in the Brisbane suburbs(within 10km of CBD). We have 2.5 kids - our son is 3.5yrs, our daughter is 1.5yrs and our third is -0.5yrs (not yet born) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately we'll need to live close in to Brisbane because of work, and travel to-from the city but we're looking at a 4br place with a decent block... for our soon to be large-family ;)

Are there any good, family-friendly suburbs near the city that fit this profile? School reputations and family-centric suburbs are hard to find when you're not in the State, and not "on the ground" so to speak.

I'd be very grateful for any recommendations you might have?
Do you have a family home with kids in Brisbane? Where do you live?

Thanking you kindly in advance,
Paul & Michelle

Rubachicken
For public primary schools - Ironside in St Lucia has an excellent reputation. I've been told the primary school at Buranda is also very good, as it's developing a new curriculum. If you want to be close to train lines, shops etc, have a look around Clayfield/Eagle Junction, as the EJ Primary school is well regarded.
Good luck with the move and new addition.
Cheers
Elizabeth L :)

If you want a great suburb, 9km from the city (15 minutes usual travel) family friendly, with a magnificent state school and reasonable house prices, don't overlook Salisbury.

I moved here 4 years ago, without knowing anything about the suburb (other than my partner lived here) and I wouldn't live in any other Brisbane Suburb.

asy :D

Hi alwayscurious, actually we don't mind either. A good public school can be just as good in my opinion. I think it really comes down to the individual teachers that make up the school, and not how much money the school has.

Thank you for your excellent insights, we will definately take a look at Nudgee, Wavel Heights, St Lucia, Buranda, and Salisbury and see how affordable these areas are ;)

We do know *a bit* about St Lucia since we recently bought an investment property (unit) in Indooroopilly.

So far, just flying blind we have researched some suburbs in the near south-east, such as Mt Gravatt, Nathan, Tarragindi, Holland Park, Annerley and Greenslopes. Mainly because (based on our RACQ Brisbane map) they are close proximity to the city for travel (along the South East Freeway), on the Pacific Hwy for easy Gold Coast access :cool: and reasonably affordable. We were particularly interested Mt Gravatt since the area looked very green, with lots of big trees and some hillside properties with nice views.

I should probably also mention that our price range would be 400k (perhaps 500k at a real stretch) :eek: for a 4BR.

As for how these south-east suburbs fair with public schools, we have NO IDEA :) Do you have any thoughts on these areas??

Thanks again for your excellent comments so far.

- Paul & Michelle

P&M

I know exactly where you are coming from.

Not sure if this has an impact on things but when you are looking around it may pay to bear in mind the construction that will be occurring in Brisbane with tunnels etc. If you are inner city I think you're going to have to realise that commuting in it might be a nightmare for the next few years until the tunnels etc get done as the infrastructure is so bad.

I think some info might be available on the Brisbane city council website. From what I understand they are runnign with option 2 plan on where to put everything.

Personally what I dont like about the s/e freeway is if one car breaks down it clogs up the entire freeway. But that being said if you are going on public transport the busway is great. Suppose its all going to depend on where you are going to work from.

Also, have a look at suburbs like Ashgrove, Bardon, Corinda, Oxley, Annerley... personally I'd spend a few weekends up here to check things out.

You also have to bear in mind that a lot of the places in that 10k region in your price range may be older places, and the newer houses will be on the outskirts.

Also i think that the govt is going to be producing a report on schools to show performances but dont know when that is coming (you get that w/the Beattie govt a lot!)
Other sources which might help to some extent are the real estate institute of queensland website.

Tarragindi, Holland Park, Annerley and Greenslopes. Mainly because (based on our RACQ Brisbane map) they are close proximity to the city for travel (along the South East Freeway), on the Pacific Hwy for easy Gold Coast access :cool:

I should probably also mention that our price range would be 400k (perhaps 500k..
Rubachicken,
imho,
Tarragindi,Annerley,are central to most schools on the inner southside
we have a rental property in Tarragindi,4121,that backs onto the toohey
forest,some are very private and quite streets in that area,with Annerley
i think its going backwards too many townhouses,and old units..
thats only my opinions,but i would look at Tarragindi in the high hill
areas with city views.........they will become priceless in years to come..
good luck
willair..

Thanks for the valuable info.

Lukentel, I checked out the website http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/
and found the Brisbane City Plan 2000 which you referred to. It's available in a lot of Brisbane local public libraries, and you can buy a full copy for $441. Kind of expensive, but probably worth the investment if you're serious about buying around Brisbane CBD like we are.

First I'll check our public libraries in Victoria and see if anyone holds a copy...

Peter Beatie also has the South East Queensland (SEQ) Regional Plan recently developed, which I found at the Office of Urban Management website http://www.oum.qld.gov.au/. Looks like the two planning documents are probably related to each other, one being state government, and one local city council.

Yes, we also heard about Beatie's school performance publications, and we're looking forward to seeing them ;)

Thanks again.
P&M

A few quick add-ons...
From what I know, Mayor Newman came to the harsh realisation earlier that he wouldnt be able to pull the tunnel plan thru without state assistance and the council wont be able to pull it off.

From what I heard I think hes' going to hit up Beattie for the shortfall.

But... remember the guy who typed the regional plan up isnt Campbell or Peter and at the same time isnt the guy who's going to be putting the roads thru etc.

Point being I dont know if any of them really know what in the hell they are doing, and how much you can really trust them or what their offices print.

Hi all,

could anyone give me any info at all about Shorncliffe? Family friendly etc.

Are there any other suburbs that would fit this thread and be close to the airport as well?

cheers

Shorncliffe is at the end of the train line to Sandgate area, quiet, bayside, genteel, with heaps of upside. Though only a small suburb itself. Sandgate to me is probably one of the best choices you could make for a future proof investment.

Re schools, I suggest Paul and Michelle get in touch with the Brisbane office of the company they will be working for, and ask for advice there re where employees live and send their kids.

Some consider GPS schools offer distinct advantages for maximising Uni Entry scores, and socialization with future elites. THough they are concentrated close to the cbd (on the northside of the river), and I wouldn't personally submit my kids to an additional hour of travel a day, for the privilege. Further, if you don't have experience with GPS schools, they have a long reputation of teaching to the top half of the class, and leaving the rest behind.

TAS schools are similar, though are younger schools in general and are located further from the centre of town.

There are good state schools scattered around the place, and I'd personally rather send my kids to a disciplined state school than a private school going through a bad spell resting on its previous reputation. The quality of some of the private school principals I have heard about recently leaves a lot to be desired.

Interestingly enough, I don't know of any school that teaches kids how to invest in property............

Who's watching the shoot out???? 3-1

Hiya

If you are interested in Mt Gravatt then you should also have alook at surrounding suburbs such as Carindale, Kuraby and Eight Mile Plains. All really nice suburbs. Eight Mile Plains also has a bus exchange with express buses to the city and it's a 5 min hop on/hop off to the Pacific Highway or the Gateway. Gatewy takes you the airport and Sunshine Coast.

Eight Mile Plains prices have just sky rocketed in recent years. You can get buy properties from $300k, however land prices start from $300k for a 600sqm block and house and land packages start from $500k up to $800k.

It's brilliant area to live in. Lots of good schools, 2 mins to Westfield Garden City and Sunnybank Plaza and loads of restaurants around here to eat.

Back